• Published 31st Dec 2013
  • 3,751 Views, 425 Comments

Imbalanced - Nameless Narrator



Equestria always needs saving and now there is the worst pony for the job. A story about how things never go as planned following the life of a young, depressed unicorn destined to be a hero whether he wants to or not. SPOILER: He doesn't.

  • ...
11
 425
 3,751

PreviousChapters Next
From Bad To Worse: Memory

[Blazing's Entry]

Contrary to what I've always been told, vengeance isn't that bad. It really leaves one unsatisfied but at least I know Blueblood is enough of a coward not to risk repeating his mistakes.

All this being said, I want my old life back. It's not going to happen but I still want it.

[End Entry]


In new situations, pony mind is drawn to familiarities and so is mine after yesterday. That is the reason why my head is sticking to a table glued by my own drool. As confusing as the moment would have been to somepony else, it's nothing new to me as most of my mornings begin like this.

"Wake up, mister!"

"Mrmmfrgh."

A nudge to my shoulder is supposed to help me register my surroundings.

"Wake up!"

My mind snaps back to reality with unusual ease considering that in my bloodthirsty revelation yesterday I stumbled upon one familiar bar which I knew would be open and inviting, the Lucky Horseshoe. Also considering the effect Archibald's cocktails had on ponies.

"I'm awake, I'm awake," I blink at Archie.

"Good, for a second I though I'd have ta splash some water at ya."

"Sorry, Archie."

"No biggie, ya ok?"

"I'm fine. I'm actually surprised you let me sleep here tonight."

"Ya know, guards don't usually make trouble even when drunk as a skunk and any friend of Darky deserves a bit of special attention."

"Is Choking okay?"

"Yeah, she's been here some two-three days ago with her new coltfriend."

Well, she got over getting you killed quickly.

"New coltfriend?"

"Strange, black guy. Looks a tad feminine if ya ask me, kinda like you, no offense, but he's strong like an ox and talks like a school textbook."

"Really deep voice?"

"Yeah, ya know 'im?"

I grin to myself.

So... Void is alive and kicking. What's he doing with Chokey though, using her or something?

My grin freezes at the possibilities of what a Tartarus demon could be doing with a defenseless batpony.

"I've met him few times. Were they... friendly with each other?"

"They were drinking a lot but it didn't do much, musta messed up the batch that time. Some guys challenged the black unicorn to hoof wrestling and got beaten horribly. Oh right and the big guy who challenged him was here the whole evening in a maid costume."

"What? Wait, nevermind, I don't even want to know."

"Well that's it. They just talked a tad and left pretty early. Speaking of which..."

"Yea, I'll be going now Archie, sorry and thanks."

"No problem. Have a nice weekend."

Hmmm. Chokey is in the company of a demon who may or may not be holding her hostage although drinking together isn't really a clue. Gotta look into it.

What to do in case I find out he's hostile though? Flail at him wildly for a second before he wipes the floor with me?

Know about any weapons capable of harming a magical creature?

Well yeah... nonononono.

Why not?

I really don't like where this is going but there is a set of weapons perfectly suited for me which fulfill the requirements of being magical... well, not exactly, maybe precisely the opposite.

Not knowing whether to smile or tremble in terror my future reveals itself. But I have to do it, just to make sure Choking isn't in danger because of me.

"BREAKING NEWS! PRINCE BLUEBLOOD IN A HOSPITAL AFTER AN ATTACK! ROYAL GUARD IS STUMPED!"

The promotional chant catches my attention and I buy a copy of the Canterlot Herald. Apparently Blueblood talked only about ghosts and completely forgot my name. I also find out I've been dead only for a day.

There is something I really need to do right now though. Since the castle would be almost empty during the weekened I need to recover my things, namely some weapons and my diary.

The chances of meeting somepony there are pretty slim as most of the guards are out and there is nothing which would make recruits spend their free time in the castle as well. All I have to do is to get to my office and grab the things since that's where I think they were brought after my imprisonment.

The door is locked. How that could have happened is beyond me but I would be a pretty poor guard if I had no idea how to get to my own office at any point in time. Positioning my neck below the doorhandle, I push up and hit the lock in just the right way causing it to click open. Arming myself and hiding the diary in my saddlebags I look around just in case I forgot something.

Huh, Choking's pep pills? Those might come in handy.

I swipe the bottle, just in case a situation comes up where I need to use both swords and move. Time to go.

Rising Thunder.

Or not. I'm sure he isn't at the castle at the moment but I have no idea where he lives.

Choking's office hosts some personal files, getting inside will be a problem though.

It isn't. I guess I'm just naturally lucky.

Yeah, right. Stars themselves must be helping you here. It's nice being on the right path for once.

Choking's never been a very organized pony but despite the chaos inside I eventually find Rising Thunder's personal file.

I'm ready.

Really?

Of course not. To find one of the weapons needed to complete the pair neccessary to harm a magical, demonic or divine creature I need to visit the ponies who were tasked to guard it from any influence. The Sword of Light, Solar Blade, Sun Stab-thingy and other names have been assigned to the weapon given to the Order of the Silver Sun for safekeeping.

I have to go home... for Chokey, to stand against anypony between me and my goal.


Lost in memories, the ride back to Manehatten doesn't seem as long as it really is to me.

I could navigate the angular streets in my sleep and it doesn't take long to see a three-story mansion where I spent my entire colthood.

"Ding dong"

The ringtone at the door summons an older pony in a tuxedo whose eyes widen as he sees me.

"Mister Light, I am so happy to-" his greeting is cut short when I knock him out. There is very little danger. Most servants have a day off on Sunday.

"Sorry, Stones."

He will be okay, Brazen Stones is much tougher than his age would suggest.

I can still go back. There is no way this can end well. But what do I have to return to?

No... one last service, one last concern to deal with and then I can get hung again.

Hanged. Hung would be the other thing.

Breathe in, breathe out. Even after walking the short distance through the main hall my legs are shaking and my mouth is dry.

You're not a little colt anymore.

Compared to him I am.

There is nothing left for you.

Without further delay I open the door to the living room.

An adult unicorn much bigger than me is sitting in a chair reading in sunlight coming from a nearby window. I don't know where to begin but my father takes charge and spares me the effort.

"I thought I told you I didn't want to see you again."

In a still shaky voice I reply.

"I-I'm here for the sword."

The unicorn calmly puts his book down and stands up. Despite visible signs of age he is considerably muscular and his size combined with the length of his horn revealing his overwhelming magical power almost makes my legs fail me.

Almost... for the first time in my life.

I'm not breaking down. I'm not cowering. I'm standing in awe of everything that makes this ex-mercenary such a menacing presence.

Even age can't mask his shiny white coat and golden mane. He looks godlike compared to grubby me. A guy who married into nobility and forced others to respect him through his raw willpower and strength of his conviction.

"Still a pussy, just as I remember. And here was me thinking the world would make something out of you," he looks down at me.

My shaking stops. I've been in this situation way too many times to be scared. This is what I've been secretly training my martial arts for despite not wanting this time to come. While terrified of Valiant Charge I was still practicing in case this day would come.

And despite my physical change he doesn't even flinch.

"You have no idea," I say coldly.

"And I don't care. Get out before I deal with you."

"Give me the sword and I won't hurt you."

"Hurt me?" Blinding Light starts laughing.

At that moment the door behind me slams open and something hits me from behind.

PreviousChapters Next