• Published 18th Dec 2014
  • 5,541 Views, 468 Comments

Rise of an Empire, Fall of Another - Kyuubi325



To the far east across the vast sea is the forgotten homeland of the diamond dogs. A land once full of poverty, sickness, and famine has become a new super power that threatens Equestrias economic dominance/standing.

  • ...
23
 468
 5,541

PreviousChapters Next
Debate (edited by Cakebomb and DaLintyMan)

Debate
The emperor walked through the maze of hallways, whose walls were lined with portraits of long dead Kings, Queens, heroes, and assorted military leaders. The floors were solid marble lined with maroon carpet made by local artisans. The citadel was truly a marvel of engineering and architecture, spanning more than 40 acres with countless bedchambers, great halls, dining rooms, tea rooms, kitchens, and council halls. He was currently making his way to the northern council hall, where he would meet with the various influential figures to discuss how to begin a trading relationship with the far western nations.

As he entered the chamber he took in an ornamental round table where nobles, aristocrats, generals, and elected officials alike were seated. From right to left was the representative from the newly industrialized city of Denbigh, Olga Gemminzer. To her left was General Lutz of the military city of Waddenhausen. Next was Anke Shett, of the newly formed Trade Guild that handled trade between the countless townships. Then there was Alastair De Vere, a member of one of the highest standing aristocratic families. Finally, Sir Hyde, who was one of the few surviving nobles of Britannia.

“All rise for his Imperial Majesty Lord Theo, Emperor of Britannia.” A pretty young diamond dog announced.

The guests rose from their seats.
“All hail Emperor Theo, war and progress incarnate, conqueror of the dragon hordes, founding father of our great industrial age, and our leader into a new golden era. May his divine rule last forever.” They pledged in perfect harmony.

They then sat down and waited for him to take his seat at the table, and as he sat down they rapidly began the meeting.

“Sir, as one of your highest ranking military officers I recommend that we greet the powers of the west with our naval might. This will show that are we militarily superior, and will also help us gain respect quickly so that we can conclude the trade negotiations quickly without them trying “underhooved” tactics to try and trick us into a foolish agreement.” Stated Lutzs. It was at this time the Emperor took note of the General's age and brown, scarred muzzle. His uniform, while well maintained, showed the tell tale signs of war, with countless professional repairs hiding the tears of wounds from battle and the areas where the rich blue of his uniform was worn. A career soldier, and somewhat set in his ways for it.

“Sir, I fear that opening trade with the western nations is a mistake, these reports we have gathered indicate that they have yet to go through an age of enlightenment, and others show that the pony nation of Equestria has stagnated for the last 1000 years and seem to almost despise change or new ideas. Maybe it would be in our best interests to wait or stay isolated until this changes.” De Vere said worriedly. The Emperor took notice of his expertly tailored suit and his young, white, unscarred muzzle. An individual recently come into power, but of the older families and corporations that had concerns over what would happen if the new markets were opened.

“Sir, I disagree with both De Vere and General Lutzs. While we DO need to come out of this isolation, if we give too strong of a show of force we risk the western nations attacking us out of fear. It is my opinion that we approach the southern nation known as Zebrica. It is a fairly poor nation in desperate need of trade. If we were to approach them and offer both our financial and military aid they would be incredibly grateful and could help as mediators for us for when we open up trade with the northern nations. Also, from what our informants tell us their land is rich in resources ranging from but not limited to oil, coal, iron, spices, and if rumors are true, deposits of vladium.” Anke rose pointing to the documents. She was wearing a simple grey dress popular among the many female traders. She had come from a poor family during the Emperor’s crusade, and hadn’t given up her previous values even as she served as the face of multiple groups that had eventually coalesced into one.

