• Published 12th Oct 2014
  • 9,703 Views, 474 Comments

The March of the Giants - LindwurmProto



At a young age, a changeling queen is rescued by space-faring humans and learns to walk an entirely new path. Now watch as an Changeling carve a new future for her kind.

  • ...
31
 474
 9,703

Operation Barbarossa Pt.1

Manehattan. Considered the center of ‘industrial’ achievement in Equestria, it was home to nearly two million ponies that worked hundreds of different jobs and infrastructure. It was also home to the new Fourth Legion with their aerial fleet that was tasked to defend the city that was only ‘eclipsed’ by Equestria. It produced nearly seventy percent of goods that were used all over Equestria and even exported to other nations via the Equestrian wet naval vessels.

The Fourth Legion, established two years after Princess Luna’s disappearance, were a five thousand strong formation that possessed nearly twelve Armored Golems, twenty standard Golems, and nearly twenty magical artillery cannons of various strengths. Most had just come out of the new training camp located near Las Pegasus and were rather eager to be called a Guard of Equestria. Even their equipment was ‘top of the line’. Armored with a full body padded suit that had an outer layer covered in enchanted ‘scales’ with their hooves and neck protected by golden armor pieces with helmets colored gold that were fully enclosed*. They were armed with the new blaster spears, short golden spears that could fire various elemental projectiles with just a twist of a certain part of the body of the spear. It was ‘rated’ to penetrate Griffon plate armor and even threaten their ‘cumbersome’ tanks. Even then, their foreleg hoof-guards had folding blades for close combat and each soldier carried a small shield projector that claimed to be able to withstand anything the Griffons could throw at them.

All in all, they were an untested military force with a lot of courage.

“Hey! Anything you can see?” A female unicorn called up to a guard within one of the newly constructed watchtowers near the coast to watch for anything that was coming, be it friendly or enemy.

“Nope! It's just nothing but clear skies with a bit of rain clouds mixed within them!” The male pegasus shouted back down as he put down the telescope he had been seeing through. “Isn’t the Second Air Fleet going out to clear those clouds though?”

“Yep! They’re going to leave in an hour!” The cheer in her voice was obvious.

The Second Air Fleet was equipped with the latest Aerial Ships that Equestria produced. The new airships were general in the shape of a blimp with a flat top with an extended bottom near the front that had numerous ball turrets fitted with light magical artillery cannons, while the top featured four turrets each featuring some of the largest magical artillery cannons Equestria could produce. With a turret in the front, two facing the sides and the last facing the rear; the ship essentially was protected on all sides that was supplanted by enchanted armor plates that covered all of the ship and possessing a low bridge in the middle of the turrets, with only two side doors that served as entryways onto the ship itself. The fleet consisted of two 245 meter long battleships, four 270 meter long cruisers, and over a dozen 50 meter long destroyers; so it was one of the most powerful fleets Equestria possessed excluding the largest fleet docked near Canterlot.

And the only reason they were stationed in Manehattan was because of the sheer amount of production capability the city possessed alongside its massive port that brought in goods from other nations, such as the Zebra Nations.

“When’s my replacement coming?” The pegasus shouted at the unicorn as the powerful magical aerial engines of the 2nd fleet could be heard in the distance.

“She’s on her way!” The unicorn shouted just as the first four destroyers took to the air. One of their many tasks was to have the pegasi crewman go out and clear the clouds. Rather ‘boring’ but a necessary duty to make sure the ships, both wet and aerial, moved without any impediment or having their sights blocked by foul weather.

“I wish these shifts were shorter. Nothing ever happens here.” The pegasus complained as he held up the telescope again and noticed something in the distance. “What the hay is that?”

Just as he twisted the larger lens to zoom in on the anomaly, there was the sound of a muted explosion and the pegasus realized too late that the rain clouds were not actual clouds. He barely caught sight of the highly angled front of a Griffon Battleship with what appeared to be a massive cannon mounted just underneath the bow.

“Oh buc-” A massive explosion practically disintegrated the watchtower and the large clearing behind it that had stockpiled with crates of military rations and various other military supplies. Before the female unicorn could realize what was happening, the entire area around the watchtower exploded as dozens of large shells landed with unerring accuracy. As the destroyers attempted to leave their docks as they noticed the destruction of the watchtower near them, multiple shrieks of rocket engines could be heard as they streaked from the ‘rain clouds’ and speared through three of the destroyers and blew them in half while the fourth barely managed to dodge the rocket meant for them as they had managed to push out by overcharging their engines for a brief second. The rocket however, streaked into the underground docks and smashed right into the bridge of the battleship Celestia’s Glory somehow. The explosion, while unseen, easily split the ship in half and damaged two other cruisers that were in the process of starting up.

