• Published 19th Feb 2014
  • 1,643 Views, 57 Comments

Lost with Friends: A New World - TheBronyMatrixFilms



After a camping trip gone wrong, four friends find themselves in a strange colorful world full of... ponies?

  • ...
6
 57
 1,643

Chapter 11: Jobs! DO YOU HAVE THEM!?

Chapter 11:

Jobs! DO YOU HAVE THEM!?

“I’m BORED!!”, I moaned.

“Then do something Leo”, said Twilight with a calm demeanor.

“There is nothing to do!”

“Why don’t you clean your room?”

“I already did”

“Living room?”

I gave a glance around the room, “It’s already clean”

“Kitchen?”

“Spike cleaned it”

“Bathroom?”

“Ew, and it’s already clean”

“Then do something productive, like read a book or something”

I gave a quick glance at the bookshelves that are around the living room. I know this place is also a library, but Twilight has bookshelves in almost every room in the home. I couldn’t be in a room without seeing a bookshelf.

“I don’t feel like reading today”

“Then stop complaining, I’m behind on something the princess wants me to do”

I groaned and decided to go out and walk around town. I went up to my room and grabbed my keys and anything else I usually bring when I leave the house.

“Twilight, I’m heading out!”

“Ok, just be back before dark!”

“Don’t worry about me Twi, I’ll be back”

Walking through town I greeted the ponies that waved at me. Reaching the marketplace I looked at the many stalls and stores. Most didn’t have anything that interested me, but on many stores had ‘HELP WANTED’ signs out front.

‘Huh, peopl- I mean ponies really need help recently’, I then shook my ever emptying pouch of bits and sighed, ‘I really need to get a job too, I hate mooching off Twilight’

Just then I saw Felipe, “Yo! Felipe!”.

He turned and saw me waving at him and walked over to where I was, “Hey Leo, what are you doing here?”

“Just walking around, nothing to do, you know same as back home. I was just thinking that I should get a job so I won’t be mooching off of Twi. What are you doing?”

“Looking for a job too”

“Huh” ‘coincidence much?’ “I thought that you helped Applejack at the farm, since you lived with her and her family right now”

“I don’t work there, I don’t like farming. I do chores, but that’s it”

“Well then… I guess we’re on the same boat here”, I said while I started to head in a random direction with him following next to me, “Why don’t we look for a job together, I’d rather have someone I know to work with me”

“Meh, why not”, he said with a shrug, “Where to first?”

I stopped and looked around spotting a couple of ‘HELP WANTED’ signs. I then set my sights upon a building that was in the shape of a jesters hat with a sign above the door that read: ‘Funny Bone’s Joke Shop’. “How bout’ that one first?”, I said pointing to the shop.

“Sure, why not?”

When we walked in the store a pair of bells hanged above to signal a customer, but instead of the Ding-dinga-ling chime that bells do, it did something… different.

AHOOGA! AHOOGA!

“Dafauq?”, said Felipe along with me saying, “The hell?”

“Welcome to Funny Bone’s Joke Shop! How may we tickle your funny bone?”

I quickly turned away from the strange sounding bells and faced the bone-white pony behind the counter, “Uh… Good morning sir, uh, we saw, the um, ‘Help Wanted’ sign outside and were hoping to get a job”, I half-mumbled as I pointed at the door.

“Oh that old thing is still out there? I’m sorry, but we’re not in need of new employees”, he told us with an apologetic smile.

“Ah well, at least thank you for telling us. Umm… I guess we’ll be off”, I turned to Felipe and nodded to the door and left.

When we opened the door the bells rang out again but with a different sound.

WOOF! WOOF!

‘Seriously. What the hell is with those bells’

“Welp, where to next?”, I asked.

“How about that one?”, he said while pointing to another store with a ‘Help Wanted’ sign. The building had a sign hanging which had a sofa and quill.

“Welp… *sigh* Let’s see how this one goes”


“How are your craftsponyship skills in making sofas?”

