• Published 9th Oct 2014
  • 12,744 Views, 460 Comments

Permanent Vacation - Apple_Crack



I didn't ask for this, any of this. But now that I'm here, might as well make the most of it. But, why am I here? What purpose does my presence here serve to Equestria?

  • ...
54
 460
 12,744

PreviousChapters Next
Movie Night 2: Movie Harder!

“Permanent Vacation”

Movie Night Two: Movie Harder!

I slam a cabinet door shut. I’ve been rummaging around the kitchen looking for anything to cook for dinner tonight that would satisfy the palettes of my guests tonight. So far, I’ve had no such luck. Gah, why did I have to get stuck on a planet where meat isn’t a common food?! Pulling open a drawer, I grab a recipe book filled with every single recipe my family has used over the years. Flipping through the pages, I stop at one that catches my eye. Yeah, yeah, this could work. The meat part of the dish is optional, all the supplies I could get in town, and it isn’t that hard to make. Looks like I found dinner tonight.

Ah, but what is dinner without dessert? Reaching back into the drawer, I grab another recipe book for desserts only. I already know what I’m going to make, I just need to see what it takes. Hmm, this might actually work. Grabbing a pen and notepad, I jot down what I need. Replacing the recipe books, I head for the front door, throwing on a jacket. Looks like I’m gonna need to make a stop at Sugercube Corner and Berry’s.


I slam the door shut with my foot, my hands full with bags of groceries from the market. Thankfully, I was able to get everything I needed for around seventy bits. Heading into the kitchen, I set everything on the counter and glance at the clock to see it’s twelve-thirty. Hm, I assume the girls will arrive at around five again, so I still got some time.

But first, I need to prepare dessert, which starts with a pot of coffee. Once that’s finished, I mix together sugar, egg yolks, mascarpone cheese, some Kahlua, and heavy cream. Dunking the ladyfingers I just bought in the coffee, I layer the bottom of a pie tin with them and pour the mixture over it. Repeating this process until the tin is filled, I step back and admire my work. Ah, it will be good to have tiramisu pie again. Can’t remember the last time I had it. After throwing it in the fridge, I clean up my mess.

With nothing better to do, I head into my living room to play some Assassin’s Creed: Unity for the next couple of hours. Once three rolls around, I figure I better get started on dinner. Grabbing my iPod, I head into the kitchen and attach it to the iHome, picking a random song. After turning on two burners on the oven, I throw a slab of beef into a frying pan. While that cooks, I fill a large pot with water, setting it to boil. Once the water is boiling, I start chopping up the vegetables I got from the market today.

I turn up the volume on the iHome as WTP comes on. I sing along and groove to the music as I keep cooking, frying the meat and adding tomato paste to the water and vegetable mix to create hamburger (Optional for my pony guests, of course.) vegetable soup. As the song ends, I glance at what I have so far and turn down the volume of the iHome. “Alright, it seems like I have everything, but I can’t help feeling that something is missing…” I snap my fingers, “Ah ha! I’m missing the drinks!”

“You know water is free, right? How hard is it to serve water?”

“Are you kidding me? What kind of generous host would I be if I served the same drink twice in a row? Variety is the spice of life, you know.”

“Alright, just trying to make your life easier. Can you fault me for that?”

I shake my head. “Honestly, my friend, I would be doing the exact same thing. So, no, I don’t blame you.”

Rummaging through the cupboards, I grab a two gallon pitcher and a pack of Lipton tea bags. Filling the pitcher with ice cold water, I lower two bags into the water. “Alright, if I timed this right, then everything will be done by five.”

“Five?!” A slam from behind me causes me to jump. I spin around to find the source. “You mean we gotta wait another two hours before we eat?!” Rainbow Dash has her hands on the table, a look of pure disbelief on her face. With her are the rest of the girls, along with three little additions.

After I calm my beating heart, I ask, “How long have you been there? Why didn’t you tell me you were here?”

“We just got here as that there song started. We would have knocked, if somepony didn’t barge in.” Applejack glares at Rainbow.

Rainbow rolls her eyes. “Yeah, yeah, sorry I didn’t knock. Now, when are we going to eat?”

