• Published 25th Dec 2014
  • 15,679 Views, 475 Comments

Help! I'm not a changeling! - Ashardu



Well, this is new. A new body, a new life, a new beginning. It would be great if I didn't have to realize that this new beginning is going to be the end of me. Oh boy.

  • ...
58
 475
 15,679

6: Why does Life like to torture me?

Help! I'm not a changeling!

Chapter 6: "Why does Life like to torture me?"

Edited by ShadowBeat. Let's do this!


"So, who is it going to be?" I asked, wondering what my teammates would think of it. I looked back at the steel doors and wondered what horrors could be hidden behind the darkness, lurking to feast upon anyone who dared to have, what my people would say, a sneak-peak.

"Not me, Fire. I have a small family to care of," Jolt said, closing his eyes and letting out a tired sigh, one which I swear I've done before, "You know how my mare can get if I were to get scratched, let alone get hurt,"

"I know, and I feel sorry for you," I answered. This only gained a mocked stare which I answered with sticking my tongue at him, "That's why I'll do it, seeing how none of you volunteered," The others soldiers seemed to be amused by this, for several whispers and snickers were heard across our small group. I redirected my attention to the door and pondered what options we could have.

At first hand, it seemed like we could just easily rampage the place and take everything we need, leaving the place as fast as possible with the stolen supplies on our grasp. However, this could only cause disturbance; attention that I didn't need nor wanted. These soldiers had to make it one piece just like me and I'm not planning to screw things up. We had to make as quiet as possible, making sure we bring all we need for our small resistance. Our group needs us, and I won't let this operation go in vain!

But how are we going to-

"Um, Fire?" I heard, making me snap out of my thoughts. My gaze immediately turned to our youngest member and my very special student, Cross. Looking at me with her alternate eye, she motioned me to look higher. Doing as told, she talked, "Wouldn't it be easier to enter from the sky?"

"And how exactly do you plan on avoiding attention? We don't have exactly the biggest amount of love to use, not to mention that we aren't the smallest band," one of our scouts asked, giving my young pupil a good hindsight on the current situation. However, this didn't faze her, for she kept that same stoic expression she carries around whenever she is thinking.

"I’m aware of that," she said, the scout's expression not faltering, "But one of us could transform into a small bird and open the place from the inside,"

That.... is actually not a bad idea. Just one thing though.

Who will do it and how much does love would that one need to succeed? This plan seemed great, but it all went down with the lack of resources...

Resources… Am I going to do that again? Do I have to? I know its consequences, but is it really needed now? I mean, yes, the group needs my help more than ever and I just can’t stand back, watching everything fall apart from a selfish reason. But if I do it…

… Well, I guess I have no other choice. But for now, I can give it a bit of time.

"Not bad," I said, petting her mane for mere instants, "I knew you were a special changeling,"

"Hey, stop it! I'm ticklish!" she said with one of her eyes closed. The rest of the changeling squad saw our interaction as obvious as it may seem, but most of them held a heartwarming smile on their faces. Their reactions reminded me that we still have hope in the bottom of our hearts, knowing that things will take turn for the best in its respective time.

However, other soldiers seemed annoyed by my display of praise. Not that I cared anyways. She thought outside the box for once and she did a fine job.

But still....

"One problem though,"

"Huh?"

“What do you mean by Huh?,” I asked, hoping it was a mistake, “Clearly, you do know the problem your plan shows right here… don’t you?”

“Uh…”

I gave her a puzzling look and wondered if she was just messing with me. "You didn't think this one through, did you?" She shook her head. Nope. That was as far as she could get for now. Still, a good job.

"I see... don't worry, I got this," I looked back at my soldiers and spoke through our hive-channel, "Anypony has a spare of love?"

Almost everypony rejected owning more love than needed, leaving me to fewer options, but a few of them admitted having a little of love to spare. Asking them to give me their rations, I focused on my young pupil once more.

"Here is the thing," I pointed at the place Cross showed me moments ago, "Your plan is the best one we have so far, so we'll take it,"

Some soldiers seemed both amused by my decision, while others remained stoic as ever.

"Really?" she said, enthusiasm filling her just like a Pepsi would after being shaken roughly.

