• Published 16th Jan 2014
  • 3,629 Views, 188 Comments

Button Mash: High School Life - rock4u7



The holidays are over and Button heads back to the harsh world of teenage life, trying to survive it with his rag-tag group of friends,The Gamers and Gamettes. Pick up your controller and plug right in Player Two.

  • ...
17
 188
 3,629

Season 2 Finale: (3/3)

Author's Note:

Well I'm taking a well deserved break for a while, so I hope what I've left you can sustain your hungry brains for a duration of time.
I quick memo, I'd like to commemorate this chapter to the late 93 year old Thespian actor Sir Christopher Lee who has been a huge impact on me and my love of film and poetry, the world is truly a smaller place without you.

In regards to music within this chapter.
Sweetie's duet - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEprNGh3FRo
Button's song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puaklcVKU3U

Silence

..

.

*WHACK!*

Sweetie felt Backslash fly off her, his body tumbling across the grass and ending with a limp thud. She shot open her eyes and saw Button and Rumble above her, both their arms propelling through the air into the two jocks, they’re meaty frames falling flat onto the ground. Sweetie pulled herself up, her body still violently shaking, the jocks now fully aware of who was hitting them stood themselves up and drove themselves into the two smaller Colts, Huge arms pulling both Button and Rumble high into the air, neither of the two gave up, Rumble using all his might flew his hoof deep into the chin of the large golden Colt, four of his teeth flying across the night-time air like tiny pearls. Button on the other hand didn’t rely on brute force, he keep twisting around the large green stallion and hitting him on the more vulnerable spots, clipping the jock in the muzzle as he shook his head with mad fits. Sweetie backed herself up against the stone tunnel wall, her breathing feeling raspy and shallow, she peered out and saw the carnage. Rumble Pak and Button Mash fought like dancers, dodging, rolling and skirting the walls of matted thick hides. Gaining a few wild head shots before a stray punch would throw them to the ground, repeating there cycle over again.

Backslash still remained limp on the ground; Button had kicked him in the head with all the force he had, destroying any consciousness that the drunken colt had. His mane was a mix of oily tangles and mud.

*WHACK!*

*WHACK!*

*WHACK!*

The battle between the four was almost over, every one of them looking like tattered bloody pastels. The jocks couldn’t seem to see anymore, they’re eyes and brows where so badly beaten that they were madly swinging their arms in the direction of the small colts winded coughs. Both Rumble and Button had also sustained maximum damage, their faces ran wet with scarlet blood that glimmered in the pale moonlight, there groaning faces that of grizzled soldiers beaten and broken.

With a final hit Button swung his arm up and hit dead-center the chin of the Touchdown. His hulking mass plummeting to the ground and shattering against the dirt and grass.

There was little room for respite as the second of the two meat-heads rammed his head into Button’s stomach, flinging him upwards and landing harshly against the ground.

Rumble thinking creatively flew himself upwards and using all the strength in his wings; brought a propelled kick deep into the neck of the Green Stallion, the force reverberating up his cyan coat and stunning Rumble Pak in his place.

“NO!” violently gasped sweetie, the jock picking himself back up and charging at rumble with a mad blood-rage. Rumble quickly tried to fly himself into the air but was caught on the right leg by Cinderblock; his engorged arms swinging Rumble down like an axe and grinding him into the dirt, sending shards of grass and gravel into his body.

The Jock stood still, catching his breath, his face a purple wreck of what it used to be, he smiled grimly to himself as he twisted the Cyan Pegasus onto his back and grabbed him by the neck, jamming his large leg deep into Rumbles gut, crushing his ribs.

“AHHHR” Chocked the blue colt, his eyes red and blood-shot.

The jock raised his titanic arm up and jerked Rumble’s head so he could clearly see that the next hit would take every tooth out of the young stallion’s head.

“NO!”.

Like a blur Button threw himself into the Green colt, his head colliding into the jaw of the meat-wall and sending the two barrelling to the side, Rumble Pak collapsing against the ground and breathing heavily gasps for air.
..

..

The grassy plot now went silent in the dark moonlight cept for the shrill gasps of air from every Colt and mare upon that ground.

Sweetie looked at the wreckage on the battlefield; Stallions littered the field in crumpled balls of blood, there arms and legs spread out like disarmed weapons, there signs of life the gurgling from their throats.