After resisting to let my hand meet with my face and groan due to one of the growing list of pony puns for everything, I calmly answered the sofa and quill manager, “I have some experience with woodworking but I haven’t made any sofas”

“I don’t have any experience with woodworking at all”, Felipe answered flatly.

“Well I might be able to hire you”, the stallion said as he turned to me, “But I’m not going to be able to hire you as it will take to much time and money to teach you how to woodwork and make sofas”, he said turning to Felipe.

“Sorry sir, but it’s both of us or none of us”, I said before Felipe can say anything.

“Well, then I understand, but if that’s the case then I can’t hire you two, I’m sorry”

“It’s alright, but thank you for at least considering us”

Felipe and I then stood up and left the store. “Dude, you should’ve taken that job, you didn’t have to turn it down just because’ I wasn’t going to get a position”

“Nah man it’s alright. Besides when he said ‘making sofas’ I immediately didn’t want to take the job, I don’t really like to make things with wood, I will if I have to, but I’m not going to be a carpenter or anything with working with wood if I can avoid it”

“Ah, well let’s look for another place”


“Have you had any previous experience with making clocks or watches and/or repairing them?”, said the stallion with a brown fur and mane while wearing a green tie and had a hourglass for a cutie mark and had a british accent. ‘Why does this guy sound so familiar?’

“Nope, I haven’t made a single clock or a watch in my life”, replied Felipe as I studied the stallion.

“Well I’m sorry dear boy but, I cannot hire you two, if what you two said that it’s both or none. I would have hire you both if one of you had some experience but it will be too costly to teach both of you, I’m dreadfully sorry for this inconvenience”

“It’s alright sir, we’ve been getting that for the most part of today. If you don’t mind me asking, what is your name, we didn’t quite get it earlier and you sound familiar but I couldn’t figure out from where”, I said with a confused look.

“Well certainly, I am the Doctor”, he simply said.

‘No. Fucking. Way.’

“Who?”, asked Felipe.

“Exactly”, the Doctor said with a sly smile, one that I shared with him.

“Well then, Doctor”, I said as I stood up and held my hand out for him to shake, with an idiotic smile plastered on my face, “Although we don’t the job I hope we can hang out in the future”

“Well as do I”, he said as he shook my hand. Then suddenly the clocks around the store chimed twelve.

‘Damn, it’s barely twelve?’

“Well look at the time, I dreadfully sorry but I agreed to meet somepony right now”

“It’s quite alright Doctor, we were on our way out anyways. C’mon bro let’s look somewhere else”

As we left I swore I saw an old blue british police box behind the store, but when I blinked it wasn’t there.

“What the-?”

“Hey Leo, let’s check out this place. I think we could get a job here”, he said pointing to a restaurant.

The restaurant he pointed to was in a horrible state. Trash littered all over the place. The windows were foggy with grease and grime, one of the windows had a hole in it. The tables looked like as if they haven’t been cleaned in ages and the hay that is used to sit on were green with mold.

I gave Felipe a ‘are you fucking kidding me?’ look and turned right around and walked away flipping a double bird behind me while saying, “Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope”, over and over again with Felipe following behind me, trying not to burst out laughing.


“Dude we’ve looked all day. Why don’t we call it a day for now and try again tomorrow?”, asked Felipe as he looked at the ever rising moon as it started it’s journey across the sky.

“Ugh, fine. Meet me right by the fountain at ten”

“Ok see you tomorrow”

“See ya”

I then walked to the library and entered it’s threshold, “Twilight! I’m back!”

“Oh hey Leo. What have you been up too today? I haven’t seen you since you left earlier this morning”, said Twilight as she looked up from a book that she was reading, it looked like the one she was trying to hide from me earlier.

“Ran into Felipe in the market. Long story short, we went to look for a job”

“Oh!”, she perked up when I said that, “And how’d the search go? Did you both find a job? Oh, I’m so glad that the town has accepted you four to let you work in their stores or business!”

“We still haven’t found a job yet. Mostly because we lack the skill and it’s too costly to train the both of us or one of us, it really depended on who we went to but we’ll try again tomorrow with any luck”

“Well there is leftovers in the fridge, so help yourself to them and then you can go to bed if you want”

“That sound nice, I am feeling tired as hell after all those interviews”

I went to the kitchen and served some of the leftover noodle soup.

