• Published 12th Oct 2014
  • 9,703 Views, 474 Comments

The March of the Giants - LindwurmProto



At a young age, a changeling queen is rescued by space-faring humans and learns to walk an entirely new path. Now watch as an Changeling carve a new future for her kind.

  • ...
31
 474
 9,703

The Powder Keg

Cadence sighed as she looked over her own country, the Crystal Empire. Ever since the empire had returned from its magical stasis, she had expected Sombra to return, but the evil king did not appear in any shape or form. In fact, her own guards had found Sombra's ruined body splattered against the snow and a long blade impaled through his head. Now it seemed so calm despite the harsh blizzard around the empire made seeing out difficult and the trains had long stopped due to frozen rails.

But the most difficult part was the issue with obtaining food and other vital supplies.

Due to the thousand years it had been in unexpected stasis, the empire in the past had not fully stocked its storehouses and now they were having an issue with feeding the population. Rationing had to be introduced, but that had lowered the effectiveness of the Crystal Heart (found after a quick search after King Sombra’s unexpected death) enough to let the cold set in. And seeing as how her husband, Shining Armor, was stuck in Canterlot trying to get more supplies shipped to the Crystal Empire despite the fearsome weather. But that had been a month ago and still no news from Canterlot and it was frustrating for her to watch her own little ponies suffer like this.

And right now, she wished she was more attentive during all those political lessons Celestia had given her. Next to her was a letter from the Griffon Empire demanding her immediate surrender to their ‘Emperor’. They had written that her surrender would allow them to induct the crystal ponies under the Griffon Imperium's ‘protection’, allowing the influx of necessary supplies. They had promised fair treatment to all those who surrendered, but if there was anything her aunt had drilled into her head, it was to stand tall and mighty above all else and not to show any ‘visible’ weakness whatsoever. She had yet to reply, but even with her pathetically small knowledge in military issues and whatnot, she knew for sure that the Crystal Empire would fall in hours if not a single day of fighting.

Looking back at the letter, she sighed deeply and looked out of her balcony once more out at the empire she ruled under the guidance of Celestia.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}

Unknown by the ponies that lived in crystalline city, the harsh blizzards only existed due to Sombra's magic still running its course despite his death. But even against this horrid weather, six large bipedal giants moved slowly, but surely towards the city flanked by a full dozen smaller walkers. The weather stopped airships entirely and all supplies would freeze in matter of hours, but for the giants, it merely looked like they were walking without trouble. And seeing as they were covered in white fabric that covered their massive forms, they were practically invisible in this weather.

If the pony princess did not surrender, they were to storm the city and subjugate it by any means necessary. But if they did surrender... Well, let it be said that the Griffons had honor enough to ferry supplies into the lone city by using whatever means necessary.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}

Celestia blinked blankly at the crystal pony that was now sitting before her, out of breath and looking uncomfortable in the warm temperature of Equestria.

"Can you reply to what you just said?" Celestia asked once again to confirm what she was hearing was a lie. At least she had hoped it was a lie.

"P-Princess Cadence had sent me to inform you that the Crystal Empire surrendered to the Griffon Imperium." The pony looked meek and afraid of the unicorn guards around her, but it seemed as if Celestia was ignoring that fact for now. "No pony was harmed and to tell you that she is fine. S-she also suggested that your majesty do nothing for now seeing as the Griffons did not harm anypony."

"Very well, guards-" The crystal pony meekly raised her foreleg before Celestia nodded at the mare.

"I-I have to return as soon as possible, so I would like it if I could leave now..." Celestia smiled as sweetly as possible and allowed her guards to escort her to the station where the train would take her as close as possible to the Crystal Empire. But as soon as the mare and the two guards had left, her mood darkened and immediately canceled the rest of her Solar Court. She had no time to deal with those arrogant nobles now.

Why would Cadence surrender so quickly? That child should know better than to bow to the Griffons! And instead of consulting her, the filly had made her own uninformed choice. What she didn't understand was how Sombra had been murdered, why the snowstorm had gotten worse and how the Griffons actually got troops into the winter wasteland despite the harsh conditions presented. Swiftly teleporting to her own quarters, she needed to plan on how to take the Empire back from those foul birds. She doubted those bloodthirsty birds had not harmed her little ponies and she knew that the Griffons had threatened the pony to come and tell her that all was okay. Taking a paper and quill, she began to draft a letter to Shining Armor. Perhaps she should throw in those new golems to combat those griffons. With the weather, the Griffons most likely only had a few dozen soldiers that controlled the empire with Cadence under lock and key, so it would be up to her guards to free the newly enslaved nation.

With the combination of her guards and their magical golems, that would no doubt break their bloodthirsty ways for a century or two.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{} {}{}{}{}

Patina looked at her custom painted Deva Heavy Omni-mech with excitement. Colored dark orange covering the white and with a rust red coloring over the black, the heavy battlemech wielded her favorite configuration of Heavy PPC, two Extended Range (ER) medium lasers, four medium pulse lasers, and a single ER medium with an ER small mounted to the rear of the machine. It also could ‘jump’ 120 meters using its jump-jets and fielded enough armor to take a direct shot from nearly anything. She was admiring the machine with a smile when she noticed Myxine trot over to her.

"Patina, we have problems." Myxine said in a serious voice holding a data pad in her magic. "One of our spies in the Griffon Empire told us that they just took over the Crystal Empire."

With a groan, Patina took the data pad with her magic and began to read.

"It seemed that they took advantage of Princess Cadence's problems with her 'Empire' and had easily taken them over." Myxine pulled out several photos from within her uniform and sighed. "I don't know how, but they have their own form of mechs. Can’t write those off as they are at least 30 tons in weight."

"They seem to be armed with a single large chainsaw and a cannon on its arms..." Patina immediately dropped the data pad in favor of the pictures. "Oh, looks like a machine gun next to its head and their ‘house’ on the other side. Not to mention those smaller ‘Warglaives’ fielding smaller cannons and chainsaws… And they took over the Empire with only a total of eighteen machines..."

"The Crystal Empire is known for their Crystal Heart and from what I heard, it's powered by the... crystal ponies' positive feelings. I don't particularly know how, but it does." Patina seemed to be not bothered by the information. "Patina?"

"Can't you see it?" Patina handed the photos over back to Myxine and shook her head. "If the Griffons did capture the Crystal Empire, Equestria won't sit still; or rather Celestia won't." Going over to a console, she brought up a map of Equestria. "If you can see here, the Crystal Empire lies in the Frozen North where its harsh weather blocks any 'normal' airships from entering the Empire as of now. But what is so important about the Crystal Empire? Hmm?"

"Important about the Crystal Empire?" Myxine looked confused at the thought. What could be so important about some thousand year old empire that came back?

"The Crystals!" Patina whispered out loud as she brought up several data sheets. "Equestria has always been in a steady decline of effective magic-storing crystals and from what Magica had told me, it was rumored that there was crystalline city that possessed an incredible amount of such crystals that was considered the highest qualities of at the time and was ruled by a Equestrian-Appointed leader that went mad later on."

"And if the Griffons manage to control that supply..." Myxine shot up suddenly remembering something. "And they also have that puppet ruler whose husband is the Captain of the Royal Guard."

"...Oh for the love of..." Both Patina and Myxine looked at each other and sighed in a tired manner. Dozens of thoughts passed their minds, but they were still wondering what they should do in the long run, despite knowing how the confrontation between the Imperium and Celestia would go.

Author's Note:

Rewritten and moving on!

SO... PLEASE PLEASE READ AND REVIEW!!!