• Published 4th Jan 2014
  • 3,909 Views, 261 Comments

Essence of a Sunrise: That which is Left Behind - maxxxxxx



In the wake of her harrowing search for her true self, Rainbow Dash wakes up to a hospital bed, surrounded by unfamiliar ponies. Or, is it even Rainbow Dash any more??

  • ...
15
 261
 3,909

Visitors

She had found rest a hard thing to achieve with the amount of discomfort she was in, one slight movement would pull on her stitches and she would be awoken by the pain. Though she managed to get a somewhat reasonable amount of sleep she was still up with the sunrise, and still tired. She spent much of her time simply enjoying the relative silence of the hospital. She closed her eyes, and focused on her breaths. She felt a peaceful calm sweep over her and she felt the steady rise and fall of her chest, she could hear distant beeps and buzzes from the medical equipment, but for her, it only served as soothing white noise. She tentatively put her hoof over her chest, counting the beats. Despite her surgery and the trauma to her heart the doctor had told her about, each beat seem steady, steady but soft. A gentle smile spread over her face as she felt at peace and silently thanked her heart for continuing to beat. Her ears suddenly twitched and swiveled to the door. She heard two sets of hoof beats. She opened her eyes just in time to see the door opening.

“Miss, you have a visitor.” A small nurse with a white coat and pink mane said with her characteristically good bedside manner.

“A visitor? This early?” She was about to ask as to whom would be visiting a hospital this early, especially since visiting hours hadn't begun yet. But, before she could her question was answered with a purple alicorn walked in to her room, levitating a small picnic basket behind her. It was the one from yesterday. She turned to the nurse with a grateful smile.

“Thank you for letting me see her on such short notice.” The nurse began to form a response when the mare laying in bed interjected.

“What are you doing here?” She asked, but not with anger, only surprise. She raised her bed up with the remote so she could speak eye to eye. There was clearly a note of pain in the alicorn's eyes, but she buried it underneath a gentle smile.

“I think I'll leave you both alone. I know I don't have to remind you but don't get her heart rate up.” She nodded as the nurse left the room, closing the door behind her. She padded over the bed, setting her basket down at it's foot before standing beside her. Her eyes were baggy and she looked tired and worn out. Still wearing the same caring smile she opened her mouth to speak only to be cut off.

“Look, um...” She stopped, searching her mind she couldn't recall her visitor's name. She had said it yesterday but with everything that was going on, it seemed to get lost. Her visitor could sense this, her look became downcast as she lowered her head.

“I- it's Twilight. Twilight Sparkle.” Her voice was think with melancholy and disappointment. She lowered her head even further, her bangs obscuring her eye's. She seemed on the verge of tears. The mare in the bed frowned, feeling bad for putting her in such a state.

“Look Twilight Sparkle, I don't think you really understood what I meant yesterday, or you just can't accept it. I don't know, but you don't know me and I don't know you, I'm sorry. Those ponies from yesterday, they were your friends friends right?” She was giving all the sympathy she could, trying to ease the blow as best she could for Twilight, but she was shaking now and she could hear very soft sobs coming from her. Twilight nodded, purposefully not lifting her head. She was trying hard to keep her composure but she was losing it. Oh Rainbow Dash... Please stop this. Please just stop, tell us it was all a clever prank. We just want you back.

“Twilight Sparkle, your friends seemed like they were in a lot of pain.” She couldn't take it anymore, she lifted her head, her eyes glistening with tears about to fall. Twilight looked wistful towards her, not at her, but at something far in the distance or perhaps even closer that she was to her. Either way, it wasn't the mare who lay in the hospital whom she was looking at.

“They are. We all are. We- we lost somepony very special to all of us and we just.. we just want her back.” She tried, she tried so hard but she couldn't contain her feeling any longer as tears flowed uncontrollably down her face. She tried to wipe them away but they just kept coming.

“We want her back so badly. She.. she was always there for us and now, we cant be there for her. Please come back to us Rainbow Dash.. Please. We need you.” She broke down, resting her head on her pillow she cried. She wanted so badly to reach out and hug her friend, but she knew she knew that her friend wasn't with her, even though she was looking at her face, even though her mane brushed against the same soft blue fur, it wasn't Rainbow Dash. But then, she felt something. A hoof, reached out and gently rubbed her shoulder. Twilight looked up, the warm drops still running down her muzzle, to see the face of her friend looking at her with eyes full of sympathy.

