• Published 16th Jan 2014
  • 3,629 Views, 188 Comments

Button Mash: High School Life - rock4u7



The holidays are over and Button heads back to the harsh world of teenage life, trying to survive it with his rag-tag group of friends,The Gamers and Gamettes. Pick up your controller and plug right in Player Two.

  • ...
17
 188
 3,629

Season 2 Part 7: Choose Your Party.

Author's Note:

Hope you enjoy just a nice chill read this time, question by the way, what do you think of Scarlet thread, I'm guessing when most people started this fic a year ago they were expecting a Button/Sweetie story and maybe not exactly whats going on now, either way I hope you enjoy reading these stories, I'm glad I got the chance to expand this story from Sniggles original work and make it as big as it is. happy reading.

The sand dusted over the tar black road sending tiny shimmering diamonds flying into the warm air and settling on the road-side, the sky was a pitch black type of night, tiny stars twinkled above the cragged mountain dunes. The highway road was almost dead, cept for the few ghost coaches that zoomed past in a red neon blur and barreling into the distant nowhere. The landscape has a harsh barren nothingness, eaten by the grain of white sand and chalky dust, cactus trees spurt from tiny outcrops with arms raised high and tin spines that prodded out with sharp ends. A nothing car could be heard, zooming down the highway, its wheels making a crunching sound as it ran across stray sand gusts, its rickety frame shaky and coughing plumes of grey exhaust.

*BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG* motored the coach, zooming past a 110 speed side with little awareness, in the distance was the faint lights of a caravan park, illuminated by thick wooden stalk with rusty field lights at the top, tiny metal coffin boxes ran through its plots.

The coach pulled into the turn off, its wheels spitting tiny eroded rocks behind it. The zone was both alive and decollate, caravans sat in rows along the entrance with small electrical signs of life showing, a large grey brick shower-block and bathroom stood half eaten in the far corner, two skinny Colts whispering to each-other as a tiny white bag exchanged hooves, their eyes staring to the maroon coach in paranoia.
*ERRRRRRRR* screeched the vehicle, parking up beside the only structure that resembled a home, a red brickwork house with a tiny dim yellow light shining from the window, a few cacti shrubs for a front garden.

In the light of the curtain a silhouette moved, hearing the wheels come to a screeching stop, the coach’s door cracked open and a red haired colt stepped out of the vehicle, his neck wrapped round with a white bandage and his body hidden in a brown leather trench coat.
Rudey looked around the yard and adjacent caravan park, the whole place had a placid deadness to it, even as every lot was packed with a silver camper or green tent the entire establishment seemed to smell of crippling loneliness, a Colt would come here to forget his sorrows...or dull them with what-ever drug he could find.

The ginger pony walked through the half-standing chain-link fence and past the chipped lawn gnomes, approaching the rosewood door and ringing he was greeted by a disembodied voice from a speaker box just above the doorbell.

“Are ya lookin’ ta stay the night or are ya hopin’ ta stay a while”.

Rudey guessed by the half-thick accent that this was his guy.

“I’m lookin’ to stay for a while, I was told by Saul Whipinlash to come to you for…assistance” Rudey replied, hearing a muffled sigh over the intercom.

“…bollocks, all right come in” the voice agreed, the wooden door rattling as tiny locks were dismantled. Rudey was greeted by a 40+ Colt with a brown coat and half-maintained beard scruff, his breath smelt of bitter whiskey, his cutie mark a soccerball.

“Names Kickin” he announced casually, ushering the Red colt into the house and re-locking the door, his body was a thin frame but had somewhat muscly legs, a tattoo was visible on his right arm that spelt out in imitation hand-written underlined font “Care And Nurture” with two names below reading “Pitt” and “Button”.

“Names Rudey Hill” The gangster replied, finding a lounge chair to sit on.

“I take it you’re the chap who survived that Crimson heart thing” Kickin asked, heading into the kitchen and pulling two long-necks from the fridge.
“Aye that I am, ended up with my neck slit” Rudey replied, carefully rubbing his bandages at an itch he couldn’t reach.

“Shite, by what I heard some drugged out kid busted in and shot up the place, shame too, I used to run product for Guy” KIckin said half-heartly, acting somewhat drunk.

“Aye aye, look eh…kickin, Saul told me I could come to you for somewhere too lay low, is that true?” Rudey asked, slumping into the brown hide lounge chair, the thin light of a tall lamp the only real light in the roof.

The Colt replied with a pop of his beer top, sad brown bubbles fizzling from the glass lip.

“Depends, how hot are you?”

“they know my name….my face, my address, my family”

“and what did you do to provoke the fuzz now, so I can get an idea of what a fucked up gods damn mess your in?”

“they want me for what I know about the Crimson hearts raid….aswell I burnt down an apartment…and If they find the work I did for Guy then I’m really fucked”

The Brown colt pressed the cool beer up against his head and let out a exhausted sigh, rolling the bottle across his forehead.

“Ok, so you’re a level 5 job, shit….I tend to handle level 3ers to 4s. Ok well, we don’t get any of the royal guard around these parts cept for the odd highway policeman, Ill sort out some documents and set you up with a new ID, till then there’s a spare cabin in C plot.”.

“thanks uh…Kick” Rudey replied lifting himself up from the spongy lounge and heading back towards the door, the second limey following sleepily behind.

“You’re lucky I owe Saul, remember that, if it wasn’t for him I’d never take on a level 5 client like you”.

“Cheers”.

Rudey again looked out across the trailer park, sand and trash littered everywhere with dirt roads that cut across the dead grounds like small boxes, splitting the area into little plots of dusty soil. A plot, B plot and the one we would be staying in, C block. C block was little more than a few wooden cabins with a horrible faded pink paint job that cracked of like flakes, each structure had a heavy wooden door and a thin rusty ariel protruding from the top, reminding Rudey of a crack-den. This would be his new home.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

*Crshhhhhh* came hot smoke from the yellow bus, grinding up against the curb and in front of Button, its door lazily sliding open as once again the stern face of scruffy was seen, his grey muzzle drooping as he had a small toothpick in his mouth.

The sky was now a faded orange as the amber sun crawled out from behind the mountain and spat sun-rays out onto the waking ponyville.
Button looked along each window on the bus, a young face behind each one. He dreaded the one 3 seats from the back on the right, his seat and….Scarlet’s.

There was a huge lead ball in Buttons stomach; he could feel it tearing through his gut as a new ball started to form in his throat just as heavy. The colt gave a large gulp as he shakingly stepped onto the bus.

First row,he could see her in the far distance her blood red hair conflicting with the blue imitation leather on the seats, she saw him, her face gave a smile as she gave a slight wave and waited for him to accompany her .second row; there were other people near her, Rumble like always but also Scootaloo…and applebloom….diamond tiara and…Sweetie Belle, all of them chatting to each-other.

Third Row; “oh gods what are they saying, are they talking about me? I cant tell”, Fourth Row; please just don’t noti…shit, they all see me, there all staring, waiting for me..oh crap” Fifth row; “Ok Button you can do this, everything’s normal it’s all cool, sixth row; “Im fine Im fine..Im fi-i-i-i-ne. seventh row; Shit shit shiiiiit”, eight row; I cant do this oh gods help me, ninth row; “AHHHHHH!!!” Tenth row; “hey Guys” button announced taking his seat next to Scarlet and acknowledging them, his face smiley and care-free.

“Morning babe” The Orange mare said, giving him a warm hug as he slunk into his seat. “So the group was just telling me about the party”.

“oh..oh really, what about” Button chuckled awkwardly.

“Just about how you got drunk and fucked Sweetie belle behind my back” Scarlet replied cheerily.

“Whaaaaaaat!”……..Button spat, shaking himself back into reality.

“I said how they were saying how good mean mares is?” she retorted confusingly.

“oh” Button stupidly replied, rubbing his eyes.

Rumble (slinging himself from the forward seat as usual) asked Scarlet if she had met any of the other gang, applebloom, tiara etc.

“Have you met Sweetie Belle” he chirped, taping sweetie on the shoulder who was pretending to be texting.

Sweetie turned around and confusingly waited for a reply.

“Oh uh, yes we have actually, her sister Rarity is my tutor” Scarlet replied.

