• Published 4th Jan 2014
  • 3,907 Views, 261 Comments

Essence of a Sunrise: That which is Left Behind - maxxxxxx



In the wake of her harrowing search for her true self, Rainbow Dash wakes up to a hospital bed, surrounded by unfamiliar ponies. Or, is it even Rainbow Dash any more??

  • ...
15
 261
 3,907

Date (1)

A bright but gentle light stirred Sunrise from her comfortable sleep. She was resting against something soft and warm, she was almost too comfortable to get up. Slowly she opened her eyes, which she quickly regretted as she swiftly shut them tight as the bright sun light streaming in from the window met her eyes. After a brief recoil she turned her head away from the light and opened her eyes again. She was more than surprised to find that she had slept much of the day away, though she had been up all night. Her thoughts still hazy she looked down to the comfortable warmth she was curled around. A warm smile spread across her face as she remembered the events earlier that day. Twilight Sparkle was sound asleep beneath her, breathing gently and steadily, she was still fast asleep.

She looks so peaceful. Its a side of her I have never seen. With all the stress I have been putting her through, I'm happy I can see her like this. I think, I'll let her sleep... With that thought she carefully lay back beside her. Carefully laying her tail over Twilight's. Again she felt warm, but this time, it was a different warmth, a deeper one from with in. She was beaming. Surprised at just how happy something so simple was making her.

What is this? This feeling I get when I'm with her? I'm only taking a nap and yet, I feel so happy that it's with her. Am I... falling in love, with Twilight Sparkle? She watched her closest friend sleep, her face was calm and peaceful, every once in a while her ear would twitch slightly. She must have been comfortable as well because she had a small trail of drool pooling on her sheets. And, to her surprise, Sunrise found even that endearing, maybe even.. cute? Lost in thought she was unable to hear the patter of small claws coming up the stairs. Suddenly, a sharp knock at the door jarred her from her thoughts.

“Hey! Are you Two in there? It's almost Three!” Spike called from behind the door. Twilight's comfortable look transformed into a small grimace. She slowly opened her eyes, her body trembled as she stretched herself.

“Uhg, What time... Sunrise!?” Upon setting her eyes on her friend she jumped back, eyes wide with surprise. I guess she's awake now. She smiled to herself.

“Good morning Twilight. Sleep well?” She asked nonchalantly, smiling.

“Oh I'm so sorry Sunrise that was completely inappropriate! I don't usually fall asleep like that, I don't know what came over me.” Her eyes looked around the room, nervously avoiding Sunrise, a light blush beginning to appear on her face. Sunrise gave a reassuring smile.

“Don't worry about it Twilight, neither of us got much sleep so it's understandable.”

“Y- yeah, that's true!” She said, relieved to have an out.

“Let's go make breakfast. Well, I guess it would be lunch now.” She giggled softly. Twilight nodded, upon realizing the empty feeling in her stomach. She had not eaten since yesterday.

“That sounds like a good idea. Let's eat.” Twilight assisted Sunrise back into her wheelchair and they made their way to the door with Twilight pushing Sunrise in front of her.

“Twilight, after we eat I'm going out for a bit..” Twilight stopped with a bemused look on her face.

“Oh, okay. Where are we going?”

“Actually Twilight, I kind of have to go alone... But don't worry, I'll be with friends so I'll be alright.” For a moment Twilight looked downcast, perhaps even a little hurt, but it was soon replaced with a tepid smile.

“Okay, but be careful. Don't let your heart rate go too high, and take you're pills before you go. Also don't forget to bring your nitrates and...” Sunrise silenced Twilight, placing a hoof tenderly on hers. Twilight stopped and looked down to Sunrise's eyes, brimming with reassuring calm.

“It'll be okay” Sunrise smiled, softly massaging Twilight's hoof with her own. Twilight took in the details of the look in her eyes, and the tranquility of her smile. After a moment, with a gentle sigh, she smiled back a Sunrise.

“I know, I'm sorry.” Still smiling, Sunrise shook her head at Twilight's apology.

“Don't be, without you, I would likely be... well, dead by now. I owe you so much for everything I put you through Twilight. I'll be back soon, I promise.” Her voice carried a hint of excitement and eagerness that made Twilight curious, but she brushed the thought aside. I'm sure she'll tell me when she's ready, and it's been too long since she's seemed this happy.

