• Published 31st Dec 2013
  • 3,751 Views, 425 Comments

Imbalanced - Nameless Narrator



Equestria always needs saving and now there is the worst pony for the job. A story about how things never go as planned following the life of a young, depressed unicorn destined to be a hero whether he wants to or not. SPOILER: He doesn't.

  • ...
11
 425
 3,751

PreviousChapters Next
New Life: Accident

[Blazing's Entry]

The castle is a bit warmer again thanks to me and yesterday I even found the courage to ask around about the fireplace thing. Turns out it's partially gas-fueled and all I need is coal and a tinderbox to get it going.

Despite what Choking said her visits have been very rare lately and despite what I said I'm happy for that. Few days ago I went out and got myself a sleeping bag and some martial arts magazines to show me the right direction. Surprisingly enough, the goal is NOT to end up with your hind leg in your mouth. Who would have guessed?

Also, if you read this diary again, Choking, I will be shoving the coal somewhere else than into the coal chute and you can bet Celestia's sun doesn't shine there either.

[End Entry]


I hate to admit it but I'm kind of scared. I'm getting better at hitting the wall with all the kicks and punches but eventually it all feels like it's not enough, like it can't ever be enough. Is it even possible for a self-taught nopony to defend himself from an attack of multiple well-trained ponies? Wouldn't it really be better to just leave this place an seek new life elsewhere now that I have some experience in menial work and the references of working in the castle? Every time I try to think about the future these two questions pop up and I still have no answer. Well, that's not true - I know the answer to both.

Fighting is possible. From what I've read in one of the magazines there are some combat styles, like box, which are well-known in pony community and there is a lot of styles adapted from native griffon grab-and-throw combat. Most of those are taught in the Guard, I noticed that when I spent one free afternoon watching recruits in the castle gardens which means that's what I'll be going against unless they decide to go for a direct approach and bring weapons in which case I'm screwed. I guess it's pretty obvious at this point that I mean to keep my promise which will eventually lead to me confronting Valiant Charge and his croneys and, if things stay the way they are, will lead to a lot of pain on my side.

The worse part, and I'm not sure that is the case, is that something is happening to me. Since meeting the white lady in the infirmary I've been feeling weird and noticing the fangs in my mouth didn't really help. Still, I'm not biting my tongue as much as before which is a mild improvement but what surprised me most was when I accidentally did a move which was called four-twenty-MLG-no-scope (probably something lost in translation from ancient griffon) kick and landed poorly causing me to twist a hoof. I expected not being able to walk properly for at least a week but just by thinking about the wound it disappeared in a small burst of green fire. Granted, I was feeling weak and dizzy for a while after that but that might have been just shock from the healing. The reason it worries me so much is that after the fire disappeared, I lost the fur around my hoof and a small part of my leg changed into something. It still is the same bronze color as my coat but it's harder than skin and also heavier. I've never seen anything like that before. Also, it happened to my chest as well after healing the broken ribs and I've never been happier for a gift of clothing in my life. I'll just have to limit the healing to minimum until I find out the specifics of this... thing.

I'm not sure it's a good thing but I haven't felt the white lady since the infirmary incident meaning I have one less thing to worry about for a while.

"Practicing hard?"

"YAAAH!"

I have to admit I'm getting better at balancing on one leg and punching the air but that doesn't mean I'm better at keeping track of my surroundings. Thankfully, my terrified scream in no way slows the progress of my exercise and only serves to amuse my red and black visitor. She sits down on the rug from her office I still keep around despite having something better to sleep in and silently watches me as I continue with the slow motions intertwined with fast jabs and kicks. I don't really feel comfortable with somepony watching me but comfort is something I cannot affort at the moment. She doesn't interrupt me at any point though. With sweat dripping on the floor I finally finish my routine and I notice she hasn't left for the shower yet.

"You do this every day?" she asks.

"Well yea. Since the... accident."

The unspoken agreement is that all that happened was an accident but she knows. She caught on way too fast for this to be an isolated incident which made me think Valiant did this before to somepony else.

"Why?" the slow, careful tone worries me slightly.

