• Published 18th Dec 2014
  • 5,540 Views, 468 Comments

Rise of an Empire, Fall of Another - Kyuubi325



To the far east across the vast sea is the forgotten homeland of the diamond dogs. A land once full of poverty, sickness, and famine has become a new super power that threatens Equestrias economic dominance/standing.

  • ...
23
 468
 5,540

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 22

Over Zebrica
En-route to New Timbuktu
R38 Zeppelin
8:27am
Twilight had just had a short tour of the airship to get her mind off the dull ache in her horn that had been bugging her since the ship had crossed into the Badlands. The tour had also calmed down Rainbow's sore wings. She had to repeatedly ask an engineer before he gave in, letting the group explore the ship. Along the way, Blueblood joined them as well. Their short tour confirmed what they already thought; the transport was, at its heart, a military vessel. It lacked the fancy aesthetics of Equestrian airships, but it was more streamlined and advanced. It turns out that's the frame is actually some sort of aluminum alloy with interlocking steel cables holding it all together. While they looked at the frame it was also obvious that any excess weight was shaved off with much of the frame having machined holes to make it even lighter at the cost of some strength. She and Blueblood spoke quietly about it; while Aluminum could be refined in Equestria using magic, it was extremely taxing and resulted in a metal that was too weak to use. Few attempts had been made because of this to discover workable alloys. The most fascinating aspect of the ship was the hull. While they were trotting on the lower catwalks below the large hydrogen filled balloons, Blueblood noticed the hull wasn't a metal or a fabric he recognized and brushed his hoof over it trying to figure just what he was seeing. Twilight joined in, trying to figure out what the strange smooth yet slightly rough substance was until the chuckling of the young engineer broke them out of their investigation. He said "We used to use fabric on these beasts, but then we switched to fiberglass." Apparently airships used a classified ultralight heat resistant form of fiberglass for their hulls that, at the cost of some increased weight, greatly increases their durability. They had both asked how something as brittle as grass could be made into something like armor. He laughed. "I'm a mechanic, not a scientist." Apparently, if they wanted to know they would have to ask one of the Britanian boffins about it. It was that this point they both noticed that they were passing a number of solid metal tanks and machines that gave off a light hum.
Twilight was the first to break the silence. "What are these tanks and machines for? They seem to make up the bulk of the lower levels." She looked at the one of the tanks, which was filled with a yellowish liquid.
The mechanic grinned at the two before opening a hatch on it, which then started to emit a familiar smell. It was petrol!

"I'm sure you too have noticed that while our ship is fairly large; well, at least in comparison to your airships; the crew and guest space is extremely small, yes? Well there's a reason for that. If you look closely you will notice a pattern of fuel and pressurized vessels. Besides helping to distribute the weight they maximize our carrying capacity of aviation fuel and hydrogen. As for the machines they mostly extract hydrogen from collected water and in desperation the air at the cost of efficiency. " He motions to the humming machines. "Towards the center of the airship we have the fore and aft cargo hold" he continues to lead them past the tanks and machines to a sealed bulk head. He pulls out a key and inserts it into a small keyhole, before turning the wheel. He eases the door open, revealing a fully stocked hold. "Most of this is is being sent to the west coast after we drop you off."

While the two ponies looked around the cargo hold they noticed it was little more then a box with what looked like large double doors on the sides of it for loading cargo, and a crane system for lifting and moving the cargo. The electric light shined down on them, turning the cargo hold into a tangle of shadows. While Twlight continued to look around, Blueblood made note of the crates. While his knowledge of Britanian language was far from perfect he recognized that they were crates of ammo and weapons.

"Why is there two divergent cargo holds? Why are they separated?" Blueblood asked. The dog leads them to another bulkhead, opening it to reveal a strange room with two catwalks against the sides of the hull. The center of the room was dominated by a large hook of some sort and a door in the bottom of the hull.

"That is the extendable trapeze system. It's used to catch scouting and fighter aircraft, allowing us to refuel and repair them in midair" he stated proudly, while the two ponies looked around in amazement noticing the tools around them.

"So wait, if this is a military vessel where are the weapons? Isn't this a battleship of sorts? " Twilight asks as she looked around.

