• Published 19th Jan 2014
  • 4,260 Views, 63 Comments

A Truth so Elusive - Davesknd



Rarity has a horrible secret and tonight, she will confess it to the dragon she cares about. R63 Rarity and male Spike

  • ...
14
 63
 4,260

Truth Bared

Magic flickered, reflected in a mirror and in also in the eyes of a beautiful unicorn.
A final stroke and a bit of rubbing and the last remnants of bags were hidden beneath a fine layer of makeup.
Rarity set down the utensils and let out a sigh.
It was difficult, but finally, all remnants of the earlier tears were covered and even the earlier bloodshot eyes had their old luster back.
No more reddened cheeks, swollen muzzle or smeared mascara.

Beauty restored: Check.

A look towards the clock.

Six, sharp.

It was time to lose Spike’s affection forever.

*Don’t, Rarity!* the unicorn thought sadly *It had to come sooner or later and it has been nice until now. But you can’t lead him on like that… Now when there is this secret between you! And not when… when…*

Only biting down hard on the inside of the cheek could suppress another onslaught of tears.
Rarity inspected the reflection in the mirror again: She looked fabulous, there was no doubt about it.
Her coat was glistening white that made pearls blush with envy. Hair that cascaded from her head and spiraled in a perfect way. A tail that could make any stallion turn his head on the street.

Only the smile… the smile that once won the heart of a little dragon. That smile would not come.

If it just had not been for the last few days. If things had been different. If Spike hadn’t talked done everything in his might to talk her into going on a date with him.

If he hadn’t been such delightful company and a perfect gentledrake.

If he wasn’t everything a mare could ask from not just a stallion, but from something she had dreamed of since she was small: from a prince.

“Time for the fairy tale to end…” Rarity stated grimly and focused her magic on the object that lay on her drawer: The fire ruby.
She had taken it out of the necklace, which fit her so incredibly well and polished it to perfection.

Today, she would give it back.

The sound of a knock on the door echoed through the boutique and it sounded to Rarity as if the firing squad had just presented their rifles.
“Coming!” she said with forced cheerfulness and turned to go. Time to face the bullets.
Rarity had refrained from putting on any clothes and even kept her makeup on the casual side. But the fit earlier had forced her to go all out. The naked truth was not supposed to be pretty, but a lady could pretend.

Lady

How much she loved this word.

Spike was wearing a black vest with a hoofkerchief in the pocket. The one that made him look so incredibly mature and smartly dressed. He was also sporting a huge grin that instantly turned to a dreamy gaze, as soon as the door revealed the target of his deepest affections.

“Good evening, Spike.” Rarity said softly, forcing herself to be as chipper as possible “Punctual as expected. Come in, we have much to discuss.”

The dragon snapped out of his stupor and nodded vehemently. “Sure, Rarity. Thank you for the invitation.” He answered happily.

Rarity nodded and turned to go inside. She remained quiet as she led him through the boutique and towards the kitchen. Spike was beyond happy about the sudden invitation but as he was following his princess through the dark room, he felt a strange shiver running down his back. Something was wrong, but he couldn’t put his claw on what it was. Maybe he would have had more than a slight feeling, had he seen the mannequin behind the curtain. The one that had several huge tears and most of its stuffing torn out.
I the kitchen, a kettle of tea was bubbling and two cups were waiting to be filled. Though they didn’t manage to demand attention as much as the brown cardboard box on the table. It contained all his gifts to her, with the fire ruby on top like a worrying cherry.

Rarity, ever the perfect host, prepared the tea silently.

The dragon accepted the cup thankfully, well aware that its content was exactly to his taste after the way through the cold evening air.

“So… what is it you wanted to talk about?” Spike asked with a bit of tension in his voice. He felt less and less secure.

“Spike…” Rarity started and let out a deep sigh. For a moment she just stopped talking and looked at him, as if forcing herself to speak. After seconds that felt like days, she finally managed to continue. “Spike. It is time for me to end this.”

“What?” the dragon asked surprised.

“Over the last few years, you have been a wonderful part of my life.” Rarity continued, feeling her cheeks and eyes burn “Early, I figured out that you had a crush on me. At first, I convinced myself that It was simply childish infatuation and that you would soon find a new target or grow tired of adoring me. But you kept going. And then, you gave me the fire ruby, chose a life among ponies over a life among dragons and did so much more.” The unicorn gave the dragon a pressed smile “I grew fonder of you by the day and soon, the little compliments stopped being just a little petting of my ego and became more… they made my heart leap.”

Spike blushed and opened his mouth, but a soft hoof was placed on his lips.

“And this is where the dream ends and reality has to rear its ugly head.” Rarity continued with a kind of relieved despair. Once you put your head on the chopping block, you might as well relax and enjoy the fact that the wood is not too hard and you didn’t catch a splinter. “Spike, I care about you deeply. I care about you so much that I can no longer go on like this. I can no longer watch you having these feelings for me without knowing the truth.” She closed her eyes and held back few tears “A sad and ugly truth that I have kept from almost all of our friends.” Rarity shook her head and looked deep into Spike’s eyes. “But I have one… no, I beg of you, do this for me: Listen to all I have to say. Judge me, hate me, but let me finish, please.”