“I'm sorry Twilight Sparkle, but I've never met Rainbow Dash. I don't know who she is but I know I'm not her. I know this is hard on you, but it's even harder on me. Please, I don't need the guilt of hurting ponies for no reason other than being myself. Twilight, I know your friends are hurting, and I know you are to, more than any of them. I saw the way they looked at you. They need you right now Twilight Sparkle, and you need them. You should be with each other, supporting each other. Not here in the hospital so early in the morning with a pony you don't know who doesn't even want you here.” Twilight's eye's became wide. She stared, mouth slightly agape with tears still flowing, at the mare who lay in the bed. Her hoof still on her shoulder, even though she was trying to comfort her, Twilight could feel her heart breaking. Dash... please, don't say that. Don't say things like that. I know you're in there, somewhere. I hope, they can bring you back. Until then, stay strong Twilight. For Dash's sake.

“Well, my friends.. none of them are up right now. Listen, I- I know the food here isn't terrible but I thought you might like something hoof made. So, I brought you breakfast.” Twilight smiled hopefully, but she knew that Twilight was only using her smile to cover the pain. She looked down to the foot of her bed where she had placed the basket. She sighed inwardly. She can't let it go. She's right though, something other that the food they serve here would be nice, and I think, if I eat it I may help her get over her pain, just a little. Actually, it will make me feel better. Less guilty at least. She smiled back at Twilight.

“I think I'll take you up on your offer. Thank you Twilight Sparkle. Oh, but the doctor gave me a special diet. I can't have anything that will raise my blood pressure or..”

“I know, I did a lot of research before I made this. It's perfectly suitable for a recovering heart.” She smiled triumphantly.

“Well that enplanes why you look so tired, and you seem used to it. You should take better care of yourself Twilight Sparkle, your friends already suffered one loss. It's not good for you to give them somepony else to worry about.” Twilight smile quickly faded to a look of guilt. I- I hadn't even thought of it that way. Are they worried about me? Oh what if I'm only making this harder on my friends? She could see Twilight's thoughts spiraling.

“Listen, I'm sorry. I didn't mean it, besides I'm pretty sure I'm the first pony you've seen this morning so they don't know yet, but if you keep doing that to yourself they'll notice eventually. I'm just saying you shouldn't over do it, if not for your own sake then for your friends.” Twilight shook away the thoughts before giving a stressed sigh.

“No, you're right. I should take better care of myself.” She brightened her expression. She knew Twilight forced it, but she didn't need to point it out.

“Well, I think we've had enough unhappy conversations. We should eat, then you should go home and get some sleep. After you're rested, go be with you're friends.” Twilight's horn lit up in a purple glow that enveloped the basket, pulling out two plates wrapped with plastic.

“This one's yours. Egg whites and pancakes with strawberries.” She took the plate and had to admit it did look pretty good.

“Also, you are going to have a couple visitors. They should be here any minute.” She took a bite of the pancakes before responding.

“No, I don't. They aren't here to visit me, they're here for her. I don't want them to..” She was brought to an abrupt stop as the room door opened. They both turned their heads towards it simultaneously. There stood a regal looking alicorn with a flowing, ethereal rainbow mane. She had two guards at her sides.

“Princess Celestia! I'm so glad you could make it!” Twilight said excitedly, running up to the new arrival. Meanwhile, she eyes them, especially the guards, with worry. Now It's beginning to become too crowded for me. Did she say princess?

“You both may stand outside the door, I believe you are making our friend nervous.” She turned to the guards who nodded and went to stand outside. The princess then made her way to her bedside. She smiled calmly. For her, this princess was the first one to look at her, not as this “Rainbow Dash”, but actually at her. She felt an instant connection and respect for her. 'Who is this? She thought to herself, almost as though the princess read her thoughts, she introduced herself.

“My name is Princess Celestia, It's a pleasure to meet you.”

“You're a Princess? Why are you here? You understand don't you? I'm not..” Twilight watched with disappointment in her eyes. She doesn't even remember the Princess. She thought to herself sadly.

