• Published 3rd Apr 2012
  • 2,551 Views, 93 Comments

A Dark Shade of the Past - InfinityBreach



You can't always judge a book by its cover. When you meet someone who controls darkness though...

  • ...
5
 93
 2,551

Hearth's Warring Eve

A Dark Shade of the Past
by InfinityBreach

Chapter 44: Hearth's Warring Eve

"So, what stuff does Pinkie have today?" I asked Rarity, who seemed to be looking around for our pink friend.

All of a sudden, she popped out from behind the food, eating a cupcake. As she munched on it, she looked at us, and asked. "Ehh… what's up, horse?"

Rarity rushed up to her, then turned to me. "Eclipsal, you go take a seat. I'll be back with something in a second."

I walked up to a table next to the window, looking around. Even though there was supposed to be some deals here, nopony else was here eating anything. Rarity, Pinkie and I were the only ones there.

As Rarity got the food, I heard her tell Pinkie, "Thanks again for this. I think this one is the one."

She must've gotten her favorite food, or something. I looked out the window, and saw the lights of the library on through the falling snow. I smiled, thinking of the fun Twilight and Spike are probably having right now.

Thinking back to yesterday, I remembered that Twilight was going to go and see Discord and Fluttershy today. Does that mean Spike's alone at the library? Poor guy. Maybe I should ask Rarity if we can visit him after we finish eating.

On cue, Pinkie walked up to the table, placing down a gigantic milkshake, with Rarity sitting down on the other side.

"Woah." I muttered, looking at it. It was at least the size of four of my hooves. I have no idea how Pinkie was even able to carry it here… it looked heavy.

"How are we supposed to eat this?" I asked, looking at the monstrousity topped with whipped cream, chocolate syrup, strawberries, and other fruits I didn't even know the name of. "I don't even think I could eat half of it…"

"That's the point, silly!" Pinkie exclaimed, tapping me on the nose. "You're supposed to share it!" She then threw two straws in the air which landed in the milkshake, one facing me, and the other Rarity.

"ENJOY!" Pinkie yelled, before disappearing.

Rarity had already begun to sip the sweet solid-liquid combination, as I stared at it. "This thing is huge."

Rarity removed herself from her straw and began speaking. "Yes, it quite is. Usually I wouldn't fill myself up with something as fattening as this, but it is a special day, and this is delicious, so I'll let it pass. Go ahead, you dig in too!"

I smiled up at her, and began drinking the milkshake aswell.

*Ponyville Library*

Spike awoke from his nap, yawning and stretching. He shivered at how cold the library was. Getting up, but keeping his trusty blanket on him, he stood up.

"Hey Twilight, do you think you could turn up the heat?" He shouted to wherever his caretaker was.

His eyes widened, as he realized what day it was. "IT'S HEARTH'S WARMING EVE!" He yelled, jetting down stairs.

As he got to the bottom floor, he stood in shock as none of the decorations were placed, and no presents were to be seen. "Hey, Twilight! You aren't fooling me! I know you got me something!"

Spike looked around the library, before seeing a lonely note on the table. He walked up to it, making sure his blanket was secure around his shoulders, and grabbed the note.

Dear Spike,

I'll be heading to Fluttershy's for the morning. Be back before night.

-Twilight

Spike read the letter, before sighing. "I guess she forgot what day it is…"

He looked towards the fireplace, to see that it was in fact going. Deciding that he had better stay warm, he walked over to it, sitting down next to the source of heat.

Bringing his knees up to his chest, he looked into the fire, the silence of the library toying with him. "I think this is my the first time I've woken up alone on a holiday without Twilight." Spike muttered.

She left you all alone, on a day meant for being with loved ones.

Spike gazed into the fire, before looking down at the note. He sighed, tossing it in with a flick.

Does she even love you?

"Of course she does." Spike told the voice in his head. "She always has. She's a bit of an egghead, and a forgetful nutcase, but she's my best friend."

Then why are you alone?

"Because she forgot." Spike laughed a bit. "She forgets a lot of things. That's why she usually has a checklist. Then when things get too out of control for a checklist, she scraps it for a few weeks until everything is settled. Hay, even one time she forgot her own birthday!"

