• Published 4th May 2014
  • 596 Views, 8 Comments

Where I Am... - Ozark



A changeling wakes up in a hive that isn't her own...

  • ...
1
 8
 596

My name is Echo.

Now of course their whole hive couldn't fit in my room, and some of their eyes still haven't adjusted to the darkness, but the queen’s yellow eyes could see me and that is all that really mattered at the moment. The corner that I was in had some of the stickiness that the floor had, I could feel it slowly sticking my wings together and with my floor gone and a quite a bit of space under my already forty foot tall room, I couldn't afford to fall. I don’t know if the queen saw my flying fatigue, I can’t tell much about this hive.

The queen’s kind smile had turned cold with distrust, she must think I am some sort of infiltrator to her hive, and I doubt she would believe me if I said I wasn’t. I decided to make a direct approach, “Hello” I repeated with more confidence, “My name is Echo, and I don't mean any harm,”

The queen looked at me with no surprise in her golden eyes, just a steadily growing unrest towards my presence, “Why are you here? Why were you spying on my throne room?” She asked not convinced what-so-ever in my ‘I don't mean any harm’. I don't know how to respond to such a direct question, I haven't spoken to a queen before this, I have only barely seen my own.

“I wasn't spying on your throne room-“ I started.

“Then what were you doing here?”

“Im not sure ” I ask wondering how far I appeared from my hive, the hive I so desperately wanted to be in right now.

She raised an eyebrow at that, "Do you not know how you ended up here?"

"No, but I would really like to get back to my hive," I said not hiding the quiver that was starting to form in my voice. Her face softened a bit but stood uniformly firm.

"You will be kept here until my guards and I have had time to fully conclude you are not a spy," She said. The queen examined me quietly as an unearthly silence was sent through the cave, only the steady beats of wings could be heard, she turned to the two armored changelings on each side of her, "Take her too the holding rooms until I have time to talk to her."

"Yes my queen," the guard on her left answered deeply, in the layered changeling tongue. I flew away through the crowd with the guards, and felt a million pairs of eyes on my back as I became fully visible in the light.

We turned down a polished stone into a large room containing a few cells. The room was lit by an unknown source, with no light fixtures or mushrooms, the roomed seemed to be brightened by the air around it. The cells that lined the room, if you could call them that, were like old cages you would put a pet bird in. The each of the cages were suspended off the floor by thick chains, and were completed with a large shing gemstone set in the door, almost certainly a magic damping jewel.

"In here," one guard said pointing at the largest cage. My 'holding room' had a smooth pressed metal floor that matched the swirling bars of iron that were my walls. As I settled on the cold floor I automaticly felt the the surface tilt towards me. The bed in the middle of the room cell slid slightly as well. I flew over to the bed and sat on its grey sheets as the guards looked the doors and left the room.

I couldn't bring myself to terribly upset though, my wings had a time for me to rest and I had time to clean, what i now see was a sticky type of moss off them.I was finally out of that horrible prison, to unfortunatly be put in another.

Author's Note:

This chapter is also newly edited wooohooo

Comments ( 5 )

Do you realize that your cover picture is of the Crack from Doctor Who?

4453478 Yep it's intentional, I love doctor who :)

4453694
Is this story going to be a crossover? Or is the picture just a reference?

4453860 just a reference, it was supposed to show the light behind the dark rock, but when I saw a doctor who picture I couldn't resist. :)

4481037 thanks I will definitely get an editor :)

Login or register to comment