• Published 23rd Feb 2015
  • 1,996 Views, 97 Comments

Translucent Heart: Tales of a half breed - Harmony Split



Do you think that every changeling is bad deep in it’s heart? Do you know that some changelings, especially the mares are nothing better than slaves? My name is Aurora Blue. I’m a half breed and this is my Story.

  • ...
13
 97
 1,996

Welcome to Manehattan!

Chapter six: Welcome to Manehattan!

The sun was tickling my coat, I could feel it but after all that had happened, I would’ve loved to just lay here, being covered by time and forgotten while dying. Sadly, this was not an option if I wanted to keep Berryshine safe.

Wake up! The day is young and you’ve got a lot of work to do!

Oh, great, and I had hoped that the nightmare you caused me satisfied you enough.

You quickly realized that it was me and just a dream. You would’ve wounded me otherwise, captain.

Shut up! I’m not doing this for the hive so you’d better just forget my rank.

Mhh we’ll see about that. Now, you should go. Manehatten is far away and the train won’t wait for you as well as your contact in the city.

What? Contact?

Yes, now move! There is no more time to waste!

Grumbling, I got onto my shaking hooves and tried to orientate myself. However, I was not really able to do so. There was nothing around to use as a reference and flying up to the air to take a look wasn’t really an option, being weakened by the wound on my flank.

Use the spell, you’ll feel better!

It was right. I knew that the spell would stop the bleeding and dry the wound. But I still hesitated, unsure if it would drain too much of my power, maybe the last that was left.

I promise you, there is enough power left in you. You count yourself short, captain. Besides, I wouldn’t lie to see you drained in cause I needed your power.

Oh yes, that calms me down really well.

Despite my words I concentrated on the wound, trying to remember every part of the spell. First, I stopped the bleeding and cleaned the wound. After that, I dried and sealed it. My breathing went a bit heavier, but I felt much better.

As I said…

You’re not always telling the truth. Most of the time you’re lying!

I spared your mother and taught you nearly everything I could to make sure you would survive.

You did it only for your own goals! You lied to me and manipulated me more than just once.

Enough! You won’t disagree anymore or I’ll visit your little mare! See that little bushel to your right? Follow it’s shadow and you’re heading north.

I was about to reply, but decided against it. Berry didn’t need any more trouble. Reaching the town as fast as possible seemed like a good idea considering my state. And Berry would be safe. As I moved, my mind wandered again.

I wonder what Berry is doing now. Would she be out searching for me, did she even miss me?

Stop worrying like a filly. Keep walking until you see train tracks. There should be a freight train coming along every few hours. It will be headed to Manehattan if I remember right.

“This is ridiculous!” I muttered to nopony particular, but kept up my walk.

I walked for quite some time, there was nothing around me besides desert and some dry bushes from time to time. Then, a different colour found it’s way onto the ground: tracks.

Now you wait here. The train shouldn’t take long to arrive. I’ve already spent too much power dealing with you. Once you are at the Manehatten station, one of the hive will be waiting for you.

If it was up to me, you could use your last bit of power on me and die right away!

I can’t die!

“We’ll see about that, someday.” was all I replied with, but I only whispered it and then blocked it out of my mind.

It felt like countless hours before I heard the whistling sound of a train, then a blurry shape in the distance. I rose to my hooves, not that easily since I started to feel tired and weak.

One last thing. Disguise yourself. They will be looking for your natural form after everything that has happened.

I scowled, I disliking disguising to a near point of pure hate. Besides, I liked my normal form. On the other hoof, I knew it was right, and that it would put Berry in danger to stay as I was.

Berry…

With a smile I concentrated, my coat turned plum, and my mane raspberry with a quick, green flash. I looked pretty much like Berryshine now, just with wings. Sadly, I never really looked at her cutie mark so I had to improvise on that, three clouds appeared on my flank.

Nothing genius, but I guess it’ll do.

I greatly underestimated your feelings.

What?

There was no answer as the train came closer. I had doubt that the train would stop and just let me get on it, so I laid down right next to the track and hoped that the driver would see me and stop to see if everything was alright.

Where’s the merciless fighter from my hive? You’re worrying too much about ponies and other stuff. If I had to suggest, I would say you’ve grown extremely weak.

Oh just bucking shut up, I’m doing what you say, now please let me have my peace for a few minutes.

The train came closer and as I thought it would just pass by me, the sudden shrieking of brakes gave lie to that thought.

As the train came to a stop, for mere seconds nothing happened, then I heard hoofsteps, accompanied by the hard sound of shifting metal.

Guards… how great…

“Are you alright? Can you hear me?” A voice asked, but it wasn’t the typical guard voice.

I looked up and saw a purple pegasus mare in matching shiny, purple armor. She inspected me with concern and interest, but also caution.

What sort of guard is this?

“My name is Purple Star. Is everything alright with you? What’s your name?” the guard asked, my mind rumbled.

My name? Oh buck… name… name… oh, I got it…

“I don’t know… I think I just passed out. I’m… I’m Morning Dew.

I gave her the name of my grandmother, hoping it would be enough. The kind smile I received made me relax a bit. Maybe it wasn’t that bad. The guard shuffled her wings and nodded to the train.

“Come with me. You can explain everything inside, but we have to keep our schedule. This train is going to Manehattan.”

I smiled and rose. “Oh this is great. My cousin lives there!”

You’re not the best liar, you know that?

My smile cracked a bit but the guard had already turned and walked back to the one door that stood open. I followed her and went in, the purple mare closed the door behind me after blowing a small whistle. Slowly, the train moved again and picked up some speed.