“G…guys” sweetie Belle started, stepping out when she realized there was no-one left to attack, her tender frame still shaking and shivering profusely.

“*cough*.. *cough* Here!....Here I am” Sputtered Button, painfully lifting his head up and rolling onto his back, the bruises on his body the size of dinner plates.

Sweetie ran over to him and grabbed his hoof, she wanted to lift him but quickly stopped before moving him, she remembered something important from her health class.

“Ok…Button, don’t move” She told him, scanning up and down his body for any signs of broken limbs or open wounds.

Button gave another bloody cough.

The white mare put her other hoof over Button’s forehead, wiping the muddy blood-tinged hair from out his eyes, assessing the facia damage.
Apart from a split eyebrow and few grazes Button’s face apart from older bruises was in good shape.

Sweetie looked at him lying on the ground, his body a wreckage of beaten flesh. His hoof still felt soft and warm under hers.

“I'm still here” groaned Rumble raising his arm up from behind them and waving it around to remind her that he still needed attention too.

Sweetie preformed the same procedure on Rumble, his face not as lucky as Buttons. The winged Colts left eye was swollen and purple while his forehead was dripping blood, two of his teeth were chipped and his bottom lip was split.

“Does anything hurt?” Sweetie belle asked, getting a ‘what do you think’ look from Rumble.

“I think I can get up” he grunted squinting in pain as he lifted himself onto his rump, the bruised splotches on his body making him look like a beaten dog.

The mare put a hoof on Rumble’s shoulder.

“Thank you…so much” she stuttered, the jittery tone in her voice reminding her how dangerously close to shock she was.
The cyan stallion told her it was nothing, gripping at his side.

“errrrghhhh” groaned the colt to the far side, his body dragging itself across the jade grass in a limp forward direction; it was Backslash, his crippled frame trying to flee.

Button as if smelling prey lifted himself up, cracks and pops coming from his joints like old rusted machinery. He hobbled towards the white colt who still kept crawling away, trying to speed up his pace.

“Ahh!” spat BackSlash as Button gripped him around the back of the neck and lifted him up with foreign strength. The brown Stallion threw him into the cold red bricks of the tunnel, pinning him to it with his face towards Button’s, cowering in fear.

“Please I didn’t mean it I wasn’t thinking, Please Button ple *Whack!*” pleaded Backslash, his gut soon being filled with Button Mash’s fist, knocking the air out of him.

“I’m sorr *whack*” he cried out again, receiving another punch. Blow by blow Button slowly laid into the colt, grinding him deep into the granite wall, his body dangling loosely in Button’s iron grip.

*whack*

*whack*

*Whack*

“Button stop, please” Sweetie belle pleaded, not wanting to see this go on any longer. With that Button mash released the colt, his body falling down and crumbling at his feet, short shallow breathe leaking from his lungs.

Button turned around and slowly limped back towards his friend, falling down at their side and resting on his side. The steam long gone from his body.

The three sat in the field, respect and love between them.

“Sweetie are you Ok” Button asked, placing his hoof on her arm causing her to jump in fear, her white coat shuttering and shivering, her emerald eyes strained and scared.

“I!....I’m fine…I’m fine” she replied, calming herself down, Button and Rumbles eyes shot full of concern.

She took a deep breath as she coldly folded both her arms around herself, rubbing her fur in false comfort.

..

..

“Tha….thank you…so much…..both of you…..you saved me from” she began to sniffle.

“….t..that” Sweetie finished shutting her eyes and tearing up as she began to whimper uncontrollably, the realisation of her ordeal finally hitting her.

Rumble gave Button a nod.

With both his arms the mocha colt slowly wrapped his arms around her, the touch causing her again to jump skittishly but settle as she felt the warmth from it, she buried her head into Button’s neck.

“C’mon let’s get you home” urged Button, lifting Sweetie and himself to their feet. Button could feel his body stinging from each tiny movement, he tried to hid it, so did Rumble. The three looked at the large colts strewn out across the ground, their heads knocked out cold, Backslash too weak to even crawl away from the wall he was slung up against.

Button and Rumble escorted Sweetie home to the caracole boutique, her shaking slowly fading away with the shock.

As they stopped by the door she told them to listen, explaining that she didn’t want Rarity to know what happened tonight. They reluctantly agreed, saying their goodbyes and making she was OK.

“I still say we go to the guard” urged Rumble, his body covered in grass stains and dry blood. “We need to let them know about…about what backslash did…’Tried’ to do”.

