• Published 12th Oct 2014
  • 9,703 Views, 474 Comments

The March of the Giants - LindwurmProto



At a young age, a changeling queen is rescued by space-faring humans and learns to walk an entirely new path. Now watch as an Changeling carve a new future for her kind.

  • ...
31
 474
 9,703

The Prelude to a New Era (Rewriten)

"I really didn't know the PPC could be used like that..." Patina admitted as she watched the PPC pulse outwards in a sphere to destabilize stolen Equestrian magical equipment to the point where it didn’t explode, but merely failed its function entirely.

"I only got the inspiration from the assault months ago” Myxine nodded sagely as she motioned over to the modified PPC. “While a direct shot would ‘kill’ Equestrian magic, a spherical pulse like that would only cause the magic to fail.” As the weapon itself was folded back into its cannon form, as the ‘pulse mode’ had extended the various components that ionized the air outwards, Patina noticed and realized to her horror what was going on.

"That's not a prototype is it." Patina deadpanned as Myxine coughed into her left hoof with a slight blush on her face.

"No, not really." While a normal PPC was already hard to modify, but modifications of this level would require magical components and a ridiculous amount of testing that would get it to this level of effectiveness. “I did have to use quite the amount of our modified magic crystals and at least… a dozen… PPC…” Patina yanked over a data pad held by one of the drones (one of Magica’s, she noticed) and her eyes narrowed for a moment before mumbling something under her breath.

"Er, what? I thought I just heard you say something?" Myxine's ears were flattened against her head at hoping what she had just barely heard was not true. Myxine opened her mouth to say something, but Patina's angry ranting was something one could not stop easily.

"HOW DID YOU RUIN A DOZEN PPC’S JUST IN TESTING?! ALL THOSE EXPLOSIONS WE HEARD WERE FROM YOU, WASN'T IT?!"

Magica, who was about to enter the testing warehouse to discuss magical integration with Patina, stood frozen by the door with her wide eyes as various other rather vulgar words were spoken loudly as the door slammed open. Patina, who was about to storm out, barely noticed Magica and brought herself back down to the ground from anger-based high and the pleasant smile Patina put on didn't seem to go too well with her violently twitching eyes.

"Ah, Magica! Just the queen I was looking for!" Patina swung her artificial foreleg over the smaller queen's back and began to urge her away from the slightly smoking warehouse. "I believe we were going to discuss magic?" Magica could only nod dumbly at the question and followed after the older queen. "Then let's go to a more private location then, hmm?"

As Patina dragged Magica away, Myxine could be seen exiting the hangar with various drones from different hives covered in soot.

"Who knew wood burned so well?" A drone idly commented as she fainted from shock.

Coughing out a puff of black smoke from her mouth, Myxine could barely hide her smile under her soot covered body. She did say that she was going to work on bettering the Changeling military and she did deliver. Oh, Patina might be angry about the sheer waste of resources, but hey... At least she recycled her failures..

{} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {}

Chrysalis couldn't believe her luck as she finally secured a massive weapons depot from the accursed Griffons. Oh, it had taken her the better part of three months to infiltrate and lull the garrison into lowering their guard enough for her and her 'Empire' of various other Changeling Queens that had sworn loyalty to her after that... Calliphora seized nearly sixty percent of the hives.

Damn whores.

As she saw the Griffon corpses being hauled off to be burned in a pile outside of the garrison, she levitated the new griffon rifles and admired the handiwork. While Equestria relied mostly on magic to arm themselves, the Griffons had developed their weapons with the rather heavy, but powerful autoguns. That included various cannons that were stored along with their two-part ammunition. Alongside were other queens watching in delight as the crates of weapons were being loaded onto four hijacked Endurance-Class Light Cruiser class airships that appeared to be covered in more metal than the wood that made up their inside. Some of the drones were also repainting the 'Royal Griffon' flag off the sides and painting Chrysalis' personal design of a unique shape with bug-like wings going out the sides.

"Our spies have located the traitors in the south, My Queen." A drone wearing a Griffon’s padding under their metal armor reported as he levitated a scroll to Chrysalis while bowing. They couldn’t exactly use the Griffon’s metal armor as their were far too large and heavy. "A group of ponies had attempted to attack them months ago, but..."

"But?" Chrysalis had already begun to read the scroll with narrowed eyes.

