• Published 29th May 2014
  • 3,512 Views, 335 Comments

Divine Jealousy and The Voice of Reason - Jordan179



Late Season 4: When Discord discovers that Fluttershy has another love interest, will he attempt a traditional solution? Or can a Voice of Reason stay his hand?

  • ...
20
 335
 3,512

Chapter 11: Dissy's Youth Remembered

Discord

Deep in the Everfree Forest there was a rise in the floor of a valley running between two mountains. On the top of this rise, near the edge where it fell away to the valley floor, there was a smaller rise -- a sort of hillock. A hypothetical archaeologist, noting the flattened top and regular outlines of this hillock, would have termed it a "tell" -- the characteristic pile of debris and piled garbage left behind by a structure occupied by sapients over a long period of time.

The archaeologist would have been correct. And she was not even all that hypothetical -- Daring Do, to be specific, had been to this very spot, and had recognized the general nature of what she had seen. She had only the time for a very quick sample, but it had made its way into one of her private notebooks.

"Old building, probably a large steading or small village, pre-Discordian, inhabited from at least the early Cataclysm on, abandoned just before or right after the Coming of Discord. Estimated occupancy between around 2000 and 1000 years BTH. Probably of Pony origin.

She'd been rather busy on another errand, and hadn't been able to stop to do any real archaeology. She didn't consider the tell interesting enough to mention in any of her published works.

Which was a shame, really, because this place was even older, and its history more spectacular, than even any of her exploits.

Discord twisted himself through the paths of least resistance through spacetime and emerged on a hillside overlooking the tell. There had once been a big old oak tree here he had loved; not because he had any particular fondness for plants -- That was more Posey's thing -- but because it was the perfect place for a picnic. It had been frequently used for exactly that purpose, most particularly by two strange sisters and an even stranger only child, who were strange in that none of them were of any previously known Kind. Three strange children who were the best of friends, which was good because they were the only children in their microcosmic social world.

His memories conjured their ghosts -- not true ghosts, since all three of them were alive and well, but traces in his mind, which his powers animated as half-tangible energy forms. A lovely white filly, whose pink mane seemed to gather in and shine with sunlight, illuminating an otherwise gloomy world with her grace and kindness. A cute blue one; a wonderful pal, who was brave and always game for any adventure,. And an awkward little draconequus, who was happy to be with his boon companions.

His mind flickered through the memories. Early picnics here -- they were just foals, tumbling and playing around their mothers. The mother of the two fillies -- a figure who had always filled him with fear -- a green Unicorn whose mane was a a swirl of dark green and blue and red, whose colors seemed to shift unpredictably, and whose hooves were shod with twists of energy that pained his own eyes to look too long upon, and whose own eyes seemed to regard young Dissy with cold suspicion -- Mimic.

Why did you distrust me even then?, full-grown Discord wondered. I was just a foal then, I hadn't done anything to you, yet. Did you always somehow know what I was, or suspect it by the power of what you wore on your hooves? The left side of his jaw hurt when he thought too long about that, as if the wound had been dealt him yesterday instead of over two and a half millennia ago.

And another one -- a pink Earth Pony with a greenish-brown streaked mane and a somewhat unfocused expression in her green eyes, except when she looked at little Dissy. Then, her eyes shone with love. Shady, he thought. Then, Mother ... Adult Discord felt a strange tugging at his heart when he looked at her. She was only the mother of this Incarnation, of course. But she was the only mother he'd ever really loved ...

By the time he was a few years older than this, he had understood that she was weak and timid, but he only loved her the more for it, for it meant that he had to protect her. In those days, he'd been very protective. In recent days, he'd started to want to protect somepony weak and timid, too -- until she'd turned on him.

It hurt him to look at Shady as well, but for entirely different reasons. For she'd turned on him in her own way too, at the very last, at the end of his thousand-year reign. Turned on him and fought him. And done so to far greater effect, for she'd done so with the scythe he himself had made for her, and he had been unable to defend himself against her, though he could have destroyed her in an instant. A colt should not strike his own mother ...

And she'd still loved him, even then, even as she helped his former two best friends defeat him. That was the irony of it. At the end, he'd been struck down by the three Ponies he cared for most. Perhaps they were the only ones who could have defeated him. Perhaps he could only, really, be hurt by those he loved.

But this was more than a thousand years before the day he was defeated, and there was no conflict in this scene beyond the rough and tumble of healthy young foals, nothing but love. Young Dissy romped with little Celly and Lulu, chasing after a giggling Celly who looked merrily back at him, then squeaked as he nipped her small tail. An even smaller Lulu, wearing an expression of comically-fierce concentration, rammed him from the side, knocking him over and standing atop his long serpentine body, glaring down at him and biting him with her little foal-teeth, gripping one of his coils and growling like a small dog, holding on as he squirmed, laughed and caught her in his coils.

