• Published 18th Dec 2014
  • 5,540 Views, 468 Comments

Rise of an Empire, Fall of Another - Kyuubi325



To the far east across the vast sea is the forgotten homeland of the diamond dogs. A land once full of poverty, sickness, and famine has become a new super power that threatens Equestrias economic dominance/standing.

  • ...
23
 468
 5,540

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 42

Zebrica
New Timbuktu
Equestrian Embassy
Twilight’s Private Quarters
2:34 PM

The purple princess sighed slowly as she sighed document after document. Hoofcramps becoming increasingly difficult to ignore, eventually, she just dropped the quill. Taking a moment to gently rub her wrist humming a bit she was stirred from her thoughts as a rapid knock brought her back. “Come in?” She turned her head to the door curiously.

A Telegraph Colt entered the room, the little bat pony smiling up nervously inadvertently showing off his snaggle tooth. “E-Emergency Message to the Equestrian Embassy!” He dug into the saddlebag before pulling out an envelope with a bright red wax seal.

Twilights eyebrows raised at she stared at the packet blankly. Only being pulled out of her thoughts by the colt nervously clearing his throat. “T-that will be-“ He was cut off as a hefty stack of bills were handed to him. With the envelope roughly pulled from him.
“Thank you, keep the change....” Twilight barely gave him a second glance. Her violet eyes just focused on the message.

The young colt nodded his head and tiptoed out of the room. With Blueblood peaking inside, looking more than a bit concerned. “Twilight?”

“Blueblood... have the embassy sealed... then meet me in the living area.” She developed a serious expression. “Get Fancy if you can as well...”

“I... yes Princess..” He nodded his head quickly trotting away.

Once he was gone Twilight went back to staring at the parcel. A red seal with the serpent coiled around a horn. Just seeing it made her heart stop, even the likes of Nightmare Moon, Discord, or Tirek had earned such a seal. Just thinking about what sort of evil had reached Equestria’s shores made her shutter.

“Princess I came as fast as I could.” Fancy had arrived with a napkin still tucked into his collar. “The Embassy is sealed.” He panted attempting to catch his breath.

Twilight just nodded her head, quickly trotting out, with Fancy following close behind. Once they reached the sitting area they were joined by Blueblood. She simply set the envelope on the table allowing them all the stare at it. The tension between the three ponies could easily be cut with a knife. “This... I....” Twilight struggled for words.

“...We have to open it...” Blueblood said solemnly, obviously not looking forward to its contents.

“He’s right, her royal majesty wouldn’t send such a message unless it was dire enough to justify it.” Fancy eyed the seal. “The Serpent... In all my years, I never thought I would see it outside of the old texts...”

Twilight finally grasped the envelope and tore it open pulling out the parchment. She just stared blankly, neither one of her aids knowing what she was thinking. “S-Secession?...”

“Princess?...” Blueblood raised an eyebrow. “W-what does it say?”

“Ponyville...Dodge City... San Palomino Desert... they’ve declared independence from Equestria...” She just blinked, attempting to process what she was reading.

“This is troubling... Rumors about secessionist Earth Pony groups have always be talked about in the House of Lords... But we never thought they would actually go so far...” Fancy tapped his chin. “Without them, rationing will have to take place...”

“Is that all you can think about... Food?!” She looked at him with rage.

“It’s more serious then you think princess.” Blueblood looked at her with a worried expression. “That land area is responsible for the majority of our food production. Add in the frustrated farmers in what remains of Equestria emigrating?...”

“I c-can’t believe this... aren’t you... you?...” Twilight struggled for words.

“We are, but we have to focus on the ponies who are still loyal to us, or at least neutral during these times. This effects everything Twilight, our biggest concern should be the nobility...” Fancy developed an unreadable expression crossing his face.

“T-the nobility?...” Twilight swallowed struggling to collect herself.

“Twilight hearing that their investments have been stolen out from under their hooves... how do you think they will respond?” Blueblood shook his head.

“You can’t mean...”

“War...” The two stallions said at once.

“That’s... That's...” She shook her head. “Insane!”

“The nobility is prone to rash decisions.” Fancy sighed. “Platinums madness...” He muttered under his breath.

Twilights ears twitched hearing the last part but ignored it. “What can we do?...”

“Does it say who’s leading this?...” Blueblood seemed to be in deep thought, having a hunch.

Twilight looked back down at the letter as she started to re-read it, her eyes centering on something. “B-Big Mac...”

“That’s Applejacks older brother unless I’m mistaken?” Fancy seemed to have the same line of thought.

“I... Yes...” Twilight took a deep breath to steady herself. “He was always a quiet stallion but didn’t have so much as a fine on his record... This is... unexpected.”

“Then we now know why the message was sent.” Blueblood looked back at the nervous princess. “If he’s part of this, then his sister Applejack is likely with him.”

