• Published 6th May 2014
  • 981 Views, 8 Comments

Of Apples and Cherries - Astropony



While AJ and CJ celebrate one year of marriage, they reflect back on how they got to where they are.

  • ...
6
 8
 981

Chapter 7: Actions Have Consequences (Part 1)

Author's Note:

Wow, we're into the 4th month of 2015 and now I get a new chapter up. For the few of you paying attention, I have a lot of things happening starting in May so updates will be fewer. In fact, I am considering cancelling this until I can get this the time it deserves. Until then, here's the next chapter of the Applejack/Cherry Jubilee saga.

Chapter 7—Actions Have Consequences (Part 1)

Hey y'all, this is Cherry still at the helm. Since we're finally about to arrive in Ponyville, it looks like AJ and I have just enough time to mention what happens after our first romp in the sack. While I was talking about our first time, I forgot to mention that AJ said those three magic words for the first time while in the glow: “I love you.” Naturally, I replied the same and well, yeah, we were now a couple. Of course, in Dodge Junction, we tried our hardest to keep it a secret—that meant no open displays of affection and we had to stay professional while on the job. Applejack didn't care for it, but I had to remind her that most people here don't accept people like me willingly (yes, that meant the townsfolk didn't know I'm gay) and who knows what would happen if they knew. She accepted it, but I knew she didn't want to keep our relationship hidden. Neither did I, but I felt that it was for the best for both of us.

I think it may have been a disgruntled help that did it, but word got out that AJ and I were a happy couple with emphasis on our age difference. “MADAM JUBILEE DATES YOUNG CO-WORKER” was the popular headline shortly after. To say I was furious was an understatement. With what little time is left for this train to arrive, I guess I can tell you about what we had to go through in Dodge Junction. AJ tells me that she had her problems back in Ponyville, but I'll let her discuss that.

Before I go on, I want to say that although Ponyville is tolerant to everyone, Dodge Junction is not the same. In fact, most people tend to think a certain way and those who don't are not are, shall we say, not treated nice. However, I could be considered an exception because of my position. See, the wares from my cherries are the primary source of income of this small town. It's why I've never really left for greener pastures—that, and I've lived here much of my life. Without it, this town would have likely died out ages ago. Despite that, I've always been hesitant to come out about my preferences. I've feared that the people would not react in kindly way and it came to light when word got out about me and Applejack. It also spread a term that makes me quite uncomfortable and a term I hoped I would never hear--”cougar”.

The word got out about AJ and me only about a couple of weeks after we started dating—you gotta remember this was well over a year ago now. But it wasn't until days later that it got to its worst. It started with some people looking at me like I had a third eye on my face and others scowling. Naturally, this also made Applejack uncomfortable as well. “Why are people acting like that to us? What did we do wrong?”, she asked me.

My reply was, at the time, the only reply I had. “Sugar, things may be different where you come from, but here, people don't treat those who prefer the same gender as them well. Thankfully, it doesn't get too bad—gettin' beaten up and all that—but it does make things uncomfortable. Now that everyone knows I'm gay, who knows what they'll do. I've already been called a cougar and..”

“Cougar? They think you're a big cat or something? I'm sorry to ask, but...”

“No, it's fine, you didn't know. In this case, it means an older woman who goes after someone much younger. And since you're younger than me, I guess that could apply to me. But I ask that you please don't call me that. I hate that term so much that if anyone calls me that in the orchard, they will be fired on the spot.”

That last sentence was said with so much venom that I think I scared Applejack if her reaction was any indication. “I'm sorry, Cherry. I'll be sure not to say that, Apple's honor.”

I smiled and gave her a kiss on the check. “Thanks, sugar. But I gotta get take care of this before it gets worse. Oh, on a different note, I found out my brother is coming to town.”

“Brother? You have a brother?”

Yep. Name's Cherry Fizzy, but I call him Fizz. He should be in town in a couple of days, but he didn't tell me why.”

From there, I told AJ about my little brother before I sent her to give the orchard a once over while I went to Mayor Horizon's office. I do apologize for being brief, but the train's about to arrive in Ponyville and I need to wrap this up quick.

I should say that when I go to the Mayor's office, I'm usually given his time due to my status. I don't have to wait to see him, but I can't help but feel bad for those to are waiting. I've even gone as far as to wait for my turn so anyone before me can see him. On the day I was upset, there was thankfully nobody in his office, otherwise they would have to have waited longer until I was done.

Mayor Horizon is a rather old fellow, but we're on good terms although this time was rather rocky. At this time, I was so angry that I threw the door open with all my might. Looking back, I was rather surprised that A) I didn't break the door and B) gave the guy a heart attack. But I did give the old guy quite a scare when I went in.

“Oh..uh..Miss Jubilee,” he stammered, “ehm..what can I do...for...you?”

“Cut the crap! I think you know damn well why I'm here! You and I both know that my cherries is what's keeping this town from becoming an attraction for ghost town tourists. Now unless you want to head up a town of just you, I would suggest you listen to what I have to say.”

“Alright Miss Jubilee, calm down. I've heard bits and pieces of what's supposedly happening. Could you at least fill me in on the missing parts?”

I took a deep breath and took a long pause to regain my composure. Looking back at it, it wasn't the best way to go through with this, but then again, one's mind doesn't think rationally under anger. “Okay, sorry about the commotion. But you probably know about me with one of my workers. And yes, she and I are indeed dating. But what gets me mad is how people here are taking it. I knew there would be some that didn't agree with my way of living, but this...”

“So you're telling me you're...uhm..”

Horizon was clearly uncomfortable with saying it, so I said it for him. “Yes, I'm gay—a lesbian as many would call it. I kept it a secret since I knew something like this would happen.”

“Oh well, I see..”

