• Published 16th Jan 2014
  • 3,628 Views, 188 Comments

Button Mash: High School Life - rock4u7



The holidays are over and Button heads back to the harsh world of teenage life, trying to survive it with his rag-tag group of friends,The Gamers and Gamettes. Pick up your controller and plug right in Player Two.

  • ...
17
 188
 3,628

Season 3 Part 3: The Party Has Disbanded.

Click click click

The bittersweet taste of red blood stained Button's mouth as he Chewed his Cheeks and nipped on his lower lip, his eyes straining to stay shut as he tossed and turned in the heat of his bed, thinking, boiling.

His brain kept recycling the same conversations and scenarios over and over as he tried to cut out and replace little details trying so hard to get a decent outcome to what was now keeping him awake at three fifty-two in the morning.

Click click click, the hard-wood of Button's bed reverberated as with one arm he tapped his hoof against the bottom of his bed.

“How could you!” he imagined her saying, the same words appearing in every mental rendition.
It got to a point where Button imagined what everyone else would say as well, his mother and brother would look him in the eye and say “Your just like your father”, Rumble and Scootaloo would sneer and spit “how could you betray her like that, she was so good to you”....but worst of all he imagined....her face.

“How could you” Scarlet would say slowly, so slow as if the frame rate of time was butchered. “How Could you cheat on me....I thought you.....I thought you loved me Button”. Her face would sink, her eyes would dim, that beautiful black and red mane of hers would fall down and the girl Button felt so deeply for.

Would let loose a tear so sad and so horrifying that Button would drown himself in the flood of that single unforgiving teardrop.

Viciously Button tore himself up from his bed and leaped down onto the floor, burring his muzzle into the short carpet, pulling at his mane as he tried once more to restart the scenario in his head, to load a previous save.

“For fuck sake Button it's just a girl!” he angrily screamed in his head, not sure if he was meaning Sweetie or Scarlet. “You can handle it, this is shit that pissy little kids always deal with, don't act like it hurts you, don't act like you care, they both mean nothing in the grand scheme of things.”

With a harsh movement of his jaw he latched down on the inside of his mouth, the hot stinging pain now inflaming as Button again bit his lips, a quick real rush of feeling causing him to once again tear at his hair.

“Who cares Button who cares, You've only been going out with Scarlet since the start of the year, She's just some girl, She wasn't your 'first' anything, all she ever did for you was make you feel like less of a pile of shit than you actually are, no, actually all she was to you was some warm tight little hole for you to stick your joy-stick into when you felt lonely, don't be weak...end it!”

His felt his sour stinging tears flooding into the carpet as he gave himself a thrashing. Button was yelling at himself and he didn't believe it, worst and worst it became, the sentences tearing deeper and deeper into his heart.

“She means nothing to you Button, every time you're around her you get sucked in like she's some pale white succubus. You don't love Sweetie, you love the idea of Sweetie, you only want you go to her cause some force is telling you too, why not make your own decision for once, Scarlet won't torture you like Sweetie does. Sweetie's too smart for some dingy little Punk like yourself, she has a future and face it Button, you don't have a place in it. She only noticed you because Scarlet started noticing you...that's how partners work, there jealous back-stabbing creatures that will take all that you give them and at the end spit it out as if it meant nothing.

“That's not true!” Came another voice from deeper and more-far gone in Button's mental psychosis. The brown colt now literally battling his own consciousness.
“Sweetie Belle does love you, she wants to be with you”
“She only cares because Button told her no, Scarlet is nothing but an opponent to a fight, Sweetie doesn't even take it seriously any more...your a game to her Button, why would anyone care if Button Mash and Sweetie Belle got together, it will never happen, it isn't real and it never will be no matter how badly you want it too.

The optimistic voice was falling away now while the pessimistic one got loader.

'You've been with her before Button....you know how it'll end, as it always has ended, the same as before. She'll leave you...because your a monster, a demon hiding in a weasel's skin, a nutcase in an open basket for the whole fucking world to see, the closer people get to you the more they'll see what's really there....a psychotic little killer'.

Button's mouth was now so numb, the pain so repeatative that the poor boy couldn't even find the strength to bite down.

“Or...why not cut all your loses, don't do what your Father did Button, instead of picking one just leave them both, they won't care...really, don't people say the single life is the best life, no one to cut your wings or drag behind you like an anchor.


Leave it all Button, you don't need to be weak any more....Choose the one person who's saved you when no-one else would....pick me, pick you....Button Mash.

“When it comes down to it someone at the end will always end up alone anyway, death will make sure of that, let it go Button, let go of all the heart-ache and all the fear inside you, lye back and let who you are deep down take over, give me your mind and your body, GIVE IN AND GIVE IT ALL TO ME!”

