• Published 9th Oct 2014
  • 12,780 Views, 460 Comments

Permanent Vacation - Apple_Crack



I didn't ask for this, any of this. But now that I'm here, might as well make the most of it. But, why am I here? What purpose does my presence here serve to Equestria?

  • ...
54
 460
 12,780

PreviousChapters Next
This Calls For A Party!

“Permanent Vacation”

This Calls For A Party!

I sit up and yawn. That was the best sleep I had in a long time. I crack my neck and back as I look at the clock which reads eight. I get up out of bed and go through my daily routine. After I finished my routine, I changed into a black Woodstock themed peace symbol t-shirt and a pair of tan cargo shorts before going to the kitchen. As I poured myself a bowl of Applejacks (Irony!), I thought about how to get the town to accept me more. I throw a bunch of thoughts around in my head until settling on a single plan. I need to show the town that I’m a fun guy to be around and not another threat waiting to devour their souls or something. Throwing the bowl in the sink and putting on some shoes, I left and immediately went straight to Twilight’s. My plan would probably work better if Twilight started Phase One.


It took some convincing on my part for Twilight to trust me and go along with my plan. I had to explain to her that I needed everybody in town gathered at city hall so that I could show them I’m not a bad guy and they have no reason to fear me. It would probably make it easier if she was with when I talked with the mayor anyway, what with the fact that everypony already fears me. Whenever she pried me for more info on the plan, I diverted her questions. She eventually relented and agreed to help me. And so we walked to city hall.

As we enter, I thought to myself that it looks exactly how I pictured it. The walls are painted a dark brown with a grey molding along the floor. Potted plants dot the room along with a few tables and chairs. A newspaper sat at each table, along with multiple magazines. Hanging on the walls are pictures of previous mayors and artwork of Ponyville. Little speakers mounted in the corners of the room play music that reminds me of waiting in an elevator.

Sitting behind a curved desk is a brown earth pony with a black mane who is sorting through piles of scrolls. She even looks the part of a secretary with her grey formal suit.

Turns out being the Princess’s prized student pays off for Twilight. The receptionist didn’t even try to stop us. She only glances at us as we walk in on the Mayor, Ivory Scroll, in her navy blue formal suit, approving bills.

“Good morning, Mayor!” Twilight says as Ivory glances up. She smiles at her before her eye’s travel in my direction. Unlike most ponies, she seems unfazed by me.

“Good morning to you too as well, Miss Sparkle. What brings you two to my office?”

I step forward. “Hello, my name is Blake. I must ask before we go any further, why haven’t you freaked out like most ponies? Not that I’m complaining…”

“Princess Celestia sent word that you would be living here and that you were to be treated like any other pony. While I may not be thrilled by this, I still have a duty to respect the wishes of the Princess. Oh, and before I forget,” She reaches under her desk and tosses a small pouch to me, “she also said that you would be receiving this every two weeks, much like Miss Sparkle here.”

I open up the pouch and can’t believe what I see. The pouch is filled with small yellow coins. I assume that these are bits. There must be like three-hundred bits in here! Still gotta play dumb about this stuff though. “What exactly are these?”

“Those are bits, the currency here in Equestria.”

“Okay, but why am I receiving these?”

“The Princess felt that with your sudden change of surroundings, a job wouldn’t be the best thing for you right now.”

“Alright! As the saying goes, never look a gift horse in the mouth!” I pocket the pouch and jump back to the reason we’re here before they can question my turn of phrase. “Anyway, I would like to ask you to gather all the ponies in Ponyville so I can have a proper introduction and alleviate some of their fears. After all, you of all ponies should know on the importance of public image,” Time to sweeten the deal, “And just think how this will go down in history. You, Mayor Ivory Scroll, being the first pony to officially welcome a foreign being to Ponyville. You’ll be praised throughout the town for averting a potential crisis.”

“Yes, that would improve my chances of being reelected. Very well then, I’ll send word around town that I’ll have an important announcement within the hour. Quick Scroll!”

“Yes, Mayor?” A high yet professional sounding voice in the other room said, which I assume belongs to the secretary.

“Gather the seven couriers and bring them to my office.”

“Right away, but I regret to inform you that one of the couriers quit yesterday, muttering something about division and walking a lonely road.”

“We can make do with the six we have.”

