• Published 16th Jan 2014
  • 3,628 Views, 188 Comments

Button Mash: High School Life - rock4u7



The holidays are over and Button heads back to the harsh world of teenage life, trying to survive it with his rag-tag group of friends,The Gamers and Gamettes. Pick up your controller and plug right in Player Two.

  • ...
17
 188
 3,628

Season 2 Part 3: Hard Reset

Author's Note:

Hope it's been a long enough break for you all, due to more than a few fan messages I've decided to keep going with the series, if it feels a bit off than it's probably because I'm a little rusty. thanks for all the positive replies and fan-art, I wouldn't have gone past ep 1 if it wasn't for you guys :), stay beautiful.

Button sat waiting at the bus-stop, swinging his legs back and forth as he watched for the bus to come grinding along to him, Ponyville look moderately dead this early in the morning, the only ones out were old Mares walking their dogs or suited up business-folk driving their shiny new coaches into Canterlot city. Button didn’t mind waiting by himself, he always loved how the sun would lazily raise up through the tall mountains, cutting through the clouds with radiation beams of gold as they licked at button’s face like a puppy, he had a lot more of an appreciation for the sun nowadays, it reminded him that he was safe and alive.

He began to kick at the dusty ground, shooting up dry dirt for no real reason, he wasn’t sure why but today he felt very happy to go back to school, I guess after all the stuff that had happened, him getting kidnapped, his holdout at berry’s … the Zebra, he felt like he needed something to look forward to, today would be it, his life would now be sunshine and Celery stalks.

*BRR BRR* growled the old bus as it slowly approached the pickup stop, Button could see the faces of ponies, so blank, so contempt with what-ever they were doing, it made him remember how high the school was, just a bunch of kids hanging around complaining about things that they never really cared about.

Button sat up and approached the yellow coach, it’s rusty doors sliding open and its prune faced driver staring him down, a slight lick of confusion on him.

“Boy what happened to your face, you get kicked in the head or something?" he grizzled, tracking all the big and little bruises on Button’s mug.

Button said nothing, he merely walked onto the bus and have a grunt of laughter at what the bus driver asked, not acknowledging the question. He again looked at all the faces on the bus, blank and un-caring, the only stray in the crowd was the look on Rumble and Scarlet’s face as they saw their missing friend, faces shocked and eyes as wide as dinner plates. Button approached them, his face placid and normal as if nothing had ever happened.

The brown colt took a seat next to Scarlet, her face still in dumb-struck.

“Mornin’” casually said button, sliding into the folds of the leather seat.

The girl stared at him as if he was a ghost, it wasn’t till Rumble violently jumped onto the empty seat in front of them did her brain finally snap back to normal, with hooves wide open she wrapped both arms around Button, griping as tight as she could so he wouldn’t disappear in front of her, washing away like sand.

“errhh! Good eh, morning to you too egh scarlet” heaved Button, his lungs being squished like grapes at the young girl’s embrace..
“Where have you been dude!” shot Rumble, eyeing out all the boy’s bruises.

Button’s brain immediately switched into alibi mode, telling them exactly what he had been told by his mother.

“I’ve been staying at snips’s place for a few days, getting stoned ya know”.

They both gave him a queer look.

“Are you telling me you ran off just to get ripped for a few days” menacingly said the orange mare, fires burning in her eyes as her rage built up, her nature switching from shock and love to stuing anger at his story.

“At least I’m not dead” quickly replied Button, pushing himself into the sit, trying to re-assure her.

“Do you have any Idea how fucking worried I was….I thought you had been kidnapped or raped or killed!” she bitterly said, a grimace on her face as she stared down the mocha colt.

“But I’m not…´button replied with, speaking with a little more conviction but indeed a lot of her at what she was going to do next.

“What the hell happened to your face?” asked Rumble, still staring blankly at all the bruises and missing teeth.

Scarlet as well started noticing how beat up Button looked; whatever had happened had made him look like he had just been in a Rocky movie.

“I…um…me and snips got in a fight over the one of the last viles, he…won as you can see” Button stuttered, trying hard to remember what he was supposed to say.

The two of button’s friends looked to each other with half confusion plastered on their face.

“Look, the point is I’m back, I’m fine so let’s just get on with our day” bursted Button, rubbing his neck and acting cheery.