"Well yes, it is a military vessel and has a number of weapons. It is more lightly armed then most vessels with the lighter weapons consisting of Vickers .303 machine guns and the heavier weapons consisting of 4 Vickers 1 pound auto cannons" he says while he leads them out of the repair bay and to the front of the large vessel. They come across yet another bulkhead, this one very reinforced and well armored."The captain figured you two would want to see the bridge. After talking to command we were given the go ahead. Please avoid touching anything while in there". He presses the intercom button and the door slowly unlocked as a number of heavy dead bolts slid out. The door slowly opened thanks to the use of hydraulics and solenoids revealing the heavily armored bridge. The captain was at the wheel while a number of other dogs in uniform worked at other stations with lit gauges. They didn't even acknowledge their presence as they worked with military precision, adjusting their instruments. The windows appeared to have blast shutters, which were currently retracted.
"Adjust course 10 degrees to the starboard, increase engine output on the port engines and bring them up to 86 percent. Lieutenant officer E.W. Coil take the helm." Captain H.C Irwin says. A dog takes the wheel from him, and he finally turns to his visitors. "Welcome to the bridge of the R38. I'm sure you have some questions regarding the purpose of this vessel?" The two ponies nod. "This vessel is, at its core, a small mobile forward operating base and acts in a scouting role for our empire. Nearly every thing on this vessel is aimed for the use of scouting and stealth operations. However this old girl will soon be given to the Zebrican government as a sign of goodwill and peace between our countries. They have felt that showing you their latest toy will help get the point across to your nobility that their attempts to hinder our efforts are in vain." He said that last bit darkly, making them both shiver, before his smile returned. "Now, any questions?"

The two ponies slowly nodded, with Blueblood stepping forward first. "Yes well...I understand why the bridge is so heavily armored to protect the vital controls, but what sort of equipment is used?" He asks while the captain shows them around the fairly compact bridge. There were only 5 crewmen here, not counting the captain.

"Compared to most vessels this one runs on a skeleton crew, and after we hand it over to the Zebras they have plans for a total refit, turning it into a more heavily armed Zeppelin to patrol the mountainous regions on the border they share with the Saddle Arabians. Lately, they have been getting a bit more boisterous since their little desert peninsula has been having a mild famine after a strange outbreak of Pparasprites. Rather then blame their own poor primitive farming techniques they blame our allies. Though from the historical records we have uncovered its fairly common for them to blame the Zebras for every little thing" he says. The two ponies laugh uneasily, creeped out by how familiar it sounds when compared to Equestria. It was at this point they both realize what the Britanians were doing. This was all just to give them an idea of just what they were up against without risking any tactical information about their vessels; after the refit anything they have learned about its capabilities would be obsolete. They didn't know much as it was!

"This bridge is designed to run using the minimum crew with the 5 consoles you see each serving a purpose such as engineering, communications, navigation, acoustics, and fire control." He points from left to right; one dog looked over a lit up panel that has a schematic of the Zeppelin with a number of green lights across it showing structural integrity, another dog was adjusting the nobs on the radio and intercom system and giving out others, then navigation in the center looking out through the glass windshield looking at the markers as they pass them by marking them on a map with expert precision on a strange map that seemed to have the jet streams labeled on it, then there was one dog that caught Twilights eye wearing a pair of head phones with milky white eyes siting quietly, and finally another panel with a schematic with green lights on a number of tactically important areas on the hull with firing angles.

"What are acoustics?" Blueblood asked while looking closer at the small Chihuahua not getting any sort of response as he waved his hooves in front of her.

"Please don't do that to miss Gretchen; she is in fact blind, I assure you. You see, acoustics are used for detection of anything in the sky they we may not be able to detect using conventional means such as sight or the use of scouting craft. We have found that those who lack sight are adapt at detecting the slightest sounds even over the interference from the engines and wind." He says. Both ponies look at him, horrified at the idea of using someone who is disabled to help with a military vessel.

"I-i think I should head back to my room...Spike gets worried if I'm gone to long." Twilight says while Blueblood quickly follows."I should get back to Fancy. We were going to talk about our plans to visit your fine art galleries when we land later." They are then escorted back to their rooms.