“Applejack wouldn’t want to secede from Equestria! She’s saved it countless times, why would she want to leave it?!” Twilight shook her head in disbelief. “This has to be... a trick! A mistake! Something!”

“This isn’t a mistake Twilight... you will have to respond to this.” Fancy sighs shaking his head. “Blueblood and I can manage the embassy on our own.”

Twilight struggled to swallow shaking a bit before collecting herself. “Are you sure it’s a good idea for me to leave? It could send the wrong message to Zebrica.” She managed a neutral expression.

“They will hear about the unrest eventually, your the only one they might listen too. This needs to be settled as quickly as possible unless we want other nations to take advantage of it.” Blueblood looked troubled.

“Indeed, if they were to be effectively recognized by an outside power then our options would be increasingly limited...” Fancy muttered.

“Limited?” Twilight looked at him confused. “Why? All of Equestria.. is Equestria... Don't we have a right to try to hold it together?”

Blueblood shook his head. “It depends, some countries could be sympathetic to the breakaways plight... others might see it as a way to weaken the state as a whole. Divide and conquer.” He frowned deeply. “Either way they could potentially ally with the group or spread international discontent about our attempts to reunify.”

Twilight eyes briefly widened before she nodded. “I see... I’ll handle this personally, I’m sure it’s just a misunderstanding...” She steeled her resolve.
———————————————————-
Zebrica
New Prosost Prison
Gym
4:27 PM

Rainbow grumbled as she forced the bar upwards, her teeth creaking as she forced herself past the limit. Eventually, it rested back in the cradle with the help of Gábriel guiding it back. Once it was safely held she allowed her forelegs to collapse outwards as she gasped for air. The gryphon simply peaking over the bar and watching her amusingly.

“You're coming along nicely, hard to believe you were one of those glorified stunt ponies.” He chuckled eyeing her newly muscular legs.

“W-watch it...” Rainbow huffed in response.

“It’s true and you know it, they focus so much on the wings, that when your clip them it’s like fighting a hatchling.” He leaned down giving her a peck on the snoot.

“W-whatever....” She struggled off the makeshift bench, wobbling a bit on her hooves.

“Now I think you’ve earned a nice drink at the still.” He made his way over, the pony leaning against him as they moved.

“I dunno if that’s a reward or a punishment at this point.” The blue pony gave him a weak grin.

“Eh, it makes the soreness bearable, but then again it almost reminds me of Black Soup.” He said as they made there way out of the cavern.

“Black Soup?” Rainbow looked curious.

“A nasty concoction made from boiled pigs legs, blood, salt, and vinegar. Truly those who consume it do not fear death.” He gave her a twisted grin, while she shuttered a bit, imaging the taste was just enough to make her gag.

“Why the buck would you eat something like that?” She looked at him incredulously.

“Tradition, as a chick it was part of my training. If one could stomach that, then they could survive on anything.” He hummed the musky smell of the makeshift bar and still hitting their noses.

Upon entering the arched cavern, a few of the inmates eyed them curiously, before going back to drinking and playing games of chance. The couple made their way to the improvised clay still where a bored-looking Minotaur waited. “Ah, there’s the happy couple, can I interest you in the houses finest.” He said jokingly, while they looked unamused.

“Hahaha, you never change Achilles.” Gábriel roller his eyes unamused from the old joke.

“No need to get your feathers in a knot, I actually have something new to try.” He reaches below the roughly carved stone bar pulling out a clay jug. A bit of red juice just leaking out of the improvised cork.

“What’s that?” Rainbow eyed the clay vessel curiously.

“Some wine I managed to make using a little contraband.” He gave them a toothy grin.

“Wine... actual wine with berries? Not the swill you make from the mushrooms?” Gábriel licked his lips hungrily, he could remember the last time he had such a drink.

“Indeed, but naturally with such a drink, there’s a risk that’s involved. So the price is greater than normal...” He shook his head smiling. “The normal swill is about three ration flakes... this one, a whole bar.”

“No one here had that kinda food to trade.” Rainbow's eyes briefly widened at the cost.

“Well now, there’s something else you two could trade.” He looked over the blue mare. “I tend to like a cow with scars.” That smirk just made her shudder with disgust. “Maybe say... 10 minutes back at my cell?”

Gábriel just stared at the bottle breathing slowly, seeming to think for a moment. Then eyeing the mare who was inching backward from the bull's gaze. “We’ll just have the shroom swill, Achilles.”

The bull frowned. “Really? I thought my offer was rather generous, surely the mare can last a few minutes.” His hands squeezed the counter making the stone crack.

The gryphon shook his head. “You know? I think we’ll just get some spring water. Alcohol after training is bad for digestion.”