“You’re acting….weird” Rumble stated, reading Button’s face like a book.

“Button can you explain just maybe a tensy wincy bit more about why the hell you went missing for two days?” Scarlet asked, eyeing out the Colt.

“Like I said I left to go get high at “ Button quickly got cut off by Scarlet’s Goth friend who grabbed her by the shoulder and pushed a small radio up to her ear.

“Check this out Scar!” the pale Mare said, paining little mind to Rumble or Button, she drove the little hand-held radio in Scarlet’s ear.

A disembodied radio DJ began to speak, “Crazy right, So basically what the royal-guard are sayin' is that some druggo associated with the Canterlot juicers cartel stormed into their HQ, killed one of there lackies then shot the Zebra king pin, Guy Gwangee the notorious druglord right out the window, inspector’s saying he looked like a mushed potato after the upper railing fell on him on the way down, haha, looks like the king of the juicers got juiced himself, so anyway if you catch a green colt with eh..let me just read this, ah yes, a green colt with goldish orange hair immediately contact the royal guard, he is considered extremely dangerous and may be carrying a pistol and or knife, ok so now let’s go to the classics with ‘Somebody’s watching me’ by Rockwell…” the Goth girl flicked the radio then shot Scarlet a wicked grin.

“8Bit called me about that last night, he said the police came around and questioned him and his mom, shit’s crazy” Rumble added, speaking to the three ponies.

“Button, where did you get your drugs from?” asked Scarlet, turning around to Button and seeing him stone cold with a deathly blank look on his face, as if all the life had been sapped from him.

“No!!! *Crack!* Please! *crack* I HOPE YOU FAGGOTS BURN IN HELL! *CRACK!* GO AHEAD FUCK-TARD DO IT, YOU SHIT!, FUCKING DO IT!” *crack* *Crack* *CRACK!*” Button’s head was screaming at him with the horrid voices of the last few days, screeching at his thoughts like vultures picking at his ear-drums, he could hear the noises, see the horrors, smell the blood, it tore his brain apart like a blender of nails.

“Button…” said a voice.

“…what were you saying?” asked button, a single bead of sweat dropped from his nose, as his eye’s had a deepness to them that when further than any ocean.

Scarlet looked at him with a scared and bewildered look on her face, as subtle as Button was trying to be he could not hid how he looked to them, he needed to be cool, calm and collected if he was going to get away with this.

Button relaxed deep into the seat and closed his eyes, pretending to get some rest, this seemed to work well as both Scarlet ,Rumble and the Sadist returned to lounging against the window, scarlet looked at button then laid her head down on his shoulder, her ears brushing the side of his cheek, she was happy to have him back, alive and whole, Button felt the same, he felt loved, felt needed.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The day was typical for button, he got off the bus, went to the library (of course have to explain himself to his circle of friends) , went to class, explained himself there, went to lunch, again having to explain to people about his appearance. The day dragged on and on as his idealic day started to grow to a plain grind through familiar territory, we wanted something, he wasn’t sure what it was, it bit at the back of his head like a horse fly, stinging at his thoughts, tiny claws started to scratch at his brain.

He would walked between peering faces and chatty mouths through the day, he would smile, say hello and wave to them with a face he never seemed to truly wear, the only real respite he got was his friends, there interests quickly turned from buttons face and alibi to videogames (as usual), the seemed more curious about completing dark souls and Bloodborne then listening to buttons alibi, it made button happy, he felt he had gotten away with mur…well you get the phrase.

“I love that giant switch-razor weapon” said Inkspot to Rumble and Manga, making gestures to both, Manga who replied with a simple nod, reading his imported yuri comic.

“So you guys want to go to the beach on the weekend or something” chimed in button, asking an extremely foreign question to his friends, his cheek resting plumply on his hoof.

“You’re not serious are you” replied Inkspot, his face dumbstruck, “where nerds bro, why the hell would we want to go to the beach?”
“I dunno, we could go swimming or something, let’s just…do something, we hang out at pizza joints and games stores all the time” sulked Button, scratching his arm.

“Do you know how salty beach water is, plus once you get out your all sticky and your covered in sand…eh, its nasty, your eyes sting, your coat gets full of crap” Button’s friend rebutted turning back to his one sided conversation with Manga.