As the sirens sounded throughout the city of Manehattan, they could see the veritable armada that made up the Griffon Army Group Centre revealed itself as smaller landing vessels began to break off from larger troop transports to create landing areas for their larger tanks and artillery. The Fourth Legion immediately jumped to action when the first shells hit, and thankfully, had enough time to armor up and arm themselves to try and repel the landing Griffons. But as they encountered the landing Griffons, they noticed several differences in the Griffons’ equipment. Their weapons, the autogun, had always been joked that it was not strong enough to penetrate the guard’s current armor. But these new slimmer and sleeker autoguns (armaggeddon pattern) fired faster and appeared to have less kick to them. But what was alarming was that some were carrying longer and larger guns (heavy stubber) and were firing them in bursts to suppress any pony that tried to pop up out of cover. Not to mention that the Griffons did not wear their traditional plate armor, but rather what appeared to be nonmetallic armor that had been shaped like their old plate armor. Their magical spears were managing to injure the advancing Griffons but the use of suppressive fire and well-practiced squad movements simply outdid the Fourth Legion ponies.

The Fourth Legion fought the invading Griffons as best as they could, and at the center of the massive city; they managed to halt the rapid advance with the use of magical artillery and their golems that had been shaped into the form of two meter tall ponies that breathed elemental projectiles from their mouths. And when the Armored Golems were thrown into the battle, it seemed like the Griffons could be beaten as none of their firearms could scratch their armor.

That was when a metal giant emerged from the ruins of a small building of what used to be a grocery store. The Imperial Knight rammed into the side of an Armored Golem with enough force to send it falling on its side and brought up its metallic fist glowing with what appeared to be electrical energies surging from it. It’s other arm featured a six-barreled weapon that was glowing from being fired recently as it was spinning up slowly while being aimed in the direction of two normal golems. The weapon mounted on the side of its head fired a rapid stream of rounds to suppress the unicorn ‘guides’ that directed the golems in battle. Without their active guidance, the golems became ‘lethargic’ and became easier targets for those troops who had moved up wielding large weapons fitted with large drum magazines. As the fist slammed into the side of the armored golem, the enchanted armor of the golem seemed to buckle under strange forces until the metal and stone underneath were pulverized entirely. As the eldritch magical light within the armored golem faded away slowly, the metal giant stood fully up to its full height revealing a rather unique heraldry that consisted of an extended Griffon’s wing with the talons clutching a hammer in the middle. The machine seemed to glare at the defending Fourth Legion and turned its massive Avenger Gatling Cannon towards the defenders as well as the top-mounted missile pods being aimed at the hastily erected barriers of the ponies, it was at this point that the regular grunts of the ‘proud’ Equestrian Armed Forces realized that they were simply fucked.

Their top-of-the-line magical shields shattered in seconds against the deafening barrage of weapons fire from both the Knight Titan and the infantry that were advancing beside the Knight, and their magical artillery bounced off the Knight TItan as if they were hitting an non-magical shield that was barely visible to the naked eye when it was being hit with magical spells designed to collapse a small house. Many of the survivors that would be allowed to retreat from the battle would suffer from nightmares of that day. Massive rounds tearing ponies in half that appeared to ignore their armor, their own weapons doing absolutely nothing against the massive metal giant, and the ferocity of the advancing Griffons shocked them to realize that they should not underestimate their enemies.

As a veritable mob of ponies fled the city on hoof alongside the broken Fourth Legion, the Griffons halted their advance in the city as they had to completely secure the location for their airships to land and drop their heavy armor. They had taken a surprising amount of casualties, but it was nothing compared to the five hundred prisoners of war from surrendered Fourth Legion guards and over a thousand ponies that had failed to escape the city in time.

At this point, one could ask where the Second fleet was in all of this. Their slightly underground bunker that served as their docks had been attacked by two Knight TItans supported by nearly two hundred Griffons wearing pitch black armor compared to the normal light grey the standard troops wore. The Griffons did not even bother capturing prisoners or even letting the dock exist when they were done with it.

