• Published 4th Jan 2014
  • 3,909 Views, 261 Comments

Essence of a Sunrise: That which is Left Behind - maxxxxxx



In the wake of her harrowing search for her true self, Rainbow Dash wakes up to a hospital bed, surrounded by unfamiliar ponies. Or, is it even Rainbow Dash any more??

  • ...
15
 261
 3,909

Filling the void

After the magnificent display of lights in the sky, Sunrise and Scootaloo parted ways. She was filled with renewed happiness and optimism. She wasn't alone anymore. She had Twilight and Spike, Pinkie Pie and now even Scootaloo. She knew things would be strained by the events of last night, but she also knew that she could make things better. Twilight was likely still angry, she was right to be. Twilight, I’m coming home. I fixed things with Scootaloo, we’re friends now. She was hurting a lot and, somehow, she understood how I was hurting. She understood the position that I’m in. I thought I might be able to help her move forward, and I did, but I was surprised by how much, she helped me. I have a new and great friend in her and I couldn't be happier. Well, almost couldn't be happier. She stopped at the library door, surprised to find that she felt nervous as her hoof hovered just above the handle. What will I say? Why am I so nervous? She’ll understand, all I have to do is apologize and tell her that i fixed things with Scootaloo… Right? Will that be enough? That look she gave me, It broke my heart to see her like that. I don’t think simple words will be enough… but it’s a start. She steeled herself as she slowly opened the door. It was dim in the library, the only light coming from the early morning sun. Nopony was awake. Twilight would usually be awake by now. She rolled into the library, quietly shutting the door behind her. Scanning the room she found a small figure curled up in a pile of books.

“Spike.” She whispered, getting no response from the baby dragon.

“Spike.” She whispered again, prodding him with her hoof.

“Ahh!” He shot up, scattering the books around him. He frantically looked around the room, still dazed from sleep, before settling his gaze on Sunrise.

“Oh, It’s you.” He said with a hint of venom. Sunrise was hardly surprised. She simply gave a light smile.

“Yeah, It’s just me... How’s Twilight doing?” Spike narrowed his eyes folded his arms.

“How do you think she’s doing?” He said accusingly. Sunrise glanced up the stairs towards Twilight’s room. The light was still off.

“Not well if you’re sleeping out here.”

“If you knew then why did you bother asking?”

“Don’t worry Spike, I’m going to fix this.” She said determinately.

“You better! I’ve tried everything, but she’s really bummed out. You started this so you need to fix it!” He pointed his claw at her.

Twilight, what aren’t you telling me? I know this is hard but, you’re stronger than this, I know you are. There’s something deeper that she’s hiding from me… and perhaps even from herself. I need to help her.

“Spike, can you help me up the stairs?” Spike glared at her dubiously, even suspiciously.

“You want me to help her? Well to do that I need to talk to her. Do you want to help Twilight or not?” She knew he couldn’t say no, and she was right.

“Fine.” Spike huffed, padding over to the bottom of the stairs with Sunrise behind him. Sunrise put her hoof around the small dragon’s shoulder and slowly leaned forward, putting her weight on him. Her braced legs limply bumping against the steps. Gritting her teeth she placed her free hoof on the first step and pulled forward out of her chair. Spike buckled, nearly losing his balance at the introduction of her weight. Slowly they made their way up the stairs.

“Spike?” She asked in a groan, her hoof straining painfully to keep pulling her mostly dead weight.

“What?” He snapped spitefully as he pulled her up the stairs.

“What do you think of me?”

“Why do you care?”

“We’ve been living together for a bit now and, I’ve enjoyed our time together. But, today you seem to have a great deal of animosity for me. Also, you never brought up anything about Rainbow Dash to me, were you not close?” They came to a stop half way up the stairs, Spike seeming to refuse to make eye contact with Sunrise. After a long moment he began pulling again.

“I think, I’ve never seen Twilight as sad or cry as much as since you showed up. If it were up to me, you wouldn't be staying here. And, I never brought up Rainbow Dash because Twilight asked me not to. But, since you asked, Twilight was much happier when Dash was around. Rainbow Dash was twice the friend you are. She would never let Twilight end up like this and she wouldn't be doing what you’re doing to her friends.” As he finished they reached the last steps. Sunrise closed her eyes and smiled.

“I’m going to make things right.” Spike released her in front of Twilight;s door her legs lying limp and useless on the floor. He turned back to the stairs and, without turning to face her, responded.

“If you really want to make things better, let Twilight use the memory spell or get out of our lives.” Before she could reply he made his way down the stairs.

No Spike, Rainbow Dash is gone. The memory Spell won’t work. You care for Twilight, and you want to protect her, I thought the same way, but we are wrong. Twilight is strong, what she needs isn’t to be protected, but to be supported. She needs to face the painful truths, it’s the right thing. But she doesn’t need to face them alone. I’ll continue to confront her with the truth, it may hurt, but only for a minute. It will hurt her for much longer if she indulges in lies for her heart’s sake. I’ll never let that happen to her. I, more than anything, want to see Twilight Sparkle, truly happy. With that thought she brought her hoof to Twilight’s door. The sound echoed through the room, but no response came. The floor was beginning to feel cold and uncomfortable.

