• Published 30th Jun 2014
  • 7,989 Views, 481 Comments

Starswirl and the Purple Terror - ValdimarGreen



Starswirl the Bearded is not used to dealing with fans, not surprising since he never had one before. But when a certain purple unicorn of the distant future discovers time traveling, Starswirl soon finds his comfortable days coming to an abrupt end.

  • ...
10
 481
 7,989

Day 8

Day 8

Starswirl the Bearded had just swallowed the last of his morning coffee, when a bright flash illuminated his study. Twilight Sparkle was early today. Starswirl gave himself a mental pat on the back for not flinching away; he was getting better at dealing with her sudden appearances.

“Good morning Twilight Spar…” he trailed off as he got a good look at her, “What are you wearing?”

“Tada!” Twilight said as she struck a regal pose, “Do you like it? I made it myself.”

Do I like it? Starswirl repeated, trying desperately not to burst out laughing. “Well, it’s certainly is unique, especially the bells.” It was the most ridiculous outfit he had ever seen, and to have bells all around your head like that, it would, if given time, drive any wearer insane.

Twilight seemed a bit put down by his reply, “So... you don't recognize it?”

Starswirl frowned at her, “Why should I?”

“Because this is my Starswirl the Bearded costume” Twilight replied.

“It’s your WHAT?!” Starswirl sputtered, not believing his ears.

Twilight tilted her head to the side, causing the multitude of bells to jingle, “You know, based on your original wardrobe. ”

This was a nightmare, ponies in the future thought that he had been walking around in THAT getup? He took a deep breath to calm himself, “I have no idea what you are talking about, Twilight.”

The purple unicorn frowned for a moment then she bounced a hoof off her forehead, “Of course! You simply haven’t started wearing it YET!” She shot Starswirl a wide grin.

Starswirl felt something akin to pure horror, as he once again took in Twilight's outfit. No. No! That's not true! That's impossible!

Twilight seemingly unaware of Starswirls anguish, continued “Anyway I was hoping you sign it for me.”

“Sign it?” Starswirl asked, desperate to think of something other than what the future had in store for him.

“Yes,” Twilight said with a nod, “Write here on the side, something like: To my biggest fan, Twilight Sparkle. Starswirl the Bearded.

Starswirl levitated out a pen and did as she had asked, despite the strangeness of the request. “Was that all?” he asked.

“Well...” Twilight said, with a smile, “I was hoping you could wear this costume and take a picture with me.”

“Over my dead body,” Starswirl said, without hesitation.

Twilight’s eyes grew huge and and she began to pout, “Please?”

Starswirl looked into her eyes and could see twinkling stars beginning to appear deep within. Unfortunately for her, he had seen this trick before, he could withstand it. “That won't work, Twilight Sparkle” he said with forced nonchalance.

Twilight redoubled her efforts, her eyes now seeming to hold all of the universe. Starswirl felt the force of the gaze, like a mountain it pressed down on his will. She would probably have succeeded if it hadn’t been for the fact that her eyes were partly covered by the ridiculous bells. “No means no, Twilight Sparkle.”

Twilight's eyes returned to normal and she bit her lip, “I was hoping it wouldn’t have to come to this...”

“Come to what?” Starswirl asked warily.

In answer, Twilight levitated out a small vial filled with a red liquid and a piece of parchment. “This is the blood sample you wanted from Pinkie Pie and her cake-recipe, the one you promised to send to Celestia.” Twilight looked rather uncomfortable as she continued “And since I really want that picture, and you really want these things, I thought... that perhaps we could trade.”

Starswirl gaped at her, “Are you blackmailing me, Twilight Sparkle?”

Twilights cheeks reddened a bit, “I wouldn't call it blackmail. It’s more of a transaction, a favor for a favor, you scratch my back and I scratch yours.”

She had him, there was no way out. “Fine, but lets make it quick.” Starswirl said with a sigh.

“Excellent!” Twilight said, with a self satisfied smile, probably happy that her first attempt at coercion had been such a success.

As Starswirl pulled on the robes, he comforted himself with the knowledge that tonight with Pinkies blood he would be able to begin practical experimentation on the strange magic he had seen in her magical hoofprint.

Twilight took the picture with a strange device called a ‘camera’ and afterwards insisted that he sign the picture the same way he had done with the robes. As he did, he heard something and his ears perked up.

“Do you hear that?” he asked.

“Yeah, it sounds almost like… laughter?” Twilight replied.

The both turned in the direction of the sound. On the other side of the room, the door stood ajar and a small pink filly was peering inside. She was desperately trying to stifle her giggling with her forehooves. Clover the Clever.

Starswirl, realizing that he was the object of her mirth, felt a sinking feeling in his gut. “Twilight” he said quietly, “Where did you discover what my outfits looked like?”

“In the memoirs of Clover the Clever,” Twilight replied absently, most of her attention on Clover. Then she blinked, realizing what she had just said. “Oh”

"You look really silly, Uncle Beardy!" Clover said between giggles, “I can’t wait to tell mom!” And with those words she ran.

“I'm not your uncle you little monster!” Starswirl shouted as he rushed after her. “Hurry Twilight, we need to catch her before its too late!”