• Published 3rd Apr 2012
  • 2,561 Views, 93 Comments

A Dark Shade of the Past - InfinityBreach



You can't always judge a book by its cover. When you meet someone who controls darkness though...

  • ...
5
 93
 2,561

A New Suit

A Dark Shade of the Past
by InfinityBreach

Chapter 36: A New Suit

The morning was crisp; more so than it has been as of late. Fluttershy explained that it's because of winter coming right around the corner.

The pegasi slowly move clouds over Equestria, and the world becomes covered in something called snow.

I'm actually kinda curious as to how it would look. She told me it was like a blanket of white covering the world, but how would that be?

I thought of all of this while walking the path towards Ponyville, to accomplish my promise to Fluttershy; tell Twilight I'm fine, and then leave. No staying longer, no dealing with anything else, just in and out, and then I can go back to the cottage.

As I walked, I became more vigilant of the things around me, and more nervous of what would happen when I met with Twilight. Would she lecture me? Call the others? Maybe I'm worrying too much…

I got to the door of the library with no issues, surprisingly. I raised my hoof to knock on the door, when I froze for a moment, remembering Twilight's annoyance of ponies that knock on the door to a public library, so I decided I would just walk in.

The library was surprisingly dark, especially for this time in the day.

"Hello?" I asked the shadows of the room, wondering if anypony was here. I heard a muffled response from above, and turned just in time to see Spike at the top of the stairs looking rather sleepy.

"Hey, Spike." I said, as his eyes grew wide.

"Eclipsal! Dude, where have you been? Everypony has been so worried about you!" He said, now hurrying down the stairs to greet me.

"Erm… well, I've just been clearing my head. But I decided I would come to make sure you all knew I was fine, so I'll be on my way now…" I turned to leave, when he grabbed at one of my hind hooves.

"If I told Twilight, I don't think she'd believe me. I've been having these really weird dreams lately, so we should at least go check with somepony else." Spike said, walking out the door of the library.

"Well, where is Twilight? I could just tell her myself." I stated.

"Twilight's in the Everfree Forest at Zecora's hut. She said she'd probably be there all day, so she closed the library and left me in charge for the day!" He exclaimed, puffing out his chest.

"Ah, so the number one assistant was sleeping away the day, huh?" I said with a small laugh, to which Spike just rolled his eyes.

"Anyway, who are we going to tell that I'm here?" I asked him.

"Rarity, of course!" He happily said, his voice now getting the slightest bit higher.

Now I rolled my eyes. Everypony knew Spike had a huge crush on Rarity, so it's obvious he would lead me there. Hopefully it all works out well between those two, but I don't really know that much about Rarity except that she's nice and generous. Other than that, I have know problems with her, so going to see her would be fine with me.

Spike knocked on the door of Carousel Boutique, the shop that Rarity lived and worked at.

The door opened to reveal somepony I wasn't expecting. It was one of the fillies that was with Applebloom when she was being bullied.

"Hey there, Sweetie Belle." Spike greeted her.

"Oh hello, Spike!" She replied with a smile, opening the door and letting us inside.

As we walked in, Spike whispered to me. "This is Sweetie Belle. She's Rarity's younger sister."

She closed the door behind us, and stared at me briefly. "You're the pony that stopped Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon from bullying us, right?"

I nodded my head. "Yup, that's me. Eclipsal Shade. Thing is though; I'm a horse."

"Oh, really? Wow! That explains why you're so big! You might even be bigger than Big Macintosh! But Miss Cheerilee said that horses don't exist anymore…" She then poked my side, before continuing. "Yeah, you're not a ghost! So how are you still here then?"

"I don't really know. That's why your sister and her friends are trying to help me out. I lost my memories before I met them, and they are all helping me to get them back." I said giving her a smile.

"That must suck, not being able to remember anything.. Anyway, I need to go out and start crusading with my friends! Rarity should be in her sewing room. See you later, Mister Eclipsal!" She said, giving a wave before bouncing out the door.

"So, you know where Rarity's sewing room is?" I asked Spike.

"Yep! When I'm usually taking breaks from working at the library, I come here to help Rarity. If she doesn't need any help, I usually go help Pinkie Pie with baking!" He explained as he motioned for me to follow him.

We got to a double door, and Spike opened one of them, peaking inside. From inside, I could hear Rarity.

"Oh, why hello there, Spikey Wikey!" She greeted him, which made me giggle a bit.

"Spikey Wikey? Really?" I whispered to him.

"Hush, you." Spike said, as we walked into the room.

