• Published 26th Mar 2014
  • 6,881 Views, 121 Comments

The Winner - ManicTrip



Spike wakes up one day feeling like a winner. To test his newfound winning abilities, he challenges Rainbow Dash and Applejack to a simple little game of Truth or Dare. What ensues will change the lives of the three forever.

  • ...
20
 121
 6,881

Truth or Dare: Part One

On a seemingly normal day like any other, Spike awoke in his comfy little basket feeling like a winner. He was beaming from ear to ear the moment he lifted his head off the pillow until the moment he left the Library. He didn’t quite understand it, but he couldn’t help trusting in his ability to win at anything he’d set his mind to. As he indulged in a morning stroll the young drake caught sight of a certain cyan pegasus suspended in the sky. She was in the middle of busily performing her daily flight exercises. While finding pleasure in the spectacle above, a grand idea came to him. He decided to follow through with his hunch and invite the pegasus to play a simple game of Truth or Dare.


He was correct in assuming she’d immediately accept his challenge. Rainbow Dash grinned at the dragon’s proposal, clearly taking it as another opportunity to show off her skills as a competitor.


Spike wasn’t completely satisfied with only one opponent, however. He figured he needed two individuals to face off with for his experiment to work. It didn’t take long for the two to reach out to the famous farm pony of Sweet Apple Acres. They discovered her bailing piles of hay in the barn house, and after a few minutes of discussion, Applejack considered their offer.

The Winner

“You can only choose truth two times in a row.” Rainbow Dash said excitedly. “And vice versa!”


“That’s the catch. So we don’t have to deal with anypony trying to avoid doing either dare or truth.” Spike chimed in.


“So that’s it? All I gotta do is keep up with you two until one of us loses out?” Applejack noted, rubbing at her chin in contemplation.


“Yup. That’s it.” Spike confirmed.


“Hah. Like either one of you could get me to forfeit my turn. Truth or Dare is my game. Nopony’s ever beaten me.” Rainbow smirked confidently. “Get ready to lose.”


“Uh, huh. Keep telling yourself that.” Spike chuckled. “You guys don’t know it, but I woke up today feeling pretty good. And nothing’s going to stop me from winning, not even you, Dash.”


“Hold on there, partner. Now ya ain’t forgetting ‘bout me, are ya? Cause’ I can’t recall ever losing a single truth or dare game in my life. I don’t know about Rainbow, but ya still got me to deal with.”


“You’re on board?” Spike’s eyes lit up, his excitement skyrocketing.


Applejack shrugged nonchalantly and sent her dragon pal an assuring smile. “Why not? You two caught me at a good time. I’m free the rest of the day, and this sounds like a bit of fun.”


“Alright! You see? I knew she’d be down to play.” Spike nudged Rainbow Dash softly with his elbow, clearly elated by the farm pony’s participation.


The sporty pegasus rolled her eyes. “You may be the Element of Honesty, but it’s totally obvious how much you’re lying through your teeth right now. No way have you never lost a game.”


“Ya think I’m lying? I thought ya knew me better than that.” Applejack argued. “I’ve always been gettin’ truth in the bag, and dare’s never been any trouble.”


“We’ll see.” Rainbow chided. “You’re facing off against me now. Your winning streak’s ending today.”


“Yes, we will see.” The earth pony remarked sternly. The competitive fires within her soul had been ignited. It wasn’t the first time she’d experienced an intense rivalry with the pegasus. Now was just another one of those instances.


Readying herself for the great battle that was sure to come, Applejack began promptly stretching her limbs.


Spike and Rainbow Dash followed the earth pony’s example and began stretching alongside each other. As the seconds ticked on the atmosphere enveloping around the three friends grew increasingly tense. The eve of a clash was one filled with concentration, strategizing and meticulous preparation. Truth or Dare was a trial measuring the limits of one’s physical and mental fortitude. Their wills were about to be tested, and the challenge ahead could very well push them to the breaking point.


They were all aware of this, yet it only proved to rouse their contending spirits. The game was about to begin.


“Is everypony ready?” Spike asked after everypony had finished their stretching exercises.


“Yup.”


“Come on, let’s start it! Who goes first?” Rainbow asked, her wings flapping animatedly.


“I’ll go first.” Spike announced as he raised his hand. “Applejack goes second, and, Dash, you go last. And guess what? I choose you.” He pointed a finger at the eager pegasus. “Truth or Dare?”


“Give me a dare! I dare you!” Rainbow hooted, placing her hooves at her sides.


“My, somepony’s got a sense of humor.” Applejack added sarcastically.


“Oh, shut up.” The pegasus waved a dismissive hoof, redirecting her attention to the baby dragon. “So what you got for me?”


“Applejack, can I borrow one of your ribbons?” Spike requested, already extending an open palm to receive it.


“Sure.” The pony undid her tail ribbon and tossed it. “What are ya gonna do with it?”


“I just need it for the day.” Spike stared at the blood orange strip in his hands, leering triumphantly. “Dash, I dare you to tie your mane into a ponytail.”


Rainbow scrunched up her face in disappointment. “What? That’s it? What kind of lame dare is that?”


“Heh. I don’t know. You look kinda hot with a ponytail.” Spike responded, his composure not faltering. “I’m into it, I guess.”


