• Published 5th Dec 2014
  • 1,233 Views, 8 Comments

Surprise Surprise - Fluttering_Ashes



Set after the events of Too Many Pinkie Pies and the implications of repeated cloning.

  • ...
0
 8
 1,233

Chapter the second

The cakes weren’t very welcoming at first. Oh! Sorry, I mean the owners of the bakery, Mr. and Mrs. Cake, not the cake cakes. The cake cakes were great! They just sat there decorated in bright colorful icing and watched me pass by. But anywho, Mr and Mrs. Cake didn’t really welcome me at first. They looked at my big sister then at me, and they looked back and forth real quick for a really really long time before

Mrs. Cake said. “Pinkie, can we talk to you in the other room?”

“Sure!” Pinkie said, patting my head lightly. “You stay right here! Okay sis?” She pointed to the rug I was currently standing on. I nodded and quietly sat down to wait. The waiting took forever! Waiting was booooring! It didn’t take long before my sitting became slumping, and my slumpin’ became laying on my back and staring up at the ceiling. A noise caught my attention not long after that and I rolled over. Sitting in two chairs, blinking at me were two of the teeny tiniest ponies I had ever seen! I bounced up and made a beeline for the counter to get a better look. Wait, do bees make lines? How would a beeline look? Would it look like the bee or would it look like a letter B or...oh now I’m confused. I’ll have to ask Pinkie about that later!

Anyway!The tiny ponies seemed just as confused as the bigger ponies Pinkie had left with. One was a grayish yellow sorta color, with a brown mane that was shaped weird, sorta pointy and going back, almost reminded me of a swirl in the middle of one of the cakes I saw. He had wings like I did! The other one was a much brighter yellow, with an orange mane and a blue bow, she was a unicorn like that white and purple pony from early.

The little filly cocked her head to one side, while the pegasus cocked his head the other.

“Pinkie?” One asked

“Pie?” The other finished. A sudden pain hit my chest...at first I thought the kids had slipped me some ucky barfy berries without me realizing or something, but the hurt got better a second later and then I got this warm fuzzy feelin’. They thought I was my big sis! As cute as it was, I had to correct them.

“Nonono” I chided gently “Not Pinkie. My name’s Surprise!” This just seemed to confuse them more. I held out my hoof for the tiny ponies to shake, but this only seemed to make things bad. The little one with the orange hair started sniffling, tears fillin’ up her eyes. Yuh oh! Why was this bad! The purple pony had said this is what ya did when you met somepony new! I musta did it wrong! Or that purple pony lied to me...but she didn’t seem like...oh right, crying filly!

“Nope, he-hey! Don’t do that! Look! Surprise is funny like Pinkie!” I looked around for something to show just how fun I was! Bowl? Had food in it, useless. Rug? Too scary, they’ll think I’m a ghost. Bag of Flour? Last resort. Wings...Better try it!

“See look!” I said, covering my face with my wings.

“Where’d Surprise go!”I peeked out between a few feathers, watching the two for a moment before I spread the wings apart.

“There she is!” The two jumped, then, just as quickly, they began to laugh and squeal. I did it again, hiding my face with my wings, then bursting out of the little ball I had made myself into.

“Awww” I wheeled around as I heard the gentle coo of two mares, one was my big sis, naturally, and the other was Mrs. Cake, both of whom were staring with big grins on their faces. Mr. Cake just seemed...puzzled? Confused? Something like that. Unsure maybe.

“Did you two find a new friend?” Asked Mrs. Cake, trotting forward and gently stroking the filly’s hair.

“Sir” said the filly

“Pwise!”Said the colt. Both mares awwed again as heat rushed to my cheeks.

“Come on!” Cried Pinkie, grabbing me by the hoof and dragging me to the stairs.

“I’ll show you our room! Oh oh! Wait till you meet Gummy! He’ll just flip when he sees you!” I waved at the two giggling foals in their high chairs as I was pulled away. Pinkie grinned at me as we made the first landing.

“Now!” Called the voice of Mister Cake. “I don’t wanna hear any roughhousing up there girls!”

“Don’t worry Mister Cake!” Pinkie shouted over her shoulder “We’ll be good!”