“But what I'm getting is nothing short of harassment. I can get past the leery eyes and the snorting, but when people start calling me a cougar and even attacking the girl I love, that's too far. I even had to have my help brush off the side of my orchard office since someone defiled it with words I don't wish to repeat here. Now you and I both know my cherries bring in much of this town's income and without it, this place would be a tourist attraction for ghost town explorers. And unless you wish to run an abandoned town, you best do something about this harassment we're getting. All AJ and I want is to run the orchard and be treated like everyone else, not some kind of freaks. Can I assume I'll have your cooperation on this?”

The mayor's face formed a look of thought. “I'll do what I can, but you know that I can't tell everyone how to behave. But I'll try to make the bullying stop as much as I can.”

I gave him my thanks and returned to the orchard. To be honest, I knew I really wasn't going to get much, but it was better than letting this torment continue and possibly driving everything away from me, even the one I love. I am glad to say that Horizon apparently did his job since the harassment has since toned down(but never completely stopped) to tolerable levels. Heck, you should see Applejack when she gets angry at people who mock us, which I admit is rare. I swear one day AJ's gonna turn green and start smashing everything in sight.

I guess that's really all I can say about that. Oh, I did mention that I had a younger brother so I guess I should talk about him. As I said, his name is Cherry Fizzy, but I call him Fizz. He lives in Canterlot running a food store there---and yes, I do sell my cherries to him. He may be my brother, but even he has to work with me on that, although I do give him a family discount.

On a side note, people have a hard time believing we're related due to him not having red hair. His hair is black and he tends to keep it slicked back and that's why people think we're not related despite having “Cherry” in our names.

It wasn't long before he contacted me about what was happening here at home and asked to stop by for a few days. It was just your usual brother and sister time with only one real issue had and I guess I could discuss that here even though we're about to arrive in Ponyville.

Fizz arrived by coach with me and Applejack waiting for him. When he got off, I introduced him to AJ and he had a look of surprise on his face despite me telling him about her. I knew somehow that this was what we were going to to talk about. We headed to my home and I gave Fizz the guest room—AJ and I were sleeping together by this time. The next day, Fizz had asked if the two of us could talk about what was happening. I knew I couldn't avoid it and I wanted to get it over with so I told Applejack about what was happening. AJ mentioned she was going to clean up the orchard and headed off leaving us alone.

When my little brother and I were alone, he started the conversation. “So that's Applejack, huh? I must say that she's indeed the girl you told me about.”

“Thanks, Fizz. At least someone thinks well of her. But I have to ask: Why did you really come down here? I know it isn't a courtesy visit this time.”

Fizz let out a sigh at that question. I knew then that I had figured out why he came down. “Well, see Jub...”

Oh, I forgot to mention that my brother tends to call me “Jub” for short. It's a sibling thing as some of you out there may know. Anyways...

“...you probably figured out why I'm here. I heard about what happened to you here and had to see it for myself. I know you can handle it, but you know I can't help but worry about my big sister sometimes. So tell me, how did you meet Applejack?”

“We met at the Canterlot rodeo a while back and you should have seen her perform. I tell ya, I've never seen someone win so many medals. But when I met her, she wasn't happy 'cause she didn't win a first place in anything. She said she needed money for her home so I asked her to join the orchard.”

“Interesting. So what happened to cause you two to become more than friends?”

“Well, we just started talking and found each others company, well, since I can't think of anything better, nice. I guess it just built up and when we went to Las Pegasus, that was when we took it to the next step. I know it's hard to believe Fizz, but when I first saw her, I couldn't stop thinking of her. I had actually given up hope until she came by my booth.”

At this point, I found Fizz rubbing his chin. When he does this, it shows he's taken everything in and trying to come up with something in response. It was only a minute or two, but it seemed longer to me. “So it was love at first sight, I see. If I may, could I ask how old she is?”

I was afraid he would ask that, but I couldn't lie to my own brother—I guess AJ's honesty rubbed off on me—so I knew I had to face the music. “She'll be 22 in a couple of months.”

“I see. And you're...?”

I replied with a meek, “42.”

“You know you brought this whole cougar thing on yourself, right? I'm having a hard time accepting that fact you're dating someone so young that she may as well be your daughter. Jub, you know I've always had your back. I was with you when decided to stay in Dodge Junction to keep the orchard. When you came out to Mom and Dad, I had your back. But I just don't know about this. I can't help but think this is affecting you both somehow. I know it's none of my business, but I think you two should maybe reconsider your relationship, especially if she's going to be going home any day.”

I knew he meant well, but Fizz really got under my skin at this time. I had to turn away to keep from exploding at him and making things worse. When I got my composure, I turned around and spoke while trying to keep my cool. “You're right Fizz, it is none of your business. Apple and I discussed this and she made it clear she was accepting of our age difference. I'm a big girl and I can make my own decisions. I know you only want what's best for me and I appreciate it, but you really need to let us figure it out on our own. Trust me when I say we'll find a way and I'll let you know what happens, ok? Please Fizz, trust me on this one.”

After what seemingly felt like hours, Fizz gave his answer. “Okay, I'll leave it to you. I know you'll work this all out. After all, you didn't get to where you are by being foolish. Just let me know what happens, ok?”

“I will.” I gave Fizz a hug of appreciation for all he's done. “I know it wasn't easy, but thanks for understanding.”

“Anytime, sis. I don't have much time left so how about we have a good time? And I would like to get to know your girl better.”

I quickly agreed and we finished our time together by having a party at the orchard. And in case y'all were wondering, Fizz and AJ got along well. I knew then that maybe things weren't going to be so bad.

Well, it looks like we're coming up on Ponyville. I think there's enough time to let Applejack tell her issues so I'll let her explain it to you.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment