• Published 3rd Apr 2012
  • 2,555 Views, 93 Comments

A Dark Shade of the Past - InfinityBreach



You can't always judge a book by its cover. When you meet someone who controls darkness though...

  • ...
5
 93
 2,555

Uncontrollable

A Dark Shade of the Past
by InfinityBreach

Chapter 16: Uncontrollable

The next morning, I was awake quite early. Don't ask me why, but it felt like something important was going to happen today. I walked out of my barn-house and stretched, taking in the fresh morning air.

The smell of crisp and clear nature somehow brought a smile to my face. 'I guess waking up early does have a few quirks.' I thought to myself.

I looked up towards the sun, barely beginning to rise over the horizon, and decided that since it would be a little bit until the Apple's started the work that they would need me for, I would take walk to Ponyville to pass the time.

I walked through the streets of Ponyville, watching as many of the venders were beginning to set up shop. 'I guess everypony has to get up early to make a living.'

Walking past the hard working vendors, I saw Sugarcube Corner around the bend. Remembering the amazing party last night, I also realized I never gave Pinkie a thank you for it. Better late than never though.

Walking into the store, I saw it was pretty empty, except for one pony by the register. I guess most ponies don't want sweets for breakfast.

I slowly trotted up behind the pony in front of the register, waiting for her to finish her order so I could ask for Pinkie. I saw a light blue pony with a pink swirly mane behind the register, taking the order.

"That will be 2 bits, dearie." Said the blue pony.

"Thank you for the muffins!" said the pony in front of me.

When the pony in front of me turned around, I could feel my head beginning to hurt. She was light grey, and had bubbles as her cutie mark. Her blonde mane was covering part of her face for a second, but then moved out of the way as she looked at me. Her eyes were practically gold, but unlike a normal pony's eyes, hers looked in different directions.

I continued to stare at her, my head pounding against my skull. She was looking at me too, her eyes slowly turning to look and focus at one direction: me.

As her eyes were completely focused on me, they widened in shock. I then noticed her wings attached to her body twitching.

"Darkie?" she asked me, reaching a hoof out to touch my face.

The touch felt so familiar, so relaxing, but I had no idea who the pony in front of me was. I could feel the pain in my head dissipating, like her presence was healing me.

I stared at her, feeling as though there was nothing else I could do. Tears started forming at the corners of her eyes, as she wrapped her hooves protectively around me. I could feel a tear slowly slide itself down my cheek, as my body hugged her back, me being completely unable to control my body.

At that very moment, Pinkie walked down the stairs, her face beaming with happiness, until she saw me hugging the grey mare in front of me.

"Ditzy? What are you doing hugging Eclipsal?" Pinkie asked her, looking confused.

"E..e..Eclipsal?" Ditzy asked, letting go to look at me. She studied me for a second, then closed her eyes, to wipe away her tears. "I'm… I'm sorry. You just look like someone I used to know."

Pinkie then interrupted her to say, "Well he could still be! Eclipsal here lost his memories a few days ago."

"No.. there is no way he could be the one I knew.." she replyed solemnly.

"How do you know that, Ditzy?" Pinkie pushed for an answer.

"Because… he died. He died a long time ago." She said, shaking her head.

She opened her eyes, and they were back to looking in different directions. She now looked back to being the happiest mare in the world, from before she looked at me.

"Well, I oughta go now! Mail doesn't deliver itself you know! I'll see ya later Pinkie, and you too Eclipsal!"

Then she was gone, flying out of the bakery to go do her job, from what I could tell.

"Who was that?" I asked Pinkie. "That's Ditzy, of course! She delivers mail to everypony across Equestria! She's really nice too, although a bit of a klutz at times." Pinkie said, skipping up to me.

I stared walked up to the window, and watched as Ditzy's figure grew smaller in the distance.

Obviously trying to get my mind off of what happened, Pinkie decided to ask me why I showed up at Sugarcube Corner so early this morning.

"I just wanted to thank you for the party last night." I told her, smiling. "Being welcomed to Ponyville like that really made me happy."

Pinkie looked at me with an overjoyed look in her eyes, and grabbed my hoof in hers, then looked at me straight in the eyes, and said, "You are absolutely welcome, Eclipsal! Making everypony happy is what I have always thrived for!"

Her ears perked up for a second, like she remembered something, and then she disappeared into the store, telling me to wait there for a second. She returned with a box, which was wrapped in paper, with a bow sitting on top of it.

"What is this?" I asked Pinkie.

"It's a 'Welcome to Ponyville' gift! I found it while cleaning last night, and forgot to give it to you, hehe." Pinkie said, giggling in embarrassment.

"Oh, why thank you, Pinkie." I said, carefully taking the box, and balancing it on my back.

I then heard a voice coming from the behind the counter. The blue pony who was taking orders earlier was getting Pinkie's attention. "Pinkie, I need your help!"

"Well, I gotta go and get started on work, Eclipsal. I'll see you later!" Pinkie told me, as she began bouncing off to the kitchen.

I walked out of Sugarcube Corner, deciding it was late enough to start the trek back to Sweet Apple Acres.

Walking the path to the acres again, I took in how peaceful and serene it was. I don't know how to explain it, but it gave me a sense of… safety.

I finally got to the gate that lead to the front of the yard, and saw Applejack and Big Mac up and working already. I quickly rushed back to the building I called home now, and safely tucked away the gift in the corner, then ran back outside to help the Apple's with their morning duties.