“Rainbow Dash! Can you not offer a more sincere apology to our host for the evening and not focus on the food for once?”

I wave my hand. “No, no, it’s alright, Rarity. I realize that’s the best I’m going to get right now. And it’s not my fault that you,” I point at Rainbow, “Decided to come early. So, you being hungry is all on you, not me. Speaking of coming early, why are you all here early?”

“Well, reshelving the library went by faster than I anticipated, so I came to see if you would let me read some of your books while we waited.”

“Mister and Misses Cake closed the store early today and I said to myself, ‘Gee, Pinkie, I wonder if Blake needs any help with this party tonight?’ and then I said, ‘Well go over there and—”

“Alright, I get the point!” I point to Rarity. “Your reason for both you and your sister!”

“Of course. I, for one, wished to discuss with you the finer points of fashion from your world over a nice cup of tea. Alas, I couldn’t leave my sister home alone, so I assumed you wouldn’t mind if I brought her along.”

“So also said there’d be free snacks and a movie!”

Rarity blushes. “Hush, Sweetie.” Ah, taking advantage of our generosity now, Rarity? Can’t say that I blame her for it, what with her giving so much all the time. She needs to take all she can get.

I laugh. “It’s alright, Rarity. I can handle a few more guests for tonight.” I point to Applejack. “Alright, AJ, you’re up.”

Applejack shrugs her shoulders. “Not much ta say, really. We finished everything that needed doing before the first snowfall tomorrow early. Since Apple Bloom worked extra hard today,” Applejack playfully rubs her sister’s head, “Ah figured she deserved a treat, so ah brought her along.”

“Preparations for winter were way too easy this year, so me and the weather team finished early. Now can we please get some food?!”

Pinkie reaches into her hair and pulls out a box of cookies. “Here, have a cookie! They’re freshly baked!” Rainbow quickly snatches a cookie from the box.

I sigh and shake my head. “Moving on before I get an aneurism from that, what about you, Fluttershy?”

“Oh, um… I was just in the area to say hi. If you were home and were okay with that.” There’s something more to that sentence, but I decide not to push it.

“Uh huh. Well then, how about you, Scootaloo?”

She shrugs her shoulders. “Eh, I sorta tagged along with Applejack and Apple Bloom once I found out where they were going.”

I tap my chin in thought. I gotta bring up a valid point here to see how far she’s going to lie. “I’m fine with that, but are your parents okay with this? You’re going to be here pretty late.”

Scootaloo leans forward in her chair, a distant look in her eyes which is swiftly replaced with confidence. “They’re cool with it. They don’t care when I get home, just as long as I get there.”

“But what if something happens—”

“Rarity, please. If her parents trust her, then so do I. Besides, she could spend the night here if need be. I’m sure here parents would understand.”

Scootaloo’s wings buzz in excitement. “Really?!” She notices all of us staring at her. Coughing, she quickly leans back in her chair and collects herself. “That’s cool. Thanks for the offer, Blake.”

“Ah, trying to act cool in front of your idols. Remember when we acted like that?”

“Yes, I do remember those days. But with age comes maturity.”

“In your case, more like immaturity.”

I clap my hands. “Well, now that that is taken care of, on to more pressing matters. As you can see, much to the annoyance of our chromatic friend, dinner won’t be done for a while. In the meantime, what do you want to do?” Pinkie raises her hand and madly waves it. “Yes, Pinkie?”

“Yes, called on again!” She does a quick fist pump. “I am on fire with your questions! Okay, how about we play a party game, like truth or dare?”

“Oh, a game sounds wonderful right now.” Fluttershy says, surprising me when she doesn’t ask for the opinions of everybody else.

“Great idea, Pinkie. I’ll be right back with the perfect one.” Heading to my bedroom, I grab a box for the game Apples to Apples from my closet. Going back to the kitchen, I announce, “Who’s ready for Apples to Apples?”

Applejack and Apple Bloom perk right up. “Apples?!” We all laugh at that as they blush at their little outburst.

“Nah, not apples in that sense. Basically, it’s a party game designed for more family friendly environments. I would bring out the adult themed version if we didn’t have little ears around.” I motion towards the Crusaders.

