• Published 16th Jan 2014
  • 3,628 Views, 188 Comments

Button Mash: High School Life - rock4u7



The holidays are over and Button heads back to the harsh world of teenage life, trying to survive it with his rag-tag group of friends,The Gamers and Gamettes. Pick up your controller and plug right in Player Two.

  • ...
17
 188
 3,628

Part 4 : Mana Drain.

Author's Note:

Part 4 ladies and gentlemen, I'm enjoying seeing so many people favouriting this and even following me, so, I think along with Button Mash:HSL I'll also be writing some other fan fics, they wont involve Button Belle but I hope they reach the audience its looking for. Ill get working on part 5 after I re-cooperate and get work done on my fallout EQ meets metro fan-fic. Hope to read your comments ~Rock4u7 :).


“Shopping’s done…cleaning’s done, dishes done…financials...all under control…Well what the High Fuck do I do now?” said a rather bored Karin (Nurture) Mash.

“Time for a break I guess” she said as she wandered out of the kitchen towards the living room.

To the far left of the room next to the TV was a wooden drawer with an old sleek black record player covered in various Band stickers, she opened the drawer below it to reveal a large collection of rock & roll records from age long past, she glided her hoof along the spines of each alphabetically labelled Album till she reached R, she gave a nostalgic sigh then proceeded to carefully slid out a black and yellow stripped Album labelled ‘The Rolling Stones: No Security’ and gaze at it fond-fully.

“This takes me back” she said quietly to no-pony in particular.

After taking the record out of the album and placing it on the record player she soon put it onto track 3, called ‘Gimme Shelter’.

As the song began she wandered towards the cupboard and reached for a bottle of fairly expensive scotch, as she poured the brown drink into the glass cup the Singers voice began “Oh, a storm is threat'ning my very life today, If I don't get some shelter, Oh yeah, I'm gonna fade away”. She hummed to it as she sat down on the couch and flicked on the TV to a fairly low-brow vulgar piece of entertainment. She muted it and closed her eyes and began to enjoy the atmosphere she had created for herself.

“Remember when we got this album honey…..” her eyes opened and then dampened at the thought of her forgotten husband, she felt a tear brewing.

“Still not as good as ‘Back in Black’ thou” she announced as she raised her scotch in a toasting form then drunk it slowly.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The drink was quite disgusting, considering Button wasn’t in too soy (or latte’s or basically anything that said non-fat), he couldn’t gulp anymore of this foul liquid lest it come up and coat the ground before him, He gathered all his strength and slowly pull the froth away from his mouth as to make it look like he was done sipping his delicious free drink that had been graciously offered to him by one of Equestria’s most pretentious.

“Good isn’t it” asked Backslash.

“Indeed, (*ehugd*) but not really strong enough for me” button said almost upchucking onto Backslash’s face (though it would probably then be considered Fine art or post modernism).

After sweetie’s stellar performance the bell for last period had run and now Button was wandering to Information & Technology with Backslash and chatting about if ‘Jaws’ is the greatest movie of all time (p.s-it is, no movie has made people fear something for the rest of there life).

“Well this is my stop, oh and um…thanks for the invite to the theatre Backslash” Button said trying to hurry inside.
“You’re Welcome; you seemed to really make a splash with the troupe, maybe one day well consider letting you watch us act” Backslash replied with a less cocky and more nicer tone.

“I thought you were a Writer?” Button snarked politely.

“I’m a jack of all Trades” said Backslash with a lace if not a chain of pride.

“We’ll when it comes to Acting I’m a jack of all shits” Button joked.

“Eh, it’s not that hard if you kind of just? Disjoint yourself from reality” Backslash replied.

“…sorry, I’m not really in to that, hehe” button said hypocritically and soon he was saying his goodbyes as he went to class and though about what had just transpired during lunch.

^^^^^No, no,no! What DID! Just happen?

Button though hard about it as his Mr Screwdriver started to yell at him to get to his seat. For once button did the impossible…he broke the rules to change the rules, maybe this would even work on the Goths and the scones and ….. Oh goddess the limits he could reach, to anyone else this would seem like just going up and talking to people… but within this high school hierarchy it was all about classes….and he was going to become Lenin.


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^


As the afternoon bus arrived at the front of the school Button felt a tinge of sickness in his stomach (not to mention the blaring head-ache rattling in his skull), the drug had worn of around 12 pm and button knew it, he felt sort of scared, not having that shield around him, it was like a numbing agent that help him forget the status quo.