Button sat around listening to them (well him), they had no interest in doing anything else. Getting up and looking through the isles he found a filmography, hoping to find something interesting, Button looked at the pictures of pop culture past when he began to feel dizzy. He felt his head go limp as he fell against the isle, his weight smashing into photography and sculpture, he could hear a trickling sound as his vision went blurry, touching his face he noticed his nose was bleeding into the film book, spilling across the plastic pages like red wine.

“Oh goddess” Button yelped as he pressed his nose up, regaining his balance and sliding back up the row of books, heaving reality up through the shroud.

He shut the blood bathed book and slide it back into its place, holding his nostrils and rushing past his friends, passing 8Bit and he left the library.

8Bit gave a little wave but got no replied as Button left too fast for him to bother.

The Colt went towards the two nerds and gave Inkspot a tug on the arm as he pulled him into a nearby isle, manga still sitting on a chair and reading.

The orange boy looked through the holes within the book rows, hoping that no-one was within earshot.

“So what happened” asked 8Bit with anxiety, both his hoofs holding onto Inkspot’s arms, eyes wide and uncertain.

The vanilla Coat Colt stared at 8Bit for a second, his look calm, his mouth cracked at the left edge with a slight smile.

He pulled out his phone and showed the 8Bit, a single message received with the contact of ‘Dad’.

8Bit ran his eyes along the text, unsure of what it could mean.

It read.

From: Dad
‘Inky…I don’t know how to tell you this in person so I’ll have to be the weaker man and console myself with this message; if I do have the courage to send this too you then know that I mean every word.
I know you’ve always been…strange, different I mean, I thought it would just be a faze, something you’d grow out of, something you’d shake off, I’d always had it in the back of my mind but it wasn’t till I saw the pictures that I actually had to come to terms with it, with you, the way you are, the way you feel towards….towards boys, at first I was shocked, pictures of you and your friend…doing things, sending pictures of each-other’s bits, But It seems I forgot to notice the other pictures, the ones of you and him smiling together, happy and bright-eyed, best friends…the greatest of pals, I really don’t know how to word this so Ill just stop dancing around it like I always seem to do, If you are GAY, then please know I love you no matter what you choose to do or enjoy in life, I only want to see you happy Inky, if 8Bit makes you feel happy, the same way your mother made me feel happy, just enjoying being together then…you love him with all your heart, he’s a good kid, he’s had it tough, dealt a bad hand you know, make him happy, be happy yourself.

I love you Son.

The two Colt stood there silent for a few moments, neither knowing how to say to respond, they were happy but shocked all the same.
Eventually 8Bit broke the silence like glass, pushing forward and wrapping his arms around Inkspot, his head between shoulder and cheek both embraced each other in a hug, without saying a word they told each other it was going to be alright.

“hey, 8Bit…” calmly asked Inkspot, his edge crack smile re-appearing.

“yeah” replied the smaller orange Colt, looking up at his friend, his wide eyes washed with a pooling pupil of Safire blue, ready to hear anything from him.

“Which do you like more, Dark souls or Bloodborne?”.

The two boys chuckled, still wrapped in a warm embrace.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Button threw his head into the pool of cold water that was the boys bathroom sink, drowning his face in the white ceramic bowl of grey water, populating it a murky red, red blood. He soon tore he head back out, starved for air, hitting the side of head on the tap and holding back a large scream he kicked the tiled wall. His stomached bubbled and sputtered as he could feel it trying to twist and turn in knots.

‘Im Ok, Im ok’ said to himself, rubbing away the water from his eyes and pushing his wet fringe away from his face.

He looked at himself in the mirror, he began to see what everyone else was seeing, a face like beaten dog, bruised and splintered, missing teeth and split lips. He didn’t know what was happening to him, he was back, he was alive, he could live the dream he wanted, that he prayed for…then why did he want something, something he didn’t even know, unaware if it was physical of just psychological. He craved for it, he couldn’t understand what ‘it’ was, then it came….’it’ came for him.

“You’ve got the cravens in your head mon” joked a voice, a demonic cruel voice, breaking the silence in the room .

Button swung his head around the bathroom, his heart deep in his gut.

There was nothing, an empty room, devoid of a face to own a such a voice.

“Still here kid, Still stuck your mind” again spoke the foreign voice, pressed so close to button, like a tumor.