“I just…don’t want to talk about it, can we please just not talk about it, I want to forget about…about it” Sweetie belle pleaded, pushing herself into the side of the door, her voice almost becoming frantic to the two colts.

“We can’t let this go Sweetie, he just fucking tried to…sweet Celestia just please come on, we’ll go to the guard station and get this all over with tonight” Protested the winged pegasi, looking to Button as if hoping for him to agree, the brown colt simply pushed his hoof between his nose-bridge and looked as if he was thinking.

Truthfully Button was terrified to go back to the police station; the though sending painful twists up his guts.

Sweetie Belle just simply shook her head defiantly, her voice in tiny wisps. “No, I don’t want to talk about it, no “.

Button opened his mouth.

“Sweetie, I think you should tell someone, at least tell Rarity”.

She looked at him, his face pointed at his feet.

“Button you can’t tell anyone, not Scarlet not your mother not anyone, I don’t, I can’t…just both of you please keep this between us”
“I don’t think you understand what just happened Sweetie” Rumble Pak argued.

“No I do, I fully understand that Backslash just tried to fucking rape me….I understand you too stopped him…I owe both of you more than I could ever possibly imagine, But I will not be whispered about as the mare who almost got raped by the head student in English, so please for the love of sweet fucking Celestia don’t let this leave us….please”.

Suddenly there was a heaving sound behind Sweetie as the purple wooden door opened wide, standing there in front of the three teenagers was Rarity, her face twisted in anger; she had been listening the whole time.

“Where is he” Rarity barked.

The three ponies froze solid, their faces dumbstruck at the order.

“Where is he!” she retorted, staring at them with fiery yet compassionate eyes.

Rumble as if in a terrified trance point far off to the park entrance, the three unconscious colts still just in vision. Rarity’s gaze shot like a hawk at the crumpled wreck of a pony at the wall.

Moving forward the white mare wrapped her arms around Sweetie belle and kissed her on the forehead asking her if she was alright, Sweetie drearily nodded and sunk her head down, and realising what would come next.

“Sweetie get in the house please I’ll be back soon, Boys, Button…Rumble….thank you so much, if you need band-aids, antiseptic or bandages there’s a medical box in the bathroom upstairs, you can call your parents if you need a lift home, again thank you for protecting my little sister”. With that Rarity charged forward at a powerful march, her conviction flaring by her sides. Sweetie Belle Rumble Pak and Button Mash watched as she walked across the dreary green park and grabbed Backslash by his neck, telekinetically lifting him by his scruff and lifting him into the air, his lights all knocked out of him. Rarity storm towards the Guard station with him dragging behind, legs trailing through the dirt.
Small sobs came from Sweetie, her body ghostly and sad, faded purple strands of hair sunk down past her face.

Button again put an arm around her and cushioned her in his chest, not feeling so awkward about it this time. She told them about how she knew that the police would show up soon and ask her to give statements and evidence. Rumble and Button both knew they too would be approached for questions about what happened, they decided they’d wait with Sweetie for them to show up. The three went in the house, its warm atmosphere comforting them as they stepped out of the black cold and the pale moonlight.

“Uh Sweetie” Rumble asked, looking at both her and Button mash.

The white mare replied with ‘yes?’, her hooves insipidly overlapping each-other.

“We can’t clean up, not till after the guard show up…its….evidence you know” he told both of them, making Sweetie belle grind her teeth as she felt worse, being told she couldn’t even wash her face. They sat down on the customer lounge chairs, the soft purple imitation velvet relaxing Button’s aching body.

A silence soon fell upon them as they waited, and waited, brief comments being made but no real conversation springing up., it was a screeching awkwardness.

Button got up, the image of an incessant clock ticking in his head that sent his mind into a slow gruelling grate.

Rumble quickly shot a comment, “what are you doing, you ca-“ .

“Relax, I’m just stretching my legs” the brown stallion interjected, hobbling around the home business, the tall roof to high up for Button to see. He roamed around the house-hold waiting for a knock at the door, around him sat wooden shelves engorged with fabric, wools and other flowery textiles. The smaller rooms where packed to the brim with crafting materials and stuffed white manikins. The whole first floor reminded Button of Scarlet’s work room multiplied a thousand fold.