Button looked up, dragging his head up from the ground and staring into his closet door mirror in the pale death of the moonlight. In that mirror he saw himself, blood dribbling down the sides of his mouth, his lip torn up like splintered wood, his eyes black and souless. Then he saw what he truly thought he was, what that pessimistic voice really was. Button saw himself, lying bleeding on that hard floor, illuminated by the blue and white tint of night. Button saw his brush tailed mane, Button saw his bold black stripes. In that mirror Button saw himself Smiling with a Cheshire grin and a carefree face. The Button that lived within Button.....was Guy.

“Let go Button, stop fighting me and give in” Button said to himself.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

“MOM!” bursted Button as he slammed his hoof down on her bedroom door, wiping the tear from his face and the blood from his mouth.

He pounded on her door, pressing all his weight into it as he felt something trying to pull him away, a darkness clawing at his back from the hallway.

Suddenly but expectantly the door threw itself open and Karen stood there with nothing But a dressing gown wrapped around her body and a confused and frightened look on her face. Button threw himself into her, wrapping both his arms around her side, the tear flooding from his face as he didn't even attempt to hold them back.

“WHAT what is it, what's happened!?” she asked, instinctively tightening her arms around her son as he wiped his eyes and looked up at her.

“I don't want to be dad...I don't want to be dad, I don't want to turn, I don't want to turn into a monster please please don't let me turn please” Button Mash howled, her face still unable to understand what the situation was.

“Now hold on, Button please, what's going on, who's turning?” Karen quickly replied, darting her eyes across what parts of the house she could see.

“I'm just like him mom, I fucked it all up, it's all twisted and mangled and its all my fault”

The mare slowly walked her son into the her bedroom and sat him down on the edge of her bed, trying to comfort him as he sobbed into his hooves.

“Button please tell me what's going on, I'm afraid I don't understand?”

the brown colt sobbed on for a few more moments as he composed himself enough to answer her question, this time he would give her the truth.

“Mom, When I first started going out with Scarlet....When I went to Applebloom's party.....I fucked up, I..I..I did what Dad did”

Button watched horrifyingly as Karen's face turned from confusion and anxiety to slow realization to sombre disappointment, her face going long but shocked at the same time.

“Wait....oh no...no....please Button please dont tell me...” Karen tiredly pleaded, rubbing her eyes as she came to her conclusion.

the boy's head dropped after a single nod as he started violently sobbing again, his Mother sitting down in front of his and placing an arm on his shoulder.

“Please Button, just...tell me what happened and we'll....sort this mess out I promise”

“I...Me....I fucked up mom....I got weak and.....It was a fucking mistake....I....I....I slept with Sweetie Belle”

Karen sunk her head into her hooves as she processed it all.

“Gods why did it have to be Sweetie” she mumbled.

Button went quiet.

“I didn't mean too I swear...I didn't want to hurt anyone, I just wanted.....I didn't know what I wanted but I swear on my life that it wasn't that I swear I swear!” Button again pleaded, he could see she was looking at him the same way she looked at Button's Father.

“Look Button...you've got to let Scarlet know, I don't know what else to tell you other than tell her exactly what happened”

“But....She'll hate me”

Karen gave a sigh as she rubbed her son's back.

“Not telling is the worst thing you can do to them, if you really love her....you'll stop hurting her, regardless of how things go afterwards, Button please tell her....Don't let her find out, I don't want any other mare to go through that like I did”.

Button again went silent.

They both sat there for a good long time as Button meekly sobbed to himself, Karen keeping him close until she walked him back to bed.

“Mom...” the colt weakly asked as his mother covered him over with the bed sheet.

“Yes dear”.

“I don't want to be like Dad”.

“Your not your Father....Your my Son... and I love you” Karen told him as she kissed him on the cheek and slowly closed the door, Button mumbling to himself as he faded off to sleep.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Button decided not to take the bus to school, walking to Rumble's place he got a lift in, convincing his friend to drive in instead of taking the school bus. Button knew he was a coward, he knew he was postponing it, but....something was telling him to hide and wait it out.

Arriving was the next scariest step, after thanking Rumble for the lift and paying him for his breakfast meal the two took there usual walk over to the library, Button's eyes darting Around madly for any sign of Scarlet, the fear within him very very real, now he would have to explain why he didn't take the bus, the 'moment' was drawing nigh. To Button it felt as if he was going to the gallows.

“You ok B, you seem a bit jumpy today, something got you on edge?” Rumble asked, finishing his hash brown, casting a suspicious eye at the brown colt.

Button thought for a second...a quick response came to him that he had though about on the ride over here.

“Im uh just treading on egg shells right now with Scarlet...we had a fight last night on the phone so now Im just...trying to stay low you know man” Button responded, feeling relief as it Removed Rumble's stink-eye.

