• Published 4th Jan 2014
  • 3,908 Views, 261 Comments

Essence of a Sunrise: That which is Left Behind - maxxxxxx



In the wake of her harrowing search for her true self, Rainbow Dash wakes up to a hospital bed, surrounded by unfamiliar ponies. Or, is it even Rainbow Dash any more??

  • ...
15
 261
 3,908

Pinkie Pie

She sat in the empty waiting room, every beep and click echoed loudly in her mind. She was exhausted and fatigued. She had been waiting for almost two hours. Though, in her current state, she was glad to have some time alone with her thoughts.

What am I going to do? I shouldn't have lied to my friends, I should have told them back then that I couldn't do it. I should have made more of an effort to explain the position Sunrise was in. If I had done that, then maybe, I wouldn't be losing all the ponies I care about. Rainbow Dash, what would you do? My most loyal friend, what would you have said? I wish you were here, to tell me what to do. I know though, what you wouldn't do, is take the life of some innocent pony to save your own. Rainbow Dash, the most loyal pony I have ever known, I wont betray Sunrise. If you're watching over me, either from within Sunrise or from the next life, I hope you can see that I'm doing the right thing. You know, any pony who didn't know you like we did might have thought you were selfish and only cared about the spot light, but to anyone who knew you, you were always there for them. You could be brash and hot headed sometimes, but you were a friend anyone would have been lucky to have. I know it wasn't your choice to leave us, you wouldn't do that. We all want you back, oh Rainbow Dash, I want you back! Dashie, I don't know if I have the strength to do this and I know I don't have the strength to do it alone. I'm so thankful to have Sunrise with me. Whether or not you're still in there, she definitely has your loyalty, she'll be by my side through this just like you were. Please, watch over her to. She can be blunt and she says what she thinks, but she is very kind and smart. I think you would have liked her, you two may not have gotten along well at first, she would constantly bring you back to earth when you flew to high. You would probably resent it at first. But, when she shows that kindness, you realize, she only does it because she cares. She would earn your loyalty and you would earn hers and you would become close, just like I have with her in such a short time. Rainbow Dash, I hope you can forgive me, for moving on so quickly. And, I pray you forgive me for the last thing I said to you. I love you Rainbow Dash, I hope you know that.

The sound of a door handle turning pulled her from her thoughts, it was only then that she realized her face was wet with her tears. She frantically wiped her eyes with her foreleg before Sunrise rolled into the waiting room. Smiling at Twilight, until she noticed the darkened lines of her fur, stained from her tears. She came to a stop right in front of her, her eyes were full of compassion and concern.

“Twilight? What happened?” Twilight finished wiping her eyes, sniffling quietly before answering.

“It's nothing, I was... I was just thinking about things. I'm fine now, sorry to make you worry.”

“No, it's fine. If you want to talk about it, you know you can talk to me about anything right?” She put her hoof on Twilight's shoulder and looked deep into her eyes. Their was indeed a lot of sadness in them. But, it wasn't all pain. It was a bittersweet look, her eyes had a glow of acceptance and understanding. In her eyes, Sunrise could see a revitalized sense of purpose. The dull haze of grief was lifting. Twilight, had worked through the pain of loss all by herself. Sunrise smiled, she could only feel admiration for Twilight. She had done something incredible, and she had done it alone. Twilight, I'm happy for you.

“Thank you Sunrise, but... I think I'm going to be alright.” Twilight knew, she could feel it in Sunrise's smile. She didn't know how, but somehow, Sunrise knew the revelation she had just gone through in her mind. Sunrise could always do that. With nothing more that a glance she could see how Twilight felt. It scared her at first, but now, she didn't feel fear. She didn't feel exposed, no, instead she felt closer to her somehow, it was nice. They could exchange so much with very few words.

“I know you will, Because, Twilight, you're so strong. I really did underestimate you.” She brought her hoof back to the hoof rest on her chair. She was beaming with pride and admiration.

“Thank you Sunrise...” The depth of gratitude in her voice only made Sunrise smile brighter. She wasn't thanking her for the reassuring words, but simply for being able to understand and appreciate what she had gone through in her own mind. It was thanks for being understood, when no one else will. Neither of them were alone anymore. They both existed to each other on a level deeper than most. It was only now that she felt everything might be okay after all. They sat in silence, both enjoying the mere presence of the other. From any other perspective, you would never be able to tell the magnitude of the thoughts and feelings that had passed within, and between, those two. Soon though, the sounds of the hospital again became unsettling for Twilight. She broke the silence first, but it was not a jarring or awkward start.