Rumble soon met up with Button, his hobbling far more lop-sided than the mocha colt’s, most of his lefts side in bloody spats of indented gravel rocks, nothing too nasty but to Button it looked like he had been at the wrong end of a machine gun.

Sweetie was still sitting on the spongey lounge-chair in the waiting area, her head between both her hooves as she whispered almost silently to herself.

“Should we go talk to her” asked Button, rubbing his chin as they both stared at her from between a doorway.

“It’s best to give her some time to herself “ Rumble replied, “she’s got it pretty rough right now and I really don’t want to treat o her toes more than I already have”.

Button gave a sullen nod in agreement. Both the boys continued there whispered conversation under the ticking of Rarity’s large white office clock.

“Thank you man, for picking me up, I tried so hard to run here but I couldn’t go any further” Button acknowledged, his ear going limp as he felt weak in admittance.

His friend put a hoof on his shoulder, “It’s ok bro…I don’t think without your quick thinking Sweetie would have….well….You jumped in there at the last minute is all I’m saying, I’m sure she’s thankful to you” assured Rumble, giving him a weak pat.

Button again spoke to his best friend “jeez, but what Slash almost did….that’s heavy”.

“That asshole got what was coming to him, I’m surprised you didn’t break his arms, you looked like someone different when you grabbed him, you looked …scary, slow, and when you lifted him up with one hoof”. Button wasn’t sure if he was being complimented or warned.

“Well, point is we won, when can you say a nerd beats up a jock right?”.

Button gave a half smile.

“Might cause the pricks at school to start singing a different tune to us eh” Rumble joked, clutching his side as he gave a weak chuckle.
Suddenly a light flicked on in Button Mash’s head.

“I’ll be back in a sec” he announced to the winged colt.

Charging up the stairs into the upper segment of the house he located Sweetie’s room and went inside.

Posters littered her bedroom with various boy bands and artists, Button noticed that on the right hand wall was a large gloss poster of PoisenJoke, his brother Pitt on the front cover with more eyeliner than he’d seen anyone wear (even Scarlet). Working off memory Button bend down and slid his had under Sweetie’s bed, feeling around for a familiar case, between old tissue boxes, empty soda bottles and a rather large red phallus Button managed to locate a small black leather-backed box with a special brass-imbued instrument safely held inside.

Creeping back downstairs Button began to pick his hoof causally on the tool, praying that the pigmy guitar was still in tune. It made a dry but enjoyable sound that had a slight echo to it. He creped through the doorway and looked to sweetie whose face was still deep buried within her sorrow. Button plucked each note slowly on the ukulele, trying to remember an old buried tune from long long ago, his finger-work not as good as it used to be but still he played on, looking hard within the frets to find what he was looking for.

The instrument began to sing a sweet tune that perked Sweetie Belles ears up from across the room.

Button hummed along with the melody, not forgetting the words but choosing not to sing them.

Rumble arched himself against the wall and began to listen as well, Button slowly approaching the sad white mare. She shrugged the notes from her shoulder and fell back into her solemn.

Button didn’t give up, he played on, the small device echoing sweet dulcet chords that made Rumble close his eyes and sway with the rhythm.
“Hmmmm mmm mHmmmmmm” Hummed the Brown colt, slowly adding in lyrics at the end of each verse, teasing the music girl.
Sweetie again brang her head up, this time her face in a soured look.

“Stop that crap Button its annoying” she crowed.

“You wrote it”

“Yeah I know, and it’s annoying” Sweetie retorted viscously.

“Then don’t listen” cooed Button, still strumming the notes in rhythm, what his big brother taught him finally paying off.

Sweetie looked agitated, her bottom lip hidden behind her teeth, a brief exhale coming from her mouth as she rolled her eyes.

Rumbling soon began to swayed too and throw, his head caught in the rip of the musical waves that came from the instrument like wet shimmering fabric.

“la la la diddy da dum” chirped Button, realising he needed to up the ante if he wanted his plan to work.

The pegasi joined and soon they both resang the opening lyrics, there tone somewhat off putting to the white mare.

“It’s nine o’clock on a Saturday, regular herd shuffles in, there’s an old Colt sitting next to me……making love to his tonic and gin”
The Mare began to hum the tune; she was finally giving in to the music, her talent greater than her sorrow.

Her voice whispering the melody with the two boys.

“He said girl can you play me a memory, I’m not really sure how it goes, but it’s sad and sweet and I knew it complete…when I wore a younger colts clothes”.