The bull snorted but continued to glare at the two as they took their leave. Rainbow leaning against the gryphon a bit as she felt she could still feel the stare. “Thanks, Gab...” She muttered shuttering a bit.

“A hawk can’t allow his wife to be sullied by such brutes.” He gave her a sly grin using her wing to pull her to his side. “You didn’t think I’d actually trade you for a bottle of his swill did you?”

“Huh? It was wine... wasn’t it?” She eyed him confused.

“The nose doesn’t lie.” He tapped just beak. “It was swill dyed red, might fool a few of the mongoloids here. But not me.”

“Dyed red... how could he manage that?” She asked while Gábriel raised an eyebrow.

“What’s the only resource we have down here that’s red?” He waited for the mare to connect the dots before gagging. “Haven’t seen that serial rapist in a while, I might have just dodged the lusts curse.”

“He wouldn’t...” Rainbow was more aghast about the use of the hippogriff's blood than his actual murder.

“Eh, it’s no secret females don’t last long down here pony. Some males are likely to get desperate for a few moments in heaven.” He shrugged as they turned down the tunnel, the sounds of trickling water hitting their ears.

“Hmmmf.” Rainbow didn’t have much to say as they arrived at the spring. A stream of water trickling between the large cracks.

“You can have the first go. I’ll keep watch.” He slowly turned around watching the only entrance to the well.

Rainbow approached the wall eventually finding a stream she trusted and started to lap at it. “Hey, Gab?”

“Hmmm?” He tilted his head back and eyed her.

“You're a terrible liar.” She looked back at him and went back to lapping. The gryphon fluttering his wings in response, before going back to his guarding.
———————————————————-

Britannia
Province of Germany
Isenstadt
Castle Wolfenstien
High-security testing labs
5:11 PM

Chrysalis rested on the floor eyeing the small creature between her metal forelegs. The tiny foal just gazed back up at her curiously, reaching a hoof to gently touch her snout. Her green eyes seeming to flicker in response to the touch. Flurry just smiled up at her, her large wings unfurling. Eventually grasping and gently tugging on her mossy green mane with her little hooves.

“How do you like your new sister little Schatz?” Totenkopf gave her a crooked grin watching the two interact.

“Y-yes heir doctor. She’s.... n-nice” Chrysalis gave him a toothy grind showing her rows of sharp canines.

“Good, she will begin training with you soon. I’m sure you’ll grow into quite the little duet, you’ll grace the world with a symphony truly worthy of the emperor.” He hummed slowly struggling to his feet, his old age apparent. “Now how about we take her on a tour. Think you can carry her little Schnuckelschneke?”

Chrysalis nodded her head taking the filly’s scruff into her maw. Lifting the foal onto her back, allowing her a moment to settle and grasp onto her carapace. Once she was comfortable Chrysalis slowly raised herself up to her hooves. “Yes, Obergruppenführer.”

“Excellent.” He motioned for the guards to open the blast doors. “Such an obedient specimen.” Once the bulkhead door had opened he motioned for them to follow.

The duo followed behind at a respectful distance, the foal having climbed up onto her neck as she moved to eye the strange environment. Chrysalis responded by steadying her steps while she moved, not wanting to hurt the precious cargo. As she moved the two of them would occasionally peer into the reinforced windows that lined the hall. It was almost like a zoo of monsters, from Bite-acudas to Windigos. All testing the bonds of their trappings with little success in the endeavor.

“Ah, you see my latest little additions.” The old dog hummed as the watched the Windigo’s circle their stone cage. “Are they not majestic?”

Chrysalis nodded her head watching them eye the window, one evening being so bold as to attempt to trample through. “Yes...” She let out weakly partially muffled as the filly on her head attempted to get a better view. Cooing in wonder of the dangerous beasts that had haunted ponykind since time began. “Are they like us?”

“Sapient? No, our tests show they lack higher intelligence.” He shrugged and gave a toothy grin. “Once properly trained I’m sure you’ll be able to use them, however.”

“Use them?...” Chrysalis tilted her head.

“Indeed, your abilities are very special little June bug.” He looked back into the cage. “Once your ready we’ll move on from your little dolls to more... challenging subjects. Doesn’t that sound wonderful?”

“But... how does she fit into this heir doctor?” She glanced back at the filly who had slipped back down her back.

She felt his black-gloved paw stroke her scalp. A rare feeling she savored for as long as it would last. “In time you’ll learn, but she is far from ready, you two will be very important to the Empire someday.” He motioned for them to follow.

Chrysalis followed close behind seeming to glow with pride with what he said. “Where are we going?” She asked gently attempting to look past him.

“We have a guest tonight, I expect you to be on your best behavior. Do you believe you can keep your charge contained?” He didn’t bother to look backward.