The ensuing explosion would level into a crater nearly five hundred meters deep and a kilometer wide, causing nearby buildings to collapse entirely.

It was the first of many battles, but the clear difference in military strength showed.

(<(<>)>)(<(<>)>)(<(<>)>)(<(<>)>)(<(<>)>)(<(<>)>)(<(<>)>)(<(<>)>)(<(<>)>)(<(<>)>)(<(<>)>)

Unlike Manehattan, Baltimare did not have a full Legion to deter the invading Army Group South. The only fleet the city had access to was an aging fleet consisting of the older blimp-like ships fitted with new magical cannons fitted to numerous ball-turrets. Their defenders, the Second Legion, however consisted of those guards that had been in the brief and failed ‘rescue’ of the Crystal City alongside those that had been in the Royal Guard until they had been formed into the ten Legions that now were located near every major city.

Or they were supposed to.

The five thousand strong Second Legion had split their legion into half so that a half would guard Baltimare while the other defended Fillydelphia. So when the Army Group South of the Griffon Imperium blasted past the watchtowers located at the coast with their rocket artillery and began to land troops, the Second Legion was utterly smashed to the side as the reemergence of the Knight Titans smashed aside their armored golems and the Griffon-made tanks making light work of any resistance offered by the Second Legion. The invading Griffons, however, was trying out a new tactic here.

Their tanks moved rapidly out of their landing zones to begin a rapid advance towards the city of FIllydelphia that was supported by four of six Knights deployed with Army Group South and over three fifths of their infantry. The remaining troops were considered enough to take over the relatively large town of Baltimare along with two Knights. They were to meet up with another detached force from Army Group Centre headed downwards to perform an encircling action against the city of FIllydelphia, who was slow to react and evacuate.

Unlike Manehattan, Baltimare and Fillydelphia were mainly towns that operated farms and lands geared towards the growth of grains. The only importance Fillydelphia possessed was their massive storehouses filled with various fruits, vegetables, and grains that were linked with rail lines that spanned the entirety of Equestira. And it housed the remaining Second Legion and were considered the test subjects to a new tactic that had been thought up by the two generals leading both the Army Group Centre and South.

And when the two groups of Griffon troops met up three days later, they had fully encircled the city of FIllydelphia and blocked off any form of escape.

(<(<>)>)(<(<>)>)(<(<>)>)(<(<>)>)(<(<>)>)(<(<>)>)(<(<>)>)(<(<>)>)(<(<>)>)(<(<>)>)(<(<>)>)

Four days later in Canterlot, one would have a hard time seeing that their entire west coast had been invaded entirely. In fact, no one knew how bad the invasion was due to the fact that the Griffons had not advanced yet.

And in turn, causing one of the greatest mistakes one could make in war. Assumption.

“Seeing as how the Griffons had not yet pushed forwards, I think it is safe to assume that they have been contained at their bridgeheads.” Prince Blueblood, in his expensive jacket, commented lightly as he motioned over to the magical map displaying Equestria.

“But we haven’t heard anything from both the Fourth and Second Legions.” Shining Armor sighed into his hooves as he tried to stave off the incoming migraine. “Until we have absolute proof that the Griffons had been stopped, the Fifth Legion will continue preparations for deployment.”

“I believe my daughter is an officer in the Fifth Legion and she has messaged me earlier today to be excused from training because she is feeling unwell.” Another unicorn noble spoke up, and Shining Armor audibly growled.

“She is an OFFICER of the Equestrian Guard. She has joined to serve Equestria in her defense. She will not be given leave because her mane is unkempt in the field.” Why was he even dealing with this bullshit.

“I believe the Fifth Legion can survive without one officer, Shining Armor.” Celestia’s calm, soothing voice grated on an irate Shining Armor’s nerves.

“She is in charge of supplies, princess.” Fancy Pants, in armor of the Equestrian Guard, spoke up from besides the Prince-Captain while examining several reports that had been passed out earlier. “If she was to go on leave so suddenly, the Fifth Legion loses the ability to properly maintain supplies for long campaigns.”

Exaggerated, but it was something Shining Armor would use. Thank the Sun for sane Nobles, however few they were.

“Hmmm… Very well.” Celestia looked sheepish at that and coughed into her hoof. “Until we can get rep-”

She was cut off by what sounded to be arguments going on outside the doors of the War Room. There was the sound of cursing, fighting, and eventually; the door was slammed open by two ponies missing their helmets, but wrapped with numerous bandages all around their bodies. They marched in, faces contorted in anger and fury, and simply looked around the table seemingly in disgust.