“la la la diddy daaaah, lala lilly laaaaaaaaaah”.

Sweetie couldn’t hold back anymore, here angelic voice broke through the sadness and the endless incessant ticking, echoing through the house and bringing a soft smile to Button and Rumble’s face.

“Sing us a song you’re the piano mare, sing us a song tonight, where all in the mood for a melody, and you’ve got us feeling alright” her words flows like honey, the pitch and tone as perfect as she had ever sung, the jitter and croak in her words now dissolved and turned to sugar.

Button plucked away as she continued to sing, Rumble quietly harmonising as he enjoyed her singing much more than his own. They played on together a sweet duet, the lyrics and chords dancing together like a musical waltz. Sending swelled notes into a colourful flurry of synchronized jazz .

A warm fiery sensation filled the room as Sweetie Belle sang, Button knew her magical talents weren’t in spells or tricks but in her music, she (even without knowing it) let out invisible waves of euphoria that would enthral a crowd in her rhythmic web.

They played on and on, Button slipping up in a few areas but sweetie remaining perfect in her singing.

Her horn began to glow a royal golden colour as she closed her eyes and released vibrant wisps of luminous dust.

The room seemed to glow with amber sparks, like a thousand fire-works wizzing around and popping like crackers, the music would flow upwards and settle on the walls, imprinting against the rafters like luminous orange runes. Rumble could see fire-flies flying around the duet, their buzzing insect wings a reverberation of the ukulele strings.

“Now John at the bar is a friend of mine, he gets me my drinks for free, and he’s quick with a joke or to light up your smoke but theirs someplace that he’d rather be”.
The murky blue glass of the windows soon because iridescent with the colourful punch of amber hues. The sterile clean floor began to glow xanthously as sparkling dots of dust pitter-pattered against the ground with tiny faint tings.

On and on they played for what seemed forever, the room dimmed by magic and the music, the glow from sweetie’s spell casting an orange glow over the Caracole Boutique. On the final line the magic soon began to fade away, as if it was going out with the gentle tide. The sun setting on the their sweet duet as Button plucked the final notes, Sweetie belle holding the last lyric for as long as she needed too.

Suddenly Rumble exploded in a fit of violent clapping and cheering, forgetting the wounds that he wore on his bare skin. His face lit up with exuberant eyes.

“Fucking Mint!” he cooed, causing both Button Mash and Sweetie Belle to give a slight blush.

They both gave a bow to the adoring colt.

“That was pretty good” Button told Sweetie, a ginger little smile on his lips.

“That was...amazing” replied the mare, her tone still somewhat croaky but here face none the less in a pleasant smile.

Both the two gave each other a hug and trotted over to Rumble, his frame slung up against the doorway in a casual lean.

*Click* went the door of the Carousel boutique as Rarity entered the room, her usually fabulous mane now in a droopy slump.

“Um…Sweetie I’ve got two ponies here who would like to ask you some questions….if you feel you want to talk with them, if you don’t that fine but…If you could I’d like you to have a cat with them”.

Sweetie slowly sagged her head and gave a weak ‘Ok’ as reality returned to them; she began to at a snail’s-pace walk towards her.

“And Boys….I’d also like if you could answer some question from the nice Officers, you’re not in any trouble but we’d really like to know the full story” Rarity again asked, speaking to Button and Rumble as if they were 5 years old.

All three approached the door as they could see through the cloudy window panes blue and red lights glowing faintly at the front of the house before switching off.

The purple wooden door re-opened and two Royal Guard Ponies stepped inside, one of the two wore typical silver-plated guard armour while the other was dressed in a loose fitting coat.

Button Mash’s fur began to stand on end.

At the door stood the same detective from Button last run-in with the authorities, there was no mistake that it was her, the same faded strawberry pink mane, the same bedazzling emerald eyes, the same callous un-interested gaze…Its was Detective Noble.

“Hello Mr Mash, it seems once again your falling on our radar” She said (in what could almost be considered a joking manner). Button swallowed his throat as the two officers approached him and Rumble.

“Officer Kenny, please ask these two boys here on what transpired tonight…I’ll sit down with the girl and ask her a few questions” June Noble asked, walking past the armoured up colt and up to sweetie belle, her black dress-suit now a brown trench-coat and ruffled white buttoned-shirt, her eyes looking some-what strained and tired.

