• Published 7th Jul 2014
  • 350 Views, 2 Comments

Tales of a Lonely Pony - Echo Montana Juliet



Twenty years is a long time to wait for evil to come back. Short compared to most greater evil, but still a long time.

  • ...
 2
 350

Breakfast at Mason's

He sighed. He didn't want to continue hurting her feelings. He didn't like hurting others in the first place, but she seemed different. He wasn't sure how, it felt like he should know it, but he couldn't put his hoof on what it was. Her tears kept falling. He wanted to help her, but felt that he couldn't. He didn't want to leave her here to fend for herself, but her current state prevented her from coming with him. He needed to get her cheered up, but that would require actions and words. He wasn't good with positivity.

"Hey, look at me, please."

She opened her eyes, tears still falling in grand quantities from her face. She just stared at him, her breath stuttering.

"I'm sorry he's dead, I really am. I wish there would've been a way to stop what happened to him, but there was no way to save him. If you want to go home, you'll need to come with me. I can't go now though. I'm too injured from my trip to here."

She looked him up and down, with increased interest. He wasn't sure what she was looking for. His injuries never showed very well, if that's what she was looking for.

"I suggest you get some sleep. I'll be next to the fireplace if you need anything."

She hesitated, he wasn't sure what she was waiting for. He began to kneels down in front of the flames, when she spoke.

"W-Why don't you take the bed, a-and I can sleep out here."

He shook his head.

"I've never slept well in a bed. I prefer the ground. Thanks for the offer."

She was still hesitant. He wasn't an extremely curious person, but he needed rest, and her hovering wasn't going to get him any.

"Do you want to stay out here, with me?"

She seemed to be surprised by his offer. She looked down at the ground, most likely in thought. He started to doze off, when he felt the small mare lay next to him. She was warm and soft. He eventually dozed off. When he woke up, he'd rolled over. Looking down, he could she the small mare resting her head on his chest. Low-and-behold his fur had grown exponentially overnight. He didn't think it would happen. He wiped the drool from his face and slowly got up. He grabbed a pillow off the nearby couch and set it under her head, so as not to startle her. He went to the bathroom and took a shower. When he emerged, she'd woken up. She seemed happier this morning than last night. She smiled at him, and he nodded in reply.

"You want some breakfast?"

"Sure, if you're offering."

She trotted into the kitchen. A few minutes later, he walked in and she'd finished making breakfast. It was pancakes.

"Wonderful. My favorite! How'd you know?"

"You seem a lot like your father, so I just assumed."

He grabbed a plate and some pancakes. He pulled a chair out for her, and sat down at the table himself. When she finally sat down, he spoke first.

"Did you sleep well?"

She shrugged.

"When I woke up, you seemed very comfortable. Using my chest for a pillow."

She stopped eating and her face turned bright red. She was clearly stunned by what he said.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you."

She swallowed what was in her mouth and shook her head.

"N-no it's not that. It's just...."

She paused in thought. He had finished eating and started to clean his plate in the sink.

"Just what?"

"J-just-. Nothing- It's nothing."

He was confused by her sudden change in words, but he didn't want to press her. He wanted to leave today, and her crying wouldn't help.

"Are you ready today?"

"R-Ready?"

"To go to the Crystal Kingdom."

"O-Oh, right. I need to collect a few things, and then I'll be ready to leave."

She left the room. He cleaned her plate too, as well as the rest of the dishes. He walked to one of the room in the house. It was a bedroom, most likely his father's. He noticed something laying on the bed. It was saddlebags with a note attached to one. The note read:

"Dear Remington "Snowy" Thompson, this is Mason, if you're reading this, I've probably died. The mare is lost. I don't exactly know where she's from, but you'll have all the time you need to figure that out later. Prince Shining Armor know where you are, and he's biding his time, because he know's you're coming back. Any disguises won't work this time around, he's got tricks up his sleeve. You can take this saddlebag. I'd recommend it. It's bottomless in size, and matches your coat. It was used by our eldest Thompson, Sage, when he first traversed the great winter plains to get to here. It's been passed down from generations. There were other trinkets and tools given to others of his descent, but this is ours. If you remember where I died, there's a second smaller door there. Use the words and you'll be able to pass through undetected. You'll have to go around the entire wall to get to the exit, but at least you know where to go. Get her home, and leave this place, or you can try figuring out why Shining Armor killed me. It really is your choice. Love, Mason "Conscript" Thompson."

His real name was Remington? He prefered Snowy, really.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment