• Published 28th Jan 2014
  • 1,028 Views, 2 Comments

All good things... - Sokuren



Twilight and Spike have an argument, but it ends badly for everyone involved.

  • ...
2
 2
 1,028

...Come to those who try.

Celestia stood a lonely vigil over her student’s softly breathing form. The memories of the scant years they had spent together raced through her mind, but she did not allow herself to weep. It pained her to see a life she had been so closely connected to fade, but that was her punishment for toying with the forces of life and death.

A soft creak at the balcony drew her attention but she said nothing as Rainbow Dash, eyes red from crying, crept up to the bed. She seemed not to notice the Princess standing there, all her attention focused on the sleeping Twilight. “I’m sorry. I’m so so sorry...” she whispered, repeating the apology over and over as she stared.

The apologies eventually trailed off, leaving the room drenched in silence. Eventually, Rainbow spoke.

“That spell, the one that kept her alive... does it have to be a child’s need? Or will something else work?”

Celestia took her time in responding, choosing her words carefully. “Something else could work, if it is as strong as a child’s need for their mother.”

“Would... would love work?” Rainbow asked, her voice barely audible.

“I suppose it would depend on the depth of that love.” Celestia said, her face unreadable.

Still not taking her eyes of Twilight, Rainbow was silent for a few minutes. “I love her. I love her so much that I don’t think I could fly if I knew she was gone. I’d gladly give up my wings if that could bring her back. Flying, the wonderbolts, none of that matters if she’s not there to see. I... I guess that might seem shallow or something. But flying is my life, and it wouldn’t matter if the one I fly for wasn’t there. Is that enough?” Finally tearing her gaze away from the sleeping unicorn, she stared up at Celestia with tears once more streaming down her face.

Celestia smiled, ever so slightly. “Well, let’s find out shall we?” she asked, her horn glowing with magic.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Twilight awoke in the morning, shocked by the fact that she awoke at all. Looking around, she spotted her teacher standing serenely by her side. “What? Celestia? but... I thought I...”

“You nearly did, my faithful student. But someone out there needs you more than Spike ever did. They willingly offered to sacrifice everything they held dear, just to keep you alive.”

“Who?” Twilight asked, wonder playing over her face.

Celestia merely chuckled. “That would be telling, now wouldn’t it? And where would the fun be in that?” Ignoring Twilight’s stream of questions as she walked out to the balcony, she looked back before taking off. “Just look at this as the next phase of your studies. After all, what comes after friendship, but love?” With a musical laugh, she disappeared into the sky, leaving behind a furiously blushing, confused, and very curious Twilight.

Comments ( 2 )

Nice save. Though, I kinda wanted to see what would happen when Spike came back to find he'd basically killed Twilight. I guess I have a deep, disturbing love of death reaction fics. :twilightblush:

3856441 Agreed. Maybe an alt ending?

Login or register to comment