"Out of hundred fifty Guards that were dispatched, only fifty returned with one of three of their airships made it back to their Canterlot Port." Chrysalis merely tore the scroll with her magic and grinned maliciously.

"It doesn't matter whether a hundred of them died fighting. Many of those traitors would have perished alongside them in combat." She faced her 'officers' and shouted out loud. "No one betrays me and gets away with it! Follow your Queen of All Queens and let's crush those incompetent fools for their crimes!"

The jubilant cheers excited Chrysalis and merely added fuel to her ego and to her leadership. Those fools were weakened by the ponies, so she was surely ensured an easy victory.

And victory over the traitors would be sweet!

{} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {}

Miasma yawned as she lazed about in her own hive currently under Manehatten chewing on what had used to be an half-eaten apple thrown down into the sewers. To her and her hive, it was a normal day. Other queens who had not declared a side had also simply declared neutrality and decided to go on with their lives until a victor could be decided amongst Calliphora's Umbra Commonwealth and Chrysalis' 'Empire'. Oh, she knew for sure that from what she had seen in Patina's hideouts in the south were of any indication, the Commonwealth was going to wipe the floor with Chrysalis' corpse along with all those that followed her.

As she saw a drone levitating a small crate of artificial love bought from the Commonwealth, she halted the drone and cleared her throat with a nervous air about her. She had merely heard about how Patina treated her drones and it made her curious.

"I just have to request something from you, darling..." The drone swallowed its dry throat as Miasma stared into its eyes. "C-can you call me... Mother?"

The drone couldn't do much but to blink at how its queen was acting. The stuttering was incredibly new for its headstrong queen and not to mention that she sounded far too serious for it to be a mere joke. So coming to a proper conclusion, the drone reacted accordingly.

"Who are you and what have you done with our queen!"

The following squeals of pain easily provided proof that she was indeed Miasma.

{} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {}

The entire military council chamber of Equestria sat within a grand circular room filled with maps, charts, and various other objects that signified the council's importance. But due to the sheer amount of time not being used, the room was filled with dust, cobwebs, and other clutter that had piled from being used as a storeroom until now.

"Outdated. Outdated. Outdated..." Princess Luna muttered as she looked through the various objects that hung on the walls with disdain clearly etched onto her muzzle.

"Well, the war room has not been used since..." A Night Guard lifted a chart with her leathery wings and coughed in the most faked manner possible. "Since five hundred years ago. It has been turned into a storeroom since then..."

Luna grumbled audibly as she cast a spell to literally remove the dust from all surfaces, removed all aged documents to be sorted by the librarians, and ultimately preparing the room to be used as a proper war room. The next few hours were spent putting up modern maps, gathering all reports on the Changeling movement and what they knew about the race of shapeshifters.

"Is this all? Some of these are twenty years old!" Luna was seriously doubting the peace that her sister had maintained through diplomacy. Well, it was nice to have peace, but to cut the military budget to this point where all she could do was buy several dozen unenchanted armor and an equal amount of low quality spears. The safety of 'her little ponies' seemed far too focused on individual threats that appeared occasionally to be 'defeated' by Celestia's student and her five friends that were the Elements of Harmony. And against these larger threats, Equestria was supposed to have her legions! But that legendary army that had struck fear into the hearts of every species in Equis in the past was reduced to nothing more than a couple hundred improperly trained guards that only utilized basic combat spells, some combat training, and more used as a parading military than a practical one. But that was something that could be fixed by creating new policies and training, followed by a budget increase.

What really upset her was the sheer technological gap developing between the ponies and the Griffons. And if the loss of two airships was not by magic when they had been sent against the Changelings that moved to the South, she could easily deduce that the Changelings also developed their own avenue of technology that nearly outpaced their own by decades if not...

"Have we yet to acquire any of the Griffon's weaponry?" And to Luna's absolute dismay, the Captain of the Night Guard shook her head.

"WHY ME?"

{} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {} {}

With the sheer amount of work on Calliphora's desk, she wished she could just have her drones work on them instead.

That was a thought...

But at least every folder was color coated for different issues. Green for agriculture, pink for any 'love' related issues, blue for security issues, and much more. But what caught her attention was the single thin black folder that was on the bottom of a rather large stack of folders. Pulling the folder out with her magic, she immediately breathed in deep and read the single sheet report within the black folder.

There was a war brewing in the future, and she would make sure that they would be ready.

Author's Note:

New day, new rewrites!

LET'S GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!