Detective Noble sat Sweetie down back by the purple lounge chairs and looked at her with sympathetic eyes, taking out a small read notebook and black-fountain pen. Sweetie told the older mare the whole story, her body no longer shaking or jittery around coldly. She was tough.

The large indigo Officer stood between Button and Rumble, taking from his side a paper-back notebook and a mustard-yellow lead pencil, propping the utensil in his mouth and pressing it firmly against the white booklet.

“Ok gentlemen; please tell me about what occurred at the Ponyville Botanical gardens tunnel entrance 38 minutes ago”.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

2 weeks later…..

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

*Crackle* “hello…is this thingy on?” *kirk* “hello”.

“Where can hear ya fine Scootaloo” Applebloom replied, turning down the volume on her Skype call.

“We gunna do this or what” Button Mash announced, sitting at his Computer desk with a stack of Cheeto balls on his left-hand-side, a mountain dew bottle on his left with a pink straw prodded inside it.

“Sure sure, let me just….there we are, you guys ready”.

“Check” replied Button.

“Check” replied Applebloom.

“…Check” replied Sweetie Belle.

With that they all joined the MineCraft RP server, there blocky characters a mix of different cultural Icons. Scootaloo was quick to get punching wood while Applebloom crafted herself a wooden Pickaxe and started hacking at the Stone-blocks. Button and Sweetie belle both ran off into a dark cave and started slaying as many zombies and skeletons as they could.

“So….um sweetie…..if you don’t mind me asking….what happened to Backslash” Scoot asked, the skype call going silent for a few moments.
“…he’s still locked up last time I heard…I don’t know if he’s had a trial or not…I don’t really want to know either way” the white mare replied.

“Sorry I know you don’t like talking about it….are you right to go back to your group….I’m not saying Applebloom and Tiara don’t like having you around but…how’s things going with Sugar biscuit, Brevity and all that”.

“We’ve kinda talked about it and they said no one has any….dislike for me, they all said I’m welcome to hang it with them…. it’s just awkward without Backslash around is all” .

A quick silence followed as nothing but a cough from Scoot could be heard.

“The two large colts were also expelled and thrown in as accomplices ….apparently their father’s and coach rang up Rarity and abused her for what seemed like hours” added in Sweetie, trying to show her friends that it was alright to talk about it.
“What’d she do?” Button replied.

“She just politely told them the situation and hung up….I don’t know how she could though…they threaten her as if she was criminal”.

“Rarity’s a strong old Gal….you both are” the yellow mare replied. Building a small house inside the stone-block wall.
Sweetie gave a small unconvincing hum of agreement.

The three ponies began to play in silence, their characters doing every little interaction for them.

“Hey Button” Sweetie belle asked the colt, the sound of him gulping down a few mouthfuls of dew over the microphone could be heard.
“Yeah” he replied, wiping his lips of the sugary green water.

“I was wondering if you wanted to do an assembly performance with me in a week or two, you seem very talented with string instruments so I thought you’d like to you know…do something together” she said, striking dead a cave spider sneaking down from an abandoned mine.

“uh…I dunno Sweets…I don’t really uh…like going on stage” hesitated the boy.

Sweetie quickly replied, “it’s ok if you don’t, I just thought I’d ask and all that”.

“I’m not saying no!” rushed button, “I’m saying….just let me….brush up you know, come back to me in a week” Finished the brown colt, digging up a vein of iron.

The white mare replied simply with ‘Ok’. Returning back to their game.

On and on they played their blocky colourful experience, building and crafting for what seemed two whole hours and seven bottles of dew, cola and pepsi. Scootaloo was first to leave as Rumble invited her out for a drink, Applebloom was next as she was ordered by Applejack to ‘get off that blasted doohickie and go tah sleep!’. Once again Both Sweetie Belle and Button Mash were alone, a skype interface between them.

“So” sweetie belle asked, “How’s Scarlet”.

“Sweetie don’t” retorted the brown colt.

“No I’m serious…how is she?”.

“She’s alright, next week were going on a date to the theatre in Canterlot”.

“Cool, any Idea what you’re gunna watch”.

“…Cthulhu the musical”.

“Nice, somewhat unconventional”.

“Her choice of course” Button finished, there game beginning to go stale as their characters merely ran around on their stone-brick castle shooting spiders with arrows.

“Does it still hurt?” the mocha stallion asked genuinely, transparent on the topic.