Scootaloo slams the table. “Hey! What’s that supposed to mean?”

Sweetie follows Scootaloo’s example. “Yeah, what she said!”

“Sweetie Belle! Please try to show some manners!”

Sweetie hangs her head. “Sorry, sis.”

“What I mean, Scootaloo, is that you’ll be able to play it once you’re older and more knowledgeable about certain things.”

Scootaloo huffs and crosses her arms. “Fine. Let’s just play this game already.”

I set the box down on the table and reach inside, taking out a deck of red cards. As I shuffle them, Twilight asks, “So, what are the rules of this game?” Somehow, she got a scroll and quill from somewhere.

“How about I explain as we go, since it will be easier for everybody involved?” They all nod their heads as I deal out seven cards to everybody. “These are red apple cards, which have the name of a person, place, thing, or an event. If you don’t know the thing on the card, it gives you a little insight into what is exactly on the card. Anyway, don’t show these to anybody else.” The girls gather up their cards, looking at them in the process. I notice mixed reactions from them. Twilight and Fluttershy look intrigued, Rarity and Applejack raise their eyebrows and slightly tilt their heads, and Rainbow, Pinkie and the Crusaders look excited.

“Alright, so now what?” Rainbow asks.

I place a deck on green cards in the center of the table. “These are green apple cards. On these, there is a characteristic of something. For example,” I grab the first card of the deck, “Touchy-feely. In other words, affectionate, huggy, etc… Now, your job is to silently play a card, facedown, from your hand that you think best matches this. Once everybody has picked a card, I’ll read them aloud and pick the best response.”

“So we can play a card based on your personal opinion?” Rarity asks.

“You can, but it isn’t a surefire win though. I may pick an off the wall answer if it’s really good.”

Rarity smiles. “Oh, I have just the card for this!” She slides her card over to me

Applejack chuckles. “Heh, I don’t know, Rares. Ah may just have ya beat here.” Her card joins the growing pile in front of me.

Twilight rubs her chin. “Oh, I can’t decide. None of these match the description!” She sighs in frustration as she slides a card to me.

Rainbow Dash groans. “Why can’t I have any awesome cards?” She slams a card down on the table.

“Oh, I don’t know if I should play this one.”

Rainbow nudges Fluttershy. “Come on, Fluttershy. What’s the worst that can happen? It’s only a game.”

“Um, okay.” Fluttershy gingerly slides her card to me.

Pinkie slams a card on the table. “I got this one!”

“I don’t know what this is, but it sounds nice!” Sweetie hands me her card.

Scootaloo slides me her card without a word. Apple Bloom grimaces, but slides a card anyway. “Ah don’t rightly know what any of mah cards mean, so ah’m playing that.”

Gathering the cards up, I mix them up. “Nobody point out if I’m reading your card. Alright, and the first card for touchy-feely is,” I draw the first card, “Having an operation.” You could cut the silence in the air with a butter knife.

“What?” Applejack finally breaks the silence.

“Wonderful way to start the game, but I will admit that they are sorta touchy-feely in a way.” Everybody looks at me. “What? I never said I had to agree with the cards definition of touchy-feely!"

“That is a good point,” Twilight agrees.

“Alright, next up we have a bad haircut. Yeah, sorry, but that one is out of the running. Next, somebody thinks stun guns are touchy-feely.” I cringe. “Oh, that one really hurts.”

“What’s so bad about a stun gun?” Scootaloo asks.

“Well, nothing says ‘I love you’ more than getting fifty-thousand volts of electricity coursing through your body every second.” Everybody cringes as well.

“Okay, ouch,” Rainbow says.

“Moving on, we have amputations.” Silence reigns around the table. “Okay, putting that one off to the side. Next, we have getting a hug.”

“Oh, I like that one.”

“I will admit, Fluttershy, that that is a good one. Next,” I draw another card, “Oh, we may have a double contender with giving a hug. Tough choice indeed.”

“Even I would have trouble with a choice like that! Getting a hug makes you feel all warm and tingly inside, knowing that someone made you smile! But giving a hug is just as rewarding, knowing you’ve made someone smile and brightened up their day!”

