• Published 9th Aug 2014
  • 840 Views, 11 Comments

Everypony Needs an Angel - Jingle



Ever since she found him, Fluttershy has been taking care of Angel. Occasionally, the roles reverse and Angel Bunny needs to look after Fluttershy.

  • ...
4
 11
 840

Everypony Needs an Angel

I stood out in the snow, counting the flakes as they drifted down, passing the time. A cool breeze drifted through the air, stinging at my lungs. My fur was warm and insulating, though it was ruffled up by the winds. Standing out in the abrasive weather for hours on end wasn't fun by any means, but I wanted to wait for her. She was strong, but not strong enough to cope with the death of her friend alone. I hoped to comfort Fluttershy when she returned home. She always took care of me, even when I was stubborn and picky.

Hearing soft hoof falls, I perked my ears up, standing on my toes to see over the forming snow drifts. All I could see was Fluttershy's pink hair, covering up her face. I could hear her sniffling, and I could tell she had been crying. That didn't surprise me, as I knew funerals were not pleasant. Though I had never been to one, I had heard about them from Fluttershy when she was younger. Her mother had passed not long before she found me, alone in a field. I could almost perfectly recall that day, though it had been many years ago.

"Thank you for waiting Angel," Fluttershy greeted me softly, her voice shaking.

I nodded softly, knowing I would need to be there for her. Fluttershy wiped her eyes before digging around in her saddlebag for the key to the door. Sparing her the trouble, I grabbed the key from under the doormat, holding it out for her. Fluttershy smiled softly, taking the key and opening the door. She replaced the key in its spot under the doormat, laying the mat back down. I followed her inside, kicking the door shut as I went, though it was heavy for a small rabbit like myself. Standing next to Fluttershy's leg, I watched as she took off her saddlebag and set it down next to the door. The other animals knew where Fluttetshy had been, so those that were awake kept quiet, not wanting to bother her.

I chattered softly, something most ponies couldn't understand. Because of her talent, Fluttershy had a special connection with other animals, such as myself. Her brain could convert my speech into something she could understand. It was really quite remarkable, though it was a part if everyday life for us now.

"It was fine Angel. On one hoof, it was sad when the realization that Rainbow was really gone finally sunk in. We all cried, but it was good to know she would be in a better place now," Fluttershy replied softly, sniffling and pausing in between sentences as if to keep her composure.

I nodded softly, having known Fluttershy's friend, Rainbow Dash. She didn't care for me much, but I still tried to empathize with Fluttershy some. She was the most important thing in my life, the only pony who would care for me. The others couldn't see past my stubbornness, failing to understand how Fluttershy could love me. However, they knew nothing of my past, the day I dreaded and treasured the most.

It was a warm, sunny day in the very beginning of summer. I was hardly more than two weeks old. The one thing you wouldn't guess about me, was that I was the runt. My siblings refused to share any of our food and my mother never stood up for me. That morning, I woke up to find my family gone, though their scent was still fairly fresh. They had simply left me in the middle of the night. By this point, I was weak and upset, ready to give up. Laying in the meadow, I heard a small noise. I perked my ears up, wondering if it could be my family. Instead, I saw a small yellow pegasus, her pink hair curled over her face.

Never having seen a pony before, I tried to run away. Before making it very far at all, I tripped, sending searing pain through my hind leg. The small pegasus filly came over to me, whispering gently. I slowly shifted my gaze up to meet hers, my eyes wide with fear. She gently reached over to me, petting the top of my head. I relaxed slightly, knowing the filly wouldn't hurt me.

"Shh, everything will be alright," Fluttershy whispered gently, picking me up in her hooves.

She flew back to her uncles house, where she was staying in Ponyville. When we got there, her uncle wasn't home. Shaking away any concern she had for him, Fluttershy bandaged my hind leg, telling me that I had sprained it. Though I didn't know what that meant, I didn't question her. Picking me up once more, Fluttershy laid down on her bed, setting me down beside her. I nuzzled gently into her side, feeling safe and loved for the first time in my life. We laid like that for the rest of the day, falling asleep when the moon began to rise.

"Angel?" Fluttershy's voice broke me from my thoughts, "What is my tea kettle doing on the stove?"

