• Published 12th Oct 2014
  • 9,703 Views, 474 Comments

The March of the Giants - LindwurmProto



At a young age, a changeling queen is rescued by space-faring humans and learns to walk an entirely new path. Now watch as an Changeling carve a new future for her kind.

  • ...
31
 474
 9,703

The Road South (Rewritten)

"Damn it!" Miasma screeched as she looked at her injured and scattered drones struggling to get back on their hooves as something far too sweet smelling was hindering her hive's soldiers that had resulted from a tripwired gas bomb. "I almost had her too!"

This was the aftermath of Miasma descending on what was assumed to be Patina's most recent hideout. Of course, all five major hives moved secretly to all those that lived around them and not to alert that they were moving large amounts of drones to capture one Patina Gear. But of course...

"HALT!"

"ARGH!" Miasma screamed angrily as her horn glowed a dark pinkish glow and promptly faded out of view along with her drones.

It was impossible to completely blind the eyes of the Pony Princesses to their ‘discreet’ movements. And every major hive moving was enough to make the Equestrian Guard that 'protected' Equestria to act. As the guards broke through the metal bulkhead that had trapped/protected Miasma long enough for her to use the rather convenient air ducts to escape. As the Royal Guards thundered into the room with their golden armor and spears, swords, and their unicorn horns aglow with magic, they found an abandoned stone-like bunker with absolutely nothing in it. As their commander cursed their luck, from nearly a kilometer away, three queens sat with their looks rather 'fuzzed' up. Ambrosia's normally smooth mane and tail were all 'scrambled' as if intense static electricity had passed through her, Myxine's own coat smelled suspiciously like vinegar, and Calliphora seemed to have pieces of strange grey colored material stuck in her mane and tail, which was nearly impossible to take off without cutting off her mane and tail. They all shared an annoyed look as they watched Miasma retreat to her temporary camp north of this 'hideout'.

"So... Friends for now?" Ambrosia stuttered/coughed slightly as comical blue arcs of electricity arced through her ruined mane.

"That..." Myxine sniffed her foreleg briefly before gagging. "would be nice..."

"This is the most simple trap I had ever seen though..." Calliphora mused as one of her drones held a pair of shears with its magic cutting off the ruined mane and tail as carefully as possible. "I think we are getting closer and closer to her."

Myxine nodded until two of her drones dumped a large bucket of water over her. She didn't bother reprimanding them as she relished the smell of vinegar being washed off. Ambrosia merely patted her mane and tail down best she could with her magic.

A flash of light erupted from the bunker then a loud sound of explosion forced the Changelings to flinch.

The hideout had detonated spectacularly, most likely killing all two dozen Guard ponies that had been chasing Miasma’s hive. If there was one thing common every hideout of Patina they found was that they, the Changelings, were assaulted by what could be called practical jokes; while when ponies entered, the base would explode once they reached the end of the hideout just as soon as the Changelings escaped using conveniently placed exits that only they could use..

All five major hives had done their best to track Patina after the ruined meeting down past Equestria's borders and down south, going straight past Ambrosia's former 'stomping' grounds, and into chaotic territory. A territory that no sentient creature claimed as their territory due to being 'wild' and 'uncontrollable'. But to Patina's hive, they appeared to be at home in such ‘wild’ territories.

That was an entire year ago.

Every time a former hideout was found, it was empty and had signs of being used, but always they were behind by days or at times, hours. And every hideout they found, a shards of knowledge in the form of documents, blueprints, and prototypes of various machines that the Queens were trying to figure out how they worked internally. The documents delved into strange technology that were far beyond their current abilities, the blueprints showed devices that seemed to be the stuff of science fiction stories, and the prototypes merely proved how ‘impossible’ the blueprints were at times. And if not for those prototypes of some of the blueprints they had seen, they would have disregarded Patina for a crazy nutjob with valuable technologies.

"She's most likely gone farther south seeing as she left another locational hint in the code within the documents.” And it was written in that strange language of hers that they barely managed to learn to read. Well, they had begun to read it after the three queens had 'joined' forces and began to share information amongst each other. Ambrosia had found the language book, Myxine had found the digital map within the lightweight tablet and Calliphora somehow always found the next coordinates. Miasma had preferred to always work alone and had even admonished them for working together. But every time, Miasma retreated the most humiliated. Chrysalis on the other hand had abandoned the search for a 'surprise' she had for the ponies that would be enacted soon.