“Does this mean we can’t make a pillow fort?” I mouthed to Pinkie. Pinkie put a hoof to her lips, then mimed locking her lips with a key and tossing it away. We were not to discuss it out loud until we got into the bedroom.


“You lucky duck, you! It took me a month to get them to remember my name! How’d you do it? Did you have candy with ya? Oh! It was the Flour sack wasn’t it! Oh I bet it was candy with the flour sack!” She then grabbed me by the shoulders, and held me extra close, staring deep into my eyes in the way she did when she usually has something vastly important to say. At least I assumed that what it was. That’s what I would do at least.

“Surprise” She whispered gravely “Don’t ever do the flour trick during bath time! No matter how much they cry! It gets messy! Just give them a rubber ducky!” I blinked.

“Duckies can be made of rubber? Where do rubber duckies come from Pinkie? Does a mama rubber ducky and a daddy rubber duc-” Pinkie’s hoof found it’s way to my mouth before I could finish my question on the biology of bathroom waterfowl.

“Rated E!” She cried in a panic“Rated E!” Without another word the pink pony lead me into our new room.

“We’re gonna have the Surprise party day after tomorrow! The cakes said we could have it here! Isn’t that great? Spike helped me send out all the invitations while Twilight was finishing her exam on ya!” I grumbled and rubbed my upper foreleg.

“She’s way too pokey with those things some times”

“Oh I know! She’s like one of my super duperist best friends ever, but when she’s gotta know somethin’ she sooo doesn’t skimp on the pokey things! I remember this one time she tried t-” Just as the interesting story was about to start, something small and green lept from it’s hiding place and flew at my face. I won’t deny, I was incredibly brave about it.

“Eeek! Frog on my face! Frog on my face!” See? Such bravery has not been seen in Equestria before or since!

“That’s not a frog, silly willy. That’s just Gummy!” I opened my eyes to find a pair of the most adorable big purple eyes staring right back at me, the gator suspended by his mouth from my snout, drool running from his gums onto me. He let out a delighted hiss, and popped himself off, latching onto my mane instead, his little tail swishing.

“Aww! He likes me!” I giggled, gently bopping his head.

“Yup! Real lady’s gator! Any way where was I?”

“Party?” I suggested helpfully

“Oh yeah! The super funerific party! Spike helped me send invitations to Mom and Dad and the sisters! Oh, our sisters, ya got three of ‘em now! Well I guuuess you had three of ‘em before, you just didn’t know it. But you know it now so you got three of them now so they’ll be coming soon!” She paused and looked expectantly out of the window.

“Huh...usually I’m a lot better with my timing then that…”

“Oh oh lemme try!” I cried eagerly, stepping next to the window.

“Gee, I wonder when I’ll get to meet my new sisters!” I waited...and waited…and nothing happened. Well something sorta happened. Gummy let go of my mane to enjoy the view from the window sill. He just stood there, on the window, staring off at the town, taking a second to lick his eyeball. What a talented little guy he was! I gave him another pat.

“Let a master show ya how it’s done” Pinkie said with a posh tone, polishing her hoof on her coat. She leaned her back against the window frame, resting her head on the back of her hooves and talking in a very loud whisper.
“Gee. I don’t know when they’ll get here! I mean, I sure hope they’re not late!” She then turned to me, with an expression that said ‘I’m really acting super hard to be upset right now’

“I’m sorry Surprise, it looks like we’ll-” Suddenly a loud crash erupted from outside the window “Oh there she is!” Said Pinkie, dropping her act at once.

I peeked past Pinkie’s poofy mane to spy a gray mare climbing off a rock the size of a cart, paying no mind to the ponies staring at her. She wore a dark blue dress, her mane was flat and purple, and she was stuffing a colorful invitation into her collar. Pinkie was bouncing on the tips of her hooves.

“Eeee! My best sister friend is gonna meet my newest sister friend! This is gonna be so awesome!” She grabbed me by the hoof, and dragged me down the stairs to meet the mare at the door.

“Maud!” Squealed Pinkie, throwing her fore legs around the pony. Since I was clinging hard to sis’s hoof, I ended up with the hoof around the back of the pony, Maud’s neck. I blinked, glanced around, gave a tiny shrug at Pinkie, and hugged the back of Maud’s head.