“Oh and Twilight!”, I called out from the kitchen.

“Yes Leo?”

“What day is it?”

“It’s Monday the 18th!”

“The 18th of what?”

“August”

‘August? If we left Earth late April, then we should be in mid-June. Not mid-August. Did we travel through time?’

“Twilight what year is it?”

“It’s the year 1985 A.D. or 1004 A.N.M.M.”

I stood up and walked to where the bookish lavender alicorn was, “A.D. and A.N.M.M.?”

“After Discord and After Nightmare Moon, same date on both just different year”

“Ok thanks. It’s good to know then”

‘Well we’re not too far from each other time wise, but I’m too lazy to do math right now. So does that make Rosa and Felipe a year older since we’ve basically time jumped over their birthdays when we transported here? Or does that make us younger, like negative years old?...’

“Ugh, this time travel crap makes my head hurt”, I mumbled.


“Are you ready?”, I asked Felipe.

“I woke up too early to deal with this stuff”, he groaned.

“Oh stop whining”, I rolled my eyes as we walked through the town looking for employment, once again. “I bet that I woke up earlier than you anyway. What time did you wake up?”

“Around 6 this morning when the sun came up”

I bursted out in laughter, “Hahahaha! Oh god! You still think 6'o clock in the morning is early? Dude I still get up at 4 every morning, just like back in Milwaukee”

He looked at me as if I were insane, “Seriously?! You still wake up at that time?! What do you do, since we don’t go to school anymore and you don’t have to be there early”

“I workout, no one bothers me and the air is cool, so yeah”

“You? Workout? Since when? You still look as scrawny as before”, he said with a look that said he didn’t believe me.

“Dude I know I’m scrawny but believe me, I’m a lot stronger now, probably a bit more stronger than you, but you’re bigger than me so you can most likely still take me”

“Huh… Well how about this place?”. He then stopped in front of a candy shop with a sign with tree blue wrapped candies and that read : Bon-Bon’s Candy Shop.

When we entered the store we were welcomed to the sound of bells chiming, announcing our presence in the shop. A mint colored unicorn with golden eyes saw us and greeted us with one of the cheesiest greeting I’ve ever heard from a greeter.

“Welcome to Bon-Bon’s Candy Shop! How can we serve your sweet tooth?”

“I’m sorry but that’s one of the cheesiest greetings I’ve ever heard from a candy shop greeter”, deadpanned Felipe, which was followed by me jabbing my elbow into his side.

“Ignore him, it wasn’t really that bad”, I lied.

The pony just sighed, “No, it’s alright I already told Bon-Bon that it was a horrible greeting but she insisted on keeping it, and well I’m kinda stuck with saying it when I’m back here. So anyway, is there anything I can help you two with?”

“Well first of all, I’m Leonardo, but you can call me Leo if you want, and this is my friend Felipe, and we saw the Help Wanted sign outside and we were hoping if we could get a job here”

“I’m Lyra Heartstrings, but you can just call me Lyra, and I’m sorry, Bon-Bon is out of town at the moment and she will be back in a couple of days”

“Ah well, that’s a bummer, well as long as were here, is there any caramel candy here?”

“Yeah, we have caramel candy, how many would you like?”

“Just one please”

Lyra then levitated a pair of thongs in a golden aura and grabbed a candy in a dull gold wrapper and placed it in a small paper bag, “That’ll be a bit please”, I then dug in my bit bag and grabbed a Celestia bit and passed it to Lyra, who took it in her magic and placed it in the register then handed me the bag containing my one piece of candy, “Thank you I hope to see you two again”

“Not prob’ Lyra, bye!”

When we left Felipe slugged at my arm, “Ow! What the hell man?!”

“That’s for jabbing me”

I rubbed my arm, which I’m sure I lost some feeling in it, “But shit man”, I shook my arm and tried to ignore the throbbing pain in it, “Any other places you see that could possibly land us a job?”