Again button shot his head around the lavatory, seeing nothing.

“where are you?” spat button, darting his eyes back and forth, up and down.

“Here” replied the voice, Button identifying its owner and falling down onto the wet sticky tiles, looking up into the ghostly mirror, a dead face gazing down at him. The Zebra, the Guy, his body a mix of black white and red all over, insides spewing to outsides, eye’s black and empty.
“I’m still here , I’ll always be here, always here inside your mind, its cosy in here ya know, lots of pain, lots of buried sadness” laughed the ghoul, his mouth twisted and sickly.

Button drove his hoofs up against his eyes, shutting them tightly, locking them shut trying to hid from the nightmare.

“Still here, I’m not leaving, you’ll never let me” again cheerfully said the voice, so deep in buttons ear that it rumbled in his head, feeling his rotting breath running down his neck.

“Shut up!” yelled Button, swing his arm up against the side of his head, beating away the noises, beating away his senses.
“Never ever can I ever leave forever” cruelly chanted the voice, fading out as did Button’s consciousness, the beating stopped, the voice stopped, it all went black.

..

.

“Button Mash?” creped in a familiar voice.

Button woke up, his mind in shambles, his brain in reset.

“Why the hell are you on the floor?” reverberated the voice, different but ugly all the same.

The mocha Coat Colt creaked open his eyes, looking up he could see the blurred shape of a manila student with a sweater draping of his neck and a gold watch strapped to his arm, he knew who it was, Back-slash.

Button stood staring for a second, his head felt like it was being pulled of and replace with a new one, a nicer one, a worth-while one.
“Oh hi Slash” Button replied, cracking a side smile and rubbing his neck.

“Eh…hi, why are you on the ground?” he asked, not noticing the blood in the sink or the bruises on buttons face.

“I uh…I was, well stupid thing happened you see, I was springing a leak but when I started walking away I slid in some piss and must have hit my head, how long have I been out bud” joked Button, lifting himself onto rickety legs.

Back-slash looked extremely confused, less humour and more dumbstruck to what Button was saying.

“its 1.57…bud, how uh, long have you been out?”.

Button walked towards the door with a smile on his face, “thanks Slash I owe you” politely replied Button, fully aware that he had been out for 3 hours, his new head was kind, happy and funny, a mask that wasn’t easy to wear, but a mask he needed to wear.

As button stepped out the bath room he realized exactly what time it was, if he didn’t hurry he would miss his last lesson, he was probably already going to be asked for the other two, he could miss this one, it was English, pushing his weight forward and what had just happened into the back of his head he sprung into a jog, sprinting towards his last lesson…but his first real boss fight.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As button turned the corner he crashed hard into a passing mare, knocking them both onto the plastic tiles and crumbling both of them in a mess, button lifted his head up and tried to say sorry until he saw who it was, who he prayed it wouldn’t be, by all the forces on heaven and hell why oh why did it have to be this white mare with pink and lavender hair, for whom the Belle tolls, it tolls for Button.

“Ouch! Watch it bucko!” snarled Sweetie, lifting her head of the ground and turning to her abuser, her face going dumbstruck as she saw who it was.

“Button!” she gasped, seeing the marks on his face.

“Hey sweetie” he replied, a half-forced smile on his face.

“What the heck happened to your head?” Sweetie asked lifting herself and lending him a hoof.

“Oh…uh just a bit of a fight, nothing big” Button joked, rubbing his arm.

“fight?, you don’t get into fights?” she confusingly rebutted.

“Which is why It was a pretty one sided fight” he again joked, this time brining a sweet chuckle that she tried to hid with her hoof.
“Oh, I never got to hear your opinion on the show?” Sweetie asked, picking her saddlebag of the ground.

“My opinion is going to be the same as any others, the show was fantastic” replied Button, losing track on time.

“Yes but what was ‘wrong’ with it?” she coaxed, wanting to here constructive criticism rather than praise.

“There wasn’t really anything wrong with it, at least for your performance….I guess…the lighting was off?” the colt replied to her, truthfully not finding any flaws with her show, she never had flaws when it came to her singing, it was as smooth as butter.

“C’mon, can’t someone just say something bad about it?” Sweetie said with frustration, crossing an arm over the other and looking towards the lockers.