“Ah your in the dog house eh, I find myself there every once in a while with Scoot, what was it...you'r not romantic enough, you'r not open about your feelings, your not giving her enough space, your not satisfying her needs...hell, you never lick her goods when she sucks yours...I got into a scuff about that one...more common than you'd think, so what is it?.

“well uh...we just had a spat about...me...being moody” Button replied, trying to convince his friend.

“not really a topic worth a lovers tiff” Rumble off-handily scoffed.

“but whatever, I hope you sort it out, though to be fare you should lighten up once in a while, I doubt your whole life is a midnight dreary, anyway it'll be good for you to hang out with the gang again, we've missed you man”

“anything new, conversation wise”

“Well” Rumble moved in close, “Inkspot and 8bit I think might be getting 'real' friendly if you know what I mean...they might be...best buddies wink wink”.

Button looked un-suprised.

“Dude, you do know there both gay right....please tell me this isn't news to you”

“there gay?”

“you don't need a telescope to see it Rumble, I'm sure we've all known since...well....forever”

“huh...I guess I never noticed”

“you ever wonder why Inkspot keeps popping boners whenever the Colts Basketball team plays”

“...”

“Ok now I think it's starting to make sense to me”

“You really can be clueless sometimes Rumble Pak”

“Atleast Im smart enough to not try and drive a veichle with my ass”

“ONE TIME!”

Smack

Button hit into something hard with a thud and almost fell onto the ground, Rumble just managing to catch his shoulders on the way down and steady him.

“Hey watch it numb nuts...eep” Button froze as he saw the large imposing figure that was the student vice principle and well known disciplinarian.

“uh hello Mr Whipinlash” Button chirped, feeling ever more tinier for ever millisecond he stood there.

“Mr Mash....I do hope you've not not been drinking this early in the morning, I wouldn't want you stumbling around my school violently bumping into fellow teachers....especially with a repugnant little attitude like that...instead of giving a basic apology” The old but scary faced Colt asserted, short strands of white hair sleeked back revealing a face covered in traces of scarred pudgy skin and healed over burn marks.

“Uh...uh...um” Button mash mumbled incoherently as the figure stared him down, thankfully Rumble spoke for him, having somewhat better relations with the vice principle than Button did.

“Sorry Saul... Uh I mean Mr Whipinlash...Look sorry about Button here, he's just having a rough day, Could you please within the graciousness of your heart let us pass, we promise we wont cause no trouble now I swear” he said with a boyish tone.

“Your not patronizing me Mr Pak are you?”

“Not all all Sir I promise” Quickly replied the blue pegasus.

The gruff disciplinarian gave a humorous grunt which showed a foreign smile on the edge of his mouth.

“How's your mother, last I hear Marry broke her wing”

“She's on the mend sir, she should be out of her cast in three weeks atleast by what the doctor said”

“good news, well I won't hold you two up, go on get going....no lollygagging”

Both the two boys thanked the stern faded yellow Colt and briskly walked towards the library making it almost through the thick glass door before they were stopped once more, Button almost jumping out of his skin as he heard the all to familiar voice of Scarlet Thread.

“Hey Babe, what's up, you weren't on the bus this mornin'” She asked, sipping a cafeteria bought juice box.

Rumble kept walking as he left Button to deal with the orange mare and her pale white best friend Ghost. Button trying not to freeze up as he went to reply.

“Sorry Scar, I slept in, thankfully I managed to score a lift in with Rumble”

“that's weird, Rumble takes the same bus as we do”

“well uh...he slept in too”

Scarlet immediately shot him a look.

Button thought fast.

“OK ok you got me, I used Rumble to get some drive-through breakfast at Mc'Macintosh”

“hah, you should have told me, anyway I've got an assessment task I've got to hand in for English, you wanna come with, I want to tell you about something really cool I found last night”

“Sorry babe...I uh, think today Ill spend some time with the guys...you know coz it's been... what like six weeks since I've bothered to really converse with my geeky lot...just for today though, keep up appearance with the people you know” Hesitantly proclaimed the brown colt, rubbing the back of his neck, the whole time Ghost eyeing him down with a cold stare.

“Oh...uh ok, well tell them I said hi then....I love you babe” Scarlet told him, leaning in and giving him a kiss on the cheek then wrapping her black scarf over her face as she and the Gothic white mare walked off towards the English block.

Button slowly rubbed his smitten cheek as he bit down on his lip, cursing himself for not saying anything, he felt like a coward, in shame he lonesomely wandered into the library immediately being greeted by the familiar smell of dusty books and dustier librarians.

It almost felt nostagic for him, returning to a place he once thought of as his nerdy bastion.

“Hey Button” Inkspot called out, waving.

“Hey guys” Waved back, a smirky smile half on his face as he walked towards them.

“Fuck you” Inkspot called out not changing tone or enthusiasm one bit, still waving him over.