We didn’t have to wait long as six ponies, two of each species, came in. All of them wear the same blue, mailman uniform. They shift around uncomfortably on their hooves once they notice I am in the room. I don’t recognize any of them except for one grey, wall-eyed mare with blond hair. I inwardly smile at the sight of Derpy as Ivory instructed them to gather everybody in front of city hall. They nod and give a sharp salute before exiting the building. Now we play the waiting game.


I play the plan out over in my head while we wait. Phase One had gone according to plan since a large crowd grew within just thirty minutes, putting my plan way ahead of schedule. I’m certain I wouldn’t have gotten a crowd this large if they knew I am hiding in city hall. Once Twilight meticulously checks off every pony in Ponyville on her checklist, the announcement begins.

We had planned it out that I would hide inside until my cue. I hear Ivory’s muffled voice thank each pony for coming and that she had important news before introducing Twilight as the next speaker. I paced in front of the double doors as Twilight started her little speech she had prepared. So many things could go wrong here. Would they stay afraid of me forever? I take a few deep breaths to calm myself. I stopped when I heard a voice outside yell, “Get on with it!” which was followed by a loud, “YEEEAAAAHHHH!” I couldn’t help my snickering.

“Fine!” I hear Twilight say, “Ponyville, may I present to you the human, Blake!” That is my cue. It’s show time. I push open the double doors and stride towards the podium set up at the top of the steps, fully aware of the gasps and shocked looks on the faces of the crowd.

I clear my throat before leaning in to the microphone. “Greetings everybody! My name is Blake and it looks like I’ll be staying here in Ponyville for the time being. Now, think of this as an informal meet and greet since I’ll answer any questions you have to help remove some concerns you have about me.”

I see a hand shoot up in the middle of the crowd. “Where are you from?” A female voice asks.

“From a place called Earth. And before anyone asks, I have no idea where it is according to here. It could be in a different universe or dimension for all I know.”

“So, you’re an alien?” Another voice yells out.

I make a rolling motion with my hand. “In a sense of the word, yes.”

“Are you dangerous?” A gruff male sounding voice asks.

I rub the back of my head. “Everybody can be dangerous, but if you’re asking if I’ll hurt any of you, then no. I’m not some evil being bent on destroying the world, just another person trying to get by each and every day.” I see the crowd visibly relax.

Multiple hands shoot up and I point to a random one. “So, do you have a tail?” The owner of the yellow hand asks.

“To avoid further questions like this, I’ll list everything I don’t have. I don’t have a tail, wings, a horn, magic, hooves, equine ears, and most likely a different metabolism.”

“Blake, I think that’s enough questions for now,” Twilight whispers to me.

“Sorry everybody, but that’s all the time I have. But I ain’t done yet. To show my gratitude for letting me stay here and accepting me, I’m going to be hosting a…” I pause for a couple of seconds, “Party! And all of you are invited!” At the sound of this, most of the crowd cheers. After all, who doesn’t love a good party? I have to admit that this went better than expected.

As I expected, Pinkie shoots up from somewhere in the back of the crowd into the sky like a firework. How in the world does she do these things?! “Wooohooo! Now I can throw my party and you can throw yours! This is going to be superawesomefantasticly great!”

Once the crowd calms down enough, I continue. “Don’t get excited yet. I’m sure Pinkie can provide the food and drinks but I still need a venue. Does anybody know of any clubs that got the wubs? Again, as I expected, a certain white unicorn with neon, electric blue hair wearing a set of large magenta sunglasses, a pair of headphones, a blue shirt under a white jacket, and purple pants burst through the crowd and stands in front of the podium. Thankfully, Vinyl Scratch lives in Ponyville and not in Canterlot like some fan fictions I read.

“Did somepony say they needed a club with the wubs?!”

“And just who are you?”

“Vinyl Scratch is the name! Dropping the bass is my game!”

“Okay, so you’re definitely the DJ for the party, but I still need a venue.”

“I got ya covered. Check it! We could use my club, The Bass Kick, on the other side of town for this party!”

I point at Vinyl and yell out to the crowd, “Looks like we have the DJ and venue so this party is on! I’m kicking this off at nine sharp so be there! Oh, and no kids of any kind!” The crowd cheers again before dispersing.

“Are you sure this is a good idea?” Twilight asks.

“Relax, Twilight. This party is probably one of the best ideas I’ve had in a long time. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a party to set up. Yo, Pinkie!”

Her upside down head pokes down from the roof. How is she on the roof? “Yeah?”

“Think you can handle the food and drinks for the party?”