“So, how did your tests go?”

“I don't know yet, the doctor said he would be out soon with the results.” Twilight began standing up.

“Oh I'll leave so you can discuss it. You know, doctor patient confidentiality. I'll go for a short walk then come back.” She only managed to take two steps before a hoof gently grabbed her shoulder. Twilight turned to see Sunrise's smiling face, she even seemed a little excited.

“Actually you don't have to leave. I talked to the doctor and, if you don't mind, I named you as my health care proxy. If anything happens to me and I'm not capable of deciding for myself, I want you to decide what to do. It's a big responsibility and I'll understand if you say no...”

“No, sunrise. Of course I'll do it. I wont let anything happen to you I promise. I- I'm happy that you trusted me to do this for you. I mean, you could have chosen your doctor, someone more qualified than..”

“Twilight, I know you didn't do it for me and, It wasn't my heart at the time, but you kept it beating when Rainbow Dash... when she died. It's thanks to you that I'm even alive and, I wouldn't have any other pony as my proxy. Not a doctor, not a lawyer, only you Twilight.”

“Sunrise...” She stared at her, her eyes were wide with surprise. The unexpected praise combined with the memory of that day left her with a complex and deep feeling between the boarder of happiness and sadness. They both turned their heads as a door behind them opened, interrupting the moment.

“Sorry for the wait, I have the results of the scans. Twilight, did you agree to being her health care proxy?” Twilight nodded.

“Yes doctor, I'll do it.”

“Great! I'm happy to hear you are both on good terms now. I told you didn't I? Twilight is a good and responsible friend, I'm glad you reconsidered her.” Sunrise glanced at Twilight, surprised to see a light blush to her cheeks. She smiled warmly.
“Yeah, so am I.”

“S-so what did the scans say?” Twilight stuttered nervously.

“Ah yes! Well, I have good news, It seems your legs are healing faster than expected. Um, Rainbow Dash was very athletic, I'm sure that's contributing to your speedy recovery. I want you to come back in a week for more scans but I think we can start your physical therapy sooner than I first expected!” Twilight and Sunrise both gave a sigh of relief.

“That's great Sunrise, you'll be walking soon!” Twilight said excitedly. Sunrise only rubbed her splinted legs gently with her hoof, smiling to herself.

“Also, I may have found a way for her to regain some wing function, though she will never be as fast as Rainbow Dash, and If she pushes herself too hard she would risk another heart attack. Also the treatment it's self may be dangerous in her condition so you should think about it and decide when you come back next week.” They both glanced at each other nervously.

“What's the treatment?” Sunrise asked.

“With very small and precise doses of electricity applied to the nerves in your wings, along with electromagnetic stimulation of the neurons in the motor cortex, we may be able to reestablish the brains connection with your wings.”

“Wait, you're talking about electroshock therapy? But, her heart...”

“Yes, it would be more dangerous given her condition, but the voltages are low and the pulses short lived, it shouldn't be enough to reach her heart, but the risk does increase with her heart in it's condition. That's why you should take your time to think carefully about it.”

“Thank you doctor. We'll talk about it.” Sunrise said simply. “I think we should get going now Twilight.” Twilight nodded as Sunrise turned her chair towards the door and rolled towards it.

“Thank you again doctor, for everything.” Twilight said before following her to the door. Sunrise's face was almost stoic, and that worried Twilight, but she knew Sunrise could handle it, because she was strong.
********************************************************************************************************************

How worth it are my wings. Flying sounds nice, but I don't think it would be worth the risk. I know what Twilight would say. She would want me to go for it. The risk is still pretty low, but the possible gain is nothing compared to the possible loss. But still...

“Sunrise? Are you listening?” Twilight said as she looked up at her with worry. Sunrise shook her head lightly, dispelling her thoughts.

“Yes Twilight, sorry. What were you saying?”

“I was saying we're almost at Sugar Cube Corner.”