Button smiled dropped abit.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

“So I told him “suck my dick faggot” and he shut right the hell up” Inkspot announced, making large gestures with his arms.

“So what did the kid say” Rumble asked, lying half on the floor and half propped up against a book display.

“Well...not much, he was only five you know...he kinda said something like 'I'm telling mom' and just logged off immediately”

“Honestly Spotty You'r ruining Runescape for Everyone” 8bit interjected.

“Well he shouldn't have been hogging up the fishing spot”

“What level?” Rumble interjected.

“Huh?”.

“What's you fishing level”.

“oh uh 78” Inkspot answered.

The whole group plus two second years in a nearby isle all gave a collective “Niiice”.

“Hey Button" Inkspot said turning his attention to the brown colt. "I've been meaning to tell you...you look....honestly...really bad, I'm basing this of the start of the year but jeez your face looks harsh, plus you look skinny as a twig now...what's up man?”.

“Eh just not eating right....and the face well, People tend to use it as a regular punching bag it seems”. Answered Button, shrugging his shoulders, feeling very self concious about how he looked.

“The eyes” Inkspot again asked

“What about my eyes” confusedly answered Button Mash, rising from his seat.
“Their different...like...they used to be orange right?” the colt pointed out.

“The hell are you talking about..whats wrong with my eyes!”

“Forget I even said”

“No no..what the hell is up with my eyes tell me?” demanded Button, blinking and squinting trying to find an issue.

“Well...they're...kinda....yellow”

Button took out his phone and looked at his face through the camera

'Remind you of someone do they' said a tiny voice from Buttons head.

“Dafuq!....” Button barked immediately being shushed by a nearby librarian.

“I think they call that Heterochromia iridum...eyes changing colour and shit” 8Bit added in, Button getting up from a chair and putting away his phone.

“I need some air, Ill be out the back if anyone needs me” he told them, angrily mumbling as he snuck out through the back entrance.

“Fucking eyes..hell's wrong with my eyes...assholes...tell me my face is shit...there shit, fucking bullshit is what it is....pfft....yellow eyes....pfft.....PFFT!".

'No .. its not real, this isn't happening' Button thought to himself as a strange though crept in upon him.

Opening the door Button lent up against the library wall and took out his phone once more, opening the camera app and looking at his “AH!” upstarted the brown Colt as he dropped his phone, leaping back and slamming into the wall.

He saw a reflection...too foreign and dead to be his, it was a face that smiled grimly.

Button took a few deep breathes and slid down slowly onto the concrete ground, staring out at the small forest in front of him, feeling completely along.

“hfffft...what are you going to do Button old boy” he said to himself, running his hoof through his wild orange mane.

“Hey” came a voice from nowhere, causing button to jump a bit as he turned and realized where it came from.

The plainly spoken voice came from mare lying against the wall next to Button, a cigarette propped in her mouth and a stack of books by her side, Her face Button knew...because it was his girlfriend's best friend, her hooves this time not tightened around 'Catcher in the rye' but an old withered version of Mane Austin's Pride and Prejudice.

“Oh uh Hey Ghost...what are you doing back here” Button replied, straightening himself up and trying to act casual.

“I come here when I've got a free class, Usually it's quiet enough for me to get some reading done and maybe smoke a fag...but I might ask you why your...uh having a 'moment' there” she told him, closing her novel and whipping her ash white hair around her ear.

“I'm just...uh...um....” Button stuttered “..uh...whatever crap I say your not going to buy are you”

“Nope” she said, boredly smacking her lips with her eyes at half mast.

“Ok...I'm stressing out is all” He told her, they knew each other fairly well since Scarlet and Button started hanging out, never having a real conversation beyond, “Hey”.

Stretching her arms Ghost stood up and wandered over next to Button, sitting down beside him and staring at the wild trees in front them both.

He without batting and eye in his direction took the smoke out her mouth and offered it to Button who hesitantly took it them sucked it hard till it was nothing but ash when he handed it back.

“Look Button...It doesn't take a detective to figure out why your acting as furtive as you are....be real with me, are you planning to do what I think your about to do...are you...gonna make the split”

Button eyes went wide then deflated as he felt defeated before he even fought, his face disappearing behind a wall of tobacco smoke.

“I honestly don't know Ghost...I've got to tell her...something dreadful... and you know honestly in all likelihood it's probably going to end with a break up... and I don't know how to even go around approaching with her that why I've been avoiding Scarlet today...because....I don't know how to tell her I really don't know....I really don't want to do this”

Ghost's face looked the same pale plain unflinching default look, except for her blue eyes that seemed to show something like real contemplation.

“Did you...Cheat”She asked, her lips piercing,

Button paused but then gave a weak nod, the white mare in a rare show of emotion formed a balled up fist and looked ready to punch Button square in the face, the colt would have preferred it if she did, he needed to feel confirmation that someone knew.