Adult Discord watched and smiled to himself, an smile of pure joy, a smile that was utterly free of any trace of malice. For he'd never hated the Sisters, never really wanted to harm them -- he'd only ever wanted to play with them, it was just that his definition of "play" had changed somewhat after his twentieth year of life. He'd wished that they could appreciate his new outlook on life, but they'd never been sufficiently flexible. They'd never really understood.

In his current strange mental state, strange even for him, torn between his older and younger Selves, all his actions had a unity to them that they often lacked, almost as if his personality was whole and boring like those of most other beings. And he knew that he still thought of them as his friends, even if they no longer thought of him in such a fashion. That he would think of them as his friends until the day he permanently discarnated from this Aspect -- and maybe even after.

Other picnics flashed through his mind. They grew older and older -- itself unusual, for in Paradise Estate all maturation was very greatly slowed. It was as if their own development was following a plan laid more deeply and mightily than that of the ancient Eldren scientist-mages who had created this place, driven by a power as far beyond them as they had been beyond ordinary Ponies. Which was, of couse, exactly what was happening. At the time, they were just glad that they wouldn't have to be eternal foals.

Now they were no longer foals, but a colt and two fillies, growing bigger and stronger with every passing year. The sunlight gathered more about the white filly, the shadows about the midnight-blue. In some lights it seemed as if the rainbow sparkled in Celly's pink mane; little twinking lights like stars began to glisten in Lulu's. Power was beginning to gather around them as well, though they still knew nothing of what it meant.

And his own younger self? He was growing even faster, becoming ever larger than his two best friends, though still much smaller than he was today. He was starting to look at the other Ponies, at the pictures of the long-vanished Big Brothers and the forms of the occasional visitors from the outside world, and he was starting to realize that he was not truly of their species, that he was something unlike anything the Ponies had ever seen before, had powers unlike anything they had ever seen before.

Some of the other Ponies were growing suspicious of him. Mimic had never trusted him, of course, and the others were beginning to grow afraid. His mother Shady still loved him of course, and Posey and Surprise, who were themselves childlike in many ways, were almost like older playmates, constantly amused by the strange things he made and did with his emerging, ever-growing magical powers. They would hear no ill of him.

Mimic, Galaxy the fire-mage; and Star-Reacher, the mysterious housekeeper who had come from the wilderness just before Celly and Luna had been born: they had never truly trusted him. They began to eye Dissy more and more uneasily as his powers grew, as the monsters came out of the woods to fawn before him and lick his mismatched hands.

And Wind Whistler, wise and scholarly, who had always been the teacher to the three strange children, began to give him very curious looks. He knew that she was constantly bargaining with the occasional outsiders, offering them valuable artifacts in return for certain rare books, ones which it was said dated back not only back before the Cataclysm but before Paradise Estate, to a mythical time at the start of history when it was said that two beings -- a white goddess and a strange chimeric dragon-thing, had come down from the stars to contest -- or play -- for the destiny of Ponykind. But Wind Whistler could never obtain them.

And sometimes when Wind Whistler's eyes narrowed upon him, he remembered that she had another side than the gentle scholar they all knew. That she had been Wind Whistler the War Leader, the one who along with spunky, funny Firefly had been the first Ponies to take up arms against the forces of Tirek, had borne The Megan herself into battle, had led Ponykind in the Reclamation of the Earth from the Monsters. That according to the records of those days, she had been the most dangerous warrior ever born to mortal Ponies, mind and body united in perfect harmony, moving with economy and grace and utter lethality, like a reaper harvesting the foe.

Adult-Discord watched the children growing older, their play becoming more complex.

He remembered how Celly had invented the Princess Game, which became their favorite. Celly would be the Princess and she would send Lulu and Dissy on quests to slay monsters. Lulu always wanted to be her big sister's War-Leader, and Dissy would sometimes be a brave Knight who was her Companion, and sometimes the Monster Lulu had to slay. Celly didn't care which Dissy was, but Lulu really liked it when Dissy was her Knight-Companion. Sometimes they got Spike into the game, to be either a Knight-Companion or Monster.

Celly was always good at looking beautiful and regal, making a very convincing Princess, whether she was sitting on some chair she had pressed into the role of her throne, or being the captive of the Monster. She would always be very cunning and crafty, and sometimes she would escape the Monster by trickery before Lulu and her Companions could get there. One time when Dissy and Spike were both playing Monsters, she tricked them into fighting each other and escaped while they were arguing.