"Yes, really. Not the greatest, but we will take it. Don’t let it go over your head," I said, my pupil eagerly waiting for my answer, “Gather up squad! Here is the plan,”

Everyone gathered around me and bent their heads forward to have a clearer hearing, "We are going to pull out an silent airborne strike, for one of us is going to enter through that small gap up there,” I marked the small opening which happened to be on the rooftop and the small window poking out, "Using a bird disguise, one of us will enter through there and bust the entrance open for our assault to take place,"

"But sir, we don't have enough love for that! We barely have any, not to mention we don't how long will it take to do that," one of the soldiers said. Another changeling spoke up as well, “Also, the amount of love you just received would only last about 5 minutes, max. I highly doubt 5 minutes is enough to pull this through,” I looked and glared at said soldier, making him more nervous than before.

"I know that," with my glare both unfazed and strengthening, "But it's our best shot at this. It's risky, but our best bet nevertheless. Besides, I don't choose battles I know I can't win,"

"And who is going to do it?" Jolt asked. I could easily tell that he was hoping the bait wasn't him. It was not him the one would do it. I have somepony else in mind.

"Easy," I nudged at my young pupil and smiled, "She will,"

"WHAT?!"


".... What?"

"Huh, whasuuh? No mamá... Sebastian arrojó la salsa al gato y por eso salio corriendo al auto.... Aun así, que mal saltó... Pobre auto," 'No mom.... Sebastian threw the sauce at the cat and that's why it ran towards the car.... still, that was an awful jump... poor car...'

"Um, Fire? Could you please not fall asleep? I'm trying to make this as efficient as possible..."

".... Huh? Jeje... pay de queso cubierto con mermelada zarzamoras... ohhh, delicioso...." ' ....Huh? Hehe, cheesecake covered in blueberry mermelaid... ohhh, delicious...'

"Fire...."

"Hey, how is everything goin- .... is he asleep?" Oh, the cheesecake! It's so close! I can almost taste it!

"Yes, yes he is. It almost looks like he couldn't care less about my teaching,"

"Is that so? Very well, then," Come to Papa! Let me have a bite~!

'Um, Uncle? What are you doing?" Almost....

"Just teaching him something to make sure he doesn't fall asleep like that any time soon," ALMOST....

"Uh... Oh. Oh! Oh no. Actually, could you please not-" ALMOST!!!

"WAKEY WAKEY!" GOTCHA!

.......

.......

....... I didn't know the cheesecake could be so... shocking.

"GAHH!" I yelped as I felt a electricity source circulate through my body, originating from my forehead. My mind went into a state of panic as I immediately took flight and flew aimlessly. The situation kept going for half a minute until I could finally return to my senses.

Coming to a halt, I searched the source of my sudden awakening, only to find none other than Drive staring at me with a smug/evil smile. On top of his broken horn, I noticed some sparks coming out of it, eliminating any kind of possible suspects. Drive just shocked me. Electricity! I mean, did you have any idea how dangerous is that!? Although, with that broken horn, I amazes me that he can still perform magic. Elemental magic nevertheless!

Hmph, I suppose I deserve that for coming up with baseless conclusions. Talking about deserving...

I approached Drive with an angry, yet surprised expression, hoping to get some answers out of him.

"Hey, what's the big deal?!" I said.

"What?"

"Why did you shock me!? What's more, I didn't know you could do magic with that broken horn!"

"Funny, I didn't know you could actually fly! Especially without knowing how to do so in the first place," Fly?

Looking down from where I was, I immediately noticed that my hooves weren't touching the ground. To be more accurate, my hooves were hovering at quite an amount of feet. I was flying.

"You are just full of surprises, don't you?"

"Oh," Famous last words. "Well. . . crud,"

I dropped from the air and went head straight onto the ground, assuring not only a very painful landing, but also a headache for the rest of the day. Hitting the ground, my body remained in a vertical position as I endured the pain and the balance of my body with my face.

Literally.

It wasn't long before my balance gave up, my body inclining forward as it slowly met the floor. If I had to describe the pain I felt during that time in one word, this would describe it perfectly.

EXCRUCIATING.

Once I stomped against the hard, cold ground, I somehow managed to flip over without hurting my horn in the process. Don't get me wrong. That doesn't mean the fall didn't damaged my horn. Quite the contrary. I'm just surprised that my body weight didn't shatter my impaling weapon into tiny pieces.

My body came to a full halt once the ceiling came to my sights.

"Having fun down there?" said Drive as he appeared out of the blue. I grumbled some words that are better left unknown to them as I attempted endure the damage, "I will take that as a yes,"

"Very funny," I managed to say despite feeling that a truck just rammed me over.

I flipped over from my laid down position and stood back up with some trouble. Drive may be behind me, but even I knew that his already famous smug was plastered all over his face.