“I’m sorry but there really was nothing for me to complain about...” he told her, watching her face sink.

“But” he continued “tell that piss-head bouncer of yours to go and screw himself” Button inputted not sure why it would matter but somehow thinking it would help.

“hmm, hugo, why what he do?” Curiously asked the girl.

“Bastard threw me like ten feet, I swear he broke my hip” Button told her in a somewhat amusing what, cracking his wrist to simulate his hip.
“hah, well I did tell him not to let everybody in…apparently almost everybody” cocked Sweetie, rolling her eyes as her smirk faded.
“Why did a creeper get in?” Button asked.

Sweetie gave herself a thought right there and then, should she tell the truth or play her hand…hmm,s he was going for the gamble.
“well, it was Backslash so I didn’t mind” she replied to him.

“Oh, did he try to get down and kiss your ass?” Button joked.

“Something like that…he was very…personal with his praise” she cooed secretly smiling at the tick Button was getting.

“Well I hope he didn’t try to uh….shoot you or anything” once again joked the colt, his smile becoming more and more plastic.

“thankfully he’s not a quick shooter eh, no he really made me feel….good about my act” she innuendoed again, making button twist his hoof on the floor, she had him right where she wanted him.

“Well…sounds nice…I better uh go and” Stuttered Button as he was cut off.

“I stayed at his place that night, he showed me some more praise in the morning”s he snarked, a smile on her face.

Now any other colt would have left and sat in their own jealousy but Button, he had known sweetie for a very long time, he knew when she was trying to make a point, and to her loss, button also knew what made her tick.

“well not bragging or anything but I also got a little praise that night, then in the morning, then mid-day…infact I think we had been ‘praising’ each-other about five times that day, best ‘appraisal’ I’ve ever had ” shot back Button a smirk on the side of his face and a laser-pointed look at the mare.

Sweetie’s face went red as she hid her anger like a bad habitat, but she couldn’t back down, it wasn’t in her nature, Button wanted to play like that, ok, she was game.

“I guess anything counts as the ‘best’ when you’re for once not just lying on your ass the whole time way through like a dead log” She replied with a high and mighty tone, swishing her mane with her hoof and fluttering her eye lashes like whips.

Button had taken a critical hit but he knew he could win this; he just needed to keep pushing.

“At least she doesn’t use her hooves like cheese graters” Proded the Mocha Colt, criticizing the girl’s handy work.
“We’ll hopefully you didn’t sneeze as you finished this time” defended Sweetie, keeping her ground.

“Oh one time” fuddled Button, buckling in the argument.

“You try to get that stuff out your tail, showers don’t exactly work”.

“We’ll…..you try to keep in the mood when your always having to moan at every little motion, gets pretty annoying, I hope backslash had ear-plugs”.

“oh oh “ shot back Sweetie “at least I don’t slobber all over the other person’s puss…” Sweetie shot back, getting cut off at the end by her passer-by.

“Howdy you two” stepped in Applebloom, acting casual when had been listen to the obvious ex-lovers.

“oh um, hey” they both replied, looking away from each other as they realized that more than a few ponies around them could hear there little argument.

“I’m glad I got both of you here, Applejack’s out tomorrow night so I thought I’d have a little movie night for the gang, I was hoping we could all catch up on old times you know” the yellow farm-girl said, trying to keep out of there fight.

“uh…well I think uh…that thing…on Wednesday” Sweetie stuttered.

Button feeling cocky stepped forth between the two.

“Sure, Ive don’t think I’ve got a ‘thing’ on tomorrow, what time is it” he replied to Applebloom, leaving Sweetie in half-way through her excuse.
“Just turn up around seven, bring a few drinks if you can” the mare replied to Button.

“sounds great….Look forward to it” happily said button, shooting a nasty smile to Sweetie who’s face went stone hard, she wasn’t going to be treated like this.

“You know what, I think I can miss my thing just this one time, for the good of my friends, I’ll bring some beers if I can” sweetie said to both of them, swinging her saddlebag over her back.

Button pierced his eye’s at sweetie who gave him a smirk.

“can we bring a guest with us” cocked Button.

Applebloom knew what he was getting at with sweetie, she wanted to say ‘no’ but then she thought about someone she could enjoy the night with, and so she gave (to the spite of Sweetie belle) a nod of agreement to button.