New Timbuktu
Aerodrome
Mooring mast 3
10:38am
The Elements of Harmony, the two nobles accompanying them, a baby dragon, and their 2 guards slowly walked across the thin walkway with their bags. Those without the gift of flight found the incredible height below them unnerving, since they were 15 stories above the ground on nothing but a thin walk way that was connected to an impressive 20 story building that acted as the terminal for those traveling by airship. As they entered, Twilight noticed how busy the terminal building was, with many Zebras and dogs obscuring the Art Deco design of the building. Even rarity was struck dumb by the sheer amount of gold and artistic decorations, never mind the countless dogs and zebra who paid them no mind as they moved to three (much larger) Zeppelins. A massive Zepplin with the name "Graf III" emblazoned on it's side caught their attention.

"Oh Miss Sparkle, please wait. I can't afford to lose you in these crowds! I ask that you and your friends please follow me to the hotel where you will be staying" Yosef manages to catch up to them before they get lost in the constantly moving crowd. He takes the lead up a private elevator for VIPs, and the ponies are hit with vertigo as it rapidly descends to the ground floor. It felt like their stomachs were floating up to their heads! They soon arrived at the ground floor where they were picked up by 5 different Bentley 8 liter cars. They widened their eyes in surprise seeing the convoy awaiting them.

Zebrica
New Timbuktu
Baraza Resort and spa
Hot springs
12:26pm
Rarity relaxed on her back in the center of the naturally designed hot spring, having some alone time, She tried to focus on the naturally formed ceiling in hope that the dull aching of her horn would stop. The sand stone had been naturally smoothed and formed after thousands of years of the hot springs flowing through the caves, creating a sort of maze of tunnels and chambers with countless steamy springs that guests at the resort took full advantage of, since they were semi private. Apparently they were what made this place famous, with the resort built right into the cave system. After crossing the border magic didn't seem to work as well as it normally did, requiring much more effort just to use simple levitation, let alone her gem locator spell!
While she enjoyed this she let her mind wander for a bit, lazily floating in the mineral pool.

"Years of work and struggle to create my own business and style all while trying to convince ponies that they didn't have to just wear clothing formal events, only to watch as ponies started wearing clothing more often. Thinking I could finally have my chance to get ponies to wear my designs everyday...but what happens? I simply couldn't compete with the prices. Sure, my designs were all unique and beautiful, but ponies just bought those mass produced outfits that they saw at Filthys store at only 6 bits each! How could I possibly compete.,.sure I have plenty of business doing repairs and alternations...but it's just had to be Diamond dogs at the center of all of it.." She shuttered, hearing their voices again. Her friends only knew about the time she was captured by the incompetent Gem Biter Clan...and afterwards they came to her and explained the situation. While part of it was motivated by greed the other was part of some old treaty they had with Ponyville dating back to its founding after they saved the small village from a timber wolf attack...in return for their actions they were gifted a large area, rich in gem deposits, where they could practice their laws and traditions.They had thought she knew what she had done wrong by trespassing and pouching their gems! They didn't know she was aware of the fact she would have been released after three days of labor. They went as far to come with a peace offering but she turned them down and returned their gems, asking them to mark their reservation better and told them please stay from her shop. However, her friends didn't know that her cutie mark story had a part she had left out...not a single one of her friends ever asked how she got home after being dragged out into the middle of nowhere by her horn. The problem was she wasn't the only one who saw what was inside that rock...the Jackals saw everything. After she had managed to pull the gems out of it she turned around to see five brutish Diamond dogs looked down at her with predatory eyes. The next few days after being captured she was forced to toil in there coal and gem mines with countless other fillies and colts in reprehensible conditions, being forced to eat gruel and sleep and stand in their own waste. She had been trapped down there with no sunlight, proper food, or even medical care for two months. The things she saw down there...even the therapists she had been seeing since she was a filly could only do so much for her and the other surviving foals. After the Royal Guard raided the place they had managed to capture most of the ring leaders with only a few of the lesser dogs getting away. Despite her constantly telling herself not all diamond dogs were like that, the prejudice still remained, born from what she lived through. It was her only saving grace that the guard kept what happened under wraps to protect the young survivors. She lazily swam over to the edge where her towel was resting on the smooth sandstone floor and looked around the room to make sure she was alone, She took out a blue capsule and swallowed it,letting her mind go blank. A goofy smile overtook her face.
Zebrica
New Timbuktu
Baraza resort and spa
Private movie theater
12:49pm
Rainbow and Fluttershy had decided to go along with Pinkie to see what all the talk about the theater was and so far they were not disappointed. The motion pictures, as they were called, combined cartoons, news, and advertising into one long moving picture. Pinkie seemed to enjoy the cartoons, particularly the Private Snafu ones that thought about the importance of vigilance, maintenance, and other things they could only imagine having to do with the military. Sadly Spike left to go find Twilight after one of the cartoons labeled "Fighting tools" had Snafu go up against a Brutish Dragon...only for his poorly maintained weapons to fail and get sent to the mines. The other cartoons often depicted the dragons as monsters or bullies, which didn't help much either. The newsreel reports were interesting as well, with reports on reforestation of many areas of Zebrica which had been logged by the warlords.
The large words "Britainian Path" were displayed on the silver screen as an announcer spoke. Images of the reforestation are shown with countless workers planting trees and mangroves. "After centuries of abuse at the hooves of the countless short sighted warlords of Zebrica actions are being taken to stop the erosion of the soil. As we speak countless botanists, work release constituents, and volunteers are working around the clock to undo the damage left behind by their legacy. Already, thanks to the efforts of these diligent workers, the mangroves and trees are taking root with plenty of game slowly returning to the new forests." The film then changes, showing the familiar aerodrome with a number of other aircraft flying around it. An image of their little group entering those auto carriages and then a picture of the Graf Zeppelin III appeared on screen. "Breaking news; Three members of the of the Equestrian nobility and their entourage have arrived at the New Timbuktu aerodrome aboard the R38 Zeppelin which is to be give to the Zebrican government as both a gesture of goodwill and to help them form a formidable Air Force. It will likely prove invaluable, with tensions rising between Zebrica and the Saddle Arabian peninsula after the resent outbreak of parasprites destroyed an entire crop. The monarch Abdulaziz Ibn Saud has seen fit to blame the newly formed government while lacking evidence. General Shujaa, the acting head of the newly formed Zebrican military, came out to state that the Equestrian's are merely here to visit and see the changes that have been enacted in Zebrica. They are also here to broker goodwill between Zebrica and Equestria. In other news. the Graf Zeppelin III has made its first transatlantic trip across the seas and it is believed that it will continue to bring Britanians from the homeland to Zebrica and vice versa regularly along with its two other sister ships."

