• Published 6th May 2014
  • 981 Views, 8 Comments

Of Apples and Cherries - Astropony



While AJ and CJ celebrate one year of marriage, they reflect back on how they got to where they are.

  • ...
6
 8
 981

Chapter 5: Adjustments

Chapter 5—Adjustments

Oh, hey there, sugarcubes, it's Applejack again. It looks I'll be taking over again since Cherry has decided to get some rest. I'll be honest with y'all, she didn't sleep all that well last night so she deserves this. I'll let her sleep for the rest of the trip back. Speaking of which, it looks like the train will be going again shortly so we should get to Ponyville within time.

I see CJ told you about my arrival in Dodge Junction and about that cherry incident. I was really hoping she wouldn't tell you about it, but I guess that did have a say in what would happen later. So now you're wondering what would happen later, I assume. Well, that's a story in itself, but I think it would be appropriate if I told you about how adjusted to life in a place I never knew existed until I got there.

I don't think I need to tell any of you that it felt weird being in a strange place for more than a couple of days. But I knew I had to tough it out until I got the money needed to fix Town Hall back home. Being the person I am, I had to show a face of toughness when I was around others, but when I was alone, I have to admit that I was a bit scared to be away from home for such a time. I often wondered how the chores would be done and if Applebloom and Big McIntosh alone would be enough. But I had to keep my promise and not come back until I got that money.

Now I know y'all were told about how Cherry and I met and how I accepted her offer to work for her, so I won't repeat that. But I can tell you about my side of the time when Cherry kissed my nose. She said she did it to get me off her and I took it at that, but I had a feeling that there was something she wasn't telling me. Before that moment, I thought I was noticing her looking at me in a way that would say “more than a friend”. I shrugged it off since I had better things to worrying about, but I did admit to myself that Cherry was easy on the eyes. I also admit that while I have looked at Rarity and Fluttershy with wandering eyes, but Cherry was something different and not just because she was older. There was something about her figure and her manners, but that's for another time.

I'm sorry, I seem to be prattling on. I do seem to do that from time to time. What else could I talk about? To be simple, life at Cherry's ranch was almost being back home. I made some friends with some of the workers before they left for their homes. In the meantime, I kept myself busy by tending to the cherry trees not only to get them ready for market, but also to not think of those medals that sat in my quarters. In fact, it got to the point that I would often forget to take my breaks. Cherry would always arrive and let me know to take my breaks. She would even grab my hand and practically drag me to the mess hall. As she has said before, she would sit with me and we wold talk about our lives. It was during those discussions that I really got to know Cherry and starting to feel something else about her. But as you've all guessed, I didn't want to listen to that part of me. And ad you've also guessed, that part of me would eventually win out.

There was one conversation that I do recall with one of the last people to be at the ranch before the off-season. I guess this would be a discussion that would get me on the path to where I am today.

It took place about a month or two after I arrived. This was one of the few times that I remembered to take my break. I remember having cherry fritters for lunch and until that time, I thought fritters only came in apple. To be honest, they were really good. Anyway, this guy comes up to me and starts the conversation. I remember him being quite lean and tall with white wings that would have made Rainbow Dash envious.

“Hey, you're Applejack, right? Mind if I sit with ya?”

“No, I don't mind, go ahead.” I swear that as soon as he sat, I felt the bench lift up a couple of inches. Of course, that could have just been me being tired from the harvesting.

“Nice to meet you, Applejack. I'm Lean, Lean Biceps. May I ask where you're from?”

“I'm from Ponyville.”

“Ponyville? I've heard of the place. Is it really as quiet as I hear it is?”

“Well, it depends on what you mean by 'quiet'. So where are you from?”

“Cloudsdale, but I moved to Phillydephia a few years back. Say, you haven't happen to run into my cousin Bulk, have ya? He's still in Cloudsdale, but he tells me he comes to Ponyville on occasion.”

“Uh, no, can't say I have.”

“I guess not. You would have definitely known if you did. Let's just say he's....different. I love him and all, but sometimes, I can't believe we're related.”

I couldn’t' help but let out a chuckle when I heard that. I sometimes think that about my siblings and wonder if I was adopted.

“Hey, are you the Applejack, as in the Applejack that brought back Princess Luna with others?”