“I am here because one of my subjects was hurt, and also because Princess Twilight is worried about you.” She was quick and intuitive, she suspected that she must be a very well liked ruler. But they both knew that the princess had just lied to her, and she wasn't going to let that pass.

“No, she isn't and you know it. She knows it to. She isn't worried about me, she doesn't even see me. All she sees is a friend that is gone. I'm sorry Princess, It was nice meeting you and I do hope to meet again.” She expected the princess to be offended or at the very least surprised, but she retained her demeanor and simply glanced at Twilight who was staring down at the floor with a regretful expression. She felt exposed, like she could be seen right through.

“I don't think you are giving her enough credit. But I understand your hesitance, I'm sure it must be very frightening, the situation you are in. I know, it's not something I would want to face alone.” She grinned at the princess, she felt as though, for a moment, they had a connection. It was the first time she felt such a thing. The princess, unlike any other pony she had spoken to, saw her for herself.

“I shall leave you for now, try to get some rest.” She turned towards the door leaving Twilight looking confused and disappointed. She opened the door, revealing the two guards and a new pony, a pegasus. She bowed to the princess before she entered the room. She was a yellow pegasus with a flame like orange mane and tail, she was wearing sunglasses even though she was indoors. Is that supposed to seem cool or something? She mused as the pegasus approached her.

“Do you remember who I am?” Her voice was stern and authoritative. She had a different air to her than the princess but she still seemed like someone who was well respected. Though, much to her discomfort but not surprise, she didn't look at her like the princess did. She gave her the same look that Twilight Sparkle had, like she was looking beyond her.

“No, I don't. We've never met.” She said simply. It was an obvious fact to her, but a difficult thing for others to come to grips with. She knew nopony and nopony knew her.

“My name's Spitfire, I'm captain of the Wonderbolts. Do you know who they are?” Twilight looked on in silent hope. Please Rainbow Dash, you have to remember them. It's your dream, It's been a part of you for longer than I've known you. Please Rainbow, say you remember. Please..

“No, I've never heard of them. What are they?” Twilight's eyes became clouded with tears. Her heart sank, she felt the urge to burst out crying. She wanted to take her friend and shake her, to yell and cry, begging for her to come back. She knew she couldn't, but she desperately wanted to, she felt helpless and it was the only thing she could think to do.

“We are an elite group of the best fliers in Equestria. We are both Equestria's air defense and, more often than not in times of peace, an aerial acrobatic stunt team that performs dangerous and incredibly technical maneuvers at extremely high speeds!” She spoke like a drill sergeant. It almost made her giggle at one point but she knew better, she could tell that she was completely serious.

“That sounds pretty dangerous, and difficult. I'm glad that you perform more than you fight though. It means things are peaceful. I still don't understand what you're doing here though? I can't fly and I'm not really interested in performing and even less with fighting.” Again Twilight couldn't control the flow of tears, she fought herself, she didn't want to make so much as a whimper. 'Oh Rainbow Dash.. No, you can't be gone. You can't be. Please Rainbow, you can't have lost your passion, it's your dream. You can't lose it. It- its who you are. I can't lose you.

“I wanted to give you these.” Spitfire pulled out two tickets from her breast pocket and placed them on her bed. She looked at them, the were for a Wonderbolts show playing in a place called Canterlot.

“Thank you, I guess.” She didn't know what else to say. She had no idea where Canterlot was or how to get there. She didn't even know what she would do after she got out of the hospital. Spitfire simply nodded and left the room, having nothing else to say. She returned her attention to Twilight, she was wiping her eyes with her foreleg, trying to hide her tears. She knew why those two, the princess and Spitfire had come now, It was Twilight's attempt to bring her lost friend back. She became downcast. She looked into Twilight's eyes.

“I think you should go.” Panic flashed across her face.

“Dash please..”

“I don't want to be called that. That name... it leaves a bad taste for some reason. Please just go.”

“I- I was thinking.” She wasn't listening. She was smiling but her teary eyes showed her heart break. “I think, You should come stay with me. I was talking to the doctor, he said I could take you home tomorrow night and..”