The voice disappeared after that, apparently giving up on messing with Spike for now.

Spike sat for a few minutes, enjoying the peace of the fire. He then breathed out a small plume of fire, to see if it had changed back to green yet. It hadn't.

Growing tired of sitting in one place, Spike got up to check on the gifts he saved. Walking up to a bookcase, he removed two books, then pulled out two gifts; one for Twilight, and one for Rarity.

He looked at Twilight's gift, smiling. "I'm sure she'll love this." Spike muttered to himself. Turning to Rarity's gift, he let out a sigh.

"Stupid storm… if it wasn't for it, I would've been able to give this to her." He grumbled.

He walked over to the window, looking over the town that he had lived in for years now.

"Maybe I can just give this to Rarity after the snow clears up. Yeah." Spike smiled, looking out at the parade of lights that decorated the homes of the ponies he lived alongside.

A flash of light out of the corner of his eyes made him look at the source of it. A pony was walking out of Sugarcube Corner.

There was Rarity. Sweet, beautiful, Rarity.

Spike couldn't help but sigh, as his heart fluttered a bit. "Maybe one day I can finally tell her how I feel…"

As Spike humored his thoughts, he noticed another figure walking out of the shop with her.

It was Eclipsal.

*Eclipsal's POV*

I walked out of Sugarcube Corner, joining Rarity outside. "I gotta admit Rarity, that was pretty fun."

"It was, wasn't it?" Rarity smiled. "We should do this again some time."

"Yeah, we should." I smiled back at her.

I heard Rarity give a small gasp, and looked to see that she was staring above us. Following her sight, I saw a red berry-type thing hanging above us, with a few leafs attached to it.

I tilted my head at the strange plant. "What is that?"

"It's called a mistletoe." Rarity stated, continuing to stare at it. "It's a major part of Hearth's Warming Eve tradition."

"Oh?" I looked at it more curiously now. "What is it used for, then?"

Rarity looked down at me, and I looked back at her. Her eyes widened, and she looked away. I noticed her cheeks begin to shine like a ruby.

Rarity began speaking in a whisper. "Well, you see…"

I wasn't able to hear her, so I moved a bit closer to her.

Her face brightened even more, as she continued. "Ponies place mistletoes all around during this time of year. If you find yourself under a mistletoe with somepony…

…you have to kiss them."

I jumped back slightly in shock, as I felt my own face begin to heat up.

Rarity glanced at me, looking as if she was hurt. "Do… do you not want to kiss me?"

"No, no, it's not that… I just wasn't expecting for that to be what a mistletoe was for." I told her, rubbing my hoof on the back of my neck.

"So… how about we kiss then?" Rarity asked me, moving closer to me.

"O-okay." I nervously replied.

She closed her eyes, slightly puckering her lips.

I slowly leaned in, even though something felt wrong about this entire situation.

Spike liked Rarity.

But I didn't like Rarity. Not the way that he did.

I closed my eyes, the distance between out lips growing smaller and smaller.

I don't want to turn down Rarity, because this IS a tradition… but I also don't want to do this.

I could feel Rarity's breath, along with her aura. We were mere centimeters away.

This isn't fair to Spike at all.

An explosion occurred, and I could feel debree fall around Rarity and I.

We pulled away from eachother in shock, looking to the source of the blast.

I looked at the library, but couldn't believe my eyes.

"Oh Celestia, no…" I heard Rarity mutter.

A roar echoed throughout the area.

"T-there's no way." I whispered. "There's no way that's…"

*The Library*

Spike.

"No. No. No. Nope." Spike defiantly stated, watching the scene before him. "There is no way that Eclipsal would do this. He knows that I like Rarity."

Maybe he just doesn't care about your feelings? I mean look at Rarity; you've made it obvious you like her, and what has she to reciprocate your emotions?

"She… Rarity…"

She has done nothing. She's led you on, and has never told you how she's felt. She's used you for her own needs, and has never given you anything in return.

"But she gave me that ruby…"

Oh? The one she gave you for your BIRTHDAY? When you are SUPPOSED to get gifts?

Spike began holding his head in his hands, as his entire body began shaking.