“Why don’t you bring old Backslash with you?” Button said towards sweetie, walking off towards his now late class.

“Maybe I will!” yelled Sweetie shaking a hoof to button, walked off.

Applebloom gave an annoyed sigh as she went back to her locker.

“Idiots” she whispered under her voice.

As sweetie turned the corner she bumped into a familiar Colt again.

“You called?” Asked Backslash, a coquettish smile on his face and an arm pushed up against a locker.

Sweetie looked at him and gave a sigh as she exhaustively replied to him simply with “Fuck off” then walked to class.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The day ended as it always did, the bell went and the sheep would flurry from the concrete walls like roaches, Button hoped aboard the rickety yellow Bus and found his seat, hoping to invite his girl to a little shindig tomorrow night, he knew it seemed mean to do it out of spite but he did truly want to spend more Time with Scarlet, those precious memories he had while being chained up in that storeroom help him survive there, helped him realize why life was something he wanted.

The dim faces soon poured into the metal vehicle, Colts and mares with not a care to what was around them, they were hungry…for what button couldn’t tell. Rumble stepped on with Scarlet a few teenagers behind, Button could see him moving towards the seat next to him and button gave alittle nod to the empty seat away from him, Rumble seeing this little gesture decided to annoy poor button but swinging hard next to the Colt and spreading his arm around Button’s shoulder.

Scarlet stopped at the two and gave them A displease look as Rumble gave a stupid smile, Button merely gave a shrug.

The orange mare cheerily slumped across the colts and put her head against button’s thigh.

“So how’s your day been” asked Rumble, putting his saddle bag onto Scarlet's stomach.

“Pretty good, although I keep getting people staring at my face” Button replied, playing around with the girls mane.

“When do you think they’re going to heal?” Scarlet asked, looking at the Mocha colt with big dazzling eyes.

“In a few days I hope, I’ll have to see a dentist on the missing teeth though” said Button, putting his tongue in an empty slot and giving a yelp as the sting of pain rattling in his mouth.

“Oh did Applebloom ask you about the movie night?” Rumbled told Button Mash.

“yeah which reminds me, Scarlet, do you um…want to come with me to Applebloom’s house tomorrow night?” Button asked, not sure how she’d go meeting Sweetie.

The orange mares face went blank then sad as it was clear that she wouldn’t be able to make it.

“I’m sorry Button, I can’t I have to go for tutoring with miss Rarity, can we try for another time” she replied to him, unaware of the stab this would do to button’s ego.

“Are you sure you can’t make a rain check” Button pleaded, biting his lip.

“I really wish I could but I just had my first lesson yesterday, I promised her Id show up tomorrow” the mare replied.

Button gave a sigh and sunk his head down until Scarlet softly put her hoof on his cheek and brought him down for a loving kiss.
“I promise I’ll try to work something out another night, just this once is all” she told him, as Rumble looked away from the two’s show of affection.

“Love you babe” Button said to her, loosening his shoulders and lifting the sides of his mouth.

“Love you too” she replied, running her hoof threw his mane and kissing him quite passionately.

Rumble gave a less than believing cough as the two ponies locked their lips in a thick romantic tangle.

Scarlet soon softly pulled button’s head down till it was in ear level with her mouth, with a voice like honey she told him “uh Button….I can uh… feel your joystick pushing up against the back of my head”.

Button’s face quickly dropped as he tried to subtly cross his legs, making Scarlet giggle.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The three friends talked happily threw the bus ride, finally button had gotten back what he wanted so much, he was finally living again, the pain, the fear was finally gone, things had become normal once more, Button was happy.

“Please, Steampunk is way cooler than sci-fi, top-hats and moustaches beat lasers and robots every time, it just looks cooler” Scarlet argued to Rumble, having a rather quasi-nerdy discussion about cosplay.

Rumble gave a mere scoff at the woman’s choice of genre as button just sat quietly and listened to them, he didn’t mind if he wasn’t contributing, he was just happy to be part of it, he looked out the window to the town of ponyville, its cottage houses and colourful tones made button feel warm inside, he could see mother’s strolling there fowls, ponies stopping on the street to talk to one and other, happy faces with cherry cheeks, it was sickenly sweet to Button and it strangely made him happy.

