• Published 3rd Apr 2012
  • 2,555 Views, 93 Comments

A Dark Shade of the Past - InfinityBreach



You can't always judge a book by its cover. When you meet someone who controls darkness though...

  • ...
5
 93
 2,555

Shadows of Memory

A Dark Shade of the Past
by InfinityBreach

Chapter 8: Shadows of Memory

I shook my head, walking out of the doors of the hospital. 'I doubt I'll forget that look Fluttershy gave me for a while…' I shivered a little. Rainbow looked at me and put her hoof around my back as if she understood what I was thinking.

Fluttershy trotted along a little bit ahead of us, obviously happy that the doctor said I was fit for doing anything now. I was happy about that too, but the way she got us to the hospital… I don't want to see that stare again.

After a few minutes of walking, Fluttershy suddenly turned around. "We're here!" she stated happily. I looked around, and saw no real building nearby.

"We're… where?" I asked.

"We're at Twilight's house." Rainbow said. "It's this tree."

I looked at the tree that was a few feet from us, and facehoofed. "Wow, how did I not recognize a door and everything attached to the tree?" I shook my head, feeling dumb.

The tree was far from a normal looking tree, which is what I originally thought it was. We were standing next to the front door, which had steps leading up to it, and bushes on both sides. There was a window on the side of the building, and a sign next to the bush on the left that had a book on it.

I didn't really know what that meant, but didn't have time to dwell on the thought as I heard Rainbow Dash knocking on the door.

From inside the building, I heard somepony yell, "OH FOR CELESTIA'S SAKE IT'S A LIBRARY!"

I flinched and took a few steps backwards from the sound of annoyance and anger that the voice held.

"Are you sure she can help me…?" I questioned.

Fluttershy vigorously nodded her head, and opened the door, her and Rainbow Dash walking inside.

I stood back outside for a few seconds, before deciding to go in myself.

Inside of the building was a huge assortment of books, the shelves were all filled up, and there were even some books scattered on the floor.

"Twilight! Where are you?" Rainbow yelled.

"I'm right here, geez." I heard from above me.

I looked up, and saw a purple mare with stripes of dark purple and light purple in her mane. She was at the top of a flight of stairs, looking down upon us.

"Who is this?" she asked, walking down the stairs.

"Well that's the reason we are here Twilight," explained Rainbow Dash.

"We found this pony out in the terrible storm last night. The poor thing lost his memories, and we came here hoping you could use some spell to help him." Fluttershy finished.

"Let me think…" said Twilight, deep in thought.

All of a sudden various books began flying off the shelves, and towards her. I was shocked and took a few steps back, not really knowing what was happening.

Twilight scanned through the titles of the books, then finally her eyes widened, and she said, "Here we go! A book about amnesia."

She began looking through the book, darting her eyes around the pages. She looked up and said, "This looks relatively simple."

"So… you can help me get back my memories?" I asked, surprised. "How?"

"Well-," Twilight began. "Keep it simple egghead." Rainbow Dash interrupted. After giving a quick glare at Rainbow, she began again. "Well, to put it simply, I'm going to cast a spell on you that should unlock all the memories trapped in your mind."

"A spell? How can you do that?" I asked.

"In Equestria, there's a race of ponies known as Unicorns that can use magic. There's also Earth Ponies, and Pegasi. Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy are the latter." She stated.

I felt my head pounding again, and let out a loud groan. I started swaying back and forth, losing my balance. "Fluttershy… my head…" I muttered. Fluttershy came over and positioned herself next to me, putting her wing around me to help me keep my balance.

"Twilight, this happened last night too. Do you know what's wrong?" Fluttershy asked.

Twilight took another glance at the book, and said, "Well it says here that people who have amnesia often hear or see things that can trigger their memories. I guess there must be something here and at your house that his past self remembers."

Rainbow butted in, saying, "Well who gives a flying hay at this point? Twilight, fix him up so he stops getting those wicked headaches!"

Twilight nodded, and her horn lit up, and a magical aura surrounded me. I was being lifted into the air, by the looks of it.

I closed my eyes, waiting for my memories to come back. I could feel a tingling sensation in my head. Maybe that was the spell working?

All of a sudden, I opened my eyes, feeling a blast of energy surge through me. I tried speaking, but couldn't say anything. The shadows in the room began to move, seeming to float from the ground, like a fire would. Twilight was in front of me, her eyes closed tight, trying to keep a hold of the spell.

Next thing I know, Twilight is being blasted backwards, and the magic around me shattered like fragile glass. I collapsed on the floor, not being able to move. Fluttershy ran up to me, and Rainbow ran up to Twilight. "What the hay just happened? Twilight? Twilight?!" Rainbow yelled.

I heard a grumble, and Twilight slowly got up. "Ugh… I wasn't expecting this." Twilight said.

With Fluttershy helping me up on my hooves, I successfully got up. "What… what happened?" I asked.

"That happened." Twilight replied, pointing at the shadows across the room. "This makes no sense. Earth Ponies aren't supposed to have magic!"

My eyes widened. "I.. I have magic?"

"Yes… you do. When I tried to use a spell on you, your magic unconsciously forced my magic away, trying to protect you." She said, rubbing her flank. "Ow…"

"I'm sorry! I swear I didn't mean to hurt you!" I apologized, backing away in sadness.

Twilight looked at me and smiled. "Don't worry about it. I accidentaly turned my parents into plants because of my magic. All you need is a little bit of control over it."

"So… what now?" Fluttershy asked.

"Well… whoever this pony is, I can't get him back his memories. Sorry." Twilight said.

"Well we are going to need something to call you!" Rainbow said. Then she rushed towards me, and began examining me.

I stood there, feeling weird about being stared at by her. She was examining something on my flank.

"Well, I got nothing. Twilight, Fluttershy, come here and tell me what you think about his cutie mark."

"A cutie mark?" I asked.

"It's a mark ponies get on their flanks when they find what their special talent is." Twilight explained, as she walked towards me.

I turned my head around looking at my flank. "It looks like a black circle in a white circle. What does that mean?" I asked.

Twilight and Fluttershy were examining my cutie mark. "This looks so beautiful. If you look closely it's almost like there's a light on your flank that's being covered by that black circle." Fluttershy stated.

"Maybe your real cutie mark is under it, and the black circle represents your amnesia." Twilight suggested.

"I actually thought it looked like the eclipse we saw a while back." Rainbow Dash threw in.

Twilight nodded her head. "Let's see. You have a strange magic that seems to work with shadows… and your cutie mark looks like an eclipse."

"So how about…" Rainbow Dash began.

Then all at once they said,

"Eclipsal Shade!"

Author's Note:

(A/N) Wassup everypony! I just saw the Royal Wedding, and I must say... IT WAS AWESOME. I thought it would be pretty cool, but it ended up being 20% cooler then I thought. On a side note, I'm sorry for not posting a chapter earlier, but I've been busy as heck this week. We've been studying for exams that we are having starting on Monday. So yeah. On another side note, I am a part of the brony group that's at my school. I'm not obsessive over the show or anything, but its cool being able to talk about a show with other people! ^-^

From FanFiction:

N/A

From FiMFiction:

Morfonious: Glad to see my story interested you enough to want to see where this goes.