“Uh, yeah, I'm that Applejack,” I reply back to him. At this point, I began to see a look of his face that looks like he saw a big name celebrity. Now I've never considered myself anyone like that. I've always seen myself as a simple farm girl and nothing more. Lean did ask for my autograph, but I politely turned him down. After that, there was some discussion about him heading back home as that day was his last. Also, it turned out after he departs, I will be the only worker left. I told him I would have gone back home, but I need to get some money first. Lean was a bit confused, but he appeared to understand. But after a time, he brought up something that got my attention....or rather, someone.

“So tell me, what do you think of Miss Jubilee?”

I admit I was quite shocked when Lean asked me that. “Uhm,” I managed to stutter, “well, she is rather nice. I mean, she did take me in and helped me to fit in here.”

Lean let out a small chuckle at this point. “That is true from what I hear. What I meant is how you feel about her? I've seen you two together a lot lately.”

“No, no, not like that. As I said, I've never been here before and she's only showing me around. I swear nothing's going on.”

“Well then, I guess I was letting my mind run away from me. I meant no harm, I was only trying to lighten the mood. But you gotta admit she's a looker.” It was then that the hall door opened and in came that familiar mass of red hair. “Uhm, I really need to get going or I'll be late for my train. Nice meeting you, Applejack. Maybe we meet again.” Lean got up and as he walked out, he gave Cherry a quick nod. Now that I think of it, I wonder where Lean is and how he's doing.

So where was I? Oh yeah, Cherry coming up and sitting next to me. I didn't know it the time, but this would set into motion the events that would cause our lives to intertwine.

“Hiya, AJ. Well, I've got some news for you.”

“What is it? Oh, these cherry fritters are delicious. Its' been a while since I've liked anything that didn't have apples in it.”

“Thanks. I make sure only the best of my cherries are used in them. But anyway, as you know, you're the only worker left. Now I would usually send you home at this point...”

“But I don't have the money yet. I can't possibly...”

“That's why I'm asking you to come with me in my home. It will certainly be better than living alone in the orchard. And don't you worry, I can find things for you to do to get your bits. You'll have that money in no time...but...”

“But what?” I noticed a look of sadness in her face. I thought it was maybe me imagining things, but it was fairly obvious. I started to think Lean was on to something. Perhaps CJ saw me as something more than a friend. But like the first time around, I pushed it off as something else. Perhaps if I didn't do so...

“I would be a mite lonely. But I've done this dance before, so..”

“With all due respect Miss Jubilee, please don't play that act. I've seen my little sister do that and it wasn't funny. I'll come live with you. I'm sure it'll be like home again.”

Cherry let out a chuckle and offered an apology for her actions. “I'm really sorry for that. A lady my age shouldn't be acting like some little girl who wants attention. Now let's finish lunch and then get your stuff packed.”

There's not really much to say after this. I got my stuff and moved to Cherry's home. Let me tell y'all, that house is a big home. It felt like I stepped into the past. It had about everything you read about in western books—large rooms, pictures everywhere, and there were even(for lack of a better term) servants. I honestly didn't know why CJ needed these people. The only guess I had was that this house was so big that she needed the extra help. I got introduced to the help and made it clear that I didn't wish to be helped—I'm just not used to be waited upon. Even today, they let me do my own things. But the other thing is when I got to see my new sleeping area. I swear to y'all that this room could fit the kitchen from the farm and still have room to walk. I couldn't believe that this is a place where guests normally stay. If guests stay here, I could only wonder what her room was like—a wonder that would be answered in due time.

Long story short, after this move, my duties was essentially to assist Cherry with selling her cherries across Equestria. I have to say; I got to see sights that I thought I would never get to see—Baltimare, Las Pegasus, and even places I thought never existed. Oh, in case you were wondering, we never visited the Crystal Empire 'cause simply put, nobody knew it even existed. You have to remember that this all happened before we all found out about it.

The highlight to this was when we stayed in Las Pegasus. We were invited to a party that had a lot of Cherry's friends up top. Something very special happened there that began our time together. But I don't think I can talk about it well. Maybe I'll wake Cherry up and tell the tale. She can tell it far better then me.

Author's Note:

Here's another chapter, but I feel I rushed this one a bit. What do you think?
I have no idea how many chapters this will have nor how long this will take. But I hope you keep watching and comment if necessary.