“All aboard!” said the bus driver which after a long hard think, Button will now come to know him as ‘Scruffy the bus driver’.
As if muttering ‘Open Sesame’ the Goth ponies (including Scarlet, who now had a black eye) had finally emerged from the piles of cigarettes and angst from which they dwell and now began to ghost into the bus like a group of fish from hot topic. Button wasn’t sure if he would be able to break that crowd yet.

Maybe it could wait, at least until he had another hit…but how’s was he going to get that hit, snips isn’t coming back to ponyville anytime soon, not to mention it wouldn’t be free of charge next time he asked, But he did mention something about a club..”Hey Button” sweetie said behind button’s back.

“eep” button squeaked as he flung around with a look of astonishment and hysteria.

“Guess you’re still as jumping as always…” she said with a uplifting if slightly bored tone.

“Uh..um sweetie…wha..what’cha doing” Button asked with a head still full of mash potato.

“it’s…um, about lunch, look I’m not going to pretend I know what’s going on inside your head, but…hanging out with Backslash and the others that’s pretty…Ballsy and…well it doesn’t really seem like you?” sweetie stuttered as the Scruffy once again noticed Button’s lagging.

Button’s face in reply was something of agitation and a feeling he had just been disrespected in a number of ways.

“Not to say you don’t have balls…I think we both know that…you…do...hehe” She quickly retorted as she made this situation increasingly awkward.

Button had finally come up with a reply to this uncomfortable situation.

“Well, Backslash offered an invitation to the theatre…and well…I took it”.

“ Oi! JoyBoy get ore’ ass on the bus!” Scruffy politely interrupted.

“Oh, well I better let you get going…oh, did you like the song” sweetie asked with a lot more politeness than Scruffy.

“Yeah, definitely, Zia’s Song…that takes one hell of a voice” Button replied as he backed into the bus.

“I know, hey…that’s for not making things weird” sweetie said with a slight grin on her face.

“Thank you for reminding me I still have balls” Button joked genuinely.

“hehe, someone got to” she replied with a bright chuckle which lit up her face.

And with that Scruffy grabbed Button and through him as far back as possible.

Button (finally feeling happy for hoping on the bus and not incredibly awkward or incredibly high) strolled to the far end of the bus and sat down next to a Goth Pony whose mane could only be described as ‘Death Spikes’.

“What was that about” asked Scarlet who slithered her head over the seat.

“Eh, idle chit-chat” Button retorted.

“You know that chick?” inquisitively asked

“Yep, she’s my Ex” Button said without a hint of sadness.

“Damn, Lucky shit” she joked as she reclined back into her tattered bus seat.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The ride home was the most pleasant one he’d seem to ever have gotten, eventually he started to made small talk with ScarletThread over how she wanted her story done (which usually ended in her saying ‘Made it darker and less cutzie’) not to mention that Death spike was actually studying advanced Arcane Sciences (which usually ended in ‘Shut your up Ill form a lightning so far up your ass!’.

“…Just make the heroin an adventurer or something, it doesn’t matter” Scarlet said.

“Whys it always A mare who’s the Hero….why can’t a Colt ever save the day?” button chatted.

“Because it’s a sexist world; deal with it, plus that would mean you’d have to completely re-arrange her motivations and story arch” Scarlet replied.

“I’m just saying, this Idea of your just sounds like a rip off of Tomb Raider” Button was cut off by her raised tone of dis-like.
“NO! It’s not; it’s about a female survivalist who stumbles into the ruins of an ancient zebra temple!”.

“Answer me this…is there raptors in it?” Button asked with condescending yet high and mighty tone.

“…..Fuck you……ass” she debated with the upper hand (at-least by what she thought).

“Well I guess you win, because here’s my stop” Button playfully said as the bus landed on the dirt road.

Button grabbed his saddle bag and said goodbye to Death Spike (who literally replied with a ‘hissssss’).

“hay, remember to write it WITH the T-rex as well, oh, and…your pretty cool Button…for a drug addicted one dimensional Reclose”

“hah...A simple C’ya would have sufficed” Button replied as he was grabbed by Rumble and herded off the bus.

The two friends made their separate ways and soon button was walking the dirt road home looking forward to a long rest …until he heard the commotion and distorting guitar.