She smiles as wide as she can and gives a mock salute. “You can count on your friend, Pinkie Pie! And that’s a Pinkie Promise!” She does the motions then withdraws her head.

I motion for Vinyl to follow me as I head for my place. “I just need to grab a few things from my place then we can get to work on setting up this party.” She nods and follows me, bobbing her head to whatever music she is listening to. Once we reach my place, I grab some more appropriate party clothes and my iPod along with its charger. I step back outside and nod to Vinyl, who smiles and starts walking away as I fall in step behind her. Phase Two has gone according to plan.


“Now this is a club!” I shout, staring in awe at how awesome this club is. It is a two floor building with plenty of booths and tables to seat the entire town. The center of the club is dominated by a large, polished dance floor. At the very back of the dance floor sits a stage with two massive speakers on the sides and a DJ booth hanging directly above it. Off to the left is a bar but the shelves are empty. So it looks like this world has alcohol after all. Everywhere I look, neon lights assault my eyes. “This party is going to be amazing!”

“So, what kind of music were you thinking of playing?”

“Before we decide on the music, mind if I see your DJ booth?”

“Sure,” She said, heading up to the second floor. I follow her up and into the booth. “This is where the magic happens.” She waves her hand at her setup.

I whistle. “This is a sweet rig! I wonder if you have it…” I pull out my iPod.

“Ah, sweet! Is that the new iApple?”

“This isn’t an iApple,” I hold up the iPod, “It is an iPod, a similar thing to your iApple if it allows you to listen to music anywhere. And to answer you’re last question, I’m looking for a way to play my music through your rig.”

“Give it here! If it’s anything like an iApple, then I know what to do,” I hand the iPod to her and she plugs it into a slot on the top of her table, the jacks fitting perfectly together. “Let’s test this baby out!”

Browsing through my music list for a suitable song, I come to Love Like Woe and play it. Our ears are blasted with sweet music as I smile and look at Vinyl, who grins back and bobs her head in time with the music. We let the song finish before speaking again.

“What did you think of that?” I ask Vinyl, who is looking at me with a grin.

“Awesome song! You certainly have a radical taste in music!”

“Thanks! Now, I was thinking of doing these songs during the party and one special song at the end.” I scroll through the list and play all the songs I intend to use.


Eight-thirty rolls around and everything is ready. Pinkie arrived early with a wagon load of pastries and drinks which she spread out on the bar. I told her to stay behind the bar and act like we’re having a surprise party. Vinyl is prepping herself for the gig, going over the music playlist one last time and making sure all the lights and special effects work. I change out of my clothes and into the black dress shirt and pants in brought. I then tape a note outside on the front doors directing the guests to follow the lights on the floor to the dance floor. I glance at the clock on the wall. I have five minutes till nine. One last thing to take care of.

I look up at Vinyl in the booth above me and give her a thumbs up. She nods her head and shuts off all the lights, save for the floor lights. I stand on the stage facing the front doors, mentally prepping myself for what I’m about to do, when the doors open, the moonlight outside briefly illuminating some figures. They follow my instructions and make their way to the dance floor as plenty more ponies come in. They can’t see me standing right in the center of the stage.

“I wonder what kind of hootenanny Blake’s got planned out.”

“I-I-It’s very dark in here.” I hear a soft eep.

“Don’t worry, Fluttershy. This place is awesome! I’ve been here plenty of times. Nothing bad has ever happened. Not while I’m around!”

“Are you sure this is the right place, Twilight? It seems so… empty.”

“This is the place, Rarity. I’m sure of it. But you’re right, it’s just too quiet. Blake? Are you here?”

It’s show time. I stomp my foot, again hearing an eep, which is the signal for Vinyl to play DJ Got us Falling In Love and turn on a lone spotlight focused on me. Vinyl flicks the rest of the lights on as I dance to the song, remembering the moves from Dance Central Two by heart. Throughout the song, I glance at the crowd to see them dancing along. Some of them are even trying to copy me in dance style, and doing pretty well. The song finishes and I flawlessly strike the finishing pose. Stomping of hooves and cheering greet my ears as I take a bow.

I stand back up and yell to the crowd, “Thank you all for coming! I have one more surprise planned for later in the night but right now, let’s get this party started!” I motion for Vinyl to start the playlist of hip hop, pop, and dubstep.