“So tell me, Morning Dew… what were you doing in the middle of the desert without baggage, food, or even water?” Purple Star asked me as she sat down, inviting me with a motion to take the place across from her.

Sitting down, I sighed before answering. “I don’t really know. A moment ago I was at Dodge City, then you were there… I think I was at the train station… ugh my head hurts…” I rubbed my head and shook it, trying to set up a face of pain.

“Did you get robbed? Or maybe worse?” her voice was really concerned now.

“I… I don’t think so.” my voice cracked, nearly inaudible.

Purple Star nodded before leaning back and closing her eyes. “You should rest a bit, it’s quite a long ride to Manehattan,” she cracked an eye open, “But if you want we can talk a bit later.”

“You’re pretty… different and interesting for an guard.” the words blurred out of my muzzle before I could shut it.

She laughed, a soft laugh that seemed so unfitting to her armor. “I’m not just any ordinary guard. I’m one of the lunar guard, more than a mere protector. Maybe i’ll tell you that story later,” after a smirk her eyes closed again.

Lunar guard. That sounds familiar.

They’re the personal guard of Princess Luna. Rarely seen anywhere else other than Canterlot.

Why is a personal guard of the princess of the night traveling in a freight train?

I don’t know. These guard’s just reappeared after Princess Luna came back from her banishment.

She is… interesting.

You try to befriend everypony on your way now?

Oh shut up… I thought you spent too much energy?

I closed my eyes, trying to relax. Everything was happening too fast and I had no clue what to do in Manehattan. I didn’t even knew where that changeling would live.

I will guide you then.

How nice of you…

The scenery passed by the window with speed as time went by. I had no way of knowing how long the trip would take, so I tried to get somewhat comfortable. Purple Star cracked an eye open from time to time to watch me, I could feel her gaze over me, but everytime I looked back she seemed asleep.

“May I ask you why a Lunar Guard is going to Manehattan?” I asked, as my curiosity finally got the better of me.

Purple Star shifted into another position and opened her eyes, seemly smiling. “I’m taking my vacation. Finally going home after a one-year duty.”

I looked at her wings again. “Wouldn’t that be Cloudsdale? The home of the pegasus.”

She smiled. “That would be the case, if I was just a normal pegasus.”

Confused, I took a closer look, and she showed me her teeth with a smile. They were sharper than the average pony’s teeth, also I recognized her slightly larger ears now. She was all but a normal pegasus.

“What are you, exactly?” my curiosity won once again.

“I’m a mix between a pegasus and a bat-pony, a half breed if you want to call it that.” Purple Star said hesitantly, giving me a shy smile.

I gave her one smile back. “That only makes you special.”

Oh, come on! Stop this sappy stuff already…

Give me a break, damn it!

Purple Star perked her ears and smiled sheepishly, a slightly seeable blush on her cheeks as she looked out of the window. “We’ll be there in a few minutes.”

I looked out as well, trying to gather any information that I could as the sky got darker. After a few seconds I could make out some lights far away, they were coming closer as time went by. Soon, the lights sparkled up in dozens, then hundreds, and I gasped. Manehattan sure had to be a big city.

Purple Star stretched her limbs and got up with a wink, she went about collecting her things. Her ‘collecting’ included grabbing all of her stuff and just throwing it into her saddlebags.

“I’ll accompany you to your cousin if you want. Manehattan isn’t really safe at night. Besides, then I can see where you stay and visit you later, if you want that is.” she said to me and blushed furiously.

I just smiled and nodded, preparing for everything.

I really hope you do know the way. One mistake and Purple Star might get suspicious of us.

Purple Star might get suspicious of us! Oh no!

I shook my head in annoyance and waited for the train to arrive at the station, Purple Star opening the door and jumping outside with me.

Now you better tell me the way.

Follow the main hall of the station, then head south towards the big park with the fountain, you’ll see.

I smiled at the purple mare and took the lead, trying to spot the fountain. It wasn’t hard to find since it was the largest object in the small park. Slowly I walked in that direction, listening to any other directions.

Now to the right into that alley, then the third street on the left.

Grumbling, I did as she told me, not that I had a choice in the first place. If I tried something, Berry would suffer for it and it would only make create some awkward questions from Purple Star. I counted the streets and took the third left, finding myself looking at a street with various smaller houses and apartment complexes.

Look on the right side. There should be a house with a big lemon tree in it’s front garden. That’s it.

Hesitantly, I looked for the tree and soon found it, then headed into the small alley of the house. If you could call it house after all. It was big enough to make Berry’s home look like a hut. I stopped in front of the door and turned to Purple Star.

“Thank you very much for everything. Hope to see you soon?” I slowly asked her expression brighten up.

“Sure, can’t wait for that.” Purple Star answered and wrapped me in a big, more-than-friendly hug before she turned and left, waving as long as she was in sight.

I sighed and turned towards the door, knocking slightly. The pegasus that opened, wasn’t the one I wanted to see after all. The pegasus was the only one that loved to stay disguised as pony all the time, and she was one of the rare mares of the hive.

“Oh welcome to Manehattan, Cousin.” Lavender Skies greeted me, her eyes flashing in a tint of green, her smile wicked, and I gulped.

A green aura enveloped me, pulling me inside the building and the door closed shut behind me.

I’m doomed.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the delay, was pretty busy the last two weeks.

Thanks to Don and Twidashforever for editing this while Forgotten is busy with her exams.

Enjoy this chapter, next one will be a surprise!