“Hello Pinkie” Said Maud, in a steady voice, which I gotta say must be really hard to do when you got two ponies on your neck. But Maud was solid muscle. Solid as a rock some might say...heh, I get it.

“And you must be Surprise”

“Hehe! Maudie is great at guessing games!” Pinkie beamed with pride.

“Yup! That’s me!” I said happily, as my new sister reached back and picked me off her neck, holding me upside down before her. We blinked at each other, Pinkie grinning from ear to ear, Maud just looking neutral and quiet. I didn't like the quiet...it made me antsy, and I don't like being antsy. Antsy is a thing only ants should be, a Surprise like myself should only be pony...y. Or surprising...surprising sounds better. I glanced between my two sisters before I decided to break the silence.

“Wanna come inside and help us set up for the party? We can make candy!” A small smile tugged at Maud’s lips. Jackpot!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I left the room with the latest batch of rock candy, balancing it on my head. I didn’t know rocks could be candy, truthfully. Had I known that I would’ve eaten a ton more rocks while I was out in the Everfree! I dumped the supplies bucket next to the table we were puttin’ all the candy on, and began to sort it out by color. This party was gonna be the best party I’ve ever had! Well...it was the first party I’ve ever had so it had to be, but it was gonna be the best because my whole family was gonna be there and that was gonna be amazing! I couldn’t wait to meet my ma and poppa! And the twins! Four new sisters! It was so exciting! But I was real nervous too...maybe we should make a word for that.

I made my way back to kitchen where Pinkie and Maud were hard at work making candy. I really wanted to surprise them, Maud was a hard mare to sneak up on but I really wanted to make her jump at least once! I waited at the door for the perfect moment to strike.

“Be honest with me, Pinkie” I heard Maud say.

“Hmm?” Answered Pinkie.

“It was that Cheese stallion, wasn’t it?”

“Huh?” Pinke sounded confused, and I didn’t blame her. Cheese stallion? Who ever heard of a pony made of cheese! That was silly!

“That’s who her father is. Then something happened to make her grow up.” Maud pressed on. Who were they talkin’ about?

“Huh?” Pinkie said again. There was silence for a moment before Pinkie said.

“Oh. Oooooh! Oh. Nope! That didn’t happen! Cheesy is just a friend. Besides! She’s our sister, silly! Thats all there is to it!” Oh my gosh! They were talking about one of our sisters! I leaned in, close, peeking in through the key hole. Maud’s back was to the door, and she was making her past it. Past my hiding spot. I grinned, stuffed a hoof into my mouth to keep quiet, and quietly bounced on the spot.

“You know.” Maud was saying

“Most ponies are going to think she’s-” Now! I leaped out from behind the door

“Surprise!” I squealed. Pinkie squeaked and fell over, I grinned at Maud, noticing a drop of sugary, syrupy goodness from the pot she was holding on the floor.

“Hehe! I got her!” I giggled, Pinkie snickered, wrapping her foreleg around Maud’s shoulder.

“Hehe, she got you good, Maud! I never saw you so freaked!” Pinkie teased. Maud’s expression hadn’t changed. I guess I’d learn to see the differences eventually. Maud nodded just once, and carried the rapidly hardening lump of sugary goodness to one of the tables. She dumped out the solid cube of rainbow colored rock candy, waited a few seconds and then tapped it with her hoof. The whole thing shattered and we had a new batch of rainbow colored candy shards for the table! How was I gonna sort this out!

“You know Surprise” Maud said, turning around to face me.

“The family will want to know where you came from. Father will ask a lot of questions...what are you planning on telling him?”

I smiled and trotted over with my empty bucket, pushing all of the hard candy into it as I spoke. “Oh that’s easy! I’ll just tell him the truth! I’ll tell him I was born when these crazy pink ponies that looked like sis pulled me out of a hole in the ground filled up with magic pond water!”

Off to do more candy sorting! I trotted out of the room.

Comments ( 1 )

6288906 Oh don't worry! As long as no one's mean about it i'm fine with having that stuff pointed out. It helps make me a better writer. To be honest I write right before bed when i'm really tired, its just when I do my best stuff. I'm surprised (no pun intended ) it looks this good.

Login or register to comment