• Published 2nd Oct 2014
  • 13,026 Views, 625 Comments

Celestia's New Student - Art Inspired



Trixie becomes Celestia's new pupil.

  • ...
61
 625
 13,026

Eight: First Day

Finally dozing off, Druid’s head drifted that much lower, only to give off a soft snore that gradually became louder, and then it ended abruptly. Though he stood straight, shoulders firm and armor snug, his head was down and mind wandering off to dreamland... which is when the door opened, causing him to jump. “Eeek! Err, yes, Your Highness! On the job…” He soon saw it was Trixie staring at him, and a lump started forming in his throat. “Oh…”

“Thought Trixie was Princess Celestia, didn’t you? And… was that a skreech?”

He looked away, blushing. “N-no! Actually, more accurately, I thought you might’ve been Princess Luna. Err, anyways, ready to go?”

“But, was that a bat skreech?”

He blushed even more. “Yes… Please, don’t tell anypony.”

Her hoof rubbed her chin while she pondered his previous words. “Hmmm… Call me ‘Your Highness’ again, by the way.”

He gulped, knowing he’d just set himself up for even more demanding orders sure to be ridiculous and humiliating. “Yes… Your Highness.”

Trixie smiled cutely, about the only redeeming quality this situation had to offer. “Trixie likes that! Very well then. From now on, you are to address Trixie as such.”

He grumbled, “Yes, Your… Highness… Even though you’re not a princess...”

“Great!” She walked ahead, but stopped before leaving his presence. “Trixie has no idea where she’s going.”

“Oh, right. Sorry about that.”

As they got to walking together, Trixie asked, “Just how tired are you?”

“Very,” was the only reply he wanted to give, but after a moment of silence, he resumed. “I’m sure you’re aware that I was working all day yesterday. Got about two hours worth of sleep before being specially summoned by Luna. She then brought me to Celestia, and thus, here I am.”

Trixie spoke up. “You haven’t gotten any sleep at all, then! How are you supposed to protect Trixie, let alone serve her if you’re not even fully awake? The moment Trixie sees Princess Celestia wherever she may be is the moment Trixie wants you to go straight to bed! That’s an order.”

He smiled at her concern for his well being as they took a right, Trixie walking to the left of him rather closely. “I appreciate it, Trixie… I mean, Your Highness. Gotta get used to that.”

Trixie laughed, and then admitted, “Trixie was only joking, you know. Calling Trixie great and powerful, or just Trixie is fine. She prefers to be called great and powerful, though.”

The hall they had entered wasn’t that long, but much narrower than the one they’d left behind. They would only need to walk a few more steps, and already, they’d reach an opening that expanded into what must’ve been one of Canterlot’s signature ballrooms Trixie had heard so much about. There were several of them spread around the entire complex to meet the demands of so many Grand Galloping Gala guests, but this one probably wasn’t going to be put to use this year. Trixie deduced this from the lack of decorations, how hardly anypony could be seen within save for Celestia, and the only thing that could be found in here was Trixie’s very own caravan.

She looked to Druid with curiosity in her eyes. “Trixie thought you said you left her caravan someplace else. This certainly isn’t where you ponies keep your chariots, is it?”

He shrugged. “That’s where I left it, yeah. I guess Princess Celestia wants to use it for your first day with her. I’m sure she has her reasons.”

Trixie stepped forth, catching Celestia’s immediate attention, but before the alicorn could invite her over, Trixie spun around to address Druid face to face. Staring into his tired eyes, she asked him, “Oh, Trixie looks okay, right? I mean… I don’t look too well done, or underdone for that matter, do I?”

Druid smiled kindly, and teased, “Who’s this ‘I’ you speak of?”

“Doh, Trixie means-”

“You look fine, Trixie,” he interrupted. “Really, you shouldn’t worry about that sort of thing. Now, go on. Celestia’s waiting.”

She huffed before turning around again, and walked off. Just as Druid was about to make his way to the door, Celestia called over to him, “I need to see you, guardian.” He looked back, a little annoyed by this. “It’ll only be for a second, and then you may rest.”

He came trotting up behind Trixie, and waited for her highness to speak. As for the performer, she didn’t feel quite as comfortable with keeping him awake much longer. “Actually, Celestia… Princess Celestia, Trixie supposes... Trixie would like it if Druid Shield went to bed immediately.”

“And he will, but chances are, there will be some books I’ll need him to retrieve first. You don’t mind, do you, Druid?”

He bowed in respect, and before Trixie could object, he told her forwardly after standing, “It’s quite alright. I saw this coming.”

“But, Princess, couldn’t you have somepony else to do that for you?”

Celestia looked off to the stage where four multicolored balloons the size of a filly sat motionless, and said, “I suppose I could… Very well, since you care so much... Druid? Please tell the stallion just outside to come in and see me.”

He nodded gratefully, and headed out while thanking Trixie for her bold behavior. During the time in which Trixie and Celestia discussed what they’d be doing, the other guard came in. “I wanted to start at ground zero,” Celestia said, her eyes looking over at the curtains behind the stage. “I brought your stage here rather than keeping it cooped up in the carriage house because I felt it might put you at ease if you used it, but when I looked more closely at the curtain…”

Trixie finished for her, “You saw the smoke machines. Yes, Trixie’s always had difficulty with that troublesome spell. She never can get that one quite right; making smoke without the need for machinery.”

“Precisely. I have a book in mind that might help you. The spell itself can be found on the very last pages.”

“Oh,” Trixie began, her ears perking up. “Trixie believes she knows which book you speak of! Twilight allowed her to borrow it, and she’s mastered all the spells except that one fog spell found at the end.”

Celestia smiled at this. “That was nice of her. May I see it?”