“Gods..fucking damn it Button...look don't tell me her name but I think I have a pretty good guess who it is”

Ghost tried to fall back into her un-interested façade but couldn't, unlike Button she couldn't keep on her mask.

“Fuck man...this is going to kill Scarlet you know that!, errr She's such a sweet kind and loving mare this is going to fucking destroy her Button...errr fucking...ERRR”

The brown colt bit back.

“You think I don't know that, hurting her is the last thing I want to do but what else can I do...not tell her, Ghost we both Care for Scar but I've got to tell her what I did!”

the pale mare went quiet, a stern piercing frown on her face as she thought it through.

“How bad was it?” she asked, hoping not to her him say what his inevitable answer would be.

“Ghost....I slept with this person”

The girl put her hoof between her eyes and tightened her eyes in frustration.

“Fucking Moron...Thinking with your dick...fuckin' predictable, just like any fuckboy or slutface....Shit man, why di”
“I FUCKING KNOW OK!” Roared the colt, lashing out. “Looking back on it it was a mistake, I drank and drank and for a second I felt this person was...something different”.

“Did you think about Scarlet at any time”

“No...and I know I should have...I know I should have, shit man...Im just like him”

“Like who” Ghost asked, raising an eyebrow.

“My father”

she replied with more solemn honesty than frustrated anger, “Oh...um did he”

“Yep he did, on my mother...with some young thing who he worked with, and the funny part is...I did the exact thing he did...I guess adultery must be hereditary then” Button acknowledged, done arguing, putting his arms between his legs he closed his eyes and let out an exhale.

Ghost wanted to say more but felt it wouldn't do much else but restate what's been already said, instead she did the same as Button, sitting back and just simply breathing, looking into those wild trees beyond.

“Look, I don't really know how to help but... if you do split....and need something to help numb your brain...call me, I don't know if you still partake but I've got my last few vials of zebra juice and I've needed a reason to finish them off”

Ghost tore a page from her novel and write down her mobile number, handing it to the colt who placed it in his mane.

“I'll give Scarlet a call later tonight...after you tell her, and you will tell her Tonight, if you don't I'll send Bones to break your legs....just....please be gentle about it” the white mare told him with a genuine and heartfelt tone, flicking her zippo lighter incessantly.

putting her books in her saddlebag she strangely gave Button a hug and stood up, looking around then walking away. Button sitting confused by her brief show of affection.

“Thank you Ghost” He called out to her.

“Your a Fucking prick Button” she replied.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
DING

Button stepped into the closest Ponyville general store he could find, he stood there and stared up from the door at the Grey gargantuan rain-clouds sailing over head, eclipsing the sky in an white murky mush. Button could feel sickness deep down in his stomach as he was now one long walk away from Scarlet's house, a place he would usually go to with a smile on his face was now a destination which gave him shivers.

Button picked out a bouquet of red roses from the flower-stand and handled them to the cashier, transparent watery droplets still hugging the fantastic blood red flowery skin.

“$9.99 Sir” the cashier told him, button going over the the ATM and taking out fifty bits.

“Thank you” the brown colt replied, handing over the money and taking the bouquet, stepping outside and taking a deep gulp.

CRACK went the thunderous clouds, spooking the boy.

“Ok...OK, no more post-poning...c'mon Button.....do it you wimp...fucking man up” shaking his head Button took a deep breathe and begins walking, almost going light-headed as he forced one leg in front of the other, trot trot trot.

The closer Button got to his final destination the more he began to think of what was going to happen. He knew that it wouldn't end well....he knew what was going to happen, he didn't want to do this but he KNEW there was no other way.

'Why am I doing this.....is this because I want Sweetie belle.....gods it's got to be.....why, why can't I leave her be....c'mon Button is this how you want things to go. Scarlet...please help me with this...I don't know what to think, what to feel...I don't want to be alone....I don't want to useless again, help me...anyone....please help me'

A voice slithered into Button's mind from deep down below, the pessimistic voice from last night became to rear it ugly self once again.

'You don't need them Button, stop asking for help, you don't need it'

'Shut up...I know what you really are....I know what your trying to do'

'I am not anything, there is only you...there's always been only 'you' Button, everything you've done, every little minuscule thing has been dealt by your hooves and yours alone'

A large headache came over Button that cause him to stumble almost to the point of falling down.

'GET OUT OF MY HEAD YOU LEECH!' Howled Button Mash, hold his head, feeling the painful surges of pain, a faint cracking sound began could be heard, slowly get louder and louder from the distance.

'Crack Crack Crack...do you remember....of course you do....Crack Crack Crack...how could you ever forget....it was all you Button...hah...you know you killed him'

'SHUT UP!' wailed the colt, gripping both his ears as the sound started to sting his eardrums.