Sweetie belle went quiet, unresponsive to his question.

“yeah…a little” She confessed.

In a halfway joking manner hiding unconvincingly an old truth “I felt that for a long time you know”.

“I know Button….I know”.

After a final stewing silence the white mare gave a large exhale signalling that it was time for her to hop off.

“You know Button…you really should re-learn guitar, you’re good at it”.

“I know Sweetie…I know”.

Ending the call Button hoped off the Computer and lay down on his bed, the soft touch of the blanket sending a twang of relief up his spine. He closed his eyes and plugged his head-phones into his ears, turning on his E-Z listening playlist.

“He was different….from the rest of the world….he chose the lovely every tiiiime” hummed Button lazily to himself, his head slowly falling into the clutches of sleep. His thoughts inevitably soon once again fell upon Sweetie Belle, not Sexual as his fantasies on her use to be but this a more affectionate one. Slinging his body drunkenly back out of bed he stepped out the dark corners of his bedroom and into the hallway. Knocking on his mother’s door, he entered and found her sitting on her bed watching old episodes of Cops.

“Mom…strange question but do you know if Pitt’s spare guitar is still here?” Button asked, rubbing his eyes.

She looked back at him somewhat dumb-founded, Button hadn’t taken an interest in music since he was ten, back when his brother taught him to play guitar.

“Uh…I think it’s still in its case next to my closet over their” pointed the mare, a tattered black casing imbued with old band stickers leaning dustily next to her wooden dressing drawer.

Button walked over and grabbed the instrument, giving a small quick ‘thank you’ to his mother as she stared back at him with an inquisitive smile.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

“E-C-G-D” Button hummed to himself, searching the fret-board for the right chords, its brittle strings somewhat out of tune.

“Ok…E-E-C…..G-G-D….repeat” he said to himself, the dusty instrument reverberating in his grip and licking up against the walls adjacent to him, filling the room with a rustic rhythm that held strong when Button played.

“Sound lovely” quietly announced Karen, her soft frame standing in the door-way, legs folded and a white coffee mug in her grasp.

Button gently looked towards her and then back to the old guitar, giving himself a loose smirk as he wiped the dust from the strings.

“It’s good to see you bust out your brother’s old axe Honey” Button’s mother said, her mane half tied back, loose chocolate strands of her hair bordering the side of Safire blue eyes, yellow light illuminating a quarter lip of her shadowed face.

E chord, C chord, G chord, D chord.

“Hey mom” asked the boy.

“Yes Button” she replied.

“Did Granma ever teach you any instruments?” .

Blushing she rubbed her head and began to think.

“Oh…I think my mother taught me piano when I was a young girl, I was never really good at it though, I could never keep tempo properly” she replied, taking a sip of her coffee.

“What about Dad?”.

“Hah, he played the heart-strings that’s for sure……other than that no, he never was the musical type”.

“Mom?”.

“yes hun”.

“Do you still have dad’s number?”.

“I know he owns that dusty old Motel off Canterlot west…but numbers, you’ll have to search the phonebook for that…Why do you ask?” .

“Just curious is all…” Button looked down at the wooden tool in his arms, his fiery orange eyes staring at it curiously as old tunes soon sprung back up in his mind like old boxes in an attic.

Both the two went into a peaceful silence as Button strummed away on the guitar, the old girl listening gracefully as she nodded her head along with the strings. Both their eyes slowly closing as Button played from his memory, getting caught in the tide of music like a small fish being hooked and pulled with the stream.

‘E-E-C….G-G-D’ he thought to himself, the hum of the wood massaging his arms and sending him sleepily to a numb rest, his arm simply lifting and fell in a lazy motion as he felt himself losing consciousness.

Yawning Karen stepped forward and ruffled his chestnut brown mane with her hoof, slowly leaving the room and saying goodnight to her young son who was barely awake, his body slumped over the guitar as he droopishly slid the instrument under his bed and slid himself into his red covers. Turning off his bedroom lamp and engulfing his bedroom in a blue darkness, he lay stagnant in his bed, a simple pleasant grin on his face as he felt himself slowly drift out of consciousness. Everything in his lift had seemed to finally slow down and had given him time to enjoy his life, to enjoy his friends, his hobbies, his desires and his hopes. Button Mash was happy….but for how long he did not know.

Either way he slept happy that night, the best sleep he ever had.