“No no, what I’m saying is that in the original Han clearly shot first, everyone knows that” Rumble rebuddled.

“Well I’ve only seen the special editions so I guess…Button, it’s your stop” Scarlet pointed out to her Colt.

“k, Im off them, see ya tomorrow babe” Button replied; giving the orange mare a kiss then picking up his saddlebag and standing up onto the metal row.

“Oh I see how it is” joked Rumble folding his arms and pouting.

“Hah, love you too bae” replied Button, as he walked to the front of the bus.

“Hey kid, friends of yours?” the bus driver asked, a toothless smile on his pudgy face.

“Hmm” replied button as he hoped of the last step, not really listening *HRRRMPHHH*!!!.

Button once again bumped into someone, someone he above all things else did not want to meet.

“Hello lad, you wouldn’t happen to be Button would you?” asked a heavy build Colt encoiled in the bright shinny armour of an official Canterlot royal guard officer, his face telling button exactly what he wanted.

“y..yes” Button stuttered, frozen solid like a deer in headlights, his face went white.

“I’m glad we found you Mister Mash, you’ve been missing for quite some time, your mother’s been worried sick” he said warmly but still with the stink of ulterior motives.

“I was staying at a friend’s place is all” Button spat out, his voice cracking slightly as the large Stallion stood over him like a mountain.
“That’s what I want to talk to you about, please Sir, if you’d like to come with me I’d like to discuss your were-abouts over the past two days…..and your exact location yesterday night during the time of seven and twelve-thirty” The officer stated, putting his massive hoof on Button’s shoulder, harshly ushering him to walk, Button could see that he had his baton at the ready encase….encase Button tried to run, he was caught, caught like a rabbit in a trap.

The officer led Button to a sleek white coach with red and blue lights atop the roof, inside was a tangle of cables and cords somehow tied to the dash and all hooked up to a silver laptop, one the left side of the vehicle sat another officer, looking to Button and then turning her attention to the Larger fellow next to the boy, she gave a neutral nod then put her radio to her mouth and said something that Button couldn’t make out through the plastic coated windows, he knew it had to do with him.

“Please take a seat Mister Mash” the officer ordered, opening the caged up back of the vehicles, his large brow ruffled in a ‘do it now’ sort of way.

The cute Mare officer sat up in her seat and looked to Button with a happy smile, she must have been in her mid-twenties.

“Hi Button my name officer Jessy, we’ve been looking for you, your mother’s been” the police-women was silenced by the large Colts raised hoof, he had already told Button the exact same line, rehearsed and perfected.

“Are we going to my Mom?” Button stuttered, the uncomfortable seat digging into his back.

“We’ll be meeting her at the station, we picked her up this morning from your house, relax Button, we just want to ask you a few questions when we get there” she replied, her voice kind and polite, for a second Button believed her.

The Mare began typing on the silver laptop as we drove, the larger of the two policemen flicked on the radio, nothing enjoyable, just bad country and the distorted calls of the police-radio as numbers and orders came through like dis-embodied black box.

“So what happened to your face” grunted the Colt checking his rear view mirror to old and new bruises on Button’s face, eying them like evidence to put in an antiseptic bag.

“fight…” The 16 year old replied, sitting with his hoofs in his lap, afraid to move.

Suddenly the coach belted over a pot-hole in the road, bouncing the police-vehicle's insides around like boggle pieces, the Mare’s arm smacked against the side of the laptop making it swing on its hinge towards the centre of the coach, Button could see the screen as plain as day.

Name: Button Ashley Mash

Current Age: 16 years 10 months.

Colour: light brown Coat, ochre Mane, C-Mark: grey cross with small triangular marks inside.

Button saw the charge.

‘Wanted in the case of Guy gwangee and juicer gang, possible accomplice to Snips Abdul Mckowsky, seize and detain imminently, may be found carry narcotics and or possible weapon.

The Colt’s heart tore so far down into his gut that it must have ripped out and fallen onto the road. They caught him with his hooves as red as blood, Mom, Scar, Rumble…Sweetie…all gone.

Button sank deep into the seat, his luck had got him only so far, he just should have left with snips…at least he’d have been free.
But button could never been free, he had never truly known freedom, the taste of cool winds was foreign, he lived life a bird contemptly trapped in a cage.