Applejack and Rainbow Dash both froze at the dragon's words. Their minds whirred, replaying the sudden comment over and over until they realized it had actually come from his mouth. Even Spike surprised himself, because he’d let out his inner musings without even a second thought. What mostly shocked the assistant was the fact that he’d enjoyed a sense of accomplishment right after having said it. There was no shame or embarrassment evident in his expression either, only the hints of a tiny smile creeping ever so widely. There wasn’t any doubt in his mind that he was a true winner, and he felt invigorated by the stunned looks the two ponies were giving him.


Damn, he felt good. Is this what it was like to be devoid of insecurities?


“Why are you guys looking at me like that?” Spike asked casually, feigning ignorance. “So do you forfeit or what?”


The ponies simultaneously gazed at each other, transmitting telepathic messages with their eyes. Rainbow wasn’t in the mood to deliberate on Spike’s weirdly phrased flattery, so she didn’t pay it anymore mind.


“You wish. Gimme that.” The pegasus swooped around the dragon, snatching the ribbon from his hands. It took a few seconds to tie her mane into a proper ponytail. She hated to admit it, but she felt oddly self-conscious as Spike stared admiringly at her, his eyes traveling over every inch of her body. It was almost making her uncomfortable.


Spike then nodded and brought his attention back to Applejack.


“It’s your turn, AJ.”


Applejack disregarded his previous compliment towards Rainbow Dash. Whatever that was, she didn’t want to be a part of it. Her mind was still on the game, and since it was her turn, she decided to also pick on her arch nemesis.


“Rainbow, truth or dare?”


“Don’t let me down. Give me a dare I can work with.”


She winked coyly, setting the foundation for her dastardly plan. “I dare you to buck thirty apple trees, and all of ‘em need to be free of apples.”


“Now that’s what I call a dare!” Rainbow shot a hoof into the air jubilantly. “You think bucking a few trees is going to tire me out? Not in this reality.”


The pegasus speedily exited the barn with her friends in tow. Positioning her hind legs against the first nearby tree, Rainbow bucked with all her might, the fruits of her labor dropping gracefully onto the pasture.


“That’s one. Twenty-nine to go.” Applejack called out, not in the least surprised by her friend’s ability to efficiently buck the apple trees.


“I know what you’re doing.” Spike said once the pegasus was out of earshot. He crossed his arms, eyeing Rainbow as she thrust her powerful legs into another tree. “This isn’t a plan to get her exhausted. You’re just having her work for free.”


“Why, Spike, how did ya ever come upon such a ridiculous idea?” The earth pony giggled, knowing she’d been found out. It was true that she’d been organizing all kinds of unpaid labor for Rainbow Dash to busy herself with while on the farm. She realized it was a sly move. But she could use the extra rest every once in a while. And if ‘truth or dare’ was her means to getting a little vacation time, then she’d be sure to take as much advantage of the situation.


“I like the way you think.” Spike praised. “But you’re making a mistake if you underestimate me as a fellow rival.”


“Is that right?” Applejack arched an eyebrow, intrigued. She wasn’t one to refuse fair contest. “Then how ‘bout showing me what you got, sugarcube?”


Spike simpered, a stir of passion boiling within. “Remember, you’re the one who asked.”


The earth pony observed the young drake, taking notice of the change in his demeanor. His posture was more upright, and his head was held high. After a quick study of his face, she wasn’t able to find the familiar, childlike innocence she’d often been accustomed to greeting. Instead he seemed more alert, as if his perception of the world had changed dramatically. The only way she could describe his fresh new look was one of maturity; one who not only understood his role but also accepted it. And as he gazed back at her, Applejack detected an unrecognizable pressure that she hadn’t been met with before. It was a bit awkward…a funny feeling she couldn’t shake away.


“DONE!” Rainbow Dash shouted, the last of the apples sprawled out at her hooves.


On cue, the pegasus rocketed back to where Spike and Applejack had been standing, her ponytail whipping her in the face as she made an abrupt halt. They laughed, much to Rainbow’s irritation. But it was her turn now! It was time to get the upper hoof in this game, and she was starting off with none other than the one player she felt actually stood a chance at beating her.


“Applejack! Truth or Dare!”


“I choose dare.” She replied quickly.


Rainbow already had one prepared for her. To the pegasus it was ultimately going to come down to a battle of brawn and physical endurance. In this case, she’d rather have the earth pony tuckered out first.


Rainbow pointed to the grass beneath her hooves. “Two hundred push-ups! Non-stop! Go!”


Applejack didn’t produce a single utterance as she dropped down on her hooves and began tearing out push-up after push-up. Within a matter of minutes she was done, and she’d only broken the sweat on her forehead.


She stood up and finally said, “Really? There’s no way I’d ever get tired before you do.”


“You wanna find out today then? Once and for all?” Rainbow huffed. “Keep daring me to do whatever you can think of! Just watch me!”


Spike chuckled as he gave Applejack a knowing look. She returned it with a smile of her own.


“Sure, once and for all.”


“Let’s do it!”


“Alright, alright. Before you guys start sweating waterfalls, it’s my turn.” Spike inputted. “Hmm. Applejack, truth or dare?”


“Guess I’ll go with another dare.” She shrugged lightly.


“Fine, but it’s truth for you next time.” He noted. “And I dare you to give me a kiss.”


TRUTH OR DARE: PART ONE

END

Author's Note:

Hope you guys enjoyed it. Any comments/feedback/criticism is greatly appreciated. I had a seriously fun time writing this, and I'm sure I'll have even more fun with the rest of the story.