"I used to do an easier version of this to keep myself warm before I found out how to operate the fireplace and now it just helps to move around a bit so I don't get fat."

"Maybe I should ask for double portions of coal every night if you feel you don't get enough exercise," she says. It sounds like her usual jokes but it feels completely different. I can't identify what's bugging me but I don't like it.

There is one more thing I attribute to the transformation and that is the ability to feel something about a pony. I have no clue what it is and I can't feel anything significant from most ponies around but being around Choking usually feels like being close to a small sun giving me energy to go on. As soon as I focus on this she yawns.

"Damn I must've been overdoing it lately. Feelin' tired all of a sudden."

"A mare getting sleepy in my presence, is it high school all over again?" I try to lighten the mood which for some reason seems normal but feels way different.

"Heh, maybe-" she collapses on the floor.

"What's going on?" I jump to her and pick her up, she is so light. I gasp at the difference which few weeks made in me.

"Mmmm, tired," she mumbles into my chest and I lower her down into my sleeping bag.

It must be a cold but she doesn't seem to be uncharacteristically warm, although I've never been an expert on the temperature of mares. I suppress every urge to keep her heat closer and when I put her down I realize her sun has shrunk down drastically. Must not panic, must keep my cool.

What now? The infirmary, of course!

NO. Get away from her!

I can't just leave her here.

She's fine, YOU are the problem. Go as far as possible.

How could I be the problem? I would never hurt her. There must be a logical explanation.

And you are not in the state to find it right now. There's something you can't control so get the buck out of the castle and hope to both princesses it's enough.

I run. The voice is right and I have enough control to admit that I'm not in the right frame of mind to think straight.

The Canterlot gates signal to me that I've ran way too far without slowing and getting tired in the slightest. No matter how hard I try I can't attribute this to any amount of exercise. I've never been a good runner and while my job got me into an excellent shape compared to when I arrived here this is too unusual.

So, what now? Leave the castle forever? AM I actually far enough? Is she okay?

One by one.

I take a deep breath and begin walking slowly along the city walls. First things first - is she okay?

Given that you've been close to her before without anything happening and all this began when you began trying to understand what the 'sun' was and focusing on it she should be fine. She was fine inbetween visits, right?

Right, so there was no reason to run around the entire city.

Without getting tired. In fact, you are still full of energy.

Oh dear. So I have to control myself in her presence even more than usual, which is hard enough as it is?

Not thinking with your junk helps.

The amount of sarcasm the voice emanates proves one thing - it definitely comes from within me. There is nothing which would like putting me down on the same scale as me.

Guess who gets borderline schizofrenia as a Heart's Warming gift!

Cut the crap. Can we go home now? The rush of 'everything will be okay' does more than an another run could.

Yea. Just control yourself a bit more. Thinking with your balls in her presence might be amusing though.

Very funny.

Do you prefer thinking with... whatever almost devoured her today?

I'm right and I spend most of my trudging through the snow thinking about how not to repeat my mistake. The castle and eventually the door of my home stand in front of me and I've still got nothing. I'm sweaty, wet and my legs are shaking in fear of what will happen now but I have to go inside.

The small sun is shining again in my sleeping bag and I feel the snow on my hooves melting. I smile.

KITTENS COVERED IN SPIKES!

I almost get a neck cramp from turning my head too fast and then I realize while I can feel the heat, I can 'see' Choking normally. She's waving at me.

"Sorry to have bothered you. Dunno what came over me," she says and I can't even describe how her cheery greeting makes me happy.

Remember! USE YOUR LOWER BRAIN.

"Meh. I'm getting used to mares swooning over me now that I'm fit and sexy," I grin at her but this is the game she's a grandmaster at.

She licks her fangs and once again reveals how long her tongue really is.

"Gotta admit ya shaped up a bit since you came here. I might even wanna have a bite of that firm rump of yours."

I'm unable to stop the image in time and the game ends with my face burning and me looking at the floor trying to hide it.

"Ehm, uh, why did you come here earlier? You didn't seem interested in a shower."

The atmosphere turns serious again.

"Is there any way I can help you deal with Valiant Charge?"

Sleep with him and then poison his sandwiches.

I hate both my selves.

PreviousChapters Next