'Crack Crack Crack, you crushed his skull, you flattened his brains...do you remember how they squirted out between the shards of skull of skin...crack crack crack...his frightened eyes as he had to feel each strike by that crusty red brick, his head being destroyed by your hoof...can yo feel it Button..the pain....the cracking in your skull.

Button couldn't say anything, his head was aching like as if it was being tightened in a vice.

'You didn't have to do it you know, he was already paralysed, he couldn't have attacked you even if he wanted too'

“HE WAS SCREAMING!' replied the colt in reply, his head throbbing and ears burning.

'Who wouldn't!, he was pinned to that cold cement by rusty rods that stuck out from his body, his insides spilling out in pools of organs and blood, painting the ground black. But no....you had to finish the job, you had to watch him die...watch him suffer'

Crack Crack Crack

'Ahhhh stop' Button's head pains were now excruciating, as if a balloon inside his skull was getting bigger and bigger, trying to force its way out.

'Remember Button...I'm as much a part of you as you are of me, you can wallow around in your woeful female issues and petty feelings of loneliness...but my time draws near, I'm real Button...I'm living inside you...deep deep down....inside, and soon...I will be you Button, and the funniest part is...you can't stop me, well maybe you could stop me if you wanted too..but the only way to do that will be a bullet to the brain.

“GET OUT OF MY HEAD!”

'You want to kill me don't you...want me gone...but I don't think you truly understand who I am...no matter...We'll meet face to face soon, very soon, give Scarlet my regards'

'AHHHH'

Button screamed out as loud as he could, the repetitious cracking was now deafening as it beat like drums in his head.

CRAAAAAACK

Button opened his eyes, seeing a swirling fog of Grey blankness, tiny stars falling down and drowning his vision. They were clouds....it was rain-drops, Button looked around and realized he was standing directly in front of Scarlet's door, his whole body now completely soaked, a true realization that he must have been standing there at her steps for probably more than ten minutes, rambling silently inside his head.

“No...no” he uttered to himself, his vision going black like the night as he drifted off like the tide, the house was still there, the steps were still there as they always had been but Button, he wasn't there...he felt like a voyeur, a unseen pair of eyes. He could see in font of him two young ponies, maybe teens, a short orange mare with a enticing blue dress and even more enticing blue eyes, she was talking to a colt around the same age, chestnut brown with a milky orange mane, wearing a jet black leather waistcoat. They both looked young and wide-eyed.

Button couldn't put names to there faces, he didn't recognize them. Soon he began to hear them talking, the mares face looked so beautiful, so sweet.

The brown colt spoke softly

“Really Scarlet…thanks for tonight,, I …I don’t really have many friends who can really stand m…”

Suddenly the mare jumped down the steps and kissed the boy, it gave Button a warm feeling inside, like a good shot of vodka.

He began to fade off again, the two ponies stepping inside the brick-work home. He could hear laughing and chatting and quiet moaning from inside that house.

It sounded warm...it sounded inviting, a happy moment amongst so many many bad ones.

The Grey sky came back to him, the cold rain and the throbbing head. The warm feeling inside was gone...replaced with a sickness that didn't seem to go away.

Stepping up those sidewalk monoliths called steps he knocked three times on her door. Hearing approaching steps from inside.

This was it.

EEEEKKK the door opened and Button was greeted by the face of LemonLime, Scarlet's Stepfather.

“Oh hey Button, jeez you looked drenched mate, here come on in Ill call Scar for ya”

Ushering the Brown colt in he shut the door and called out down the hall.

“Scarlet, Button's here!”

a jubilant Squee could be heard.

Button saw that beautiful petite creature trotting towards him from the hallway, her hair tied back and a pair of small black rimmed reading glasses on her face, three bandages on her front left hoof.

“Hey babe how ya been” she asked, leaning up and pecking him on the cheek.

“Eh...soaked but still kicking” Button told her, a half smile on his face, as he felt the warm comfort of her embrace.

“I uh..got these for you” he followed up, handing her the drenched bouquet of red roses, the waxen coat still shining and making the flowers looking as pristine as ever.

“Button, there gorgeous thank you” the mare replied, admiring them fondly then placing them in the kitchen sink.
“C'mon I've something I want to show you” Scarlet asked Button, warmly taking his hand and leading him towards her bedroom.

“Hey hey, leave the door open you two” Lemon called out, Scarlet's mother quickly replying from the family couch.

“Oh leave them be honey, Button, do you want a cup of tea?” Mrs Thread asked, Button politely accepting as he was pulled playfully into the young mare's room.

Button took a seat on her bed, it brought back to him happy memories, not just of sex but of warm snuggling, late-night conversations and cuddling as they watched anime on her laptop, he felt the ever too common lead weight sitting in his gut.

“Hey Babe..Scarlet can I tell you something” Button asked a crack occurring in his voice.