This caught the attention of the three mares. Back home there had been intense debate about were the Britanians came from with rumors ranging from the depths of Tartarus to it all being some crazy Unicorn conspiracy (which didn't make sense since they had been losing money lately).
"Rainbow will you be ok if me and Pinkie leave for a bit? I know Twilight said to stay with you all all times but lately you have shown improvement with your behavior..." Fluttershy said.

Rainbow nodded. "Ya ya, I was there when she told me I have to live with you Flutters. I'm not some helpless foal. You and pinkie can go have fun. My wings still have that dull ache so I think I'm just going to rest here for a bit. Honestly it seems the only ones who aren't suffering from the dull aches most of us have been getting are Pinkie and applejack" She said. Fluttershy muttered to herself; she had been having the same problem. Pinkie and Fluttershy went with their guards to tour the rest of the hotel.

After waiting for a bit to make sure that they were gone, Rainbow slowly pulled out her saddle bag and tore into a small hidden compartment she made before she was forced to stay with Fluttershy. It had been awhile since she had even laid her eyes on the small cloth pouch. Smiling softly, she opened it, revealing blue tinted powder, and without any real care she dived her face into it. She quickly snorted some of the powder before hiding it back in the compartment and looking around to make sure nopony saw her. Seeing that she wasn't caught, she leaned back into her seat and watched the next presentation.
It showed a strange building with a number of pipes making up its structure. A large amount of dogs and zebra worked on it, turning valves and other apparatus. "Arzew Refinery is the first of its kind in Zebrica, pumping out countless barrels of petrol for both Zebrica and Britania. Any surplus is being sold to the Equestrian farmers up north to power their farming equipment that they had purchased from the now locally created trade guilds." This just sours her mood, as she sees them show the barrels on trucks as they leave (no doubt to be sold to the ponies who put her out of a job). It then shows a number of the workers leaving the refinery and shutting down the equipment."While the refinery could remain active 24/7 this would only create too much of a surplus, even with the growing economy. Safety concern from the local union's also make it inadvisable to run the plant constantly. Here we see the workers and chemists leaving at 5 pm on the dot to go home the their families, while the remaining workers stay till 6 to properly shut down the equipment before a skeleton crew is left to monitor the site." Rainbow perks up to this and continues to watch with more interest.

PreviousChapters Next