“ha yeah that right” the white mare began “Oh she asked me to tell you if you could make it friday after school, Thursday tomorrow she’ll be at Twilight Sparkle’s”.

“Heck yeah, she’s the best, honestly ..Sweetie belle?...I think, she’s such a good teacher, very thorough” Scarlet chatted, flick the strands of hair from her face, here Mane was somewhat different to most Ponies, it was a bright red and black tipped at the ends of each hair, it also parted just left of the centre of her hairline causing two feathered fringes to drape out each end like an arch, it tended to brush just up against her right eye.

As Scarlet began to chat with Rumble Sweetie shot Button a somewhat sour look as she returned to texting on her phone, giving the ball in button’s gut an extra ten pounds, he began to stare out the window as his girlfriend sung herself over the seat in front of them. The clouds looked a wispy pink, all saturated in the bathe of morning light, there rickety old coach cut through the sky and little more than a snail’s pace, button in the distance could see the countryside, green grasslands and grey mountains. He could feel himself growing tired, Button closed his eyes and fell asleep, resting against his seat.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

“Have you got all your things packed, your clothes, sheets, books and electronics, are you forgetting anything?” Karen Mash asked, her face picking against the colts mane and appearance.

“Hah, Mom I've got everything trust me” Replied Pitt Mash, his head being assaulted by the prodding hooves of his mother, scuffing his mane and styling it to a cleaner less shaggy look.

“I'm sorry hun, its just your about to leave, I'm just being…all old and stuff, do you have your dorm key, your coach keys, have you got all your books?” she again asked in paranoia.

Pitt carefully wrapped his arms around her and gave her a loving hug as she began to tear up in his embrace.

“It’s just…Your off to college now, it’s going to be weird not having you around anymore”.

“ha, you mean not having me glued to a computer screen or rumbling the house down with my guitar amp”.

“Pretty much…I really am going to miss you dear, my little handsome man” she chuckled, pinching his cheek, “you’re the spitting image of your father”.

“Thanks mom” he chuckled back, giving her a hug as she held back a croaky whimper.

“you’d better go say goodbye to Button, though I don’t think he really wants to talk right now, he’s been locked away in his room for the whole morning, so hey, say your farewells while you have the opportunity” Karen coaxed, her large blue eyes somewhat reddened by invisible tears.
“Im about too, I know this is going to hit him hard, ever since dad left” Pitt confided in his mother, sleeking his blonde hair out of his face.
“He should be fine he’s a big boy now, though I wonder how its going to be now…just him and me”.

The older Mare rubbed her forehead, her thoughts scattered and murky, half a bottle of bourbon still flowing through her system.
“You’ll do fine for now, I’ll make sure to call as soon as I get to Fillydephia”.

“Please do hun…you’d better go say your goodbyes to Button you’ve go pick up Mel and Boomer at there’s in 5 minutes” Karen notified him, making a jeering movement to him that pointed upstairs.

“I’ll do that now, I’ve got a present for him anyway” Pitt replied kissing his mother on the cheek and handing her his last two boxes to pack in the coach.

The brown colt walked up the stairs and towards Button’s room, the door was closed and the sound of Metal Gear Solid could be heard. Pitt opened carefully the door and looked to see his younger brother playing his PlayStation, pressed right up against the TV with headphones plugged in.

“Button?” Pitt asked, stepping into the room, his hoofsteps creaking against the floorboards.

The ten year old boy didn’t reply, the only sound he made was the incessant clicking of toggles and buttons, his mind unaware to the rest of the world.

“Button…you there bro” Pitt again questioned this time jerking the young colt’s shoulder with his arm, shaking him back to reality.

“wa..wahh…oh, yeah man” the child crudely replied, his teeth clamp down on his tongue as he snuck around guards.

“aren’t you gunna say goodbye to your big brother?” .

“oh…yeah..bye” Button replied, slipping back on the headphones and resuming his game.

With a swift and powerful movement Pitt swept Button up with his powerful grip and gave him a legendary bear hug, crushing Button’s ribs and shattering his bones as he gasped for air.