"Shut up… I know she cares… I know they all care about me…"

And how many times have they invited you somewhere? Barely any. How many times have you been left in the library while everypony went and had fun?

Spike bared his fangs, the pulsing in his head hurting more and more.

"Shut… up…"

Let's face it, Spike. Nopony would ever love you. Don't believe me? Look outside.

Spike peeked open one eye, looking out the window.

Rarity and Eclipsal were slowly moving towards eachother.

"No…" Spike muttered, shocked that his friend would do this. "No…"

You must fight for those you care for, Spike.

"NO!" Spike yelled. "I WON'T LISTEN TO YOU!"

If you don't do this, you're only proving me right. Nopony could ever love a dragon. What a ridiculous notion.

Spike looked one last time at the doors of Sugarcube Corner, his sight boiling over into red as their lips grew even closer.

You must defeat Eclipsal. You must stop this from happening. You must cause war to retrieve your love. And that one horse is the one thing getting in your way. Do whatever you can to stop him. Besides…

A deep growl flowed out of Spike's mouth as his body began to mold itself into something else.

…all's fair in love and war.

The voice let out a harsh laugh, as it watched Spike grow larger and larger, shattering the library to pieces.

"The first job is done."

*Eclipsal's POV*

"Rarity! You have to get out of here, and tell the others!" I yelled to her.

"Eclipsal, I've dealt with this before. I know how to fix this." She exclaimed, walking up to the massive dragon.

I cursed under my breath, having a feeling this wouldn't work.

"Spike!" Rarity yelled up to him, catching his attention. "Spike! It's me, Rarity. You need to calm down!"

Spike glanced down at Rarity, recognizing her. His green eyes flashed red in an instant, and I watched in horror as he breathed in.

"RARITY!" I shouted, jumping between them and summoning a shield up with my magic.

A jet of flames flew from Spike's mouth, encompassing the entire area with his blaze.

As the fire beat down on my shield, I could feel the heat inside of it increasing rapidly. Thankfully he stopped after a few moments.

Breathing heavily, I looked over to Rarity, taking note of the circle around us that was once snow was now burnt ashes. "Rarity, will you listen to me now, and get everypony?"

Rarity nodded her head, backing away slowly before running back into Sugarcube Corner.

I looked up to see Spike, glaring down at me.

Standing on my hindhooves, I prepared for a fight.

"I don't know what did this to you, Spike… but I've got to find away to protect everypony." I muttered to myself, watching as black sparks encompassed my body.

I let my magic flow freely through me.

*Road to Ponyville*

Applejack looked to the town she had lived in all of her life, watching as flashes of light shined through the blizzard.

"What the hay is goin on down there…?" She wondered aloud, as Big Mac continued attempting to fix a fence behind them.

Finally fed up with wondering, she decided to take action. "Big Mac, I'ma goin down there to see what's happenin. Take care of the farm, alright?"

Big Mac nodded his head, watching as his little sister galloped down the road to their hometown.

Applejack got to the crossroads before seeing two of her friends running towards her, with Discord flying higher above them, melting the snow as they walked. "Girls? Discord? What the hay is going on?"

Twilight and Discord continued without stopping, while Fluttershy stopped momentarily.

"Spike's in trouble, and we need to get down there! Discord is melting the snow in front of us so we can get there quickly." Fluttershy explained. "Now let's go!"

Applejack nodded her head, and began following the trail Discord had made for them.

Meanwhile, Twilight could only think about the safety of her assistant. She never liked the idea of him being in danger, which was why he wasn't on a lot of their journeys.

But now, somepony or something has put him in danger, and she would not let him get hurt. No, not her Spike.

Fire stopped appearing in front of her, which made her look up to Discord in confusion. "Why did you stop?"

He stared down, then back towards the town. "All the snow here on out is already gone…"

Twilight looked on in disbelief, and found out what the source of the lost snow was.

There stood her dragon, in something akin to his greed-growth form, except… horrifying.

Spikes rolled down his back, with three of them protruding on each of his sides. The scales on him were shining with how sleek they were, making it seem like thousands of spades encased his body. His eyes were glowing a fierce red, and fangs were showing even with his mouth closed. His razor sharp claws swung around in the air as if he was trying to escape something, then Twilight realized there was a set of black chains binding him to where he was.