Somewhere in the speech, Spike’s jaw had dropped. Rarity knew? She cared about him? She had a terrible secret? He didn’t need to think about it. “Everything for you!” he said firmly.

It earned him a soft smile. “Spike…” Rarity began with a soft voice “Only Sweetie Belle, my parents and Fluttershy know what I am about to tell you. Only the ponies closest to me are to know this.”

“Your secret is safe with me, Rarity!” Spike answered valiantly. Whatever it was Rarity would tell him, he would take it to his grave.

Rarity nodded and tears began glistening in her eyes. Partially because of how happy he made her but mostly because she knew that he would never make her this happy again. Not once he knew.

“Spike…” she began carefully “I was not born a mare.”

The young dragon literally froze. He had mentally prepared for anything. ANYTHING! And now she was just pulling his leg. In a moment, Pinkie would jump out of that box and they would all have a good laugh.

“25 years ago, my mother gave birth to a beautiful little baby. But there was one thing wrong with the baby. It was not a filly. It was a colt.” Rarity continued sadly. “Of course, at the time, nopony imagined that that would one day become a problem. But at some point in his life, that colt understood that nature had made a mistake. He was very different from his fellow colts. He had been born with the soul of a filly. And no matter what his parents, his friends or his teachers said and did, he knew that he would always want to be a filly and one day a mare.” Finally she felt two hot trails roll over her cheeks and almost blurted the last sentence out “Spike. That was and still is me!”

“Bububububububuub--- BUT you are Rarity! The most beautiful unicorn in Equestria!” Spike almost yelled back “The paragon of female beauty! The best fashionista know to ponydom!” he shook his head violently “You… you can’t be a guy!”

Rarity forced a smile through the tears. “You have no idea how happy it makes me to hear that.” She said sadly “Twilight and equally smart ponies would probably call it subconscious overcompensation or something smart like that. But I know that I am a mare… I feel like one and I don’t pretend! Would a stallion have a fainting couch? Would a stallion spend endless hours of his life in front of a mirror, trying to look perfect?” She paused for a very short moment “Would a stallion pray to every single star, every night of his life that he would wake up a mare?” Rarity shook her head and sobbed “But every day, I wake up in this… this alien body!”

“But… you…” Spike stuttered “Stallions have… You…”

“It is a rather elaborate illusion spell.” Rarity explained calmly “Too complex for me to cast, so I had it woven into the scrunchy, I use for my tail.”

“So… that little band on your tail makes you look the way you are?” Spike asked and earned a glare.

“Rigorous and precise exercise, a careful diet and hours in front of my mirror are responsible for what you see before you!” Rarity stressed and held her head up with pride “The band merely disguises my… my stallionhood.” She let out a sigh and wiped her tears away with one hoof “As much as I want to take the credit, but I am luckier with this body than most others of my… misfortune. It has always been feminine enough to work with. Even my voice… my puberty was good to me in this regard. It took me a while to master it, but it takes me basically no effort to sound the way, I do.”

“Unless you get all excited or angry… then it goes all scratchy.”

“It does?” Rarity asked confused but quickly shook her head “Anyways… yes, it is not too difficult to keep my voice from betraying me.”

The shock had slowly left Spike and confusion had taken its place. “But… at the Gala! What made you think that prince Blueblood would…”

“Wouldn’t it be the perfect end to the fairy tale?” Rarity asked dreamily “After a life of misery and torment, the handsome prince finds his princess. But when her terrible secret is revealed, he takes her to his aunt and princess Celestia, with her endless magic, simply lightens up her horn and the princess is free of her flaw… but alas, Blueblood was no prince and when I stayed in Canterlot, Celestia explained that even she cannot correct a mistake made by nature itself. I am trapped in this body of mine… no magic known to ponydom can change it. Not even Zecora with all her potions or modern Equestrian medicine can cure me of this curse.”

Spike swallowed. This was wrong. Rarity was pouring her… his? Heart out. And all he could do was sit here. Maybe he could find out what others thought? “Your family… how did they take it?” the dragon asked carefully.

“Better than most, worse than few…” Rartiy answered sadly “Mother was very understanding. Maybe she sensed that something was amiss during the pregnancy. Maybe she saw the signs in my early years. I am not sure. Father took a little longer. He loves me, but he has yet to accept that he was cheated out of having a son. Luckily, he is stallion enough to find the blame with fate and not with me. Sweetie Belle… she is wise beyond her age in some regards. She understands that her older sister is cursed and that it is something that should remain with the family.”

Spike looked at the table and swallowed. Realization was slowly setting in: This was not a joke, a prank or anything like that. Rarity, his Rarity, the peak of female grace and beauty was apparently serious in her claims. Awkwardly, he scratched the back of his head, trailing his spikes, not daring to look at her.