"Mr. Fire, are you okay?!" Ah, the sweet voice of Emerald. Good thing she is here, otherwise I would have whooped this guy's face all across the floor. That is, if I knew how to fight back.

Better ignore those kind of thoughts.

I turned around and saw a worried looking Emerald staring at me. Attempting to look unscratched, I placed a hoof on the back on my head and smiled.

"Yeah, that was nothing-"

Emerald slowly became more relaxed as I told her that, only to be quickly replaced with a concerned expression, her blue navy eyes quickly shrunk to the size of a coin, "Oh my Chrysalis, you are bleeding!"

"What?"

Before I had a chance to analyze what she just said, I felt a trail of some liquid make contact with my eye and muzzle. Curious, I slowly reached the liquid with my hoof, finding out that I was, in fact, bleeding. I moved my bloody hoof in front of me to inspect it better. It appears that it was a small cut, judging by the amount of blood I both saw and felt.

Upon closer look, I noticed that my blood was no longer red as I remembered. My blood somehow turned from red to green ever I turned into a changeling, so there is that. Despite the greenish color, it had a sluggish touch. This was obvious since I touched it, but it felt really weird. I mean, I lived my whole time with the fact that my blood was red, not forgetting to mention that it wasn't the cleanest blood considering that it was more like water than goo or something like that.

.... Maybe it had something to do with my diet back when I was a human. Who knows.

But still, what I was looking at is no longer the blood I remember. My life-knowledge was crushed as my blood were replaced with a green, sluggish liquid, similar to some insects fluids from back home in my childhood. This body is just full of surprises. Well, it is to be expected anyhow.

Just what else does the changeling race have in store for me?

Oh. For the record, this strongly backs up the 'I'm a bug' theory.

"Huh, I am," I calmly said, "Oh well, I better clean it-"

"Hold on! I'll be right back!"

And just like that, Emerald disappeared from sight, as her trail of flight directed into the school. No idea where she went, but something tells me the infirmary. Why did she make out such an scene for such a small injury?

Looking around, I realized that none of my classmates had noticed our small scene. Almost as if they didn't care. Perhaps that is the case.

... Pricks.

"Is she always like that?" I asked Drive without looking at him, who hadn't said a single word ever since I got injured from my fall.

Drive simply said nothing, as he continued to stare at where Emerald was last seen. I would have gotten angry at him for ignoring me, but my sense of curiosity beat me to it.

"Um, Drive?" He snapped out of whatever thoughts he had and look over at me, "Is something wrong? You haven't said a thing, which I find weird considering it's you,"

"... It's nothing," he replied, holding a very long face, "It's just an old memory,"

"Old memory? Drive," I walked slowly towards him, feeling more worried than I thought. Almost as if I already knew what Drive was thinking about, "What are you talking about?"

"'It's nothing' I said," Wow, I certainly didn't expect that, "An old memory just came up. Drop the conversation, ahora,"

Geez, he suddenly turned hostile. I better back off for now.

.... Wait, did he just say an spanish word? What's more, he said that exact same thing that my-

"I'm here!"

My thoughts were interrupted by Emerald as she flew towards me in a hasty way. Halting just a few inches from me, I realized that she brought a band-aid and some... bottled up liquid? What?

"Please Mr. Fire, hold still!" she said in a panicking tone. Too agitated if you ask me.

I had no idea what she was about to do, but something told me not to worry about that. Whatever she intended to do, there was a rather slim chance for her to do more harm than otherwise.

Then again, I could be mistaken.

Holding still like she asked me, Emerald removed the lid of bottle, picking a very small portion of said liquid with her magic and placing it on the injury. The potion felt as gentle as pillow, which left me with doubts to why it felt like a pillow in the first place. She continued applying the liquid on the cut, giving the impression that she was rubbing certain amounts of the potion on my injury. Even though the liquid caused me some pain, I still endured the process to avoid making Emerald panic more than she already was.

Funny thing is, I didn't feel the same. Whatever ingredients the potion had, it seemed that the medicine had some sort of advance effect which I don't recognize at all. I have little words on how to describe it, but I felt more energized, almost as if I could fight an army of... whatever living creature inhabits this crazy world.

Now I'm curious. What does it do exactly?

Having some time to think for myself, I pondered what does magic hold in storage for me. After all, the whole green-blood issue made me remember that I was in a completely different body, with no idea how to either make use of it or the way it works. Perhaps I could be hiding something that would totally blow my mind, or maybe a really interesting feature that I may have overlook in the first place. The bottle and its weird effect doesn't help either with my curiosity. Emerald is the expert here, but maybe Drive knows something about it as well?