Rarity was turned back to her work, running some sort of cloth under a machine.

"So are you here to help me with designing again, Spikey Wikey? Because Twilight told me you aren't allowed to work until she finds what is responsible for those dreaded nightmares of yours. Feel free to have a seat and relax if you want to, though. Make yourself feel at home." She stated, waving a hoof in the direction of a set of couches on the other side of the room.

"Actually, I'm here with a guest." Spike stated, to which Rarity turned around, her eyes growing slightly wide as she saw me beside Spike.

"Eclipsal! Dear, pardon my rudeness, I just did not see you as you came in." Rarity exclaimed as she put aside some fabric, and leaving the rest of it in the machine she was just using.

"You don't have to stop your work because of me; Spike just suggested that we come here so that somepony besides him knew I was okay, so you all wouldn't worry about me." I explained, to which Spike nodded his head.

"But it is just simply rude to ignore a guest when they have taken the time to come and visit you." Rarity stated, now walking over to a different table, and rifling around it. "Besides, I have something for you."

"Really?" I asked, my ears perking up.

"Why, yes. Twilight has decided that this year we will be going to the Grand Galloping Gala this year. So I've decided to make you a suit. Just let me find it…" She went through a few more items before she finally uttered, "Ah-hah!"

She pulled out what looked to be a black jacket, with some sort of teal gems placed where the buttons and cufflink should be. The ends of the jacket and the sleeves themselves were long, which made sense considering how tall I was.

She brought them to me with her magic. "Here. Try these on." She said, pointing to what I assumed was a dressing room.

I walked out of the room, feeling a bit awkward. "Isn't there supposed to be a bow or tie or something to go with this?"

"Ah, Eclipsal, here let me fix you up." She said, as she used her magic to unbutton the first button on the collar of my dress shirt, and then buttoned up the entirety of the jacket that was over the dress shirt.

"There you go!" She said, backing away and motioning me towards a mirror.

"Wow, okay, I look really awesome. I wasn't expecting that." I said, looking at myself in the mirror. The gems on the suit shined a bright dark color,

"Hah, you gotta have more faith in Rarity, Eclipsal." Spike said, looking at the outfit. "Those gems definitely look cool though. Where did you get them, Rarity?"

"The people in the Crystal Empire were nice enough to give me some gems after that entire fiasco a few months ago." Rarity explained, looking me up and down, obviously admiring her work.

"What's the Crystal Empire?" I asked them.

"It was this place that had disappeared for a thousand years because of this evil king guy. Thanks to me though, we were able to save the day!" Spike said, puffing out his chest.

Rarity snickered and said, "Yes, if it wasn't for our dear little Spikey Wikey here, I fear that Equestria might have fallen into darkness."

"Kinda weird how everything that's happened in the history of Equestria happened a thousand years ago, though." I said, thinking back to something Twilight said about Nightmare Moon.

"Huh. I guess so." Spike said. "Never really thought about it like that."

"Anyway," Rarity began, bringing our attention back to her. "Twilight had me keep the tickets this year since she would be busy. So here you go Eclipsal."

Rarity levitated a golden ticket to me, which I grabbed with my own magic.

"Thanks, Rarity. Do you think you could keep the suit for now? I wouldn't want it to get messed up before the Gala." I explained.

"Why of course, Eclipsal. Just come back and get it before we go." She said. "Oh; and I'll be sure to tell everypony you're just fine."

We said our goodbyes to Rarity, walking out of the building.

The sun looked as though it was beginning to set now.

"Wow, time went by rather fast, huh?" I said, looking up at the sky.

Spike let out a yawn. "Yeah, I guess so."

"You feeling tired?" I asked him.

"Yeah.. I didn't get much sleep last night."

I looked him over again, now paying more attention to his details. There were bags under his eyes, and he looked like his pose wasn't as prideful as usual.

"Here." I said, picking him up with my magic and dropping him on my back. "Let's get you back to the library, okay?"

"Ah.. thanks, Eclipsal." Spike replied.

I had to let out a small laugh at how he fell asleep before we even got back to the library.

I went inside, and carried Spike off to his bed on the upper floor. Twilight still wasn't back, so I decided to leave before she did, to avoid her questioning where I've been. Thankfully, Rarity didn't. But Twilight? She probably wouldn't let me leave without answers.

I walked out the door to the library.

Ponyville was on fire.

Author's Note:

(A/N) Okay, so there should be two chapters going up at once. Or in a few hours, I think. I'm trying, I really am. I uploaded this as soon as I finished it. Sorry for it being short, but it will make sense in the next chapter.