• Published 14th Mar 2014
  • 2,886 Views, 224 Comments

The Alicorn Academy - kudzuhaiku



Four Alicorns, four students, each Alicorn taking on a personal protege, each with a different lesson to teach. What will the four students learn?

  • ...
15
 224
 2,886

Luna Delivers a Nightmare

Luna was exhausted. Much had happened lately. And things kept happening. She trotted upon the crystal walkway, approaching the Crystal Spire. She had flown here, without guards, bearing a message. A message she did not wish to deliver.

When the guards saw her, there was an explosion of activity. Shouts. Horns blowing. Luna hated all of it. It distracted her. Robbed her of her concentration. She had a job to do, and she had to maintain her composure. An unpleasant task lay ahead.

Ahead of her, she saw Shining Armor, wearing horn to hoof articulated mail. His hooffalls were heavy and clattered upon the crystalline walkway. Two alicorns came out of the wide double doors not too far behind him.

Luna continued forward.

Shining nodded, removing his helmet, holding it with his magic. He looked frazzled. His eyes were bloodshot. He, like so many others, had too many responsibilities.

Luna had too many responsibilities. A headache was beginning to build behind her horn.

Twilight Sparkle and Cadance approached.

“We were just about to dress my sister Twilight Sparkle in full articulated mail for the first time.” Shining said as Luna neared. “Cadance was trying to convince her that it is quite fashionable.”

Luna paused at hearing Shining’s words. Her composure cracked slightly.

“Princess Luna?” Shining Armor said, his voice cracking with worry.

“It is going to have to wait.” Luna said. “I am sorry.”

“Luna, what is wrong? Has something happened? Why am I not informed?” Shining said, concerned.

“We should go someplace private. All of us. Twilight is going to need you.” Luna said, her voice becoming cold and emotionless.

Later…

The four of them settled into Cadance’s private chambers. Luna refused food and drink, hoping to get right to the point. Shining was still wearing his armor. Twilight looked immensely worried. She reclined on a sofa, next to Cadance.

“Twilight, Celestia regrets that she could not come here to do this task. She could not. She has pressing issues to attend to, as I am sure you will understand once the situation has been made clear.” Luna took a deep breath.

Cadance wrapped a wing over Twilight.

“Prepare yourself Twilight Sparkle, I come as the bearer of bad news.” Luna said, her voice completely cold.

Twilight lifted her head. Her eyes wide, her ears forward, for a moment she looked quite noble and regal, finally comfortable in alicorn skin.

Luna took a very deep breath.

“Last night your friend Rarity was found. She was tied to a tree. She had been strangled, using magic, and a sign left around her neck saying ‘traitor.’ I regret to inform you that one of your friends has passed.” Luna closed her eyes.

Twilight said nothing. Her expression stony. There was no reaction at all.

“It gets worse.” Luna said.

Cadance made an odd sound in the back of her throat.

Shining looked away, out the window, his face sorrowful.

“Palus Somni and a group of guards investigated the Carousel Boutique, hoping to find clues. Upon entering, they set off a trap.”

Luna took a deep shuddering breath, emotion finally entering her voice.

“Nopony survived. The blast killed many. Including the mayor.”

“Oh.” Twilight said.

She said nothing else. She showed no sign of any sort of reaction at all. She sat there, staring ahead vacantly.

“Celestia is there now, trying to keep order.” Luna said.

“I see.” Said Twilight.

Cadance began to cry silently, causing Shining to grit his teeth.

“I suppose I am needed in Ponyville.” Twilight said dully. “There are many that are going to need me. My friends. What is left of them.” Twilight’s voice was utterly devoid of emotion.

“Let me guess,” said Shining, “Collective fliers were found around Rarity?”

“Yes.” Luna answered, not seeing the need to say anything else.

“Twilight, please stay a little longer. At least until I know that you are OK.” Cadance pleaded.

“I am fine Cadance. And I have duties. I have a schedule to keep. Every minute is precious and must be accounted for. I have no time to take a moment for my self.” Twilight said, her voice in a near monotone. “I’ll always have time for you Cadance, but I really must go.”

Luna could hear Shining Armor’s teeth grinding.

“Twilight, please, spend some time with Cadance and Shining. Celestia has the situation under control for the time being.” Luna said, her voice pleading.