Felipe scanned the area around us and his eyes stopped at one building, “How about that one, it looks promising”. The building he pointed out stood out from the building around it. Instead of wood like the other building, it was made out of stone the only wood to be seen were a couple of wooden beams here and there, the window frames and the door. A sign hung above the small porch which only showed an anvil and hammer with a smaller wooden sign under it that said: Help Wanted in bold red letters. The chimney was billowing black smoke, signaling that there was someone inside. It didn’t take a genius to figure out that this was most likely a smithy.

“I hope we get a job here man, I’ve always wanted to learn how to work metal”, I said giddily.

We walked to the door and entered the building. The first word I thought of when I saw the smithy was sooty. The room was smudged with the stuff. But other than that, the various things on display were clean, shined and near flawless. There was also a counter with a register and a bell with a plaque next to it that read ‘Ring For Service’.

Ding!

I waited for the owner to come out front but Felipe decided to pull a Rosa and rang the damn bell again… repeatedly.

Ding! Ding! Dingdingdingdingdingdingdi-!

“I heard the damn bell the first time!”, yelled out a gruff voice that emanated from a door behind the counter. The door opened to reveal a silver-grey earth pony with a brown messy mane and a tail that was covered with soot and cerulean eyes. “Ok which one of you knuckleheads thought it was funny to keep ringing my bell?”, he said with a dangerous edge.

I’m not sure about Felipe, but I was afraid. Sure between the both of us, we could probably take this guy but with an unlikely chance to succeed. And it didn’t help that there were also bladed weapons on the pony’s side of the counter.

“Well?”, he asked impatiently, “Which one of you was it?”

Both Felipe and I looked at each other and turned back to the owner. I decided to take the blame and slowly raised my hand.

“It was me sir, I’m sorry for doing it”, I said while looking at the floor and kicking the floor in nervousness.

“Boy look at me when you’re talking”

I slowly lifted my head and look at him in the eye, something I can do with difficulty as I almost never look at someone in the eye. Makes me feel nervous.

Then all of a sudden, he had an amused smile grow on his face, “Apology accepted, I’ll let it slide since I would of probably done the same thing when I was your age. Anyway; Welcome to the ‘Steel Ingot’, can I help you boys with anything?”

“Uhm… We saw your help wanted sign outside and were hoping to see if we can get employment here”, answered Felipe.

“So you two wish to get jobs here?”, we both nodded our heads, “Well then, do any of you have any experience with metalworking?”, he received his answer with both of us shaking our heads. “I’m going to assume that this is a ‘hire both of you or none’ deal, am I right?”, we nodded. He then tapped his chin then looked at both of us with a serious look, “If I were to hire both of you, would you two put in the effort to learn how to work with metal and to do everything I say?”, Felipe and I looked at each other and Felipe raised his eyes in question.

Although I don’t know exactly what he’s trying to ask but I took a stab in the dark and nodded. Turning back to the stallion I answered the question for both of us, “We’ll do it, but within reason”

The stallion looked between us for a couple of seconds then gave a hearty laugh. “I like both of your styles! You’re hired!”, Felipe and I high-fived and fistbumped in success, “You two start tomorrow”, he then extended a hoof to us, “I’m Silver Hammer and welcome aboard”

“I’m Leo, and he’s Felipe”, I introduced back.

“Well, come back tomorrow and I’ll start teaching you both, and be here by 6:45 in the morning sharp”

“Sound’s good to me boss, well thank you for hiring us, see ya tomorrow”, I said.

“Ok, c’ya boys tomorrow”

When we left the smithy Felipe let out a groan, “Why do we have to be early!?”

“Oh stop whining pinche pendejo, it’s not that early. Besides, be at least glad that we have a job now”

“Ugh fine!”

With that we headed to Sugarcube Corner to celebrate our employment.

Author's Note:

Well here's the chapter, sorry for taking so long.

Well anyways, please like or favorite if you enjoyed the story.

In other news there will be no Q & A :fluttercry: reason is because no questions we sent in.
Well that's it for now, c'ya next chapter.

Peace!
-TBMF