• Published 12th Oct 2014
  • 9,703 Views, 474 Comments

The March of the Giants - LindwurmProto



At a young age, a changeling queen is rescued by space-faring humans and learns to walk an entirely new path. Now watch as an Changeling carve a new future for her kind.

  • ...
31
 474
 9,703

Interlude (Rewritten)

A massive series of satellite dishes were built above ground began to power up just as Patina adjusted various monitors that displayed numerous layouts and a rather blank screen on the largest console. Pressing a button, the device began to make adjustments to its position while she enjoyed the early morning sky with the sun rising in the horizon.

As the dishes completed their movement, Patina grabbed a lever with her hooves and pulled down. Within moments, she could hear the satisfying hum of additional energy powering the powerful sensor array that she had been working on ever since the Love Generating Engine was past its 77% threshold. Immediately, the large screen in the center of the exposed screen exploded to life as various hardware and software started up for the first time. Three drones that had been waiting for the activation quickly jumped to man several of the consoles that displayed numerous data monitoring both ground, air, and space. With a satisfying 'blip', the large screen showed the ground on the bottom of the screen and various objects that existed directly above the massive underground base, all the way past the atmosphere of their planet.

"Nothing far too indicative on sensors " One of the drones reported as he utilized hoof-friendly touch screens to scan the void of space as best as their sensors could. “Kommandant-General, we have a residual presence of Kearny-Fuchida Drive in… Sector Delta-Fifteen.”

Patina wordlessly brought her attention to the drone’s console and narrowed her eyes at the display. Whenever an JumpShip utilized its Faster-Than Light K-F Drives, they left residual presence of energy in its place that lasted for a week or two before dissipating entirely. But to have such strong residual presence, that meant that there had been a JumpShip in orbit a couple of days ago. But the sheer amount of particles made it appear as if there were at least two to three JumpShips in orbit at one point.

“I guess I’m going to have to push that line of battlemechs through faster than planned.” If there was one thing she wanted to avoid were humans coming to the ‘rescue’ as it were to the ponies. Or the Griffons. This was going to require an… escalation of force.

{} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {}

Princess Luna of the Night looked depressed at the work the 'experts' that Celestia had hired was doing. They had barely figured out how the Griffon autoguns, stolen secretly, worked and had injured themselves on more than one occasion from what she considered sheer arrogance.

Even she could tell what was what that made the weapons fire from the moment she fully 'scanned' the weapon! Constantly saying that 'magic' was better alongside throwing 'tantrums' when the weapons didn't work the way they 'thought'. Why were some of these brown-nosing ‘nobles’ even considered experts of the field of weapon development?

For her sanity and for her guards, she had fired the most recent 'experts' again and had refused Celestia's support along with her Solar Guard as even they had declared their magic far more superior against such ‘primitive’ weapons.

"Anything?" Luna asked the Night Guard Captain, Midnight Dusk, as said bat pony mare expertly pieced the autogun together with her bat-like wings, hooves, and her mouth. The mare possessed a dark blue coat, short yet curvy mane and tail colored a shade of light sea green, and a pair of light blue eyes gleaming in the dimly lit war room. Her cutie mark was that of a crescent moon with a black cloud behind the moon and she was also relatively taller than other ponies, being only inches shorter than her Princess.

"Construction of similar weapons for our own military would be simple, but the production of the smokeless powder would be much more difficult seeing as one of the ingredients is rather dangerous to produce with magic" Pushing over a set of documents, Midnight pointed at the three barrels of the powder they had managed to save from the unicorns trying to see if they exploded when magic was applied. (To which they found out rapidly that it did) "If many of those reports are true, most of the companies that can produce it would have to not use magic as it explodes when in contact with magic."

"Ugh." Luna slammed her head on the hardwood table several times lamenting her sister's era of peace. She had hoped that Equestria would be much more advanced, much more aggressive in other aspects; but without any large scale antagonizing forces, the country she and Celestia had created had stagnated. Griffons had airships of varying sizes, a relatively advanced technological base that did not rely on a drop of magic, and even had colonies in the Zebra-owned lands. Last she heard, the most recent Zebra rebellion had been put down within hours of engaging the Griffon military.

And now the mysterious and unexpected jump in Changelings’ own technology. Two of Equestria's airships had been sunk with little effort and the third was damaged enough to be hauled into dry dock to have most, if not all important components to be replaced and repaired. What really had her attention was the sheer amount of power behind the weapons that the Changelings possessed. What they considered top of the line magic shielding was torn apart in seconds and their weapons were almost jokingly out-ranged by the Changeling’s own weaponry.

"Princess... With what we have and from what we have observed, we won't be able to catch up with either the Griffons or whatever the Changelings possess without taking short-cuts." Midnight Dusk commented as she placed the unloaded rifle on the floor and walked to where the maps were. "The Griffons would never give us their best, seeing as they enjoy having something to have something over us; but the Changelings..."