“We may have a winner here, but let’s see what else is in store. And someone played Woodstock!” I laugh. “Oh man, that could probably rival the definition of touchy-feely!”

“What’s Woodstock?” Twilight asks.

“It was a music festival back in nineteen sixty nine based around peace, love, and music. Ah, what I wouldn’t have given to be there. Anyway, onto the next card. We have Britney Spears!

“Who’s that, dearie?”

“Ah, just a singer. I’ll play you some of her music sometime. But trust me, she isn’t touchy-feely. However, I’m pretty sure many men wanted to get touchy-feely with her, not me, mind you.”

“Oh my.” Fluttershy blushes.

“And last but not least, we have high school football.”

“So, who wins this round?” Rainbow asks.

I rub my chin in thought. “Seeing as I’m a lover, not a fighter, I’m going with giving a hug. Who had that?” Rarity raises her hand. I slide the green card over to her. “Point for Rarity, keep the card as a way of keeping score.

“Thank you, Blake, on making an excellent decision.”

“Alright, everybody redraw a red card till you have seven. Play passes to the left, which puts Fluttershy in charge.”

Fluttershy eeps. “Do I really have too?” I place a hand on her shoulder and smile softly. She looks at me, fear evident in her face. However, she returns the smile. “Okay, here I go.” She reaches out tentatively out towards the deck and grabs the top card. She reads it and bursts into giggles. “Can I please give the card to myself?”

“No way! That would be against the rules! Right, Blake?”

“You’re right, Pinkie, it would be against the rules. So, why don’t you read the card for us and tell us what’s so funny?”

“Shy. I got shy.” She places the card in the center of the table and sure enough, she got shy. Everybody bursts out laughing.

“Alright, now let’s find out what Fluttershy finds shy.” I glance at my cards. I can tell this is going to be a fun night.


I clap my hands. “Alright, after two hours of play, our winner is,” I pound my hands on the table in a drumroll effect, “Rainbow Dash!”

Rainbow does a fist pump. “Ah yeah! Told you I was awesome at this game!” Forms of congratulations are said from everybody as we clean up.

I glance at the clock on the wall. “Ah, does anybody know what time it is?”

Pinkie raises her hand. “I do! It’s muffin time!”

“No, that would be at twelve-thirty. It’s actually time for dinner.”

“Finally!”

“Yeah, I’m with Rainbow Dash! I’m starving!” Leave it to Scootaloo to agree with Rainbow.

“All that fun we were having worked up a mighty big appetite.”

“What are we having tonight? It smells simply divine.”

I stand up and head to the stove, spooning generous amounts of the soup into bowls and ice cold tea into cups. “Tonight, we are having something simple and fresh, vegetable soup. Well, hamburger vegetable soup in my case unless you want some, Rainbow?”

“Uh, yeah! You know how I like my meat!”

“Must. Resist. Urge. To. Comment!”

“Rainbow Dash eats meat?!” The Crusaders yell.

“Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, please explain this to the Crusaders.” I tune out the explanations they give as I continue to serve everyone.

Right before I sit down, Scootaloo hands me her bowl. “If Rainbow Dash eats meat… Then I will too!”

I raise an eyebrow as I grab the bowl. “You sure about that? I’m not forcing you to eat it and I wouldn’t want you to get sick from it.”

“Yeah, squirt. You don’t have to eat it if you don’t want to. I mean, I only tried it cause I was curious why Gilda enjoyed it so much.”

“Well, I’m curious too! If Rainbow Dash tried it and eats it, then so can I!”

I shrug my shoulders and put a small amount of meat into her bowl. “Okay, don’t say I didn’t warn ya.” I set the bowl in front of her and take my seat. Everyone digs in, save for Scootaloo, who is staring at the piece of meat on her spoon. Around the table, I notice everyone glancing at her from time to time.

For whatever reason, Scootaloo takes the plunge and shoves the spoon in her mouth. Movement around the table ceases as we watch her face for any indication on if she like it or not. At first, a grimace, causing my hopes of her eating meat to be shot. However, the grimace is replaced with a smile as she swallows. “That tasted awesome!”