“Take me home? I'm not a dog Twilight Sparkle. What reason would I have for staying with you? So I could be ignored? So you can cling to a friend that's already gone? No, I wont come with you. Now leave.” Her lips quivered and she chocked out a soft sob.

“But Rain..”

“Get out!” She yelled, Twilight backed away, glancing nervously at the heart monitor. She was pushing dangerously high on her pulse and blood pressure. Oh Rainbow Dash. She closed her eyes in defeat and walked out of the room.
*************************************************************************************************************

Rainbow Dash, I thought.. I thought I could reach you.. Oh Rainbow. Twilight walked sullenly into the hallway.

“Twilight Sparkle.” Twilight looked up to see Princess Celestia waiting in the hallway, her guards were no where in sight.

“Princess? What are you doing here, I thought you left?” She felt uneasy, the princess reassuring smile was gone.

“I'm disappointed.” Twilight looked down, prodding the floor with her hoof.

“I know, I thought for sure she would remember something. I can't believe...” The princess interjected.

“No Twilight Sparkle. It is you who I am disappointed in.”

“Princess.. W-why? I'm trying my best and...”

“How could you leave her all alone like that?” Twilight withdrew, lowering her head. She had disappointed the princess, that was something she never wanted to do.

“She doesn't remember me. She doesn't know who I am and she doesn't want my help. I don't know what else to do.”

“Twilight Sparkle, I don't know if Rainbow Dash is still in there or not, nor do I know if she will ever come back. I do know that right now, that is not her. The pony in that bed is scared and in pain. She's all alone with no friends. Nopony is acknowledging that she even exists. She needs a friend, not a friend of Rainbow Dash, but a friend to her. Now, go back in there and be her friend.” The princess's words hit Twilight hard, she had never felt so heartless before. She never even tried to empathize with her. An incredible guilt nearly brought her to her knees. She cried, but behind the tears her eyes burned with determination she spun around and opened the door. Princess Celestia smiled proudly as she disappeared into the room.
*********************************************************************************************************

She looked up, hearing the door open. It was Twilight again. She had tears in her eyes but, they glistened with a determination she hadn't seen in her before. Something must have happened to her in the short time she was in the hall. She quickly marched up to her bed.

“I need to talk to you. Will you hear me out?” She was calm and focused and... she wasn't looking at her the way she was before but she also wasn't looking at her as her own pony. The look Twilight was giving her, she was looking at her as though she were a challenge. She almost wanted to smile because of it.

“Okay, but before we talk I need you to understand, I am not Rainbow Dash. You know that right? I am my own pony.” Twilight nodded.

“You should stay with me. Where else are you going to go? You have no home. If you try to sleep outside you'll die from infection. I can take care of you, I know first aid and healing magic. Please say you will, I promise I won't treat you like you're not real anymore.” Twilight was determined and sincere. And, despite what she said, the princess was right, this isn't something she wants to go through alone. Her face softened, and she gave a small smile.

“Okay, I will accept your offer. Again, that you Twilight.” She smiled back at her, Twilight had a look in her eyes like she had just won some sort of contest, but there was also a genuine caring in them.

“That's great! I'll pick you up tomorrow night. But I do have one Question.”

“What is it?”

“You don't like... that name. So what do we call you?” She looked confused for a moment, but them broke into a light grin.

“It doesn't seem right for some reason to pick my own name. You can give me a name if you don't mind.” Twilight's mouth went agape in surprise.

“Y-you want me to name you!?”

“Yeah, if that's okay with you?” She was nonchalant about it.

“Well.. I guess it's okay if you don't mind. I'll, uh.. I'll have a name ready when I come to pick you up tomorrow.” She stuttered nervously.

“That sounds good, I'm sure you'll come up with an excellent name. Just don't lose any sleep over it please. Remember what I said about worrying your friends.” Twilight laughed softly, she actually intended to do just that.

“I won't, you get some sleep to. You look pretty tired yourself” She turned towards the door.

“Oh, and Twilight.” She called out. Twilight turned to her.

“Thanks for the food, it was really good.” Twilight's smile brightened.

“Your welcome, I'm glad you liked it.” Her horn light up it a magical aura and the door slid open.

“Good night.” She said as the door closed. She closed her eyes and lowered the head of her bed. Listening to her soft breaths, she slowly drifted off.