“So this is where all the shitty commands are coming from.” A pegasus with a bloody turquoise coat spoke as she looked on with her single light green eye. Her left wing was set with a rough splint while she walked in on with a missing left foreleg. The bandage was bloody, but it had seemingly been ‘healed’. “I told you these assholes would do nothing but talk!”

The other pony was a large earth pony with a deep autumn red coat with dreadful talon marks that seemingly only scratched the surface of her skin as both of her deep blue eyes scanned the room with disgust. He tossed a broken spear onto the table and growled as best as he could with the bandage around his neck causing him to wince every couple seconds.

“Yeah. A bullet hit his vocal cords.” The female pegasus said in a dismissive manner as she walked up to the table and sat down on the ground. “We all got fucked in Manehattan.”

“Impossible!” Blueblood exclaimed as he turned up his nose at the ‘rude’ pegasus. “The Griffons have not advanced from Manehattan, so they must still be held up in combat by the Fourth Legion!”

“Heh, you really think that?” The pegasus laughed darkly as she pointed her only hoof at the broken spear. “Look at it closely, asshole.”

“How dare you!” Blueblood shouted as he charged a spell in his horn, but was stopped by Shining Armor pulling the spear to him with his magic. It was then that he noticed the brass staff wrapped in a fabric that seemed very familiar.

“Your ‘undefeatable’ Armored Golems were nothing more than an afternoon breeze to those metal giants! Your weapons that you claimed to be able to penetrate their armor barely scratched it!” She tossed her ruined helmet which had been initially left near the door, onto the table. “Your armor was paper to their fire! The Fourth Legion, which we are part of, is left with barely a thousand strong now!”

While she had been ranting, Shining Armor had undid the knot crusted with dried blood and had fully unfurled the ruined banner of the Fourth Legion and placed it on the central table.

“We met up with barely three hundred survivors of the Second on our way here…” The pegasus’ voice was now low and outright drained of emotions. “They told us that they had been in Fillydelphia until the Griffons that invaded Manehattan and Baltimare had both used their tanks and superior firepower to encircle the town and proceeded to crush them and the city utterly.”

“...What?” Princess Celestia’s voice was low, but one could understand why she was shocked.

Unlike her knockout from the metal fist years ago, this was her little ponies that had suffered far worse. This was her little ponies screaming their anger and pain to her. This was her ponies that were suffering because she allowed so much leeway with the nobility. This was due to her ignorance of the changing times.

Princess Celestia realized why her own sister had left with so many ponies. It had been so simple, hadn't it…?

(<(<>)>)(<(<>)>)(<(<>)>)(<(<>)>)(<(<>)>)(<(<>)>)(<(<>)>)(<(<>)>)(<(<>)>)(<(<>)>)(<(<>)>)

“That was ridiculous.” Patina muttered as she watched orbital images at the command centre besides Myxine.

“This is simply the leader being negligent in their duties preparing for war.” Myxine sighed as she looked at several images that had been taken during the battle. “But I’m even more surprised at how quick the Griffons advanced since you toyed with their Knights in Crystal City.”

“Some form of shielding that isn’t purely magical, ceramite armor, and not to mention that they possess extreme ranged rocket artillery.” Patina sighed as she brought up the images of said equipment onto the various screens in the command centre. “Their advancement is absurd at this rate. It’s even more absurd than we are!”

“Patina, dear…” Myxine sighed as she looked at her fellow queen with a sense of tired victory.

“Oh. Err…” Patina bashfully rubbed the back of her head as she remembered that they were on the moon. Coughing into her hoof, Patina quickly reorganized her thoughts and looked seriously at the images once again. “We need to increase every production quota. We are going to need at least three fully equipped Overlords to even perform blocking actions against these feather-brained fools.”

“Three?” Myxine looked surprised at Patina’s declaration. That was nearly 45 mechs in each one! “Isn’t that truly overkill?”

“There is no better kill than overkill.” Patina said confidently as she was already planning her own moves to counter this aggressive move from the Griffon Imperium.

War was here and she was going to exploit it to hell and back.

Author's Note:

And the shit finally hit the fan.

Next chapter will be more character rich.

Refer to the original 'Operation Barbarossa' to see how it ends.