“I'm going to miss you Butt head, no more chillin’ with my baby brother!” he jubilantly huffed, squeezing Button tighter and tighter ashe started to go blue.

“Breathe…bre..athe..breathe” rasped the young colt kicking and trying to escape, his tiny frame thrashing about as his brother’s large arms locked him in place. Finally Pitt released the poor child, plopping him on the bed in a ball of gasps and coughs.

“W..what are you…trying to do…kill me” Button heaved, taking in large gulps of oxygen.

“Eh you’ll be fine, you can take a little asphyxiation cant you, heh, where’s my goodbye, Im heading to college, any final words before I leave?” Pitt asked, the small Colts face immediately going from angry wheezing to solemn sadness in a heartbeat.

“Just..eh…take care, how long are you…leaving for?” squeaked Button, picking his propeller cap from off the floor and pretending to take interest in it. Pitt Mash looked at him and rubbed the back of his neck as he tried to word out a decent response in his head.

“Ill try to visit when I get the time, it’s going to be tough thou, me and the guys decided to go splitsies on a rental home in west Filly, you know where granny use to live. So yeah, plus I’ve got to figure out where all our instruments are going to go, like lets be real, four guys to one three bedroom house, not a lot of space….things could get pretty gay, know what I’m saying”.

“Pitt?” Button asked.

“yeah” his sibling replied.

“why are you going to college,you don’t need it to do music”.

The older Colt rubbed his teeth along his bottom lip.

“Well, I love playing music, rocking out with the guys but…I like other things as well, I’d like to study English and history as well, maybe do some writing or art, I don’t want to be doing one thing my whole life you know, it’s a big world out there….lots to see…..lots to do” Pitt explained, realising that what Button was really saying was that he didn’t want him to leave.

“Button” he continued “this isn’t like dad, I’m not leaving our lives forever, far from it, I just want to go see the world while I’m still young, you never know when your gunna kick the bucket,”.

Button just nodded in dis-genuine agreement, his face long and shoulders slouched.

Pitt looked around in discomfort, hoping to get some sort of response.

“Please bro, can you give me something here?”.confided the brown Stallion.

“Like what, your leaving that’s it”.

“Then why do you look so sad about it”.

“Because ‘I am’ sad”. Button confessed, smacking the controller against his lap.

“We’ll I was at least hoping we could have some heart to heart before I leave”

Button turned his attention back to the TV, a small sob coming from him.

Pitt sat next to the young colt, not saying a word, just watching him play, both of them watching the character move around on screen.

“I don’t know why….but I’m going to miss this” Pitt confessed with a melancholy smirk.

“Miss what” the young boy replied in confusion, most of his attention and willpower focused on the game.

“Video Games, seems like at least every other night where either playing halo or minecraft, street fighter or Mare-e-o Kart, its like the passing of an era or something…I don’t know why…but it makes me sad” the older one explained tapping his hooves against his legs in a metronomic rhythm.

The game paused.

Button slowly put down the controller and wrapped his arms around his big brother, burying his face into his arm as he made muffled sobs, Pitt putting his closest arm around Button’s shoulder and resting his check on the boy’s mane.

“I don’t want you to go”.

“I know Button…I know”.

..

“Hey bro, I’ve got something for you, check your drawer over there”.

The young colt slowly lifted himself out of his brother’s arm and wiped his eyes, giving a slight sniffle as h stretched his hoof over to his wooden clothes draw next to his bed. Inside was a felt blue cloth. Button took it out and looked confusingly at Pitt who simply nodded humbly at the fabric, there was something inside it. Unfolding the cloth Button found a thin gold link chain with a shimmering golden moustache design hanging on the end, Button’s confusing turned to a giggle as he remembered how him and Pitt would sneak into their father’s bedroom and wear his paparazzi gear.

“Read the back” Pitt asked, pointing to the jewellery.

Button flipped the facial fluff and read the words engraved into the gold design.

‘The Stache’

Again Button wrapped his arms around his brother this time trying to mimic the tight squeeze he was given night two minutes ago, hilariously failing to match the strength of his older sibling.

“Oww I think you broke my rib bro” joked Pitt, pretending to feel out of breath.
“How much did it cost you?”.