Trixie nodded, and started up the stage. While she was gone, Celestia spoke with her guard, writing down a few selections that Trixie would need. Once she returned, however, the stallion would be gone. “Here it is!” she exclaimed, holding it forth with her magic.

Celestia took hold, and felt the cover. “Seeing as how you already possess a copy, I’ve arranged to equip your room with a bookcase. It won’t be that big, as reading isn’t entirely your cup of tea, right?”

“Yes, Your Highness.”

Celestia continued while placing the book aside, “Then the top shelf will simply contain books with particularly helpful hints on fog forging. You won’t need to read them all page by page, so instead, I’ll provide a helpful list of key points you’ll want to visit later on this evening. For now, let’s move on to today’s activity. See these balloons?”

Trixie turned around on the stage, focusing in on the red, blue, green and yellow orbs. “Yes?”

“Can you guess what’s inside of them?”

Trixie mumbled something to herself, and then looked away, back at Celestia. “Helium?”

This made Celestia giggle, but only a little. “Although it’s a good guess, they’d be stuck on the ceiling by now, wouldn’t they?”

Trixie smiled. “Well, what’s inside then?”

Celestia simply said, “Confetti. And some streamers, too.”

“Oh… Oh, Trixie thinks she’s used this trick before! We’re going to pop them, and the innards are going to go flying all over, right?”

Celestia took the red one, and held it high. Once it burst with a loud echo, it was just as Trixie had said. The confetti went whisking everywhere, loftily drifting to the stage and ballroom floor. “Tada,” she added. “Although, what more could be done with this?”

Trixie looked down at what lay in front of her hooves, an eyebrow raised. “Trixie isn’t sure.”

“Well,” Celestia explained, “the lightness of the confetti and streamers makes it easy to control and manipulate with magic. I learned this from a stage performer much like yourself, but he only focused on this particular stunt, and was quite good at it. For now, all I’d like to see is you playing with the small bits and pieces that drift in the air. This’ll help me determine which parts of those books I was talking about earlier to focus on.”

With Trixie holding up one of the spheres, she asked for reassurance, “Just... play around, right? That’s it?”

Celestia suppressed a giggle and nodded while watching the thing rise higher and higher. It burst after a moment of waiting, and then the confetti that was once held within stopped falling so slowly, and instead became one long, flowing line of colorful fragments. It circled itself, dancing above the two, the whole while Trixie’s aura remaining dull and almost invisible. At that, Celestia brought forth a quill, as well a scroll.

Almost not wanting to stop her amusement, Trixie ended the show, fresh ideas blossoming in her head. “Wasn’t that something to behold?”

“Quite!” Celestia agreed. “Though, there’s more to be done with the confetti rather than strategically swirling it around in circles. Watch me, and then we’ll see where you go from there with that final balloon…”

Again, one of the orbs rose high, popped with the same startling noise, but this time, the confetti kept ascending. They eventually came together to create a magnificent rendition of the sun peaking over white clouds. Celestia had used the colors themselves to paint a three dimensional picture for Trixie using nothing but ordinary party favors, and the inspired look on Trixie’s face told Celestia she was going to thoroughly enjoy working with this trick later on.

Once her demonstration had ended, Trixie felt eager to give this proposal a go. Without wasting any words, she just picked up the last remaining balloon and got to work, her imagination coursing with ideas. There was just one image that stuck out the most, and she concentrated on that above the rest. Up, and up, and up Trixie's balloon went, until finally, it shook before bursting with intensity.

The green began forming the cheeks, and the purple created what looked to Celestia like a slithery tongue. Finally, all the orange, pink and red portions entered the head through the back, something Celestia hadn’t exactly seen. With those raging, golden eyes staring menacingly down at her, Celestia gasped with a most entertained smile, and watched the bodiless komodo dragon take shape as time progressed.

Its detailing was much, much better than she anticipated, and even surpassed all other confetti performances she’d seen before. Its cheeks rose while it smirked deviously down at her, and then, its mouth opened, spitting fire as it seemingly hissed. Celestia even had to raise a hoof defensively, even though she knew there was truly nothing to fear, but when it finally lunged forth at her, she couldn’t help but scream in delight. After that experience, she then laughed while covered in chunks of the material they’d been practicing with.

Trixie stepped to the edge, a worried grin plainly visible. “H-how’d Trixie do?”

Celestia breathed, looking up to her student with joyous eyes. Before speaking, though, she naturally brushed herself off. “That was wonderful, Trixie! I don’t think I could’ve done better myself, especially on my first try. You completed your first day’s training with flying colors; literally!”

“Oh,” Trixie blushed. “T-thank you, Your Highness.”

Upon coming down from the stage, the unicorn paid attention to her next assignment. “That's pretty much it for today. You may return to your chambers if you so desire. Take this with you.” She gave Trixie the notes she’d written down on a scroll along with a general map of the palace. “Surely you’ll get hungry while Druid sleeps. This will direct you to one of many kitchens found within the palace, and to the exit just in case you decide to get some fresh air. Be sure to work on the smoke spell in your free time, and meet me back here tomorrow morning.”

“Yes, Your Highness.”

Trixie began to walk away, but was stopped by her teacher saying, “Trixie? Good work today. I’m proud of you.”

The student smiled even more, and departed from the scene shortly after. As for Celestia, she had the leftover mess to clean up, but it wouldn’t take her long at all. She could’ve had one of the guards do it for her, but took it upon herself to do so. It was her mess, after all. Afterwards, she’d be able to get to work with her daily tasks and the like, but not before having the caravan moved to the front entrance where Trixie’s first tests would take place.

Later that afternoon, she’d also come to find out about a certain visitor that had come earlier than expected, and Celestia would speculate whether Trixie would enjoy being part of the Gala as well. If so, she’d need a dress made special, too, wouldn’t she?