Spike's tail lifted off of the ground, at the edge of it a sphere with multiple points coming out of it, and made a massive swing which whipped up a large gust of wind.

Twilight lifted up her hoof and saw a black shape fly past her.

*Eclipsal's POV*

I tumbled down the street, feeling every part of my body hurt as I rolled through.

After I finally stopped, I began to get back up, taking note of my left back leg which was feeling swollen.

I looked up at the rampaging dragon, as he continued wrecking the library.

"Ugh, my magic must have gotten disconnected…" I muttered, taking in a deep breath. "Gotta make sure he doesn't hurt anypony…"

"Eclipsal?"

I glanced to where I heard the voice, and saw Twilight with a concerned look on her face, with the other ponies around her, minus Rainbow and Rarity. "Eclipsal, what's going on?! What happened to Spike?"

"I don't know." I told her. "Everything was normal, and then the library's roof exploded with giant Spike coming out of it! And where's Rarity?"

"Rarity went to get some of the gems back at her place!" Pinkie exclaimed. "Maybe she plans on making Spike happy with a crystal cupcake! Oh, but I wonder why Spike is so big and scary like last time? Maybe it's because he saw Eclipsal and Rarity under the mistletoe and got all jealous and.." Twilight put her hoof over Pinkie's mouth, ceasing her from talking.

"You kissed Rarity?!" Twilight shouted, disbelief on her face.

"No, no, no!" I muttered, trying to put my words correctly. "We were under a mistletoe and that's a tradition right? So I didn't want to hurt Rarity's feelings so I was going to do it but it felt wrong because Spike likes Rarity and I know that but still I didn't.." This time, Twilight put a hoof to my mouth.

"I understand what you're trying to say, and I think I know what happened. Spike must have seen what was happening, and gotten enraged by it." Twilight explained to us. "You see, dragons have many forms of which they can unnaturally grow as…"

"…known as the seven deadly sins." Discord stated, finishing Twilight's sentence. "The singular forms of them being wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy, and gluttony."

Twilight glanced at Discord, before continuing. "Yes, and most of you have seen his greed form, from back when he tried to take everything and claim it as his own. Dragons who completely succumb to a sin, which are most dragons, end up being the ones with hordes. Gluttony takes anything that is magical and consumes it, envy steals things that other's treasure because it has nothing special, lust steals a town's most attractive females, pride fights a town's best warriors and keeps the loser's armor or bodies, and sloth sticks to the area where it went through the growth which slowly kills out the plant and animal life around it."

"You forgot one last thing, Twilight." Discord stated. "The reason why it's called the deadly sins. Once a dragon changes, it literally breaks it's soul until something important to it pieces the soul back together. Which is why wrath is the most difficult to return back to normal. Because it's a blind anger; it won't recognize any material important to it. More importantly, the longer their soul remains broken the less likely they'll be able to return back to normal…"

Twilight's eyes widened in fear. "I didn't know that happened…"

"All the more reason to keep him from hurting anypony." I stated, turning to the gigantic dragon. "I'll keep him distracted; you all come up with something… anything… to return him to normal."

I galloped towards the wreckage of the library, hearing somepony yell at me, but it was too late for me to do anything, since I was noticed by Spike already.

*The others*

The ponies watched as Eclipsal ran off to contain Spike.

Discord grimaced, looking towards the retreating black stallion. "Wait!"

Eclipsal didn't turn back, and continued to distract Spike just as he promised.

"Ugh…" Discord groaned. "This is bad…"

"What do you know that we don't, Discord?" Applejack asked him.

"Spike isn't a sin right now, he's mixed with multiple sins." Discord explained.

"How is that even possible?!" Twilight yelled in frustration.

"Normally, this shouldn't be possible. Dragons just don't work like in this way. War did this. I could feel him connecting with something else… but it was when it was too late that I realized who it was. He probably used his darkness to breach Spike's own mind."

"Woah, woah, hold up pardner. Who's this War fella?" Applejack asked.

