• Published 31st Dec 2013
  • 3,751 Views, 425 Comments

Imbalanced - Nameless Narrator



Equestria always needs saving and now there is the worst pony for the job. A story about how things never go as planned following the life of a young, depressed unicorn destined to be a hero whether he wants to or not. SPOILER: He doesn't.

  • ...
11
 425
 3,751

PreviousChapters Next
Making Things Right-ish: Jumping

[Blazing's Jump #1]

Welllll, great. Thinking the spell would be straightforward and just get me where and when I needed to be proved amusingly wrong. The one and only good thing is that the Element was still with me and was able to identify the time period where I ended.

And so was I. I mean, landing in the Canterlot castle throne room in the middle of changeling invasion and practicing my skills for about an hour was pretty fun and all but I think me causing queen Chrysalis to fall unconscious due to magic overuse exhaustion doomed the world anyway.

On the other hoof, Twilight Sparkle was grateful enough for me saving her brother and princess Cadence to research Void's spell from me unconsciously absorbing some of its magic and she wrote it down for me to use for more jumps.

If my self from that dimension somehow succeeds in averting the invasion he might get pretty surprised by the fact that there already is a statue of him in Canterlot.

And he'll never know. He he he (insert evil laughter here).

[End Entry]


[Blazing's Jump #2]

Hmmm. Apparently it's much more difficult to make Twilight Sparkle perform the spell when I'm not some kind of hero. Fortunately, when I broke out of Ponyville mental hospital, found her in the village and kept slapping her until she decided to listen my magic stealing ability was enough to spark interest in her and my travelling spell fascinated her for about a week.

Well fed and brimming with energy I was sent out again.

[End Entry]


[Blazing's Jump #3]

DRAGONS! DRAGONS EVERYWHERE! WINGS DON'T STOP REAL FIRE, ONLY MAGICAL.

[End Entry]


[Blazing's Jump #4]

Appearing in the Everfree Forest wasn't that bad with me knowing what not to eat. Getting out was the hard part. There were, of course, roads leading through but those were heavily patrolled leading to my brush, heh, with Royal Guard.

Upside: No matter the dimension, security in Canterlot sucks.

Thank heavens for Twilight Sparkle's obsession with unique magic. I mean the constant begging for my release into home-observation was fun to watch but eventually I had to go.

[End Entry]


[Blazing's Jump #11]

Find Twilight.
Persuade her to cast the spell.
Jump.
Repeat.

[End Entry]


[Blazing's Jump #16]

I've been thinking about how to deal with the situation home for past few jumps. I usually spend between three days and a week in every reality so I have time to think things through.

Firstly, I have to make Void get his body faster. Unfortunately, I don't have a clue what happened between Choking and him so I have no clue how to make them get to the Crystal Empire faster. I'll keep thinking about it, perhaps Void's curtain thing will get him to hurry.

Secondly, thinking backwards from the Corrupted Heart explosion I believe I still have to get close to Sombra which means killing the Elements. I don't want to, I mean if I'm trying to make things right I might as well try to make everything work out the way I want.

So... will I have to chance to avoid my own mistakes or will I have to just forget my promise to Void and repeat all my failures which led to my success eventually?

[End Entry]


[Blazing's Jump #19]

In all previous jumps I appeared in a time period I considered normal but I think Void made a mistake when he said the spell would make me come back in time gradually. It's possible that my magic resistance is interfering with the spell as well and may cause misfires from time to time.

In short, I had to find a different mage this time. On the other hoof, I'm getting pretty competent with blocking magic. The real problem is that the more complex the blocked spell is the more difficult it is to break.

Or so I thought. A short exchange with princess Luna when she thought I was threatening Starswirl the Bearded taught me otherwise. Celestia's magic in the Crystal Empire and in some realities where I had to take direct measures to persuade Twilight made me believe I had what it takes to deal with an alicorn but no, not even close.

Celestia is just a terrible mage.

The misunderstanding cleared up thanks to Starswirl and both of them took an interest in me and the Element so I decided to stay for a while and regain strength. Funnily enough, Luna had no problems with feeding me some prisoners from castle dungeons.

Practicing against her taught me a lot. First and foremost that I can't go against a mage with her kind of experience and skill. Her repertiore of spells is greater than I can identify and neutralize. Thankfully, there's been less than ten mages with those qualities in history. Not so thankfully, if I land in their time period I'll have to somehow deal with them.

Lastly, Starswirl is a crazy funny drunk. I hope nopony who writes books about his life finds out about the bottles with drinking straws embedded in his fake beard.