They talked about what they wanted to do with their lives. As young fillies and a colt, their ambitions were of course exactly like the games they played.

Celly, of course, wanted to be a Princess. "I'll rule the land wisely and fairly and bring justice to all and I'll be really beautiful and everypony will love me!" she explained. And Dissy and Lulu could see no flaw with this plan.

"I'll be the War-Leader, fearsome to the foe but beloved by my friends, commander of the war-host, who will defend your realm and keep our Ponies safe from the Monsters!" Lulu declared, a fierce light shining in her innocent blue eyes.

"And I'll be the brave Knight, who fights with honor against the Monsters and wins the day for my Princess!" said Dissy.

"And you'll be my Companion," said Lulu.

"Well yes, I'll serve my Princess," said Dissy.

"No, you'll be my Companion," insisted Lulu.

"I'll be Companion to you both," replied Dissy, trying to placate her. But it never seemed to fully work.

She'd been so possessive, even as a small filly! She was a great friend, but often hard to understand.

Now they went up the hill and picnicked beneath the tree together, sometimes with Spike but increasingly just the three of them. Things were starting to change within them, and between them. Celly's legs grew long and her gait increasingly graceful, and sometimes her mane would flow about her in a manner that took Dissy's breath away, or her tail would twitch with a curious insistence when she walked that Dissy found very distracting.

It became dangerous to look at her face, for one risked drowning in her luminous purple eyes. It was even more dangerous to look at any other part of her. The very scent of her was becoming intoxicating, and if that long pink mane, which increasingly sparkled with all the colors of the rainbow, happened to pass across his own face, his breath would catch, his heart seem to stop beating for a painfully magical moment. It was like nothing he'd known before.

Wind Whistler had taught them all basic biology, Dissy had read the love stories of a hundred cultures in the Estate's copious libraries; he understood theoretically what was happening to both of them; but no theory, no tale could be as frightening and mysterious and wonderful as the reality. All the firm ground of their friendship seemed to be shifting -- sometimes he felt as if he was sinking into a swamp, sometimes soaring into the air without even having to use his wings.

Lulu was changing, too. She was gaining a loveliness of her own, a dark mysterious marehood that was like the cool of moonlight dappling shadows in some hidden garden. Nothing like her sister's, of course, but that was all right. She was still his friend, and he found himself more comfortable with the cooler presence of Lulu than he was with the incandescent blaze of beauty that was her elder sister. Only even there the ground was unstable.

Sometimes she would be eager to go places with him; happy to share adventures with her friend, and it would be just like the good old days. If anything she'd be even friendlier than she used to be, hanging on his every word, those big blue eyes shining with fellowship and good cheer, fixed on his own face. She'd pay him all sorts of compliments, too, calling him "mine own dearest friend" and "sweet Dissy," pleasant nonsense of that sort.

Sometimes, though, she'd be all moody and hard to please, and it seemed as if she would become unpredictably angry at the most harmless things he said. And he soon learned not to try to confide to Lulu the strange sensations he was having around Celly -- that seemed to get her angriest of all. He had always known that she could be very possessive, and figured that she didn't like the idea of someone being attracted to her sister, even if it was their mutual best friend..

More years passed. The time came when two figures went up to picnic: Dissy and Celly, and Lulu nowhere to be seen. She'd come to realize that they had very private matters to discuss, and Dissy thought she was very nice about giving them time alone together, though Celly grew sad when he mentioned this, so he did not mention it again. They had sat and talked long that day, while the Sun made its rounds and made of Celly's mane a glory, he in awe of her beauty.

And before that day had ended they had spoken words, and exchanged pledges, which had meant so much to them then, though they had of course been revealed for the worthless drivel they were when he had Awakened. Or had they been worthless? They had been both so happy as they came down from the hill that evening, the Sun setting in the west and the twilight settling on Dream Valley, as the crepuscular creatures came out to prowl, and his heart felt so light despite it being bonded to hers.

They had met like this several times before the nightmares came back, the final bout of nightmares that had ended it all. And it had been sweet, so sweet that the memory now pained him. For in the thousand years that he had ruled the planet, nothing -- nothing -- had made him so happy as the adoration that shone in a pair of purple eyes, the look of the world around him as seen through a long pink mane falling around his face as he lay twined in love with its owner.

And if a pair of blue eyes had noted their comings and goings: once-admiring blue eyes now being clouded by jealousy and unrequited longing -- neither of them had noticed.

Or thought it important -- at the time.

Not that it mattered much anyway. For the dreams got worse and worse, and within a few days he Awoke.

And after that, nothing was ever the same again.