"You know Victory, right? The one who takes over ponies because of how much control you all have?" Discord asked, getting a nod from her. "Imagine another version of her, except a male who manipulates dragons because of the amount of destruction they create."

"Makes sense ta me." Applejack stated. "Question is, how do we stop Spike?"

"Find something incredibly important to him." Discord replied, looking on the scene.

"The only thing I can think of would be Rarity… especially since we aren't allowed to give him big gifts anymore…" Fluttershy said.

"Pffft, you don't think Rarity already tried that?" Pinkie told them. "She went up to Spike and was all like, 'This isn't you, you know who you are!' but then he was like nope and Eclipsal jumped between them and threw up a shield right as these flames slammed down on them!"

"Okay, that means Rarity is out…" Applejack muttered to herself.

Twilight had been deep in thought, trying to figure out what could fix all of this.

"He needs to be reminded of who he was… something important to him…"

Twilight's eyes widened as she came to a realization. "The memory spell!" She whispered, a smile dancing on her face.

She got up, and began running towards her assistant. "I know the perfect spell for this!"

*Eclipsal's POV*

I got flung once more away from Spike, hitting a light pole. Getting up, I was sure that I had at least fractured something.

"Well, let's try this again!" I yelled, slamming my hooves on the ground. My magic extended from it, becoming chains which once again surrounded Spike. This time, he shattered the magic without any resistance.

I gasped for breath, exhausted from trying to hold back my friend. "I… I don't know if I can do this."

"Don't worry, Eclipsal. I'll take over from here."

I turned my head to see Twilight run past me, straight at Spike.

"Twilight, what are you going to do?" I yelled to her, as she stopped running and faced the dragon.

"I'm going to use the same spell I've used before to make him remember who he is!" Twilight replied back to me.

My eyes widened in terror as I figured out the one flaw in Twilight's plan. "TWILIGHT, GET OUT OF THERE! YOU STILL CAN'T USE MAGIC!"

This registered with her immediately, washing away the confidence in her face with one of pure fright.

Twilight was frozen with fear, as Spike had recognized the next target of his rampage.

He slowly stalked towards her, his slit eyes glowing a harsher red then before.

I jumped from my position, despite my body beginning to give up on me.

Running right next to Spike, I pushed against the ground as hard as I could, jumping onto Spike's back.

I slammed my hooves down into him, letting my magic coat his entire body.

"I won't let you hurt Twilight!" I groaned.

Nausea and dizziness from overexertion was starting to set in.

With my magic all around him, I pulled him backwards.

He was still moving forward.

Twilight stood in front of him, paralyzed.

Spike let out a bellowing roar, his arm moving behind him.

I was horrified as I saw his arm then fling itself toward Twilight, claw outstretched.

"Twilight, move! I can't hold him back!" I shouted to her.

I could tell that my yelling wasn't enough to snap her out of it.

* . . . *

'Spike…'

'Why would you let this happen to you?'

'Why wouldn't you talk to me about it?'

'I've always been here for you, haven't I?'

'And no matter where I am, you know I still care about you.'

I stared at his face, enraged red eyes meeting mine.

'Where are you, Spike?'

'This isn't you.'

Spike reached his arm back, then shot it forward.

"Spike, please come back home." Twilight whispered aloud.

Spike's claw stopped a inches away from it's target, as his eyes began to flash green and red.

"Please…" Twilight muttered, nuzzling her head against her best friend's claw.

The red in the dragon's red eyes flashed once more.

Twilight saw her reflection in them, and saw the tears rolling down her face.

The red eyes immediately flickered to green.

Spike's body began to shrink, until it was back to what it used to be.

He quickly ran over to her, wrapping his arms around her.

She wrapped her own hooves around him in return.

"Shh… it's all okay now. You're fine, you're fine." Twilight whispered to him, as he openly sobbed into her.

"I… I wrecked our home… I hurt Eclipsal… I tried to burn Rarity… I-I n-nearly hurt y-you…" Spike muttered, his tears soaking Twilight's coat.

"It's fine. We'll fix it. Together, like always." Twilight smiled, pulling him in closer.

The others walked up to him, joining on a group hug.