“Sir, I believe she is correct. As a representative of one of Britannia’s largest arms manufacturing city’s, the influx of iron and coal will greatly help us in the production of the next generation of weapons, while the oil with help us increase our production of petroleum-based products such as diesel, petrol, and kerosene fuel. While we have massive reserves I feel it is in our best interest to avoid using them if we don’t have to. We also shouldn’t underestimate the value of spices as from some of the historic documents we have acquired there are countless warlords in Zebrica who have built their own micro empires based on them.” Olga then sat down and then fixed her gloves and rose colored dress. Not quite old money, she had taken her existing assets and successfully invested them to eventually earn her position in this council.

“Sir, I have seen that miss Olga has a point. Now think, and imagine if we were to help the numerous rebel’s overthrow these warlords and put into place a representative government. The Zebras would be grateful, and we would have a new rich trading partner who may also be willing to help us in future endeavors whether they are military,” Sir Hyde nodded to Lutz. “Or economic in nature.”. He then nodded to Anke. After his proposal, he adjusted his seat so that the tails of his three-piece suit hung presentably. Old money through and through, but he had the support of a good portion of the populace due to various reasons.

The Emperor sat, quietly thinking. Staying in isolation wasn't an option, as he had read in some reports of a Griffon ship being spotted in the Western Sea. Sooner or later their continent would be discovered by the westerners, whether or not they were ready or willing for such an event.

Decision made, he then sat up. “On my authority our ships are to set sail to the southern nation of Zebrica to support the Zebrican rebels in overthrowing the numerous warlords, and then help them create a representative government. We shall also offer financial aid from our spoils left over from the 200 year war.” He then looked around the room, at the sometimes less than enthusiastic expressions. “While some of you are unsure whether or not we should come out of isolation, I am sorry to say we no longer have a choice. Only a few days ago a wooden schooner, presumably from the Griffin kingdoms, was spotted on our western sea. Whether we like it or not the westerners will discover our continent, and they, in their ignorance, may try to claim our lands, leading to bloodshed. It is my personal opinion that we approach the Zebrican rebels, so that we not only create an ally, but also a loyal trading partner that will help us introduce ourselves to the other westerners. This will help avoid any future conflict.” He sat back, and the council members sat in thought for a while before they all nodded. After all, they were the council and he was the emperor. Their input was appreciated, but in the end they did not decide for the country as a whole

“Let us conclude this meeting.” They bowed and left him to sit alone at the table to brood in silence.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“One of you shall lead this broken continent into an unheard of golden age. You all have been chosen due to your academic skills and unique problem solving skills. During the next few months you shall all be trained in political science, diplomacy, strategy, and advanced combat.” Me and 13 other pups sat in a simple brick room, listening to the unnamed captain.

The sound of clashing swords and the firing of muskets fills my ears.

“You are to show no fear to your enemy, lest they see your weakness.” I listened as I fenced another pup who was a head taller than me. In a split second I sliced his arm badly. After he had fallen onto the ground, bleeding heavily, he was taken away by masked soldiers. The unnamed captain simply smiled at the remaining 3 “subjects”, (I don’t even remember the names of the other two) as we soon found we were called. It had seemed like every exercise and test was designed to whittle down our numbers.

The exercises ranged from difficult to near impossible, and were strange. For example, they would bring us to a pool where they would force us to go under the water, and threaten that if one of us came above the surface we would be shot on sight, all while they shot bullets through the water near us. Then there was the running. We had to run 30 miles around a track white the captain chased us on horseback. The oddest was when they would bring us to a room. After the door closed we could never remember what happened behind those doors.
On the last day I was strapped onto a table….. All I remember was excruciating pain and the murmurs of military generals. But most of all I remember the bloody faces of the other two “failed” subjects in the corner of the room, thrown as if they were garbage. Their bodies were covered in burn marks and growths.

“Congratulations young Theo, you have been chosen to lead our broken country into a golden age of expansion and progress.” the captain smiled with a crooked grin.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He shook the memory from his mind. He had more important things to worry about than the past. He left the room to head to the throne room, as the citizens would soon find out about the plans to come out of isolation. The press would also want a statement from their great Emperor for such a momentous occasion.

PreviousChapters Next