“Okay, I'll see you when you come home.” They were both brimming with happiness as Twilight and Sunrise left her room, Twilight closing the door behind them.
****************************************************************************************************************

“I'm extremely fortunate.” Sunrise said quietly to herself as she left Golden Oak Library, Smiling contently the whole way. I had no family, no home, no memories and no friends. Then, Twilight, in her misplaced desire to have her old friend back, took me in. It was hard for both of us but now, I can't imagine my life without her. Probably because it would likely have ended already. Through all of this, even though my life will be short... If Twilight will be with me through all of it, then it will be a thirty years worth a lifetime. That is how I feel. It doesn't matter if it's not reciprocated, just the fact that I could get so close to somepony. Perhaps though, I'm jumping the gun. It doesn't matter, today is about her not my feelings. With that thought, her purpose was reinvigorated. With a determined smile she began looking around town for her targets, it didn't take long for Sunrise to spot one of her friends walking in the opposite direction from her with two other fillies not far from herself. She rolled her chair faster, but being careful not to get her heart rate going too high. It's wasn't long before she caught up to them.

“Hey Scootaloo, can we talk?” Scootaloo whirled around excitedly but her excitement was short lived as the site of Sunrise in her wheelchair reminded her of the reality. Rainbow Dash was still gone. With a glum look she turned to her friends who were eying Sunrise nervously with suspicion.

“Sorry, could you give us a minute? I'll catch up.” Her voice had a hint of melancholy as she spoke. Her two friends looked nervously at each other.

“You sure?” Said the filly with the large pink bow. Sunrise remembered seeing the filly before and her drawl was familiar.

“Scootaloo nodded. “I'm sure.” She said reassuringly.

“Well, alright... We'll see ya soon then.” She said unconvinced. Still the two fillies began to take their leave, but not before a warning glare from the one with the bow was directed at Sunrise. Scootaloo waved to her friends as the left before turning back to Sunrise.

“So what's up?” She said in awkward nervousness.

“Yeah guys, what's up!?” A voice chimed suddenly in causing Scootaloo to jump. They turned their heads simultaneously to see a pink earth pony smiling brightly at them.

“Pinkie Pie! You nearly gave me a heart at.. um... you, uh.. scarred me.” She averted her eyes from Sunrise and rubbed her neck with her hoof awkwardly. Sunrise however was looking excitedly at Pinkie.

“Pinkie, perfect timing! Would you girls help me set up a date for me and Twilight?” Scootaloo's jaw dropped but Pinkie's smile was unfazed.

“Sure!”

“A date!?” Scootaloo exclaimed.

“Yes, a date. Look, I put Twilight through so much and she has been there for me despite it all. She has stayed by my side and I want to show her how much she means to me. You two are the only other friends I have. Wont you please help me?” She asked hopefully.

“Wait! You want to take Twilight out on a date? Like a date date? As in a special somepony kind of date?” Scootaloo asked bewildered. Her question gave Sunrise pause for thought thought. She reflected on what Scootaloo was implying. Is she right? Is that really how I feel about her? Twilight... My special somepony? What does that mean? Somepony who is special to me? Is Twilight special to me? Of course she is... does that mean I love her though? I don't know, Twilight means so much to me and, a life without her would be sad and short for me indeed. Does she feel the same way? It's unlikely, Somehow, I think her feelings for Rainbow Dash ran deep, She may acknowledge me as my own pony now, she may even be my friend now, but love is an entire different thing. Is it even right for me to put her in that position? It's hasn't been long since she lost her friend, and, it's not as easy to move on when you have to look at the face of the pony you lost every day. That's just one of the things I like about her though, she's so strong. I feel good when I'm around her, so maybe, I do feel that way for her. But, It wouldn't be fair to her to tell her this. I'll treat her to this date, for me, for my feelings and because I want to see her smile for as long as I can. If I could see her smile everyday for the rest of my life, even if I die only a few years from now, it will have been a life well spent. In a motion to subtle for either Scootaloo or Pinkie to see, she nodded to herself.

“Scootaloo, all I know is, I want Twilight to be happy. I think this date will make her happy.”

“Make her happy, or make you happy?” Scootaloo said in a slightly accusatory tone, Sunrise smiled at her with a hint of pride at how insightful the filly was. She had been seen through.

“I'll be happy to spend time with Twilight, but the objective is to make her happy, and that in turn will make me happier. So, will you two help me? Please, you are the only other friends I have.”

“Of course we'll help!” Pinkie said, placing a hoof on Sunrise's shoulder. Scootaloo's answer came more slowly but, with a small sigh she nodded.

“So what will you need?” Scootaloo asked. At that question Sunrise gave a devilish grin.

“Do you know where we could get a cherry picker?”