“I understand that you must be abhorred…” Rarity said softly, her lip trembling with bottled up emotion.

Spike looked up. No, it was not like that. He felt betrayed to some degree, but not revolted. “I… I just don’t know what to say.” He answered slowly “Or what to think…”

“I’m sorry, Spike.” The unicorn sobbed as another burst of tears came. “But please! It was not an act! I don’t act the way I do because I want to fool anyone! The Rarity you know is me! I am a fashionista, the element of generosity, sometimes a drama queen and inside, deep inside, I am a mare! I just wasn’t born one! And if there was a way to turn myself into one, I would in an instant!” The torrent of tears won and Rarity began sobbing loudly. “I’m so sorry!” she cried between the sobs “I am so horrible! You deserve a princess! I wanted to reject you! I wanted to spare you the dashed hope! But every time you complimented me, every time you looked at me with those loving, longing eyes, I felt so wonderful! You made me feel like the princess, I always wanted to be and I abused your affection! I am sorry, Spike! I am so sorry!” The sobbing and blubbering pile that used to be a unicorn slouched onto the table and softly whispered more and more apologies.

Spike bit his lip. He hated seeing Rarity cry. He hated seeing the pony he cared so deeply about suffer. Slowly, he got off his seat and slowly moved towards the crying unicorn. The little dragon sighed deeply and slowly wrapped his arms around the pony’s neck.
Rarity let out a sharp breath a trembled under the touch, unable to say anything but a few sobs and insecure whines. Almost against her will, she embraced the small dragon back and rested her cheek on his temple.

Spike closed his eyes and felt his eyes moisten. It felt so right. He was comforting the pony he loved. After all this time of teasing and small displays of affections, that he had treasured like other dragons would treasure a hoard, he was finally embracing Rarity. He was touching that wonderfully soft, pristine coat and it felt even better than he had imagined. He could feel those perfectly hooficured and elegant legs hold him close and firm. And he could feel her hear heart beet somewhere beneath his cheek, which was pressed against a wonderfully soft chest.

Could this really be wrong? Was he really embracing a stallion right now?
And even if: Did it make her coat any less soft, her hooves any less gentle or her beauty any less stunning?
As the sobs slowly died down, Spike let go and took a step back.
Rarities eyes were swollen and her mascara was smeared. Still, she looked beautiful to him.

“Rarity.” Spike said softly looking at the unicorn with concerned eyes. “Please, remove the hairband…”

“What?”

The dragon bit his lip and focused all his courage. “I care about you, Rarity. And I want to know how you really look. Even if this is not the body you want or need, it is the one you have. I… think I deserve to see it after everything I have done for you…” he finished.

Rarity lowered her gaze. She was not used to such harsh words from her Spikey-Wikey. But what had the cursed pony expected? Slowly, a magical aura formed around the small and often overlooked band that held her tail in place and pulled it off.

The change was so subtle, is barely visible. A slight change on the curve of the hip was all, Spike noticed at first. But after looking a bit closer, he could see the appendages that betrayed a pony’s sex.

He had to admit, it seemed wrong. Seeing this wonderful, feminine beauty with the attribute of stallionhood between her hind legs.
Slowly, he took a step forward and placed his hand on her shoulder.

Still soft.

Still sent a tingle down his spine.

Yet…

The dragon let out a sigh and looked the unicorn in the eyes. “Kiss me…” he muttered softly.

“What?”

“You kissed me before!” Spike said gently “Kiss me again, please! I want to know if it is as you say! If you really are no longer the Rarity, I love!”

Rarity nodded and placed a soft kiss on the dragon’s cheek. It was not as sweet and affectionate as they had been before, but the unicorn’s state was far from chipper and grateful right now.
Still, Spike felt his cheeks burn slightly. He didn't collapse in a pile of hearts, as he had done before, but he felt his heart quicken as the soft lips touched his scales.

They hadn't become coarse or rugged.

The dragon swallowed and let out a soft sigh. “I… I… I need some time.” He said softly. He was just too confused right now. “I am not disgusted. I still care about you… I still feel for you… but the idea that you are… that you… you know.”

“Believe me, I do.” Rarity answered sadly.

“Just give me a few days to think and some time to ponder…” he added and averted his gaze. He sighed. “I need to think and figure this out.”

The unicorn nodded softly and returned the band to her tail. “I wish I could be the princess, you deserve.” She added sadly.
Spike didn’t answer. He didn’t have an answer. He just gave the unicorn before him another hug and let her bring him to the front door. He rejected taking the gifts back halfheartedly and left with his head hanging. His mind was racing and he knew that he had to figure this out, no matter how long it took.

Author's Note:

This is based on a post in the Sparity forum and I had to write it down. What Spike did for Rarity and what will happen next are purposefully kept vague. Probably not my best work, but sometimes, you have to write what you brain demands.