• Published 23rd Feb 2015
  • 1,996 Views, 97 Comments

Translucent Heart: Tales of a half breed - Harmony Split



Do you think that every changeling is bad deep in it’s heart? Do you know that some changelings, especially the mares are nothing better than slaves? My name is Aurora Blue. I’m a half breed and this is my Story.

  • ...
13
 97
 1,996

Not in control

Chapter five: Not in control

I don’t know how long I walked. After some time, my run slowed down to a stiff walk thanks to the wound on my flank. It took its toll on me after that blind run, and I felt weak, but I had enough strength left in me to take my pony form again.

I will never be able to go back…

My mind still felt heavy, and I knew that it was somewhere there. It had taken over my body and hijacked my powers during the fight, and I hadn’t the faintest idea how it did that. Maybe it was some kind or parasite?

Oh, how you wound me, Aurora!

Can’t you just shut up for once?

I helped you!

You used me! It wasn’t me who attacked that changeling, and it wasn’t me who got rid of the corpse!

I never used you. I just gave you the motivation and the power that made you fight.

How?

I’m you. Your other half, the one you keep locked away.

I don’t think that’s the truth.

It was a lie, I was sure of it. The other me had complete control over me, and it didn’t feel like it was just my changeling side taking over. No, more like something else that invaded my mind and controlled everything.

Mmm, I’m not a parasite. No… Not me.

You’re not really helping me.

I blinked, trying to get a sense of my surroundings, and spotted a familiar place in the desert around me. A small, rotten carriage wreck that I knew all too well.

Oh my, how did I wind up here? After all that time running, I should have passed it a long time ago.

Without hesitation, I stepped over to it and laid down next to it. I didn’t know why, but it felt right, and I needed to rest anyways. The blood was still dripping down my flank and my rear leg, weakening me further.

If you would use one of the spells we have taught you, it would be easier.

What spell?

Just an easy spell to dry the bleeding.

You didn’t teach me that spell, it was the… no, that can’t be.

Oh, well… I guess I spoke it out by accident.

You are dead! That can’t be!

I’m not dead, just not in good shape. Remember that I told you I would be able to communicate with everyone of my hive, even if I wasn’t in any state for it?

In that case, you’re not the queen. You’re the hive mind…

Ohh, not as slow in the head as I first thought.

How could you take over my body? I thought you could only communicate.

That’s what I did, Aurora. I whispered the right words into your sweet, tortured little mind and then your instincts took over. For getting rid of the corpse, I just gave you the energy and knowledge to use the spell. Everything you did was all on you!

That can’t be!

Oh, it sure can!

It made no sense, but I wasn’t eager to continue that conversation. I hadn’t realized how long I’d been walking, but the sun was slowly going down.

You can’t just ignore me.

I can, and I will!

I stretched my wings and shifted to get myself more comfortable on the ground. With a sigh, I began to hum a melody. A soft sound that always made me relax and feel better. It was the lullaby my mother always sung to me when I was a foal, so long ago. Somewhere behind the song, I could hear the voice trying to get my attention, but I wasn’t listening anymore. Everything that counted was the soft melody, and all the good memories that came with it.

***

When I awoke, I was laying on the couch in Berryshine’s house, and I had no idea why. Looking around, nothing really seemed wrong. Everything was like I remembered it.

The door opened and I jumped when Berryshine stuck her head in, “Oh, sorry if I woke you up, Aurora. You overslept, and we have to open the café soon.”

I blinked, dumbfounded, my poor mind trying to figure out what was going on. I was sure that I had ran away and fell asleep in the desert.

What now?

Berryshine’s expression turned to worry and she stepped in, “Is everything alright?”

I wanted to ask her what was going on, asking if something was wrong here, but in the next moment there was a shadow behind Berry. As it approached her I tried to warn her, but it was too late.

A green beam, a scream, and the only sound following was the one of Berryshine’s body hitting the ground.

No...No...No!

The shadow disappeared while I ran to Berry, nudging her softly, “Berry? Berry, please, talk to me!”

It was to no use. Berry’s eyes were wide open, staring emptily in my direction with every sign of life within them erased. My legs shook and felt like rubber. I fell down as if my legs weren’t even there, the limbs no longer able to support my weight.

Without thinking, I nuzzled as close as I could to her, burying my face in her still warm coat. Slowly, my mind faded away as everything sunk into the black hole that hid deep in my chest. My heart and mind struggled to continue working.

***

“Wake up, Aurora.”

I stirred, but left my eyes closed, not willing to wake up again. All I wanted to do was die in peace and forget everything.

“I don’t think I can allow that. Now wake up, Aurora!”

I knew this voice from somewhere, but my mind wasn’t able to figure it out.

“If I were you, I would wake up soon, Aurora,” the voice turned cold, and I slowly cracked my eyes open.

What I saw made me jump up immediately. A black, thin body with long legs, covered with holes. Those shining green wings like those of an insect, and then that face, so familiar but feared.

This can’t be…

“Ahh… you finally decided to wake up! Why don’t you kneel in front of your Queen?” those cold eyes mustered me while a smile grew on her face.

“You are not real!” I screamed at the top of my lungs, barely hearing her words.

“Maybe I’m not real here, but I’m real inside your head. You can’t run away, and you can’t hide. If you try, your precious earth pony friend will suffer until she wished she was dead!” she replied, the evil grin on her muzzle sending a shiver down my spine.

Something snapped in me at the thought of Berryshine being hurt, “If you touch her, I will let you suffer from hunger and kill you slowly in the worst possible way!” I wasn’t sure if it was really my voice that said it, so cold and deep like an angry growl.

She just laughed at me, the sound clinging in my ears while my anger raised, “How amusing… You like her, don’t you? Do you really think that she, or anypony else, could ever accept you? Without the Hive, without me, you are nothing. Maybe even less.”

Somehow, she is right. I don’t think Berry could accept my true nature once I drop the disguise.

“We both know that I’m right, and I’m kind enough to offer you something again. Join the Hive once more. Work and live for me, and I’ll allow you to live in peace, doing what you want with most of your time. There is only one thing I want. You leave the earth pony,” the Queen concluded before reaching a hoof in my direction, but I hesitated.

Can I really do this? It would ensure that Berry is safe. I don’t think I really have a choice…

“Why should I do that?” I asked, trying to gather some time.

“Because otherwise, I will kill her and make you watch her suffer. If you accept, however, you have to leave her because I want you to suffer, but she will be safe,” she clicked with her tongue, “You have my word.”

“I want more than your word for it! Swear to it that you, or anypony you control, won’t ever hurt her!” I said, focusing on her with a cold gaze.

Her laugh echoed once again, “You really learned something. Okay, I swear by my status and my blood that I, and anypony from my hive, won’t hurt her for as long as you do what I say,” with that she brought a hoof to her teeth and sliced it open with a fang.

I hesitated, but slowly kneeled down, “In that case, I’m yours again.”

I don’t have any choice.

“You will listen to me from now on, without any restrictions. Once the sun is up, head north and you will reach some train tracks. They lead to a bigger town. We will discuss the details later,” she said and laughed, waving a hoof while walking away.

I’m her tool again…

Her laugh followed me and I curled myself into a ball. My life had just made a U-turn, and it was at the same point where I was years ago.

Tears rolled down my muzzle as the black took me again. I felt helpless and small, but at least Berry would survive. She would survive, and hopefully be happy.

Please forgive me, Berryshine.


Author's Note:

Chapter five early.
It's short, but that was intended.
Chapter six will be late since I'm focusing on Dashing over the next week