• Published 29th May 2014
  • 3,513 Views, 335 Comments

Divine Jealousy and The Voice of Reason - Jordan179



Late Season 4: When Discord discovers that Fluttershy has another love interest, will he attempt a traditional solution? Or can a Voice of Reason stay his hand?

  • ...
20
 335
 3,513

Chapter 13: Rainbow's Boast and Fluttershy's Plan

Rainbow's Boast

"So what's going on in there, already?" complained Rainbow Dash, hovering in the middle of the room with her forelegs crossed, indicating the closed door to Twilight's study with her nose. "There's been more than enough time for Princess Luna to tell Twilight whatever she meant to tell her about Discord!"

They had been waiting for about an hour now. There had been a brief early excitement as Rainbow darted off to fetch Scootaloo and Featherweight, but she had secured them swiftly enough and brought them to the library safe and sound. Discord, whatever his ultimate intentions, did not at present seem inclined to harm either of the two young Pegasi. Yet.

Scootaloo was of course glad to be able to spend time with her heroine, though she was a bit bummed to be spending this time locked up with her in a library At first, Rainbow had entertained her with a tale of some trouble Rainbow had gotten into as a filly in Cloudsdale: Rainbow had managed to make it sound like an amazing adventure. But now, Rainbow herself was getting bored -- and impatient.

"I'd s'pose they're talking about Discord," Applejack replied. "And how to deal with him. You know -- what they said they were going to talk about?"

Rainbow snorted, lowering her head onto her crossed forelegs, then coming down to make a graceful landing. "Well, I just wish they'd come to a decision," she said. "Then we could go out and try their plan -- it'd fail, of course, because we all underestimated Discord, so then we'd all be at his mercy, except me 'cause he knocked me out at the start of the fight, and then -- just as he was about to finish all of you off -- I'd come rocketing in and give him a Sonic Rainboom to the face -- KA-POW! -- and save the day!" Her mood gradually improved during her pre-counting of these future glories, until at the end she was beaming in happy anticipation of her intended daring deeds. "Oh, yeah!" she concluded, and high-hoofed the adoring Scootaloo.

"Does that little play come with musical accompaniment?" Applejack inquired drily.

"Ooh yes!" squeaked Pinkie Pie, entering the conversation. "This tune!" She pointed off in some indescribable direction.

The other Ponies tried to follow Pinkie's indication. Their visions blurred and they felt momentary headaches, so they quickly gave up the attempt.

"Have you ever noticed," asked Rarity a bit acidly, "just how many of your plans boil down to 'fly really fast and hit it in the face?'"

"Your point being?" replied Rainbow, nonchalantly inspecting one of her fore-hooves.

"Well, darling, isn't it a trifle crude?"

"Eh, some Ponies like unnecessary complexity," replied Rainbow. "All fancy with ribbons and bows on it. Me, I figure that if a simple plan works, why mess with perfection?"

"But it never works!" protested Rarity.

"Well, I wouldn't exactly say that," replied Rainbow.

"When has it ever worked?" demanded Rarity. "When? Ever?"

"What about when I fought that manticore?" pointed out Rainbow.

"What? You never hit him in the face! I hit him in the face!" insisted Rarity indignantly.

"And did it work?" asked Rainbow, inspecting the other hoof.

"No! All it did was anger the brute! I was lucky to escape with my life!"

"Now see, that's the difference between us," argued Rainbow Dash. "You just don't know how to do it right. If I'd hit the manticore in the face, it would have worked."

"What?!!" cried Rarity.

"Yep," continued Rainbow, grinning. "I'm just that much more awesome than you."

"Oooh!!!" cried Rarity in frustration. "You are insufferably arrogant, do you know that?"

"Course I do," Rainbow replied with a broad grin. "I've worked long and hard on my attitude."

***

Fluttershy's Plan

Fluttershy smiled as she watched her two best friends bickering. She could tell there was no real malice in their argument -- she could directly taste their emotions, and in any case she well knew their natures. They were arguing, of course, to take their minds off their very real fear of Discord. They thought he would do something terrible, and they would have to engage him in life-threatening combat.

Fluttershy knew better. She knew that Discord loved her, and that if she could only talk to him she could calm him down. She remembered Discord the way he had been when he had first broken out of his stone prison three years ago, and how he had been when he'd first been paroled, and the way he was now. One of the reasons why Princess Celestia trusted her with the great responsibility of being Discord's friend was that she could directly sense his emotions, too.