“I am needed.” Twilight said flatly. “I would be remiss in my duties if I did not return home at once and help to restore order. Ponyville is my domain, and I have neglected it sorely, taking time off for some personal endeavours. It was time I could have spent better. A mistake has been made. I should go at once and rectify it.”

Twilight’s emotionless voice unhinged Luna, causing a great deal of worry. Twilight was a little too powerful. It wouldn’t do anypony any good to suddenly have the Princess of Magic have a screw loose.

Luna had expected some sort of reaction. A bad reaction. She was not expecting no reaction at all. Fear prickled through Luna’s belly. She began to notice a faint crackle in the air. A faint whiff of ozone.

Panic set in, burning through Luna’s mind. Better to over-react than to not react at all, she thought, which seemed ironic in this situation.

Luna’s horn gave a blinding flash...

And Twilight Sparkle found herself standing upon the moon.

She held her breath, knowing that there was no air here, until she heard Luna clearing her throat. How was that possible? There was no sound in space.

“Am I to remain here for the time being?” Twilight asked.

“I hope not.” Luna said. “We are going to need you.”

“Than why am I here?” Twilight asked, her voice still dead.

“I don’t need somepony with your raw magical abilities suddenly going barmy.” Luna said bluntly.

“I am in perfect control.” Twilight replied.

“I know,” said Luna, “and that bothers me. I expected some sort of reaction. Place yourself in my shoes.”

Twilight stood thoughtful for a moment, gazing out into the vast blackness of space.

“I suppose if I were you, I would be concerned as well, knowing how I usually react.” Twilight finally said.

Luna let out a deep breath with a heave. “I know about you and Phantom.” Luna said.

The corner of Twilight’s mouth twitched slightly and then went still. She resumed gazing into the blackness.

“Do you feel nothing?” Luna asked.

“Of course I feel something.” Twilight said. “The feelings are still there. I just can’t see the point in wasting time to express them.”

Luna felt a fresh wave of panic go tearing through her insides.

“I took some time for my self finally. I followed a friend’s advice. It did not end as I desired. A mistake has been made. One I do not intend to repeat. I will not be slack from my duties again.” Twilight turned her gaze upon Luna. “Please return me home. I cannot teleport that far.”

Oh, this is bad, Luna thought, casting a spell to send a message to her sister.

“Twilight, you shouldn’t hold this in. This will lead to disaster. Trust me, I know.” Luna said gently.

“I am strong enough to deal with it. I will not stumble in a moment of weakness as others have.” Twilight said.

The words stung. Luna felt hot anger rising up through her. She crammed it back down. She loved Twilight. And Twilight was not well. She would let this out later.

Luna gnawed her lip, not knowing what else to do. She could not bear to see her friend in pain and bottling things up, holding it in. It struck too close to home.

There was a pop.

Luna sighed with relief.

“TWILIGHT SPARKLE!” Celestia said in her strongest scolding tone.

Luna saw right away that it had an effect. Twilight cringed and looked guilty. Celestia had that effect on ponies. Celestia really needed a cutie mark in scolding. Whatever that might look like. Luna recalled that Celestia had done this once before, long ago, when Twilight had enchanted a doll and caused anarchy.

Celestia sat down upon the lunar surface, plopping her haunches down into the dust.

“YOU! GET OVER HERE, RIGHT NOW, THIS INSTANT!” Celestia commanded, pointing to the spot directly in front of her with her hoof.

Twilight did as she was told, walking like a foal scolded. Her wings dropped and drug along the ground, causing dust to swirl around the tips. She drug each hoof. Her nose almost touched the ground.

Luna cringed. She had been at the bad end of several of these. This was physically painful to watch.

Twilight reached the spot indicated and stood there.

“SIT DOWN. I WILL NOT ASK TWICE.” Celestia’s voice echoed through space. Several meteors found it prudent to cruise elsewhere.

Twilight sat down before her former teacher. She hung her head.

Celestia reached out with her foreleg, pulling Twilight in, crushing her against her chest.

Luna felt an enormous rush of relief as Twilight Sparkle began to cry.

Author's Note:

Ugh. Not sure if this turned out quite as I had hoped. I didn't want it to stretch for too long. It was intended as transition as I begin to reveal Brimstone's nemesis.