"These next coordinates go rather far south." Calliphora commented dryly as she studied the paper the next coordinates were on. "I daresay this is the last location she can hide in."

Myxine took out a device made of flat hard plastic that appeared to be a frame until it activated to her magical signature. The central rectangular screen lit up with their location as a red dot and the area in a rather detailed topographical map.

"Let's see... 1...7..., 3... 1..., 5 South" Ambrosia read off the coordinates that Calliphora handed over to the younger Queen with the decoder document. "71, 45, 55 West. How's that for a change! No more of those papers to help!" Ambrosia boasted as she sat a bit taller.

"Brilliant. Now... What in the-" Myxine's eyes widened briefly before groaning.

"What's wrong, Myx? Is her hideout on top of a mountain?" Ambrosia asked as she looked at where the device had shown where Patina was next. "Or it could be in the middle of a massive river. How did she do that?"

"No, wait." Calliphora said as she quickly made her way to the cart that specifically carried documents on some alien fictional material that she had found interesting. "A base in the middle of a large river..." All that the two Queens could do was to watch Calliphora look through numerous gathered documents. The sun was already setting and their respective hives were already setting up a small camp to sleep the night knowing the next day would be more marching. At least Patina left large stores of her diluted artificial love at each camp to feed them for a while alongside canned fruits soaked in the diluted love.

As the three queens sat in the cart filled with the books with a makeshift tent over them, looking through them for any clues to the location of Patina's hideout. Ambrosia, like the young queen she was, was sleeping with a open book over her head and lightly snored as her hind leg twitched every so often as she was curled at one corner while the other two were looking through the books with enough focus to burn said books with their eyes.

"Do you still think this is all worth it?" Myxine softly spoke as she read the document slowly. "No matter how I look at it, this could all be just for a wild goose chase."

Calliphora merely smiled as she read her own book with her own pair of pink- frame glasses. 'It makes me look brilliant' she had said to Myxine when she had taken the glasses out for the first time. "Oh yes. She's more than she seems, you know. And you've seen her blueprints enough to determine what she is going for, don't you?" Myxine's ears flattened against her head as she sighed deeply as if all her fatigue caught up with her.

"Patina Gear... She better be worth all of this effort." Myxine's blue eyes narrowed as her speech suddenly gained venom. "If this is a wild goose chase, I'm going to smash her head open with a rock."

"Jaburo..." Calliphora said out loud as she began to intensely read something.

"What? Jabu-what?" Myxine looked up tiredly from the document she was levitating in front of her and looked at Calliphora.

"Here, read it. It matches the location, coordinates, and if Patina built it like it reads there..." Calliphora giggled tiredly before she released a yawn. "I... think I'll sleep before we discuss any further..." And as if the strings to a puppet were cut, Calliphora snoozed off rather quickly while Myxine continued to read the specific document handed to her.

"If that minor did create such a location, then we would be detected long before even reaching this place." Myxine dreaded whatever surprise Patina had in store for her and her fellow queens. She knew that to capture a fortress defended by an heavily entrenched force was nearly impossible to bypass with a simple frontal assault. Sadly, no blueprints, plans, or even documents existed on this underground 'mega-city' that Patina supposedly was building; so Myxine knew they would have to do this on the fly.

Myxine looked at the other two queens and smiled. She had never seen eye to eye with other Queens, but now? It felt rather good working together. Not only did working together make them slightly more efficient, it also gave them a wider array of options of act from. Each hive had their specialties and by combining their specialities, they had succeeded in 'capturing' every hideout with ease instead of struggling through them much like Miasma. As she lowered the document in the favor of sleep, Myxine wondered how Miasma was doing.

---

"WHY IS THERE A SWAMP HERE! IS THAT A HYDRA? RUN!!!"

---

Myxine shrugged. That arrogant prick was probably doing just fine.

Author's Note:

Another rewritten chapter up.

I'll probably do two more by today.

And just so you know, my info for the battletech universe will come from www.sarna.net and some technical books; while the Griffons will be inspired from the Astra Militarum mixed with the Imperial Navy.