I turned off the burner on the stove, grabbing the two mugs I had gotten out earlier. One for Fluttershy and a tiny one for me. I tipped the kettle over, pouring freshly brewed tea into Fluttershy's mug. I repeated the process, filling my mug as well. I pushed Fluttershy's mug towards her. She picked it up with one hoof, rubbing my head with the other.

"Thank you Angel Bunny, that was very sweet of you," Fluttershy praised, letting me climb up onto her shoulder.

She flew into the living room and set her tea down on the side table, laying down on the couch. I hoped off her shoulder, taking a sip out of my tiny cup. I set my mug next to Fluttershy's, snuggling up next to her. While I was looking back on the day Fluttershy found me, I failed to notice she had started a fire. The fireplace burned brightly, spreading a warm feeling through the room. Crawling up next to Fluttershy's neck, I snuggled back into her warm fur. She gently stroked my ears, finding comfort in my presence.

After a long while, Fluttershy broke the silence. "Why does it hurt so much?" She questioned, wiping her eyes. I didn't have the heart to reply, tears stinging my eyes. That one statement brought back too many bitter memories for both Fluttershy and I.

Early in the morning, Fluttershy and I woke to a loud slam. It was her uncle at the door. The young filly hurried out of bed to greet him, bringing me with her. She rushed out to the front room to find her uncle looking down at the floor, tears sliding down his cheeks.

"What's wrong?" Fluttershy asked gently, a timidness in her voice.

"It's your mother honey, she's passed away," her uncle admitted.

Fluttershy set me down on the floor, breathing in the earthy smell in the house. It was so different than that of her home up in Cloudsdale. Just the thought brought tears to her eyes. Little did I know, Fluttershy's father had passed on just a few months before. Her uncle was her last living relative, and he was climbing up in years.

"Why does it hurt so much?" Fluttershy asked softly, a stinging pain in her gentle voice.

I rubbed my head against Fluttershy's leg, trying to comfort her. She had done so much for me in the past few days, it was only fair I tried to pay her back even the slightest bit. The young filly smiled down at me, wiping away her tears. I was pleased, knowing I had given her strength and taken away some of her grief.

From that day on, Fluttershy gave me everything I could ever want, trying to let me know how much she needed me that day. I resisted for a while, not wanting her to feel she was in debt to me. Eventually, I let her spoil me and I would be ashamed to say I got used to it. I had my stubborn moments every once in a while where I expected to be spoiled once again. I tried to always be there for Fluttershy when she needed me, but sometimes my attitude clouded my vision. Tonight, I would not let anything take over my good nature. I needed to make Fluttershy knew I loved her more than anything.

I took a deep breath, snuggling into the soft fur of my pegasus companion. She seemed to appreciate my company, gently pulling me closer. Together, we laid in sorrow until he gentle tranquility of sleep pulled us away. Away from the drag of everyday life and into a world of our own.

Today, I did something good. It may not have been huge, fantastic, or even great, but it was good. I made a difference in someponies life, and it was a change for the better. That was my only goal. Not to be great or wonderful, but to be good to those who cared about me.

Comments ( 11 )

This story is brilliant and sad, well-worded and well-written. Basically, this is the best thing ever. :heart:

4824150
Thank you so much!! It means a lot to hear that!

D'aww levels are to the max.

4825485
Thank you! I try :twilightblush:

What? No, I'm not sad! I just... have a... a pill! That's what it is! I have a pill stuck in my throat! Heh heh... yeah... that's it...

4827525
Hmm... What suspicious laughter...

:fluttercry: That's all I got. Bravo good sir/madam.

This was really cute and adorable, your written word the only reason why I liked it for killing Dash of was a low blow there... >.>
Again, really cute and adorable. I'd say give me more, but Dash is dead... So it's a nice one-shot. :)

Quaver Ava

5076619
Thanks for the feedback!

This story was absolutely amazing! I :heart: how you described the relationship between 🐇 and :fluttershysad:. I used to hate Angel, but this story has changed me. This story is full of heart and kindness. I was great to hear the story from 🐇's perspective. Keep on writing stories like these!

P.S.: Following you now! :derpytongue2:

Login or register to comment