Between the time he'd first broken free and first been paroled something had changed Discord. Fluttershy wasn't sure exactly what, but Princess Celestia had privately told her that she had talked to Discord in between those two events, and Fluttershy had seen Celestia and Discord together since his parole. She could sense the bonds of old love between them. This told her that Celestia had once been very close to Discord, which must mean that he once must have been a very different person.

Fluttershy was certain Discord cared for her -- she'd known that he had even when first paroled, which is why she'd had the confidence to use his caring as reins by which to restrain him. They'd spent many happy hours together since then, sharing ideas, showing each other things, sometimes just chatting about nothing at all or companionably cuddling. On reflection, thought Fluttershy, I should have realized he liked me more than just as a friend, from that last part.

But how was I to know? I've only really had four really good friends in my life -- Rainbow, Rarity, Bulk and Discord. And Rainbow was and Bulk is my lover. And I guess Dissy wants to be my lover. I wonder if that's normal? Do most Ponies find that most of the Ponies who really like them also want to make love to them?

Fluttershy was less innocent in the ways of the world than she had been four and a half years ago, when she'd taken that first fateful walk through the woods to the Castle of the Two Royal Pony Sisters. But she was still fairly innocent, by the standards of most mares in their twenties. And she still found Ponies hard to understand, compared to small mammals and songbirds.

And Dissy's not even a Pony -- though Celestia told me he was raised by Ponies. I suppose that's why he likes me that way. She thought about the situation. Now that she was calming down -- strangely, at the same time that everypony else was tensing up -- she was finally able to ask herself the question which was crucial to the whole situation. Do I like Dissy that way?

The question was surprisingly difficult to answer. Because on the one hand, the answer was obvious. Yes. Of course I like him that way. She loved Discord's company, his keen intellect, his tremendous creativity, the gentleness and warmth he showed her. This was the side of Discord she'd seen ever since he'd realized he really valued her friendship.

And to Fluttershy, who had been forced to invent her own strange code of morality, with very little reference to normal Pony ways, strong mutual friendship accompanied by sexual attraction on the part of the other almost-automatically aroused her in return. The main reason why Fluttershy was not promiscuous was simply that she did not have many sapient friends, and of the ones she had, only three were attracted to her in such a fashion.

Fluttershy was generally aware that most Ponies would have considered her attitude somewhat scandalous. So she did not explicitly tell them about it. She was far too naive to realize the potential trouble into which this approach might get her.

It had been her great good fortune that the first Pony to ever love her in such a fashion, Rainbow Dash, loved her unselfishly and loyally, to such an intensity that nothing short of outright hatred on Fluttershy's part could have ever shaken her devotion. It was her next great good fortune that Bulk Biceps almost worshipped her. Both had similarly great hearts, too great to be much moved by merely jealous motivations.

It was not really very surprising that her luck would eventually run out, as it had with Discord. One may be a goddess, but then one attracts the notice of gods. And gods are proverbially jealous beings.

So, ironically, it was the Draconequus whose response to what he perceived as Fluttershy's faithlessness -- despite the fact that Fluttershy had promised him no fidelity -- in fact promised him nothing, since he had still even now made her no declaration of love -- whose reaction to Fluttershy's innocently sensual approach to Love and Friendship was closest to the Pony norm. In a backwards and confused sort of way, which was really the way that Discord dealt with life in general.

So she wondered what to do. Should she tell Discord she loved him? But what if he wanted her to give up Bulk, or (even worse) Rainbow? She was not currently the lover of Rainbow Dash, but she assumed they might be again in the future -- their love affair had been on and off before -- and she certainly would never give up Dashie's friendship, not even under threat of personal annihilation, for it had been the one good constant of her existence.

Bulkie was a newer resident in her affections, but in a few short months she had come to love him very dearly, and even were she inclined to do so she had too few really good friends to lose one of them. She suspected that if she rejected his sexual love at this point in their lives, especially under threat from Discord, that she would lose his friendship as well -- a loss which she would find very sorrowful.

And she knew from animal handling that it was a very bad idea to back down too readily before something big and dangerous, lest it learn that it could spook oneself. Discord, despite his vast intellect, was in many ways to her just an especially big and dangerous animal, when he got cranky. This was a comparison she judged unwise to make to his face. But then, to some extent she dealt with everypony with the skills she had learned from handling animals -- something which all her friends seemed to figure out when they had known her long enough.

She knew what she really wanted, of course. The obvious solution. It seemed obvious enough to her, anyway.

But sometimes the solutions which seemed obvious to her were ones nopony else thought reasonable.

Other Ponies were funny that way. And, she supposed, also Draconequii who thought like Ponies.

Fluttershy contemplated her obvious solution and hoped that the others would accept it.