• Published 12th Oct 2014
  • 9,703 Views, 474 Comments

The March of the Giants - LindwurmProto



At a young age, a changeling queen is rescued by space-faring humans and learns to walk an entirely new path. Now watch as an Changeling carve a new future for her kind.

  • ...
31
 474
 9,703

Of Knowledge Shared (Rewritten)

"She won’t ever agree to anything I put out." Patina ground out loud as she sat in the warm pool of water within a large bath that was in one of the facilities built by Patina’s drones. Sitting across from her were Myxine, Ambrosia, and Calliphora; whom were all relaxing in the warm water. Ambrosia was snoozing at the edge with her head on a soft pillow, Myxine was using her magic to levitate a datapad and was reading reports compiled by Patina's hive, and Calliphora was merely washing her mane thoroughly with the warm water via letting her mane sink beneath the water.

"I understand your annoyance, but having her on our side is better than having the other." Myxine commented dryly as she placed the datapad on a distant shelf so the device didn't break in the water. "And considering she does have the numerical advantage, she would provide the perfect military while you could focus on developing more technologies that you want or need to develop."

"But I can-" Patina weakly started as Myxine gently placed her foreleg on the younger queen’s shoulder.

"And as I said earlier, one mind is not enough to start a technological revolution." Myxine tiredly said as she slid into the warm soothing water. "Just... show us what to do and let us help you."

Patina looked away as she used her free hoof to rub the location where her artificial leg used to be. Her limb was waterproof, but it was glitching twice a day; so she had removed it to undergo maintenance.

"But I can't just teach you." Patina muttered lowly as she sank deeper into the warm water. "I really can't."

"Why? Is it some kind of world ending secret?"

"No, not really."

"Worried that we're going to abandon you afterwards?"

"No, I know I am too valuable."

"Then why?!" Myxine hissed in annoyance as she jabbed an accusing hoof at Patina.

"I had been taught theories, principles, and numerous things since I was a hatchling." Patina sighed as she looked down into the water glumly. "It's just too complicated to just 'learn' within less time."

Myxine blinked owlishly and deflated as she sank back in the water in a drained manner. Calliphora merely shook her head with an amused grin that both queens could see to their utter dismay.

"Don't you have some kind of thingy to... I don't know, dump raw knowledge into our noggins?" Ambrosia yawned out loud as she woke up from her warm bath induced nap.

Ambrosia woke up quickly and backed up slightly as Patina rapidly approached with a bright grin. The stars in her eyes were bright and it appeared as if she had 'regained the spark of innovation'.

"It's so brilliant! Thank you, Ambrosia!" Patina jumped out of the water, balancing excellently on her three hooves, quickly dried herself outside of the bath, smoothed her mane and tail with a brush within seconds, and zoomed out of the building towards the large spheroid structure that was the center of the underground fortress. The three major queens blinked owlishly at the ridiculously quick departure before they all simply just burst into soft laughter.

"What are you planning to do now, Myxine?" Calliphora inquired of the coastal Changeling Queen as she brushed her mane with a provided brush using her magic.

"Depending on what Patina is planning now..." Myxine's face softened for a moment. "I have to say that the brat could do much better than Chrysalis could, despite her age."

"I’m going to stay here! The food Patty's drones make is so delicious!" Ambrosia squealed in delight as she drooled slightly upon remembering what they had been served. The other two nodded in silent agreement. Thanks to the artificial love being more liquid than crystal, she had been able to use it to make bread, noodles, candies (which were far more sweeter than their normal counterparts), and many more seeing as it could easily be substituted for water upon dilution. Her claims of utilizing the diluted love as the liquid substitute for growing various products had been validated. Not to mention that a single loaf of love-infused bread could have a Changeling drone live off it for three months if rationed. Add Patina's thick vegetable broth and numerous noodle dishes that tasted savory with a hint of sweetness from the infused love, to which their hives and they themselves fell in love with. "I want to eat another one of those ramen things again!"

"I am also considering staying, but I would like to convince Patina to come to a meeting with her technology and show them what we could become if united." Myxine raised an eyebrow at Calliphora’s suggestion.

"Chrysalis wouldn't allow it. That idiot likes her current position far too much to risk all other Queens to join Patina’s cause. Even with our support, we wouldn't..." Myxine paused as she noticed Calliphora pointing outside at the two ‘lances’ of the battlemechs. "Calliphora, ponies won't like seeing ten to twelve meter tall metal giants stomping around in their country."

"That's not what I meant. We bring them here." Calliphora smirked as she placed a brush back onto its holder. "We bring them here and show what Patina is capable of. And if you think it's a risk by revealing it within a meeting, we'll bring one hive at a time."

"That sounds much better for the current situation. One of us can go out with a few examples of what Patina makes and reveal that three major hives are actively supporting her. Then we could bring their entire hives here and could assist us with this location’s construction..." Myxine smiled as she rubbed her fore hooves together. "And when we've made sure we have their loyalty and combined numbers with Patina's weapons, not even those pansy Princesses of the ponies would be a match."

