• Published 18th Dec 2014
  • 5,540 Views, 468 Comments

Rise of an Empire, Fall of Another - Kyuubi325



To the far east across the vast sea is the forgotten homeland of the diamond dogs. A land once full of poverty, sickness, and famine has become a new super power that threatens Equestrias economic dominance/standing.

  • ...
23
 468
 5,540

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 26

Zebrica
New Timbuktu
Aerodrome
Terminal D
5:21pm
Twilight sighed as she waited with her friends. It was decided that while she would be staying behind to try and repair the political fallout of Rainbow's actions, her friends had to be deported. At first when she had told her friends they were shocked; they had thought she wanted to go home as much as they did, especially after what happened. When they saw they couldn't change her mind they tried to stay with her, but she refused to allow them to put their lives on the line. There was plenty of yelling, and emotions rose up, but she soon explained that this was her job, as well as the job of the nobles.

"Twilight are you sure you will be ok? We all know the last few days have been...hard for all of us... But it doesn't feel right to just leave you here alone" Fluttershy managed to squeak out.

"I'll be ok girls. I know we normally work together when the odds are bad, but right now it seems the old lesson Celestia taught me applies here...." Twilight, seeing their blank looks, chose to continue. "Three ponies alone in a room can get more done then an entire committee...or something like that" she smiles tiredly.

"Well 'ah trust' ya Twilight I know I'm mostly clueless on how politics work... While I want to stay here as much as the others 'ah now our talents are better used elsewhere." Applejack says while trotting over to the purple mare. She pulled her into a deep hug that other mares soon joined in.
While they hug two faces they haven't seen since they left to visit some friend they met in prison trot up.

"Hello princess Twilight." Summer smiles, trying to be friendly as the group of mares stare at them.

"Where the buck have you two been?!" Twilight breaks away from the hug and trots up to the two shaking stallions. "You two were supposed to act as our guards and to prevent diplomatic incidents from happening! Now look what's happening!" She screams while the two stallions shrink away.

"We have a letter...." Pumpkin Patch slowly pulled out an envelope from under his wing and hoofed it to Twilight. "We're sorry, but that wasn't our original mission Twilight. We were sent here to evaluate Zebrica and their allies... In this document is our final report only for the eyes of the high princesses."

Twilight looks over the sealed envelope. "Why are you giving it to me? Aren't you two heading back to Equestria to give your report?" She looks down at if, before hoofing it to Rarity.

"When we said it was our final report, we meant it was our last report... enclosed in that envelope are our resignation letters." Summer said while the mares just stare at them in shock.

"What?! You two can't resign! You're a knight Summers, you're from one of the greatest lines in Equestria! And Pumpkin, you can't leave Luna's royal guard; she can barely scrape together enough for a tea party!" Rarity shouts at them in shock while Fluttershy walks forward.

"What about your families? Pumpkin, aren't you thinking of what this will do to Luna?" Fluttershy looks up at Pumpkin.

"I have a question for you mares...when was the last time you saw a Thestral outside of Luna's Royal guard?" Pumpkin waited for a few moments, watching the mares draw a blank. "Exactly. If it wasn't for Luna we wouldn't have much in employment. Even then she can't afford to pay us as well as the Solar guard. if it wasn't for the Barracks we would be homeless! Sure a few Thestrals can get work outside of the guard, but we make a lot less. I don't know how much less but....less. It's not easy, and I don't have to tell you what that leads to right?" He shakes his head. "I have been told all my life in Equestria that I wasn't a pony... I have been spit on, threatened, and attacked." He said while Applejack spoke up.

"But Luna's back now! Things have changed! Haven't they?" She asked a little unsure herself.

"She try's to actively help us but in the end you can't change the minds of most Equestrians... Our past sins and appearance are something we will always carry with us." He sighs softly, while the mares look over at Summers.

"But what about you Summers? You're a descendant of one of the greatest Knights in Equestria! What reason could you possibly have to leave?" Twilight looked over at the portly yellow stallion.

"For that very reason Twilight. It's always 'Hey, aren't you the descendant of some faceless knight no pony remembers?' It's never Summers... I hate being a being a knight honestly, but that's all I was allowed to be. From the minute I was born my life was planned out in Equestria. I may not have had the hard life Pumpkin has had but by the time I could talk and trot I was sent off for training. Have you ever seen real jousting? Not the one with the dull tips or paper-mâché lances, I mean where you end up in the hospital like what they do up in the Crystal empire. In Zebrica I have a choice." He sighs softly.

Twilight looks over at Pinkie and Fluttershy for some kind of support only to see them nodding their heads somberly. She sighs, and turns back to the two soldiers. "You know this is desertion right? There will be hearings on this, and they will demand your presence." She said, hoping it would change their minds.

"Zebrica doesn't let citizens be prosecuted by foreign governments. By the time that message is delivered to Equestria, our papers will have been put through. We have already renounced our Equestrian citizenship." Pumpkin says, much to Twilight's shock. She briefly opens her mouth, before closing it and nodding.

"I understand. Thank you for telling me." She says while the two stallions turn to leave.