“Oh.. Sorry, I was a bit lost in thought. We're going to see your friend Pinkie Pie right? Was she one of the ones who was there with you when I woke up in the hospital?”

“Yes, she was there. She's really excitable and friendly.” Twilight stopped as they came up the entrance of a brightly colored pinky building designed like a ginger bread house. Sunrise look up at it with the same bemusement that she had when first saw Twilight's house.

“This is it?”

“This is it!” She smiled. But it was short lived as it dissolved to a sadder, more serious look. “I was thinking, would you mind waiting out here? I- I want to try to explain it properly before she meets you. I think that's the best way to do it.” Sunrise nodded.

“Thank you for understanding, I'll be back out soon.” Sunrise watched as she disappeared behind the door.

She's trying to avoid making the same mistakes, but if she pushes too hard, she'll only end up making new mistakes. Twilight, be careful. I don't want to see you get hurt. You're strong, but you're still trying to take everything on your own. You can rely on me Twilight. Her ear twitched suddenly from the sound of a hoof step, before she could turn her head she heard a voice.

“Dashie?... Is that you?”
********************************************************************************************************************

“Dashie? Is that you?”

Sunrise turned to see a bright pink earth pony with a puffy pink mane. She looked at her hopefully but also with tears building in her eyes. Sunrise couldn't place why but she just felt that that face was unbecoming of this pony. Sadness just didn't seem to suit her. It actually gave her a pang of guilt to see her that way.

“No... it's not.” She said somberly. The pink pony gave a couple labored gasps before tears streamed down her face.

“But Dashie... but the- the spell, Twilight's spell..” By the end she was only quietly squeaking out the last words as the sobs constricted her throat.

“Don't blame her!” She shouted, the pleading in her voice snapped the ponies attention to her. She could feel it, tears were building up in her eyes. Her chest was becoming tight and she was struggling to breath, but she couldn't stop. For every fear labored breath she took, and image of Twilight gave her more strength.

“Don't. Please don't blame her. She didn't use the spell... she couldn't, because.. because I asked her not to. I begged her not to use the spell. It was me! Blame me... not Twilight. Please!”

“Why? Don't you want to come back to us? Dashie, you're the most loyal pony ever.. you- you can't just abandon me!” She opened her mouth but felt her lungs struggling to breath. She put her hoof to her chest, her heart rate was unsteady and her back and shoulder hurt like she was being stabbed. She coughed, closing one eye from the pain, but leaving one open, watching the pink pony.

“I- I'm not Rainbow Dash.” She coughed painfully, her mouth and throat were dry and her vision was starting to blur, though she couldn't tell if it was from her tears or the lack of oxygen. “I'm Vibrant Sunrise. I- I'm different than Rainbow Dash. I like to cook, and I love reading text books. I love being up to watch the sun rise every morning. I- I like living with Twilight and Spike. I want to keep living with them. I hate seeing Twilight sad. She's the only pony I have in the world and I want her to be happy! So please, I don't care if you hate me, I don't know you. But Twilight, she cares about all of you so much! Please, don't..” Her mind began to become hazy and her vision tunneled.

“Sunrise!” Twilight burst through the door and rushed to Sunrise's side. Her horn light up and pulled a small pill from a pouch on back of her chair.

“Sunrise, take this! Hurry!” She floated the pill into her mouth. Sunrise weakly swallowed as Twilight gently rubbed her back. She put her ear up against Sunrise's chest, listening to her heart beat. It was weak and unsteady at first but gradually became better. Sunrise's vision slowly returned to normal. She closed her eyes and focused on her breathing.

“I-is she okay?”

“Quiet Pinkie! I need to hear her heart!” Twilight silenced her returning her focus back to sunrise. Her rhythm started to even out and her breaths steady. She felt a hoof touch her shoulder.

“Thank you Twilight. I'm alright now.”

“Twilight I'm sorry! I- I didn't.” Twilight turned around and stepping protectively between Pinkie and Sunrise. Panic left her eyes as they softened. She took a deep breath.

“No Pinkie, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have yelled at you.” She looked back to Sunrise.

“Sunrise, we should go back to the hospital. Your heart could have..”

“Twilight, I said I'm fine. Besides, isn't there a reason we came here?”

“You nearly died! We need to go back to the hospital and...”