“Y-yes, Obergruppenführer!” She straightened her posture nervously, knowing how important his guests were. He certainly drilled manners into her chitin during their early lessons.

“You’ll be giving a demonstration with your dolls today.” He eventually approached a lift pressing a brass button. The sound of the elevator filling in the silence of the high-security labs. Once it had arrived the trio entered the ordinate polished lift, their collective stomachs falling out as it rapidly ascended.
———————————————————-
The trip to the grand dining Hall was long, but the smells seemed to permeate through the vast castle. Even with her training, Chrysalis struggled not to drool from the exotic scents. Even little Flurry seemed fascinated by the new smells attempting to climb her head again to get a better sniff. Vast wooden doors opening before the elderly dog revealing a feast fit for a king. Thick sausage, roasted duck, creamy potatoes, sauerkraut, even delicacies such as pate and Wellington, it just seemed to go on. But what nearly stopped the insectoid in her tracks was the guests, more then she was used too. Her tail reflectively curling around her back leg, she almost didn’t notice the doctor taking his seat, motioning for her to sit next to him.

Quickly scampering to his side she sat down, not seeing somewhere else to set the foal. She simply rested Flurry on her lap against her barrel. Once she was settled the doctor nodded his head grabbing some morsels from the table while the other guests followed suit. Chrysalis avoided grabbing anything for herself until the doctor motioned she could, choosing some collared greens and lamb sausage. However, she started to look nervous not seating anything for her charge, only to have one of the maids rest a bottle next to her.

“T-thank you.” She mumbled out grasping the bottle clumsily with her mechanical hoof and pressing it to the filly’s maw.

“Very impressive, those mechanical limbs have come a long way since I served in the Bavarian army.” A Mountain Hound spoke at the far end of the table. His faint smile sending shivers through both the changeling and foal. “Oh? Appears we have another guest as well? Is that the Alicorn you spoke of Totenkopf?”

“Ah, you noticed, her parents named her Flurry, I’ve been thinking of giving her a more suitable name fitting of her new purpose,” Totenkopf responded as he poured a bit of gravy onto his sausages.

“Just what do you have planned for her?” The fuhrer tilted his head curiously while his vast entourage seemed to lean forward.

The doctor grinned asymmetrically. “The Tyrant Program.” He said much to the shock of the collective guests.

“Are you sure that’s wise?” One of the generals looked troubled.

“Younger subjects tend to yield higher success rates.” He said simply, but a few at the table seemed troubled by it. “It also allows much easier indoctrination of the subject, decreasing the chances of rejection.”

“Ah yes, the Kampen incident.” The fuhrer shook his head. “Such a pity, they were such a promising unit, but lost their way during their exercise.”

“They showed such promise, but they were too old when we started the indoctrination.” He took a bite of creamy potato. “But that’s in the past, and the plan for the foal is in the future. Today I ask for your attention, Chrysalis? Why don’t we show our guests your ability.”

Chrysalis looked uneasy, she couldn’t see the dolls, but she had been practicing under the doctor's tutelage. Closing her eyes she focused, then opened them revealing a sickly green glow. The guests watched with interest, a few moments later a group of ponies trotted out from the kitchens. Their dark black eyes unnerving some of the guests as they marched out around the table. However a few seemed unimpressed, looking at the group as if they were a parlor trick.

“Amusing, but I fail to see evidence she’s controlling them...” An aristocratic Schnauzer eyed the ponies with a look of boredom.

“Why don’t I prove it to you? Why don’t you choose one of the dolls and whisper something to them? Anything, you wish, and Chrysalis will say it word for word.” The Doctor hummed gently.

The Schnauzer looked unamused but stood up from the table and made her way around it. Eventually settling on a mare who stood to the opposite of her. Leaning down she whispered into its ear, Chrysalis instead of speaking stood up and trotted around the table to the fuhrer. She bent down and whispered something into his ear to which the mountain hound turned a deep shade of red.

“I never realized you had such... vivid ideas about me, duchess Schneider. Perhaps you would like to discuss it later at the Berghof?” He looked over at the Schnauzer his face had turned a much brighter red.

“I... I... Well, it still doesn’t prove their use in the field... it could be an... implanted microphone o-or something.” The Duchess made her way back to her seat, rather humiliated.

“Oh yes I have something planned later this evening just for the occasion, I just thought a taste of what’s to come will stimulate the appetite.” The guests watched as the group of strange ponies bussed the table expertly if robotically. Quickly bringing out the rich deserts for the dogs to enjoy. “While we enjoy the final course why don’t you all consider an Equestrian town to vote on for my demonstration tonight?” He gave a toothy grin showing off his crooked canines.

Author's Note:

Sorry this took so long, I was having some difficulty writing this chapter. I hope you all enjoy it, but I'm still not 100% happy with it, so I might revise it later on.

PreviousChapters Next