“Doesn’t matter, it’s yours Button, a little reminder that your big bro isn’t such a dingus sometimes” chuckled Pitt, ruffling Button’s hair. He looked at his watch and bit his lip.

‘”Crap, well I’ve gotta head now if I want to pick up Boomer and melodyBlues on time” the older pony announced, slowly lifting himself of Button’s bed and stretching his back out.

“Now remember Button, no crime, no drugs and most importantly NO Mares, they’ll mess you up”.

“Will do bro” Button replied, clipping the necklace around his neck.

“I’ll call you from Filly, bye” consoled the chocolate brown Colt, his blonde mane somewhat shimmering by the light rays from the hallway.

“Bye Pitt” Button returned, a solemn smile on his mouth and a waving arm.

With that the eldest brother shut the door and left the room, the sound of his voice could be heard saying his farewells to his mother, eventually the door shut and the sound of a coach driving off was the last of him.

Another Mash had gone away.

..
.
“Button…..hey Button, wake up Button” came a female voice, pulling at Button’s shoulder, shaking him back into reality.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

“W…Wha” Button Mash stuttered, looking around in confusion.

Scarlet put her hoof to her mouth and gave a giggle. “dude, where already at school, you’ve been asleep the whole trip, c’mon let’s get up, everyone’s already off except for you and me” she told him, pulling him up from the seat.

They both stepped of the bus and Button stretched out his arms.

“Your face is looking nice, no so…broken today” The short slender mare chatted as he woke himself up.

“oh….thanks” replied Button, feeling genuinely flattered by the comment, “I’m glad I don’t look like I just stepped out of Pulp Fiction” joked the colt, walking beside his girlfriend to her sitting spot.

“Hah, Someone go medieval on your ass, wake up the gimp and all that” Scarlet chimed back, once again flicking the stray hairs from her eye as she walked.

“You have no Idea babe, thankfully it’s over, I’m back…I’m here”.

“babe, whats this babe, you think where going out or something” Scarlet insinuated, her voice in a half chuckle.

“I assume so, you’ve been trying to get with me since we meet, I figured I might as well throw you a bone” the Colt replied, both of them turning the corner between the gym and sports field.

“we’ll then let’s just say your ‘Bone’ throwing needs a little improvement if you catch my drift” Scarlet cooed, bouncing her eyebrows at him.
Button made an exaggerated shock face as he pressed his hoof up to him breast.

“I think I was pretty good if I do say so myself” he protested giving her a bump with his side.

“Sure sure, just remember, it’s not always about you, give me some leeway, it’s about the journey not the destination, especially when the destination involves you making a cum face like you just had a stroke” Scarlet replied making a zombie face by rolling her eyes back and showing off a goofy half open smile.

“I do not do that” Button again protested.

“Your right, it’s really more authentic when you have the crotchety moaning sounds” the red headed mare affirmed.

“hey I don’t complain when you make the anime school girl sounds”, Button mimicked a high pitch mare, “Oh yes, oh, oh ah, yes, notice me sempai”.

Scarlet quickly pounced on him and locked his head in-between her arm and elbow, rubbing his scalp with the tip of her hoof.

“Nooogie”

“ow…oh…yes sempaii…ouch…notice…” Button cried still trying to maintain the voice.

“you’re a real pack of cards aren’t you Button” Scarlet commented, releasing him.

“I don’t know, I think I’m pretty boring” Button replied, more to himself than her.

“I guess I’m just into boring little nerds with Zelda tattoos then” Scarlet sighed in a snarky reply.

“And I guess I’m just into short little Goth chicks who are into boring little nerds with Zelda tattoos” Button cooed back as they finally made it to Scarlet's group, a small mass of dark shady Ponies with far too much eye-liner and well-worn metal band shirts.

Scarlet stretched up and gave Button a kiss on the lips then gave him a comforting hug, her feathered fringe bristling against his neck and sending quivering warmth up and down his body.

“Bye Babe” Scarlet told him as she wandered over and sat next to Styx her pale faced friend.

Button waved goodbye then proceeded to walk to the library, humming Song of Storms to himself.

Dum dadum dada dum, dum dada dada dum, his thoughts going around and around like a windmill.