Applejack looked up, to see Eclipsal still a few feet away. "Hey, getcher flank over here, Eclipsal!"

Pinkie broke away from the hug, and hopped over to Eclipsal. "Come on, silly! It's time to join our friends."

"Get… away…" Eclipsal growled, underneath his breath.

"Are you… okay?" Pinkie asked, gingerly touching his side.

His head shot up, causing Pinkie to step back in shock.

What his eyes showed caused her to scream.

One of his eyes was the same color. The same serene blue that he had always known it to be.

But the other eye was blood red, and not just the iris.

The entire eye was red, and Pinkie looked into it.

Pinkie began walking backwards in fear. "No… no… I-I just wanted to make everypony happy…"

Tears started streaming down her face. "Granny Pie don't… p-please don't leave me here…"

Rarity walked around the corner, and dropped her basket as soon as she saw the scene.

Dark shades of Eclipsal's magic were rushing around him, Pinkie was curled up a few feet from her, and the others were standing in shock.

Rarity ran up to Pinkie, trying to snap her out of it. "Pinkie? Pinkie?"

Pinkie's eyes were filled with green, and red circles encompassed her pupils.

"G-giggle at th-the ghostly… guffaw at the g-grossly…" Pinkie chanted, bringing herself closer together.

Discord flew up to Eclipsal, grabbing his hooves. "Eclipsal, listen to me. Give me some of your magic."

Two red eyes stared up at Discord. "It's… dangerous… get away…"

Discord glared at Eclipsal in disapproval. Then Discord let out a sigh, turning back around. "Twilight, be a dear and come over here."

Twilight curiously pulled away from the group, walking up to Discord and Eclipsal.

Discord looked intently at her for a few moments before speaking. "Twilight, what have you learned about dealing with a friend with a heavy burden?"

Twilight glanced between the two, before reciting a letter she had remembered sending before. She closed her eyes, and began talking. "Dear Princess Celestia, my friend Applejack is the best friend a pony could ever have, and she's always there to help anypony. The only trouble is, when she needs help she finds it hard to accept it. So while friendship is about giving of ourselves to friends, it's also about accepting what our friends have to offer. Your faithful student, Twilight Sparkle."

"Perfect example, Twilight." Discord said, turning back to Eclipsal. "Now, you. You're in pain. You are being burdened by darkness, and the only way you can be helped is by trusting what I'm saying. You have to give me some of your magic, before you lose control."

Eclipsal stared at Discord, before turning his gaze to Twilight.

"If you don't trust him, then trust me, Eclipsal." Twilight smiled.

Eclipsal let out a painful sigh. "I'll… I'll give it to Twilight. I trust her."

Discord flinched, before letting out his own sigh. "…Fine."

Discord then grabbed Eclipsal's hooves, and put them around Twilight. "Now you two… hug."

The two began to ascend into the sky, shrouded in a set of black clouds, sparks appearing from within them. As suddenly as they were there, the clouds disappeared.

The two fell apart from eachother, hitting the ground simultaneously.

Twilight's horn sparked a dark purple, with pitch black smoke replacing her usual aura.

Eclipsal's own magic was now normal again.

*Eclipsal's POV*

I slowly got back up, despite my pained body.

"I definitely feel a bit better." I said, smiling. "Thanks, you two."

"What are friends for?" Twilight replied.

I turned my head to where Pinkie and Rarity were. Pinkie's eyes were no longer glowing, but her mane was completely deflated, and her back was shifting up and down from her continuing to quietly sob.

"Pinkie… I'm sorry that happened…" I said, walking up to her.

She took her head out of her hooves to look at me. I watched as her eyes shrunk down in fear.

"MONSTER!" She yelled, throwing Rarity off of her, and rushing into Sugarcube Corner.

I froze, watching her go.

"Well… looks like I've lost another friend." I whispered to myself.

"You still have us, Eclipsal." Twilight said, walking to me.

"Yeah, that's true I guess…" I sullenly replied, turning to everypony.

Discord hovered in the air, looking down at all of us. "I'm sure Pinkie will be okay after a good night's rest. There's no way to keep that girl down."