“Twilight.” Sunrise again cut her off. She rolled beside her and took her hoof into her own and placed it on her chest. Her heart beat was normal again. She took a big, deep breath to emphasize that she could breath again. “You aren't getting out of this that easily. You came here to talk to Pinkie Pie, and here she is.” Arguments flooded Twilight's mind. She wanted to protest, but she knew Sunrise would not yield. With an exasperated sigh she gave up.

“Fine, but promise me, if you feel anything unusual you'll tell me and we'll go to the hospital.” Sunrise nodded.

“I promise.” With that she turned her attention to Pinkie Pie. To her surprise, Pinkie didn't look very sad or upset. In fact she could see a familiar glimmer in her eyes. She felt renewed conviction, taking a deep breath she began.

“Pinkie Pie, meet Vibrant Sunrise. She's my friend. She's really smart and intuitive, she's stubborn sometimes but she's very nice. She's been living with me while she recovers and I was hoping you two could become friends.” Pinkie looked from Twilight to Sunrise incredulously. Then, instantly she broke into that huge Pinkie Pie smile that everypony knew.

“Of course I'll be her friend!” She blurted excitedly before happily bouncing over to Sunrise. She stopped only inches away from her face, still smiling brightly.

“Nice to meet you I'm Pinkie Pie but you can call me your new best friend! I would get out my cannon but I don't want you to be so overwhelmed with happiness that your heart explodes! So for now you'll just have to make do with this cake!” She pulled a cake almost as big as herself out of nowhere?.... Where did that cake come from?! It- I- but.. There wasn't any.. She looked to Twilight who was giggling to herself. I guess this is... normal? Oh well, Twilight's happy, Pinkie Pie is happy so I'll just leave it at that. Suddenly, in a blur of pink, hooves wrapped around her pulling her into a tight, but comfortable hug. Pinkie Pie embraced Sunrise with a certain tenderness, and then, she understood. That hug was for Rainbow Dash. She felt a warm breath near her ear.

“Goodbye...” Pinkie whispered in her ear before pulling away, smiling as though nothing happened.

“Well I have to go give gummy a bath! Oh look at that you can't carry that big a cake all the way home! I'll get you a smaller one!”

“Oh don't worry Pinkie, I can carry it with my magic. Though, I'm not sure it will fit in the fridge..” By the time she finished talking pinkie was already balancing the cake on her hoof, positioning it towards her mouth. Twilight gave a mental sigh. Oh Pinkie. as she finished her thought she had already immersed more than half the cake in her mouth and bit down. With a powerful gulp she swallowed it down and gave a refreshing gasp. A much more manageable sized cake was left over, strangely there weren't even any teeth marks.

“Here you go!” She said before running off into Sugar cube Corner. Twilight and Sunrise looked at each other, bemused, before breaking into fits of laughter.

“So that's Pinkie Pie?” She said, tapering off her giggles.

“Yep! See, I told you I knew my friends!” She smiled proudly, Sunrise smiled right along with her.

“I never should have doubted you.”
*************************************************************************************************************************

The two laughed as they walked into their home. The sun disappearing behind the horizon. Twilight opened the door with her magic, Sunrise rolled into the library with Twilight close behind.

“Wow, so she made that many copies of herself? And couldn't tell if she was the original or not? You guys get into some crazy things, though with someone like her around that's not necessarily a bad thing. She seems like the type who makes even the craziest situations fun. She sure was lucky to have you around though. That was good thinking Twilight.” She shut the door behind them as the stopped in the middle of the room.

“I guess, I know it would have worked out some how though. And yeah, we have had our share of adventures. Pinkie Pie is a life saver though, she really has a way of brightening up even the darkest of times.”

“Twilight, I have to apologize. For not giving you or your friends enough credit. I never thought she would take it so well. You're lucky to have such good ponies around you.” Twilight's chest puffed out a little with pride. They smiled at each other. Things are finally going well. Sunrise thought to herself.

Suddenly a cool night wind blew into the library as the door was flung open. They both spun around, Twilight's heart skipped a beat as time seemed to come to grinding halt. Adrenaline surged through her body at what she saw. Sunrise looked from Twilight, they way she looked at the pony who stood at the door made her worry that Twilight might have a heart attack. Twilight took a staggering step back. She barely whispered her name.

“S- Scootaloo.”