“Twilight, I know you’re in there. Please, open the door. I want to talk to you and… I need to tell you how sorry I am.” A very long moment of silence passed with Sunrise waiting eagerly at her door, her hope quickly fading. She brought her hoof up once again but, before she could knock a light purple glow enveloped the knob. The door slowly pulled itself open. Twilight’s room was amazing, shelves full of books and stairs carved out of the tree leading up to her bed, above which was a large porthole window with a telescope in front of it. Twilight looked down to Sunrise from her bed. Eyes widening as she saw her friend laying pathetically on the floor.

“Sunrise! What are you doing on the floor?!” Her horn lit up and suddenly Sunrise found herself beside Twilight’s bed, in her wheelchair.

“Thanks Twilight, and sorry to bother you so early in the morning. I guess you probably wanted to sleep in but, I just needed to talk to you and..”

“Never mind that! Why were you on the floor? You could have set your recovery back by weeks!” Her eyes were filled with sympathy and worry as she looked over Sunrise’s legs. Her horn again lit up. Closing her eyes she focused her magic, engulfing sunrise’s hind legs in her magic. The pain she had felt in them began to ebb as it always did when Twilight used her magic on her. It had become something of a ritual for them, though, with the all that happened last night, they had not done it.

“I’m fine Twilight, I have no right to ask you to be worried for me. After what I did, I should be worrying about you, I should be taking care of you.” Twilight looked up at Sunrise from her bed, with tears in her wide purple eyes. Sunrise reached her hoof out, taking Twilight’s in hers. She looked deep into Twilight’s eyes, her own filled with sorrow and regret. They held their gaze for a minute, feeling exchanging through their eyes faster than words could speak.

“Twilight, I’m so sorry for what I did to Scootaloo. I’m sorry for leaving you alone. I’m sorry for all the hurt you’ve had to go through protecting me. I..”

“Sunrise, where were you?! You were gone all night! I- I thought… you left. I was so scared Sunrise! You could have had another attack and I wouldn’t be able to help you!” She spoke frantically, tears pouring down her face as she shakily held tight to Sunrise’s hoof.

“I know Twilight, I’m sorry. I- I had to do something. The way you looked at me after what I did to Scootaloo, and what you said.. Oh Twilight, please understand! I never want to see you hurt, you’re the most important pony in the world to me, my first and closest friend, the only family I have in the world. I was trying to protect you, but you need to know. I’ll never let you lie to yourself, I won’t watch you destroy your heart with lies because it’s spares you that short lived pain. That’s what lies do Twilight, they destroy your heart. A lie that protects your feelings will eventually became a part of you, a poisonous and dark part of you. You were right Twilight, when you said that the lies will eventually become a part of you and I won’t let that happen to you! Please understand, please…” She firmly wrapped her other hoof around Twilight’s, she could feel Twilight’s heartbeat, it was fast, but strong and steady. Their combined tears fell onto their hooves.

“Twilight, I went out last night to try and fix things. I had to make amends for what I did to Scootaloo, and… to you. I needed to make things right. Twilight, I thought you would hate me! I haven’t felt so lost or alone since before you took me in. I realized what you meant to me, I learned what I was willing to risk and willing to do to keep my happy life with you and Spike. Yes, despite everything that’s happened, I still love my life. I learned what it means to feel alone, and what that does to those you are close to. Twilight, when I found Scootaloo, I understood, that I can use my gift for understanding ponies to help them, and more importantly than that, I found a friend, a pony who could empathise with me, In Scootaloo. Scootaloo and I are friends now Twilight. I made everything alright, I made it all better. So, please Twilight, dont hate me, I don’t want to live without you.” She was trembling.Tears flowed uncontrollably down her face. She felt Twilight’s warm hoof pull away from hers, leaving a cold emptiness in its wake. Shutting her eyes tightly, she gave a pain filled smile. So it wasn’t enough. She’s going to leave me. Spike was right though, I’ve caused nothing but pain for her. I should leave, but I’m selfish… I don’t want to die alone. I.. Twilight I love.. She was torn from her thoughts as she felt her body being pulled down by hooves. When she stopped, her head was resting on something warm and soft. Then, she heard a sound, a heartbeat. Opening her eyes, she saw nothing but a sea of purple. She looked up to see Twilight’s head resting on her own. She felt her hot tears seeping into her mane as Twilight sobbed.

“I know Sunrise, I know. You can help them. You can save them, just like you saved me. Sunrise, I don’t hate you. You’re the only one who has stood beside me in all of this. Spike, he’s there for me but, he doesn’t understand. Sunrise, you saw through it all, you saw the real me under all the grief and, when no one else could, you pulled me free. It’s thanks to you that I can move on. You’re my best friend Sunrise, and- and I can’t lose you. Please, don’t run away like that again. I’ve already lost one pony I cared about, She ran away from me to, and, I’ll never see her again. I’ll never be able to say goodbye. Don’t make me go through that again Sunrise, not with you. Please..” She squeezed Sunrise, pulling her tight against her chest as Twilight cried into her shoulder. Sunrise returned the embrace, pressing her cheek against Twilight’s warm, soft fur. They cried together, for a long while they held each other and cried. The warm morning sun’s beams falling softly on their fur. The warmth of their bodies, combined with the gentle caress of the sun and their exhaustion, they were soon lulled into a peaceful, deep sleep in each others hooves. As they slept, a content smile glowed on both their faces.