I opened one eye expecting to see Drive, but he was long gone. A note was the only thing that remained in its place. The letter was barely readable from my position, but I assume it must a message for me. In what moment did he leave?

"There! All done!" said Emerald as she backed with large smile plastered on her face.

Cute.

"Thanks... but," I raised my hoof to my head attempting to touch the injury, only to have Emerald lower that same hoof, avoiding what I wanted to do, "But just what did you put on my cut?"

"Oh, just an old medicine recipe I learned during one of my Silent missio-, I mean... scouting. Yeah, that." Silent Scouting? Isn't that related to stealth?

".... Sure," I slowly said, my suspicions rising to some mistrust degree. However, I had no idea what I was about face, so I assumed it was a simple mission of some sort.

Ignoring the thought, I shrugged at her answer, "Well, whatever suits you. I just have one question though,"

Emerald cocked her head to a side, showing a puppy-curious looking expression. If she keeps doing those cute expressions, my heart might not make it!

Technically speaking.

"Hm? What do you want to ask?"

"I know that this liquid is an old medicine of yours, but in what ways will the medicine affect me?" I said, focusing my senses at the sluggish substance on my head, "I mean, it feels gooey, and I'm a bit clueless about your medicine symptoms. Not forgetting to mention that it has some sort weird effect on me,"

As I finished asking, Emerald tapped her muzzle slowly, obviously thinking what to answer. Frowning a little, it seemed Emerald didn't quite get what I wanted to hear. Maybe I should be a little more specific on my question.

"What I mean, is that I just want to know what will your medicine do to me," I rephrased, hoping to get my question this time. Luckily for me, it seemed I did explained it better for her. Emerald's eyes began shining brighter and brighter as it seemed that I touched a very appealing topic for her. She let out a squeaking sound, a small 'Ah,' and began constructing her answer.

"I see. Let me explain it," Pulling the bottle closer, she levitated the object in front of the two of us so I could have a better look, "What we are seeing right now is a recipe better known as 'Saber Spark', a high level potion that a particular pony once taught me,"

Oh truly? That does sound interesting.

"And it does.... what?"

"It enhances the user's stamina and durability, furthering the resistance of any damage the pony, or in this case, changeling may recieve," she explained with a spark in her eyes. By the looks of it, she really enjoyed this potion business thingy. Well, we all have our liking.

"So, does that mean I won't-"

"Bleed any time soon, which that means no bleeding for any fall like the one you just received. Unless you receive a very heavy attack, which is unlikely for now," Wow, that is really useful! Although it seems that a potion like this comes rarely.

"Did you use a very special potion on me over a small cut? Seems like a waste of resources if you ask me," I said. Emerald didn't look fazed by this somehow. She just giggled at my reaction, giving me a wink as well.

"Oh don't worry, I just applied a very small portion on it. No biggie," Okay then...

"Well, if you are sure about it..."

"Of course I am! Now let's continue our magic lesson!" Oh crud. I forgot about that, "Follow me, Mr. Fire!"

As Emerald said that, she was already heading towards her magic book she left behind after her previous flight. With no intentions to ignore her command, I followed her, not before reading the note I saw earlier.

To Fire (Emerald, stop reading. Now.)

Hey colt, sorry for leaving you hanging alone, but I needed to do something I just remembered.

Make sure to learn as much you can from Emerald, and try to avoid falling asleep like that again. She is very dear to me, and I would hate for you to make her waste her precious time. I don't care much if you are a special VIP in our hive or not, just don't make her effort look in vain. Got it?

Oh, that reminds me. It seems that Emerald likes you. I suggest that you don't hurt her feelings, otherwise... I might take action.

One last thing. If you do manage to fall asleep again, I will give you a VERY GOOD reason not to fall asleep.

Mark my words, colt. I mean it.

~ Drive

..........

... Note to self, 'Don't piss off Drive'. P.D. 'He is a quick writer!'

I better hurry. If I take too long with Emerald, who knows what might Drive do to me. So, yeah, there is that.

HurryHurryHurryHurryHurryHurryHurryHurryHurryHurryHurry~

Letting out a heavy sigh, I continued on with my new adventure as a changeling-in-training. I just hope nothing bad will happen to me anytime soon. But knowing how things have turned so far, it is very likely that something bad will happen. Well, just like my brother used to tell me, "Hay que hacerle huevos, mijo," 'Just deal with it, bro' (Note: Not exact translation)

"Argh!" I yelled at the air as I followed Emerald, "Why does Life like to torture me!?"