"Tell Luna we're sorry... But whether she wants to admit it or not my kind doesn't belong in Equestria." Pumpkin says before catching up to Summers.

Zebrica
New Prosost prison
The Pit
6:21pm
The former Zulu warrior known as Ulwazi relaxed on his cold stone bed ,looking up at the stone ceiling. There was little else to do since there was little in the way of entertainment in the pit, mostly just fights, weightlifting equipment, and food that was dropped down into the pit every few hours mostly consisting of ration bars that were god awful. He slowly got up from his bed and looked around his cell. The walls were covered with academical symbols, and notes written in his kind's oldest tongue. He slowly ran his hoof over the largest circle in the center of the cell, spedning some time looking over the intricate patterns and symbols. His eyes wandered to a puddle of water, and he looked into his reflection. His entire face was covered with lay-line tattoos that slowly spiraled around his eyes and seemed to swirl, split, and then reconnect in different areas in a strangely organic manner.

His ears twitched when he heard a rat squeezing it's way through a crack in the wall. He slowly made his way over to the rat as it finally squeezed it's way out squeaking loudly. He waited for a few seconds till it tried to run and crushed it with his hoof. He lifted up the corpse, noticing that a message was tied to it's stomach.
"Well well...lets see what the gods have sent to me today." He smiles as he untied the message and slowly unfolded it. His eyes widen upon reading it. "A new inmate? Interesting... looks like I will have to secure some ingredients." He slowly left his cell walking past the iron bars and the opened door.

He made his way to the stone outcrop where to could look down at all the inmates. He sighed softly before shaking his head. His cell was the highest and largest compared to the others. He remembered when he had first come here; he looked up at the the opening that was nearly 300 meters above him. It was nearly a perfect cylinder of bedrock and sand stone and if one were to listen closely one could here the carnivorous bats fluttering and squeaking above.

His ears twitched as he looked down, seeing another fight between a badly scarred Zebra and tan and speckled Gryphon. He smiled, seeing it was the Cannibal of the Serengeti plains and the Slaver of De Aar (respectively, of course). He watched as the Gryphon make the first move; his eyes widened in glee, seeing the Gryphon go instantly for the tendon, only for the zebra to dodge to the far left and deliver a strong buck to the gryphon's wing, making him yowl. The gryphon acted fast, slashing the zebra's barrel with his talons, leaving deep jagged cuts that seeped blood.

While he watched he laid down on his barrel, letting his fore hooves hang off the rock outcrop. "If that were a pegasus this would have been over by now..." He smiles as the zebra stumbles a bit on his hooves, before letting out a loud snort and pawing at the ground. That zebra was feral, but what would one expect of something raised by lions? The zebra roared, charging at the gryphon, who attempted to fly out of the way only for the zebra to bite down on his paw and pull hard forcing him to the ground. The zebra ripped his head away, taking out a chunk of flesh and swallowing, before licking his lips. The gryphon slowly got back up, struggling for a moment from the pain before screeching loud and charging, prompting the zebra to do the same. In a few moments it was over, with the gryphon wrapping its beak around the zebras neck and pulling out his throat. He then stood on top of the corpse of the zebra and roared loudly.

There was silence for a few moments before a nearly deafening cheer broke out. The gryphon had just earned their respect; after all, that zebra had dragged plenty of dead inmates to his cell after a fight.
He sighed softly, seeing the gryphon pull off a leg from the zebra and start to take the winding path up to his cell. He turned and trotted back in. After all if it wasn't for his runes and talent the pit would be far more empty.

Equestria
Canterlot
Lunar Guards Barracks
7:45pm
Luna sighed as she trotted down the nearly empty barracks. Once upon a time it was nearly filled to the rafters with her guard stallions, ready to serve her. Now though? It was a reminder of her failure to protect the very ponies she had taken in and called her own. She continued to trot past the countless empty bunks with the lockers below left open and empty, showing her just how quickly they left. She finally reached the door to the lunch hall, which she slowly pushed open. Only one table in the back of the room was filled. Even from this distance she could hear them whisper as they looked at her.

She stood there for a few moments before turning to leave, teleporting herself to her room before they could try and stop her. She collapsed onto her bed. Several minutes later, she heard a voice spoke up.
"Sister? Luna?" She heard the sound of her sister's voice on the other side of her door and sighed. Anypony but her... "I know you're in there Luna...please can I come in? I know it has been hard, But I can't help you if you don't let me...." Luna sighed as she got up and unlocked the magically sealed door. Celestia slowly trotted in. seeing her sister laying down on her pillow, looking away from the door.

"Hello sister. I trust you have come to talk to me again about my critically understaffed guard?" She asked coldly, prompting Celestia's ears to lower.

"Lun-sister, don't be like that. You know that I'm as shocked as you are about this..." All she got was a snort from her sister.

"That's the difference sister. I am not shocked about this in the least." Luna sat up, looking her sister dead in the eye. "This was bound to happen eventually... After all, ponies feared Thestrals long before I ever took them under my wing. Oh, the things I promised them as Nightmare.... Even after I failed to give them the things I promised and let the madness take hold of my mind, they alone were forced to pay for what were MY sins,. Even then, they still loved me. But then what always happens happened. I came back and made promises to show Equestria that they weren't monsters and I failed again. It didn't matter that I used what little power I had in politics to give them the food they needed, or the fact I paid out of pocket to set up a scholarship program, or even that I spoke out against the abuse they suffered. It added up to nothing. In the end it was your ponies that had the final say."