Rainbow pats her on the back. “I knew ya would like it squirt.”

“Thanks, Rainbow Dash!”

After this, the atmosphere of the room brightens considerably. Chatter and laughter from everybody is the only thing heard. Once everybody finishes, I gather up the dishes and deposit them in the sink. “Thanks again for dinner, Blake,” Twilight says.

“Anytime. Cooking is one of my favorite pastimes, so it’s no trouble at all for me to do this. Plus, I get a chance to hang out with all of you.”

“Now on to the best part of any meal, dessert!” Pinkie reaches into her hair and pulls out the box of cookies again.

I open the fridge and pull out the tiramisu. “Well, okay then. That means more pie for me.” I say in a singsong voice.

In a flash, the box of cookies is gone. “Did somepony say pie? I love pie!”

“So, who wants some?”

“What kind of pie is it?” Twilight asks.

I take a deep whiff of the aroma coming off the pie and sigh. “Tiramisu pie, one of the best kinds to ever grace my lips.”

“Tira what now?” Applejack cocks her head to the side.

Rainbow shrugs her shoulders and leans back in her chair. “Eh, I’ll pass. Sounds too fancy for my tastes.”

“What does it taste like?” Twilight asks.

“Anybody here ever have coffee cake?” Pinkie, Twilight, and Rarity nod their heads. “It tastes like that then. And too bad for Rainbow since she’ll miss out on tasting the alcohol in this.”

“I’m in,” Rainbow and Applejack say at the same time.

“Alcohol? Then I’m afraid I’ll have to pass, my sister included.”

“Aw, but Rarity! I wanted dessert!” Sweetie moans.

I start cutting slices, glancing over my shoulder every so often. “Relax, Rarity. There isn’t enough alcohol in this to cause any problems, just enough to give it a slight taste of flavor. I wouldn’t serve it to you guys if it would cause more harm than good."

Rarity sighs. “Very well then. But just a small piece for Sweetie and me.” Sweetie squees (Better get used to that being a common sound effect around here.).

Serving everybody a slice, I sit down and indulge myself in this wonderful treat. I let out a soft moan as the first bite hits my taste buds, swarming them with flavor. I notice everybody else enjoying their slice as well.

Rarity dabs her mouth with a napkin. “That was simply divine. You simply must share the recipe with me, Blake.”

I nod my head. “Of course.”

Applejack chuckles. “If’n I didn’t know any better, I’d say this had no alcohol in it.”

I laugh. “See? That’s the beauty of baking that not many people understand. With enough practice, you can mask flavors.”

“When are we watching the movie?” Sweetie asks.

I gather up the dishes and throw them in the sink. “Right now actually, so follow me.” We head into the living room. Everybody takes their seats from before, with the Crusaders forming their own semi-circle on the floor. I go and browse my movie collection. Spotting a perfect film, I have just one question to ask before I can play it. “So, this film contains death. Rarity, Applejack, are you okay with your sisters seeing this?”

Applejack rubs the back of her head. “Well, Apple Bloom is old enough ta make her own decisions.” I look at Apple Bloom, who is furiously nodding her head.

Rarity glances at Sweetie. “I’m not too sure if I want my sister seeing those kind of things…”

“Rarity, I’m going to be honest with you. Kids from my world were, and still are, watching this movie. If it is so bad for kids, why are they still watching it?”

Rarity sighs. “Oh, very well then.

I glance at the DVD in my hand. Actually, I have another question. I rub my chin in thought. “Hm, I’m not sure which one in the saga to play first. Do I go by release date, or chronological order?”

“Wouldn’t that be the same thing since the movies were released in order?”

I chuckle. “It would, but this saga is special. See, when the saga started, it only had three movies. Then the prequels came out, so people started referring to them by following the timeline within the saga. So one, two, and three became four, five, and six. Do you understand?” I glance at Twilight to see her nodding her head, while Rainbow scratches hers.

“So these prequels, going by release date, are four, five, and six. But going by timeline sets them as one, two, and three?”