I wander around the club, partaking in Pinkie’s treats, chatting it up with the ponies that warmed up to me, and busting some moves on the dance floor. The girls seem to be enjoying themselves. Twilight is again trying to dance but… no, just no. Applejack and Rainbow Dash are having a dance off in the middle of the floor. It’s kinda hard to tell who is winning but it seems to me that Rainbow Dash is a slightly better dancer. Pinkie… I honestly don’t know. I can’t keep track of her. One minute she’s eating some food and then the next she’s hanging from the ceiling lights. Rarity is in one of the corners with a group of mares, giggling at random intervals. I can only assume that they are gossiping. And Fluttershy… Where is she? I haven’t seen her since the start of the party but I know I heard her. I start searching the place, looking for any sign of the butter yellow pegasi. I eventually find her in a corner booth, squeezed as far back as possible.

I try to smile as warmly as possible as I slide in beside her. “I would like to talk to you.”

“O-O-Okay.”

“What’s wrong? I thought you’d be hanging with your friends.”

She keeps glancing from my face to the table. “Yes, but it’s just that the music is so loud and scary and there’s so many ponies.”

“Fluttershy,” I inwardly sigh at what I’m about to say. I wrap my arm around her and pull her close. She flinches slightly but makes no effort to resist, “If it makes you feel any better, I’ll sit with you for the rest of the night.”

She turns her head to look at me. “Oh, that’s okay. Go enjoy your party. I’ll just sit here and...”

“Fluttershy, if I didn’t want to, I wouldn’t have offered.”

Fluttershy fidgets in her seat. “Are you sure? I mean, I don’t want to stop you from having fun.”

“As long as I’m with my friends, I’ll always have fun, no matter what.”

“Okay. Thank you.”

We sit in peace, with my arm wrapped around Fluttershy and her leaning into me, for most of the party as it rages on around us. After a good hour or two of sitting there, I get up from the table. “How about I get us something to eat?”

“Oh, yes please. That is, if you don’t mind.” I head for the buffet bar and grab a cupcake and donut before heading back. The rest of the girls are sitting at the table. I squeeze in next to Fluttershy and place the cupcake and donut in front of her. She lightly nods her head and starts eating the cupcake.

“Awesome party, Blake!” Rainbow holds her hand out towards me. I fist bump her back as the girls all agree with Rainbow’s statement. We laugh and joke around, pleasantly enjoying ourselves. The entire time, Fluttershy nudges closer and closer to me until she leans against me… again. A content smile is on her face which causes me to smile. This is nice. Just relaxing and listening to great music with not a single care in the world.

I’m snapped back to reality when I hear Double Vision come on. Right now, this song matches my feelings perfectly so I can’t help mouthing along with it and neither can the girls once they hear the chorus. When the song ends, I gently push Fluttershy off me and stand up. I head for the stage but stop and turn around, holding my hand out. “You coming, Fluttershy?”

“Oh, okay.” She stands up and follows me.

I motion to the rest of the girls. “You too, girls. I have one last surprise in store for everyone.” They all get up and follow me as well. I walk up to the center of the stage and motion for the girls to line up behind me. They glance amongst themselves but do as I instructed.

I let out a shrill whistle. “Listen up!” Every head turns to face me, “As you all should know, these six girls up here represent the Elements of Harmony. It is because of these six girls and the friendships they formed that all of Equestria was saved from Nightmare Moon. Let’s hear it for them!” Everybody claps along with me. Once the clapping dies down, I turn to face the girls.

“On a more personal level, I would like to say thank you,” I bow, “for trusting me when I came to this world. For giving me a chance when no one else would. For being my friends,” I stand back up. “I would now like to dedicate this song to you, girls, for everything.” You Got a Friend in Me starts and I’m tackled to the ground by the girls, who are hugging me. All except Rainbow Dash, who is standing off to the side and trying her best to look away.

“Damn it! Now you got me acting sappy!” She yells before diving into the hug as well. I laugh and hug them all back. This is probably one of the best parties I’ve ever thrown. This will be a day I’ll never forget.


My plan works and the party is a complete success. After the crowd left, cheering for me as they walked out the door, Vinyl and I got to work on cleaning up after the crowd. Although there wasn’t much to clean up in the first place, so I thanked Vinyl for the use of her place with around seventy-five bits. She only nodded in response and went back to clearing the buffet bar. I grab my iPod and clothes and head home for the night. I check the clock on the iPod, which surprisingly still has full battery power for some odd reason, to see what time it is. To my surprise, it says one in the morning. I really need to get some sleep if I was to be ready for whatever this world threw at me next.

PreviousChapters Next