"Lulu, I'm sorry for what has happened..." The white mare managed to say after several seconds of silence, making Luna glare.

"Don't talk to me like I'm some fussy foal; I'm not a mewling filly that you can calm down with a demeaning nickname and a story. I'm the sovereign of the Thestrals; but answer me this sister." She leaned forward. "Would this have happened if you had gotten rid of your fear of being like Sombra and put your hoof down in my absence? Would this have happened if you were willing to see me as more then your little sister?" She looked deeply into her sister's eyes. "I have my own share of the blame, I will never deny that, but you could have fixed this ages ago. Even if it meant painting me as the villain to protect them. You of all ponies knew how much they mean to me, even before I took them into Equestria....but now? What am I without my ponies? Am I even a sovereign or just your boogiemare?" She sighed sadly.

Celestia opened her mouth to say something along the lines of 'I don't know', or 'I'm trying to figure out what happened'. But she knew it wouldn't be good enough; in the end, she was as responsible for the suffering of Thestrals as Luna was. "I know my inaction helped cause this, And nothing I will say will make up for it... But I want you to know I'm sorry." Celestia turned to leave hoping in her heart Luna would stop her, but she soon found herself past the door frame and walking down the hall.

Luna just curled up in her bed closing her eyes, praying that her ponies were safe even if it meant they weren't with her.

Britannia
Provence of England
London
Citadel
11:57pm
The emperor woke up, covered in sweat. He quickly sat up, his eyes darting around the room, looking for something that he couldn't remember. He rested his paw on his face, trying to calm his nightmare induced panic. He breathed in and out, his heart nearly beating out of his chest. It took time, but he finally managed to reach a shaking hand over to his side table and grab a glass of water before guzzling it down like he had been stranded in the desert.

"What is this? Every night it seems like these visions threaten to consume me..." He gets up, wobbling a bit on his paws before slipping on a crimson robe and making his way to his desk.

He always found that inspiration would hit him after these nightmares. He thought as he sat down at the chair, trying to remember what it was he saw before pulling out paper from one of the drawers in the Elder Oak desk and taking out a fountain pen. He started to sketch his...vision, for lack of a better word... onto the pristine white paper, taking time with the detail but also trying to sketch it before the thought was lost. The image began to take shape on the paper with a number of symbols and what could only be equations on the sides of the drawing. It seemed to be some sort of electrical system but there were also a number of mechanical components that seemed out of place, almost like the drawing was only a small piece of the puzzle. He sighed softly as he left the paper on his seat before returning to his bed, once again trying to return to sleep.

Britannia
Province of Germany
Isenstadt
Das Adler INN
4:03am
General Lutz slept alone in a large hotel room, courtesy of the Doctor; apparently they had a little containment breach and had to seal off large sections of the base to contain it. The last few days had left him feeling on edge, since he hated to be idle, but one should never argue with the Doctor (especially since he was backed by the Führer himself). It was unwise, to say the least, to question him. The only sound that could be heard in the room was the loud snoring of the general as he slept. The silence was broken by the bedside phone suddenly ringing.

Lutz woke up and tore the phone off the table, bringing the reciever to his ear. "This better be dammed important enough to wake me up at such an hour." He growled as he heard laughing with a gentle wheezing on the other end of the line.

"Oh general... Is that any way to talk to an old friend?" The voice on the other end of the line spoke in old German. "Even after I paid out of MY pocket to give you such wonderful accommodations." The voice made Lutz's blood run cold.

"Heir Doctor! Please excuse me for my rudeness!" He shouts, while the man on the other line laughs at the shock in his voice.

"You are forgiven. I trust your stay in Isenstadt has been enjoyable? There are so few old German towns left since the war ended." The voice asked him.

"Yes, I have found this town has much of the old world charm that is hard to find in the cities. I found a lovely coffee shop by the inn" Lutz said, waiting a few moments for a response.

"Have you taken time to see the remains of the camp?" His eyes widened hearing that.

"I surely do not know what you mean heir Doctor..." His attempt to lie was cut off by a scoff.

"You know every well what camp I am talking about. You after all had once acted as a guard for-"

"Stop! I know exactly what you are talking about... I'm sure I don't have to remind you that you are going against the Führers orders by even mentioning them? If the rest of Britainnia were to find out what we did......"

The voice scoffs again. "Do not patronize me, I know exactly what would happen. The difference is I do not hide from my history; I embrace it. What we did had to be done, and we both know the other provinces were too soft on the traitors. I don't have to remind you that the work that was done in those camps saved many of our dogs lives." The voice says evenly to him. "I think it is time we meet face to face... Say around lunch? I have plenty of demonstrations set up thanks to our latest shipment from Zebrica." The doctor soon hanged up, leaving the room in silence.

He didn't fall asleep for the rest of the night.

PreviousChapters Next