“You shook me all night loooong!” cackled the large group of 40 year old mares inside buttons home. He knew what it meant…Mom’s having a party, and he wasn’t going anywhere near that.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Ponyville lake was quite beautiful in the silver moonlight, there was no breeze in the air except for a slight chill which occasionally jumped up button’s spine as he starred across the still water, he had been sitting there for about 4 and a half hours just thinking about school, himself and other ponies he liked or fancied, he finally felt safe enough to talk to himself.

“Well…Hello Button?” Button said to Button
.
“*sigh*…you…you kinda… wish bro was back don’t you…,yep, well why doesn’t he come back?, because Dad’s gone and Mom’s a wreck…Well why do you stick around, do you really think I’d last a second out there, probably if you tried, I can’t!, why?, because I’m anti-social and I hate people, c’mon button tell yourself the real reason…..fine…I’m scared, scared of what?, everything, like?, money and housing, and?, what do you mean, what are you really afraid of, that’s it, c’mon Ashley you know yourself to well, erm…I’m scared of… relationships”.

The entire lake was silent except for the faint buzz of beetles in the reeds, no one was watching Button but it sure as hell felt like the world was there gawking and snickering at him.

Button started again.

“What do you mean relationships, I’m afraid of them, why?, because I don’t want to change my lifestyle for them, plus?, plus you have to always have to have something interesting to say all the time otherwise it get awkward and then they leave you”.
Button was silent for a few moments as he built up the courage to say what he was about to say.

“…what about Sweetie, what about her?, you never had any problem with talking to her, that’s because we had known each other for a long time, Button we both know the question you want to ask yourself, I know, so say it, fine…She left me because I’m as much of a wreck as my damn mother!”.

Button was weeping now as his tears rolled of his face and hit the lake like shards of glass.

“She did love you, I loved her too, but she left you all the same…why?, because I had a brain fart the night she visited, you were in catatonia, I was fucking sad! That’s what people do when there sad! They show it in ways!, why didn’t you tell her that?, because…she dumped me the night after…, you could’ve talked to her…but instead you ran off and just left her there, she wouldn’t have listened!, yes she would have, like when?, like when you had that awkward sex then didn’t speak to each other for days after that, we were 14 we didn’t know what that shit was, she still stayed with you because you both talked it through”.

His face was torn with lines of tears, his heart was aching, his brain wanted to scream so many things; HE wanted to scream so many things.

“…Do you think she’d take me back,…Button we both know the answer to that, I know…I’ve just wanted to say that but never got the chance, its ok, Button?, yeah, Am I crazy?,…Euyup.

Button raised his foreleg and dragged it across his eyes trying to catch every last tear. His problems would seem so …unworthy to most people, but Button just wanted someone to talk too, someone who would listen, even if it was himself.

Droplet of rain started to pitter patter against the mirror lake and gave ripples all through its silver body. In a matter of seconds the rain picked up and Button was soon drenched (even more than he was before). He sat there for a long time still deep in thought as he sheltered between the wet strained of his mane.

“Rumble said something on the bus about draining the clouds tonight” Button said as he gave a pity smile to himself.
“how cliché’, raining as I fucking weep” He mumbled.

Button picked up what was left of himself then wandered home as the mud stained his hooves and the rain drove shivers all up his body. He stepped through the front door and tried not to notice the drunk Mother Mash singing along to AC/DC, up the stairs, past the drunk Ms Carrot Top, through the crowd of old women smoking outside the bathroom and finally…safe in his bedroom; and not a single woman in sight…How depressing.

Button wiped himself down with the same towel he’d been using over and over for the past 3 weeks and wandered over to his computer. It was too crowded to watch porn, so might as well get some work done. *click* open Game Maker *click* ‘MAKE ‘*click*’New’…name file ‘ButtonMakesAthing1.

“….I got nothing” Button said to himself softly.

He flicked off his computer and just found himself Contempt with lying on the floor.

“Jeez…things are going pretty crazy and its only a few days…what’ll tomorrow bring?. Button asked as the closet door TWACKED! Open and too Drunk mares covered in lipstick fell down onto each other.

“What!....ms Bon Bon…ms Liara?..*sigh*...you know what…I aint even gunna bother, I don’t care, I don’t even fucking care anymore.
Button bitterly pulled his StarWars blanket onto him and closed his eyes as the smell of sweat and strawberry lipstick filled the room.

“Hay Button” he whispered to himself.

“Yeah”

“You just lasted the whole day with playing a single game”

“When you play the game of High School you either win or you die…” button giggled to himself as he couldn’t keep himself awake any longer.