"But still…" Discord looked at Spike. "You all fought darkness without any magic whatsoever, and won…"

"That's not true." Spike told him. "The only reason I stopped was because I knew out of any pony in the entire world, I knew there was one I could never hurt. The magic of friendship saved me, simply because of how deep the lines run between Twilight and I."

Twilight smiled at her assistant, as Discord stared in awe.

"Friendship is magic…" Discord said to himself. "Maybe Tia was finally right about something."

"Either way, I think that's enough excitement for tonight." Twilight told everypony. "We should all go back home and spend time with our families."

"I agree with Twi'. I'm figurin you'll all need a rest from today. Come on, Eclipsal, let's head back to the barn." Applejack said.

I began walking to her, when I remembered something. "Ah, give me one second." I turned back around, and headed to Rarity's basket.

Within it held a red heart-shaped gem, with a golden collar attached to it.

I walked up to Rarity, and put the basket down at her hooves.

"Before I go, I just wanted to tell you something." I said, which made Rarity brighten up a bit.

"It wouldn't work out." I explained, to which Rarity became sullen again. "I really did enjoy the time I had with you tonight; as a friend. But maybe you should reevaluate who you like, and find your special someone who adores you as much as you would like."

I nudged the basket a bit more closer to her. "The one you're looking for might be closer than you think." With that, I turned around and headed to Applejack.

Passing by Spike, I patted him on the back. "She's all yours, buddy." I whispered to him.

I said my goodbyes to everypony, and Applejack and I headed back home.

*An hour later in the library*

Spike was asleep, since it had been a long day. Twilight talked to him about what happened, and he instantly forgave Eclipsal.

Spike also told her of the voice that was in his head, causing him to change in the first place. Twilight could easily tell it was War, just as Discord had stated before.

Now, Twilight stood in the main room of the library. She intently stared at a book sitting at the table.

Focusing everything she had into her horn, she began to levitate the book into the air. Smoke rose from it as she moved it towards her.

She stopped the magic, flinching from the pain of it.

"This is definitely what I thought it was." Twilight muttered, feeling her horn. "Dark magic."

Twilight stared out her window. "It should be enough to fix the weather, though."

Then she let out a sigh.

"From what I know, there should be only a handful of beings able to use it. But only one horse." Twilight said to herself. "Is it even possible that Eclipsal is really…?"

Laughter has been silenced.

Author's Note:

(A/N) Okay I have multiple things I need to say, so here goes.

1. I need an editor. Or editors. Whoever would be willing to help make this story better. So please, if you'd like to be an editor, just say so! I really just need help fine-tuning the story, especially the first few chapters. Any help would be appreciated!

2. So this took a while to write, mainly because of it's length. I mean 5,000+ words hooooly crap. I even thought of splitting the chapter into two, but decided against it since technically the day was split in two.

3. I redid all the chapters up until now(which is also why this took FOREVER to release), so that I could hopefully have the story submitted to EQD, but the first few chapters didn't pass the cut, and now I have one strike. Which is why I want editors to help me out!

4. By the way... this is either the end of Arc Two, or the next chapter will be the end of it. Leave me some critiques on what you've thought of it so far, or any questions you might have, and I'll answer them in the next chapter!

5. Also in case if anyone was wondering, I've moved the authors notes to the bottom of the chapter for multiple reasons that I am too lazy to list! :D

Now, onto the reviews!

FanFiction:

GAMMA DAWN14- Thank you for telling me that the review button was messed up because I was really beginning to wonder why I wasn't getting as many reviews as usual. I really appreciate it :)

Jacob shives- I really like the way you worded this. Yeah pretty much everything up till now has been getting to know what was happening and solving the mystery... but now... the end is nigh. Or neigh. Whichever you prefer!

FiMFiction:

Telly Vision- Would you say he felt a disturbance in the horse?

SpikeDark- Poor Spike... D:

Veralin- Mainly Discord was able to feel Spike was in danger, because Discord was able to feel what War was doing, since he was once a part of him.

Dainn- Yeah, I'm pretty sure no one saw this plot twist coming. I've been trying to keep secret about it so that there would be this sudden realization and everyone would freak out! Only question left is, what is the apocalypse for the pony world?