"Do you truly believe they would negotiate with a species that have caused them many wrongs?" Luna, deep within her own guts, hoped that they were open to negotiations. "They fired on our airships rather quickly..."

"Perhaps it was due to them being warships? What I am recommending is a secret deal of sorts..." Luna's ears perked along with her own mind.

"Go on... Explain this 'deal' of yours." As her Captain explained what was most likely the best way to catch up technologically, Luna simply hoped that the Changelings were willing to negotiate.

{} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {}

Magica looked at the sky with her eyes as she smiled at the chilly winds if the night caressed her gently. Testing various spells that her hive managed to learn over the years, she and Patina had determined that giving missiles an elemental effect would be efficient in altering the battlefield with ease, but to have the best effect; they would have to be mounted on the larger and slower Thunderbolt missiles or the Arrow IV missile artillery to change the battlefield conditions on the fly. That and finding out that the PPC had little effect on Changeling magic was strange.

While the ionizing particle cannon had the effect of causing Equestrian magic to go berserk, Changeling magic was only mildly affected as their magic seemed to be ‘wired‘ differently than what a unicorn would use. In fact, a PPC blast would only decrease the effect of Changeling magic by one factor rather than to destabilize everything. It was an interesting and great discovery as it would give them an edge in case anyone else used it against Changeling magic in the hopes of destabilizing it.

All in all, it would make Discord's reign and brief return look like a sideshow. Chaos would truly reign as nothing could be controlled by the ponies anymore. And while the development of the ‘pulse missiles’ would give them an even more absurd jump in power, Magica knew the ponies would react negatively to such a weapon.

Hearing a snort next to her, Magica turned her head to look at a snoozing Patina holding onto a datapad between her hooves. Patina's adjutant, one of her 'firstborn' as she called them, merely giggled as she gently levitated a blanket over her mother. It was also an unique experience on how Patina treated her drones. Perhaps it was due to her being raised by these... humans, but it had caused a large change in how the hives functioned now. Drones were now encouraged to call their queens 'mother' in private while calling them their appropriate rank in public.

Another interesting fact. Every queen, after the brief transfer of information with Patina, had found that they were each good at something. Myxine had become a great scientist, Ambrosia had strangely become quite efficient in managing information and had become the premiere Information specialist, Calliphora had become a rather respectable leader while being less quirky, and Gemini had, unsurprisingly, become in charge of the infantry of the Commonwealth. Patina's drones and herself acted efficiently as administrative advisors and engineers. In fact, each queen had an assistant from Patina's hive which made many things run much more smoothly and they also caused no trouble between the hives as they were incredibly polite and provided the best advice according to the situation. She, on the other hoof, had become quite attached to engineering like how Patina was, but on the front of magical integration and enchantments. In fact, seeing as she had the most magically attuned drones that could use magic on a wider scale easier than other hives allowed her to be promoted. So it was the best of situations seeing as half of Patina's drones were acting as adjutants for the other queens, some serving as battlemech instructors, and the remaining working in the engineering department had quite literally strained Patina's hive to the limit. So it had been up to her and her hive to fill the engineering department with efficient and diligent engineers.

But she truly wondered what made Patina so... unique. If you removed the technology from Patina, she would be like any other queen that existed; but what made her so unique? It was one puzzle she was willing to solve. Under all that knowledge, skills, and mind; Magica wondered what kind of gem she would find underneath it all.

{} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {}

“So even ComStar has secrets so strange.” A smooth deep voice spoke in the darkened conference room inside of a 725 meter long WarShip, an Aegis Class Heavy Cruiser, as he took a sip from a glass of clear brown liquid. “To see aliens, clearly inspired by the Lyran Commonwealth, utilize our brand of technology.”

“They were certainly far more capable than some mercenary bands, but I doubt they would be able to do anything against us if we attacked them.” An elegant voice simply oozing with arrogance commented as she sat in a chair behind the larger man.

“Isn’t that how we thought before we were defeated in Tukayyid?” The man said with mirth in his tone before turning to address the woman. “We might be of superior blood, but remember that ComStar had left these ‘Changelings’ with weapons that can rival our own. If they learn to fight like the freebirth of the Inner Sphere, then we can expect new tactics and strategies that we might not have even imagined”

The woman merely shrugged before looking out into the void of space outside. “If you must know, I did manage to get a glimpse of their databases enough to see what they are going to build next as their ‘line’ units.”

“Oh? Will they be using standard Lyran doctrines?” The woman shook her head at that comment.

“Sadly, if it were so.” The woman brought up several images and vids onto the inbuilt screen showing what appeared to be a wide variety of battlemechs, tanks, infantry, and AeroSpace Fighters that were far too familiar as the man narrowed his eyes and sighed audibly.

“Then we must prevent pirate bands and mercenaries from coming near this star cluster, or they would declare that there are still surviving blakists.”

Author's Note:

A jar of cookies if someone can figure out which exact faction the humans are in the end.

LET THE REWRITES CONTINUE!

So... READ AND REVIEW!!!