[End Entry]


[Blazing's Jump #28]

I'm getting tired. I have no clue how long it's been since I began jumping or whether it even matters because according to Chrysalis, changelings can live almost forever with enough love. I'm trying to avoid thinking about the possibility of me jumping for eternity but it's getting harder and harder.

To pass time I keep going through as much as I can remember from Nightmare Night onwards and occasionally I find out another problem I'll have to face. This time it occured to me that I'll have to somehow disguise my arm and horn. The arm won't be a problem depending on where and when I appear but a red crystal I've never seen on my side of Equestria will surely cause trouble.

[End Entry]


[Blazing's Jump #35]

Another misfire. Cave ponies are funny though. Their ug-zug speech is still more eloquent than me when I used to talk to mares. Good times.

Yeah, I posed for some cave pictures.

I was afraid I might get stuck here for ages but the god of that place was the alicorn of Magic himself. He copied the spell for his library to impress Void later, cheater.

He also told me something I haven't even considered. I had no idea how to recognize the right reality where to stop. It will be the one where the portal bringing me there doesn't close immediately.

I think I dodged the arrow there.

[End Entry]


[Blazing's Jump #36]

I don't want to fight Luna again. EVER.

This was a reality where the roles of the princesses were reversed and Celestia was the one with a stigma of the past meaning Luna was the one trying to stop me from forcing Twilight to use the spell.

Even with me full of energy, it was almost impossible to survive long enough for her to begin talking.

[End Entry]


[Blazing's Jump #37]

I took some time to relax.

It turned out to be a bad idea because the invasion came and I was able to see what happens if I fail. Scream wasn't kidding when she said she had a better idea how to break Celestia. I mean the mirror part of my reality was more or less peaceful but in this one Sombra and his minions really began killing every single pony publicly to break Celestia's subjects mentally and eventually torture everypony to death.

I don't value life much after parting with mine but this one really showed me how fragile it really is and that no matter how powerful one can become there is no way to prevent all disasters.

That was the first time I tried the travelling spell myself.

NOTE: NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!

[End Entry]


[Blazing's Jump #38]

My attempt during last jump proved fortunate but I'll never make the same mistake again.

As for the fortunate part:

I landed on the outskirts of Ponyville in such shape that fate itself must have sent me Fluttershy to help. She helped me with healing even the smallest broken bones and burned remains of my carapace.

NOTE: To make jumps faster:
1) kidnap Fluttershy
2) tell her my story
3) while she's crying, take some pictures.
4) send to Twilight.
5) have the spell ready in about two days.

[End Entry]


[Blazing's Jump #45]

This one... will stay with me for the rest of my life. In both good and bad way.

The reality was one where the Elements failed to resonate with Twilight Sparkle in the castle of pony sisters and Nightmare Moon won. As much as I hated fighting against Luna this was the power of an ancient god with her skill in magic. With my anti-magic swords broken after striking the Crystal Heart, not even my blocking skill and the power of the Element of Betrayal was enough to scratch the deity.

I appeared in Trixie's summoning circle and she presented herself as Nightmare Moon's apprentice. With me being part changeling I was used as a catalyst for Starswirl's fate changing spell and she changed something in my changeling part and now I'm able to feel negative emotions as well as love. Can't feed on those though which can't be said about the result of Nightmare's efforts.

How to summarize it? I now know first-hoof how high-tier changelings breed because it was my duty to lay eggs inside everypony afflicted by the power of Nightmare. From the first clutch came some next generation changelings with burning blue eyes and the ability to feed on fear. With the entire world slowly falling into darkness and eternal nightmare-filled sleep with black silouhettes watching over ponies and griffons alike, Trixie wasn't able to bear her guilt and sent me on my way before taking her life.

I think she was luckier than those who stayed there.

[End Entry]


[Blazing's Jump #46]

I'm being followed. I don't know how or by whom but sometimes I can feel the energy of the nightmarish world in my wake. Void prepared the spell to work only for me but somehow I know that's not the case anymore.

Should I just give up, find a reality similar enough to mine and live the rest of my days there?

NOTE: I can't do that. After being here a month I can feel the shadow behind me getting too close but mainly I feel the reality rejecting me and breaking in my vicinity. My guess is that if I stay too long I'll end up just dropping somwhere at random so I just have to keep jumping until I reach a destination I don't even know exists.

I'm tired. It's been over a year.

Next time I have the inkling to promise something to somepony I'll just rip out my tongue.

[End Entry]


PreviousChapters Next