Even though I finished all the harvesting the other day, there are still other things the Apple's need help with. Feeding the animals, collecting wood, doing some land work, and planting more apple trees. It leaves me tired as heck, unfortunately.

So when Applejack told me that we had finished the work day, I was extremely relieved.

"Huff… huff… I'm so exhausted!" I said, flopping down in the grass.

"Heheh, well ya might be pretty dang strong Eclipsal, but ya aint got a whole lotta endurance on ya." Applejack said, sitting down next to my unmoving form.

"So, Applejack, what do you have planned for the rest of the day?" I asked her, wondering what she did outside of work.

"Well, I'm gonna go to the fancy-shmancy spa down in Ponyville with Rarity and Fluttershy later. In fact, any minute now I oughta start getting ready ta head out." She replyed. "What about you, Eclipsal?"

I thought about it for a moment, tapping my hoof on my chin. "I honestly have no idea. I mean I guess I could go see Twilight, to see if she has figured out anything about me."

"Well then, you should walk ta Ponyville with me!" Applejack suggested, beginning to get up.

"Ugh, five more minutes please." I whined, trying to get as much relaxation as I could before I got up.

Applejack laughed, and said, "Well, if ya won't get up and come with me, then I might as well just leave ya here. I imagine the walk alone from here to Ponyville won't be TO boring."

I sighed, and slowly got up. "Fine, we might as well go." I said, mentally wishing I could have stayed on that patch of grass all day.

After I parted ways with Applejack as she headed for the spa, I made my way to Twilight's house. I opened the door to the library, and took a look inside.

'Wow, was it this dirty last time I was here?' I asked myself. There were notes and books sprawled out all over the floor, some stacked as high as me.

I saw Spike on a ladder, putting away some of the books that were on the ground.

"Hey, Spike!" I said.

He turned to me, and then gave me a smile. "Oh hey, Eclipsal! Nice to see you again."

"May I ask what happened in here?" I questioned as I walked in, shutting the door behind me.

Spike let out a sigh. "Twilight was up all last night studying something. She never cleans up her messes, so I'm stuck doing that myself."

'To think, one mare could cause this much damage…' I thought to myself.

"Well, would you like some help?" I asked Spike.

"Definitely!" he said, looking a bit relieved.

"So how do I order out these books?" I asked Spike.

"Well I have them organized by author, A-Z." he replied.

"What about the notes?" I asked again, looking at the random chicken scratch in front of me.

"Just stack them up somewhere. Twilight usually organizes those." He said, putting more books away.

'Well… here goes nothing.' I thought to myself, looking down at my hooves. They began to glow black, which made it look like shadows were coming out of them. I tapped them on the ground, and watched as the shadow flew throughout the floor of the room, and limbs erupted from it, grabbing the books and putting them in their rightful place.

"WOAH!" Spike yelled out in awe, watching as I was putting away everything with ease.

There was a bang from upstairs, and some hoofsteps. Then, Twilight appeared at the top of the stairs, mumbling.

"Spike… don't be so loud when I'm trying to sleep…" she mumbled quietly. Then as I was finishing stacking the last bits of paper, Twilight's eyes widened in recognition.

"Wow, Eclipsal! You're getting great with your magic!" she shouted, as the shadow throughout the room began to retreat back to me.

"Heheh, thanks Twilight! I owe you for it, anyway." I smiled at her. She returned my smile with a sheepish one of her own.

"So anyway, what brings you here today?" she asked, walking down the stairs.

"Actually I was wondering if you figured out anything new about me." I replied.

"Is that what you were studying last night, Twilight?" Spike asked.

"Yes, to both of you." Twilight said, suddenly putting on a serious face.

"Is something the matter?" I wondered.

"Yes. You see, I looked into the thing about you and Rarity's cutie marks glowing. It came up with interesting results." She said, walking over to her notes.

"I've found out that when two ponies who were never supposed to meet, do in fact meet, that their cutie marks will show a response to both of them." Then, she let out a sigh. "This troubles me though…"

"Why?" Spike and I asked, simultaneously.

"Spike… remember whenever I was around Princess Celestia, and both of our cutie marks would shine?" Twilight asked him.

"Oh, yeah! I do remember that!" He said in realization. "Except, it's more like they would glitter, or glisten. Not really 'shine'."

Twilight nodded her head. "When I was a foal staying at the castle, she always told me that it was because we had a deep connection that made our cutie marks resonate. This book says otherwise though…"

She shook her head, as if trying to get a thought out of her mind.

"The point is, there is something wrong with this picture. I don't entirely know what it is, but we need to find all the pieces so we can figure out this puzzle."

I nodded my head in agreement. "So then, what do you suggest we do?" I asked her.

"Well, first thing we should do is check out where you first appeared. Right by Fluttershy's house, at the edge of Everfree forest."

Author's Note:

(A/N) Sorry for not updating for a long time, everypony! I've had finals, exams, projects, and a whole lot of stuff to take care of the past few weeks, and I almost failed the school year, so I wasn't able to make time to write this because of how busy I was! I feel like a horrible author for not updating in so long ;-; sorry, again. Anyway, be sure to R&R, and enjoy this 2000 word chapter I wrote for you guys as an apology!

From FanFiction:

Supreme Phoenix King: Sorry for not updating sooner ;-;

From FiMFiction:

valientfan25: My goal is to make every chapter fully awesome, then.