“Go for it” she replied, rummaging through her desk-drawer, not noticing the grave-digger look on Button's long face, as he was now forcing his tongue to make words.

“Remember when I went to Applebloo” He was cut off But Scarlet jumped up with something in her grip, her face was gleaming.

“Check this shit out” she told him, chucking the item and him and nodding her head as Button realized what it was.

“Is this....oh my gods where did you get this!” Button gasped excitedly, forgetting his woe.

“Attic, It was mom's when she was younger” Scarlet coolly replied with a smile.

Button fondled the light Grey console, molesting every curve and angle, his eyes lusting over the game console, there was no question … it was a super Nintendo.

“It gets better, Feast your pupils on this little masterpiece” Scarlet purred, Holding up the holiest of relics that was the cartridge of Super Metroid.

Button was in awe at the Sight of the mare's find.

“It's already dark out plus its raining, If you want we can climb under the warm covers, dry off and play this little gem all through the night”.

“Goddess I love you” escaped words from Button's half dropped mouth.

“Damn straight son” she playfully replied.

“Here you you too, careful there very hot” Scarlet's mother said, walking in and putting two mugs of black tea on the dresser.

“Thanks Mom, oh and thanks for letting me borrow your Snes”.

The older mare gave her thank you and left, Button could hear her out in the lounge room chatting with Lemon as they watched TV.

As Scarlet went over too set it up Button began to slid into her heated bed, ready for a sweet night of Metroid-vania platforming....then he remembered.

He couldn't hold it off.

It had to happen now.

Sigh “Scarlet...I need to tell you something...I need too”

As Scarlet looked over to him she saw the grim expression on his face.

“Uh...sure something on your mind” She hesitantly replied, her smile now gone and turned into confusion and a tinge of dread as she looked at the abominable sadness in his eyes.

Button forced the words to come out, his body feeling like glass slowly cracking.

“Scarlet...I trust you, your one of very few people I actually do trust...but do you trust me?” he asked.

“Button...what is this about?”

“Do you trust me?” Button repeated.

“Y...yes” Scarlet replied hesitantly, her eyes widening in confusion.

“You should'nt” the colt coldly told her.

Her eyes widened as it came to her like a tidal wave of razor blades that tore at her heart.

“Two months ago...when I went to the party at Applebloom's house, I lied to you...I told you 'she' wasn't going to be there...I lied right to your face. Sweetie Belle was there...We fought and bickered with each other, I insulted her and she punched me in the face...even today I wish that punch knocked me out...or at least knocked some sense into me”

“Button please don't tell me what I think you are”.

“I need to Scarlet...I need too. As the night carried on we began to laugh and joke and drink like fools till...things got intense”.

Scarlet started to sob, clutching at her mouth trying to stop the whimpering as it flooded out of her.

Button felt a piece of his soul die watching her having to realize what was happening.

“I betrayed you...I...I” Button was chocking up as well. “I slept with Sweetie Belle”.

Button felt his body violently convulse in one single movement as saying the words to Scarlet made them all too real.

She was crying badly now, trying to wiped away her tears as they streamed down her oasis blue eyes. To Button it was like Like watching a porcelain teacup smash.

Button lip quivered badly, forcing him to bite down hard and pop any healing that was taking place from the night before.

To the colt watching her breakdown like this was torturous to him, he loved her, no matter how it could be spun he genuinely felt love for mare, and too watch her fight her own tears was horrific.

Her crying soon turned to sobbing...and that too soon turned to whimpers, her dark red hair hung over her broken blue eyes like blinding shutters.

Her voice came through in a cracked and croaky single sentence.

“How could you”

Like some celestial force slamming into his very being Button felt his grass frame explode into one trillion tiny shards that's riped through and shredded his stomach, organs and anything left inside that could be cut, bleeding out from his skin and exploding into glassy powder on Scarlet's bedroom floorboards.

Button felt his body float away while his conscious remained stranded there amongst the pain and heartbreak.

“I...I”

“You came here...to my house...to my bedroom....to tell me you slept with your ex girlfriend, what kind of..m..monster are you, I trusted you ...and you I...I never should have believed that I could have done anything to stop you from going back to her...when you tell me you love me...I believed you”.

“I do love you...Scarlet you're the best thing that happened to me in years, I'm telling you because I don't know what else to do...Scarlet please I need your help” pleaded Button Mash, bleach tears drowning his vision and flooding down his cheeks.

“Oh gods..how could I have ever tried to trust you, I blocked out all those signs because I thought I saw the real you...but there is no 'real' you...your nothing but smoke and mirrors...you burnt everything you touch”.

“Please Scarlet...This is me I swear, I don't want to hurt anyone...I just want to feel alive, I need to feel alive Scarlet...help me...I need you”

“Get out of here Button I can't talk to you!”.