I nod my head. “Exactly. Ya know, that settles it. I’m starting us off at the beginning, going by the release date.” I throw Star Wars: A New Hope into the Xbox, turn off the lights, and then plop down on the couch between Rarity and Fluttershy. “Prepare for the most epic saga of all time!

As the opening slide plays, I hear Rainbow groan. “Come on! I wanted to watch a movie, not read about it!”

I chuckle. “Ye of little faith, watch and listen.” Rainbow mumbles something under her breath.

Everyone’s attention is drawn to the movie as the sound of laser fire and engines roaring are heard. At this point, Fluttershy curls into a ball and starts shaking. I wrap an arm around her and pull her close to me, causing most of her shaking to subside. However, the sight of Darth Vader causes her shaking to resume until he’s off-screen. Emotions vary as the movie progresses, going from curiosity from Twilight at the sight of the Force, crying and tears at the sight of Luke’s aunt and uncle (Not to mention the destruction of Alderaan.), to cheers of joy at the success of the Rebels.

Once the movie ends, I usher everyone out, thanking each of them for coming. Applejack and Apple Bloom have just left, leaving Scootaloo the last one to leave. She’s staring at the floor and nervously drawing circles with her hoof.

I slam the door shut and head towards the spare bedroom. “Come along now. You can stay here tonight.”

“Really?” I can hear the buzzing of Scootaloo’s wings.

I laugh. “Yes, really. I don’t want you walking around in the dark.” I hear the clopping of hooves behind me as Scootaloo catches up. Opening up the door to the spare bedroom, I motion inside. “Here ya go. One clean guest room, all ready for you tonight.”

Scootaloo rushes into the room, diving onto the bed. “This bed is awesome!”

Heading to the closet, I grab a pillow, sheet, and comforter for her. Not sure if they’ll pass through the bed or not, but only one way to find out. “And tonight, may those awesome dreams be of the Wonderbolts. Now, I trust you can make the bed and put yourself to sleep?”

She nods her head. “Of course. I’m not like, three anymore.”

I shrug my shoulders. “Suit yourself. I’ll be down the hall if you need me. My door will be open, but knock before coming in.” I head for the door.

“Blake?”

I turn around. “Yeah, Scoots?”

She rushes over and hugs me. “Thanks for letting me stay here.”

I return the hug. “You’re welcome, Scoots.” She releases me from her hug and I go to the door, but pause at the exit. “Goodnight, Scootaloo.”

“Night, Blake.”

After storing the leftover food from dinner, I head to my bedroom and change. Crawling under the covers, I place my hands behind my head and sigh. After the events of tonight, I’d say things are going according to plan with everybody involved with my life.

Author's Note:

So, here's the cards everybody had after the first round. Tell me, which card would you play and which would you choose if you were in Shy's position?

Blake: Friction, Cindy Crawford, Fast Food,The Green Bay Packers, Magic Tricks, Jennifer Lopez, The Godfather

Rarity: Homework, Lenin's Tomb, The Williams Sisters, The Internet, Bombs, Having a Baby, John Philip Sousa

Applejack: Screeching, Clint Eastwood, Alfred Hitchcock, Albert Einstein, South Park, At My Parent's House, Swiss Cheese

Twilight: Waterfalls, Big Macs, Corn on the Cob, My Mind, California, Eddie Murphy, Puff Daddy

Rainbow: Disneyland, Tibet, Oral Surgery, Giant Squid, China, Sailors, Labor Unions

Fluttershy: Attack on Pearl Harbor, Water Parks, Money, Kilts, Bankruptcy, Anthony Hopkins, A Bull Fight

Pinkie: Casablanca, Bumper Stickers, Wheat, Confucius, Charging Rhinos, Pablo Picasso, Buying a House

Sweetie: London, Mahatma Gandhi, Salads, Rocky Mountains, Mold, Global Warming, Boxing

Scootaloo: Garth Brooks, Frank Lloyd Wright, Killer Whales, Martin Luther King, Jr., The Ozone Layer, AIDS, A Nine Iron

Apple Bloom: Muhammad Ali, Bounty Hunters, Vincent van Gogh, Jodie Foster, My Sixteenth Birthday, Pigs, William Shakespeare

PreviousChapters Next