"Then it's decided. We'll inform Patina when we meet her." Myxine and Calliphora nodded in agreement, but Ambrosia was far too busy tending to her looks and noticed that it was silent.

"Did something happen?" The sound of Myxine's hoof meeting her face was audible even from a sealed room in which Patina was working in.

---

Myxine looked suspiciously at the massive array of screens and wires that had four helmets with wires ranging from large to small connected to it. Ambrosia, on the other hoof, was strangely focused intensely at Patina's explanation of the machine.

"This could either be our solution or it would just make us brain dead from information overload. But the risks outweigh the faults. By using neurohelmets’ ability to synchronize with the mind as a basis, It would theoretically allow me to sync our minds to 'pass' my understanding and knowledge of the technology I have developed or hope to develop to you. And what could be weeks in our minds would be seconds or minutes as our minds 'move' faster than our bodies. And I personally can't wait to try it out."

"Brain dead?" Myxine deadpanned as she jabbed a hoof into Patina's chest. "You want to risk us going brain dead to share your knowledge?! I refu-" Myxine blinked as she suddenly found herself tied into a chair bolted down to the ground with the helmet above her head. "What in the- CALLIPHORA! RELEASE ME!"

Said queen merely whistled a random tune as she placed another helmet on her head and smiled demurely at the tied down queen. Myxine also noticed that her hive were being tied down by both Ambrosia's and Calliphora's. Just as she was about to screech, a golden honey colored goo suddenly wrapped around her muzzle, silencing her. She glared bloody murder at Ambrosia and then at Calliphora.

"Miss Myxine, I was actually joking about the brain dead thing. That could only happen if someone purposefully attacks us while using this machine." Patina comforted the older queen with a smile to which Myxine began to struggle more when she noticed the slight madness behind her eyes. "Let's begin!"

As Patina placed her own helm on her head, one of her drones pressed several buttons and the massive behind them lit up with a golden glow. Immediately, Myxine's struggles ceased rapidly alongside hesitant looks shared by the drones. Seeing as they were connected to their queens via the 'hive mind', they would also partially receive the knowledge that Patina shared in a less invasive method. And for a brief moment, the golden glow switched to a bright green color before changing back into its golden hue without being noticed by the worried drones of all four hives.

+++

"P-Patty..." Ambrosia sobbed as she hugged the smaller queen intensely, making said queen quite uncomfortable. The transfer was more or less successful, but it had transferred more than Patina’s intricate knowledge. "That's so sad..."

"I got over it a long time ago, Miss Ambrosia. Please don't treat me like a invalid, I'm anything but." Patina struggled to escape Ambrosia's grasp while Myxine looked at the massive cave ceiling seemingly in silent thought.

"Aliens from outer space..." Calliphora, sitting on a comfortable cushion around a picnic table in a grassy part of the base, asked Patina with a far away look in her eyes. "While being so convenient and troubling, is how we are going to survive?"

"Sadly, that is the basis for my technology and the LGE" Patina groaned as she gave up trying to escape Ambrosia's hold. "The benefit of ridiculously advanced technology was just a bonus."

"But you did something that made your LGE's primary core? The fusion of magic and machines?" Calliphora looked at the massive spheroid ship that sat a distance away.

"Indeed. While the machine requires pure love as a starting ingredient for the magical components, all I had to do was to figure out how to make the mechanical part produce it as accurately as possible by utilizing the man-machine interface that the humans used on a day-to-day basis. That took a better part of two year to make, and the best produced was in liquid form. And seeing as I've been feeding my own hive with the artificial love-grown produce and foods, we have had no abnormal rejections and have been great for my hive." Patina hummed as she looked over where some of their drones were working together on various projects.

A drone, newborn or not, accessed the hive mind for information on how to survive. Only a Queen's private memories are inaccessible, but general knowledge of something could be shared. And that meant that while they were not all brilliant scientists, they had bits and pieces to go off of to develop new things by giving a new view of an existing theory.

"We would require nearly every hive on this planet to complete this base within a decade." Myxine said in a low voice as she looked at Patina. "Mind you, that is if the ponies and griffons don’t bother us at all."

"Not really." Patina moved forward with Ambrosia still holding tightly onto her barrel. "In order to reduce the number of workers, I'm trying to develop a fabrication unit that would turn existing mass or energy into a form we want with everything already built. So theoretically, I could finish the base in half that time if I finish this project." Patina sighed briefly before rubbing her forehead gingerly. "The only issue is the-"

"Necessary power. To have a machine pull that off, you're going to need ridiculous amounts of energy that you just don't have right now." Myxine finished and looked at the incomplete generator housing that was being built in the distance. "But that was without the needed workers and materials. You have our support now, Patina."

Both Calliphora and Ambrosia nodded in agreement and Patina could only nod in happiness. Perhaps, there was a chance that the Changelings could be united under a common cause.

Author's Note:

Updated.

Slightly more unsure of how artificial love is created, but i'll expand on that later.

Going to keep updating!