“Please Scar..I need you, I need someone to help me feel like I'm real , I need to know I can be a good person...I don't want to feel like I monster...I need to feel good”

“GET OUT BUTTON, JUST GET OUT!”.

“Scarlet! Please”.

“She grabbed him by the arm and tried to pull Button away, the colt tried to grab both her arms and sit her still But the mare Screamed and he immediately let go, She picked up the Super Nintendo and threw it at Button, missing him and smashing against the wall into useless plastic pieces.

“GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY HOUSE YOU HEARTLESS FUCK!”.

Button tried to grab her arm, and she with her other arm grabbed the mug of tea of her dresser and swung it directly into Button's face, smashing against his forehead and scalding his face in hot black boiled water.

“ARHHEHH!” Button screamed gripping at his face as the pain was unbearable.

“What's happening in here!” LemonLime yelled from the doorway, bursting into the mare's room.

“GET OUT BUTTON GET OUT!” Scarlet sobbed, crawling into her arms at the corner of her room, her stepfather immediately grabbing Button round his neck and forcing him down the hallway kicking and screaming, his face still burning in pain and bleeding from the broken ceramic.

As LemonLime threw Button from the steps the brown colt could still hear her crying even though she was too far of from him now.

Button mash hit the footpath with a thwack and rolled of into the gutter, rushing water swarming over his face as the thunder was deafening.

“If you ever touch my daughter again I'll kill you I swear, now Get out of her and leave her alone!”.

the door shut with a slam.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Button sat lying in that gutter, rainwater and leaf-litter caking his body as he started out at the black tar road, watching the faint bright glint reflected from the lights of the houses. Button had been unconscious too many times for him to count now but this was for the second time he felt truly lost.

Breaking out in a fit of violent shivers Button eventually sat up and gripped his forehead, the blood and tears now invisible in the midnight rain.

The colt began hobbling home in the torrential storm and the frozen wind. His mind no longer thinking...just simply staring down at each weak step that he took, the walk felt eternal each step was like walking in thick lake mud that sucked him deeper and deeper down. In an almost religious moment Button made it to a public phone booth and collapsed inside it's box shape, he looked forward from where he now was and saw how far he walked. Ten houses.....only ten houses from hers. He could still see the lights of her place.

In another violent convulsion Button lunged into the gutter and Vomited into the rapid waters, weakly propping himself against the floor of the phone-booth. Searching his mane Button found his wallet and took out some bits for the phone, He was going to Call his Mother and go home....sleep for a thousand years maybe. Let life swallow him up.

As Button put his wallet back a small scrunched up bit of paper dropped out from his drench mane .
Picking it Up Button read to himself the mobile digit then went quiet.

'Do it' He thought to himself, 'Why not'.

BRRRRRRRR
BRRRRRRRR
BRRRRRRRR
BRRRRRRRR
BRRRRRRRR
BRRR”Hello?”

“Ghost it's Button”.

“Hey Mash...oh...how did it go?” hesitantly asked the mare, hearing the coldness in his voice.

“I think I'll take you up on that offer...I really need something to help me forget...all this shit”.

There was a brief silence.

“Ah ok yeah sure, meet me at Canterlot Burger kingdom in an hour, can you make it”.

Button felt the metal clang of the bits in his grip, “yeah I can make it...thank you Ghost”.

“Hey...Im sorry man, Did it go the way you wanted it too?”.

“It went exactly how I knew it would go” he coldly replied.

“Again...sorry man, see you in a bit, When we meet Ill take you to our Den and well get some 'feel good' into you...help you forget ok”
“Ok...bye Ghost”.

“Bye Button”.


Button put the phone back and began walking to the nearest bus-stop, he stood under the fluorescent light and waited, his entire body feeling sour and grossly fomented.

'See....just you now, don't feel sad now...let go....let it all go'

“Ha...sure....just let go...why the fuck not” joked Button to himself, the words making him want to laugh, he didn't know why but everything just started to seem so funny, so insignificant to him.

“He...Hehe...” Button Mash began to chuckle, then laugh till he was violently crowing with laughter, he looked out forward into the night...but like the ocean, like the sky and like his life...he saw blackness, it crept into his vision and nestled like black ravens. He could see nothing beyond but Blackness.

“Hha Ha He HAH HAAA HE HAAAAH AHHA HA” He cackled, burning tears streaming down his face as his laughter bordered on manic screaming, in the distance he could here the Bus coming closer and closer to take him away from here.

'HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHHAHAH AHAA'

Button Mash gave up.

Author's Note:

Well it seems Barlet Thrash ship is no more, you know it's funny technically to those reading this story Scarlet and Button have been together in real-time since part 3 little less than a year ago, that's longer than most high-school relationship last.

Looks like were coming to the end of this 2 year tale, only a few chapters left to go before we must say farewell to this fic that has been so important a part of my life, I l give my thanks to you all and hope you are prepared for the hell that about to come.