• Published 24th Dec 2013
  • 6,968 Views, 308 Comments

As It Should Be - JackobolTrades



(Not a Dark Souls crossover, cover image coincidental.) A hero is sent to Equestria at Celestia's behest. What could possibly warrant the summoning of such a powerful warrior during times of peace, and why do these Ponies keep bothering him?

  • ...
33
 308
 6,968

Chapter 3: Trial and Error

Marwolaeth’s day was proving to be one of the most entertaining days he’d had in a very long time, and evidence seemed to point to it only getting better. His first clue was plastered on Twilight Sparkle’s face as she escorted him towards a raised dais: An indignant scowl. His second clue was the legion of ponies decked in fineries, obviously some form of high class, perhaps even nobility.

The third clue came in the form of a regal alicorn sitting on the dais wearing royal barding. Clearly this was Marwolaeth’s contact, Princess Celestia.

A nearby pony in a vest tooted a long bugle, and addressed the crowd of nobles.

“Approaching is the accused, Unknown of unknown origin, and his counsel, Sir Shield Line, captain of the guard, of Whinniesippie and his entourage, the Princess Twilight Sparkle and the esteemed Elements of Harmony of Ponyville.”

Celestia levitated a scroll from a stack next to her throne. “Approach.”

Marwolaeth and Shield Line stepped forward, their armour clashing against the polished marble floor. The vested pony stepped forward with a piece of paper and ink quill in his magical aura.

“For the records, sir. Name, species and occupation?”

“Marwolaeth Pydredd, Gwas Cytundeb, Amddiffynnydd.”

The pony scribbled something onto the paper before giving Marwolaeth a flat stare. “In Equuish, please. Princess Twilight Sparkle has informed us of your ability to understand and speak languages.”

“Marwolaeth Pydredd, Pact Servant, Protector. Would you like me to translate my name for you as well?”

“No need. If that is your name, it is what you shall be addressed by.”

“Address me as Pydredd, then.”

The pony quirked an eyebrow. “Very well, then.” He turned to Celestia. “The trial stands, your highness.”

Celestia nodded. “Very well, then. Mister Pydredd-”

“Just Pydredd, please.” Marwolaeth interrupted.

Celestia slowly raised her one visible eyebrow as the nobles held hushed conversations.

“Pydredd. Do you know why you are here?”

“I am in Equestria because my service has been lent to you, Celestia, to do with as you see fit, within reason. I am in this court because I slew a beast, a female manticore, if I recall.”

“Correct on both matters. As you have only recently arrived and are unique as a species here, you have been granted a counsellor to advise you on your options. It has come to my attention, however, that he was only fetched at the last moment. Counsellor, if you would recite the proper section of the Everfree Conservation Act of 647?”

“Yes, Your Highness.” Shield Line saluted. “Section three, paragraph nine, subsection two. ‘The manticore species is to be placed under gender protection. As the severely underpopulated gender, females are to be left unharmed and alive, sedated if required for relocation. Males are to be deterred with violence or noise. The distinction to be made is that male manticores grow a long, red mane while females do not.’ Section one, paragraph five, subsection one. ‘The circumstance under which this act may be called into effect is the murder of a protected creature, whether unprovoked or unnecessary. If a creature is considered crippled and hostile, it is to be put down in a mercy killing.’”

“Very good, captain. Pydredd, after hearing the terms of your transgression, how do you plead?”

Shield Line leaned towards Marwolaeth. “Plead innocent. From what I’ve heard, it was dying anyway.”

“Guilty, Celestia.”

The nobles raised their voices, babbling to each other about the creature’s blatant disrespect for the law and their ruler.

“Order.” Celestia commanded. The nobles quickly fell silent. “Under what notions do you plead guilty, Pydredd?”

“The killing was unnecessary. Further, I had engaged it in combat without prior reason to believe it to be hostile based solely on the derogatory comments of my charge Applejack, and assumed it to be a danger to the ponies that you have contracted me to protect.”

“Indeed. Applejack, approach.”

Applejack stepped forward, trembling slightly.

“What had you told Pydredd of the manticores?”

“W-well, your Hahness, Pydredd gave me the description of a manticore, an’ Ah called ‘em varmints, an’ he ran off towards town ‘fore I could warn ‘im.”

“Very well. Return to your place, Applejack. Pydredd, explain how acting in this manner was in line with my command of protecting my ponies.”

“Well, Celestia, in my experience the term ‘varmint’ can mean anything from harmless pests to dangers to settlements, and as a rule, I assume the latter. Further, six of my seven charges had been in town, and the seventh was by my side. By eliminating the perceived threat, I was ensuring the safety of your ponies.”

“While I admire the sentiment, the execution could have been better. Finally, you claim that this kill was unnecessary.”

“That I do. From what I could tell, the manticore was rabid. Slavering at the jaws, perceived paralysis, pacing, and self-mutilation. This enforced my decision to keep it from harming ponies. The reason I believe that the kill was unnecessary, however, was that the observed self-mutilation was the manticore tearing open its own sack of poison and swallowing it. It began convulsing and dying soon afterwards, and would have been dead moments after, if I had not ended its life earlier.”

Shield Line nudged Marwolaeth’s knee and hissed at him. “Are you trying to be convicted?”

“Yes.” Marwolaeth murmured back.

“…Very well.” Shield Line turned to Celestia. “Pydredd has submitted his plea and evidence supporting it. Your verdict, Your Highness?”

Celestia seemed to be considering, and Marwolaeth heard a sharp intake of breath from behind him.

“I have reached a conclusion. Marwolaeth Pydredd, I hereby find you-”

“Wait!” Twilight Sparkle shouted. Marwolaeth chuckled. “I object to the defendant’s testimony!”

The nobles erupted into a cacophony of noise. An interruption of the venerable Princess Celestia as she handed down a verdict? And by her own student? Unthinkable!

“Order.” At Celestia’s word, the nobles fell silent. “Princess Twilight Sparkle, approach.”

Doing so, Twilight began to address Celestia. “I motion for a thorough examination of the evidence. By Pydredd’s testimony, the conditions of his act were sufficient to negate the Act’s parameters, rendering the trial moot and Pydredd innocent.”

“Motion granted. Please explain how Pydredd’s testimony proves that he is innocent.”

“Gladly. By his own admission, he did not know that the female manticore is a protected creature, and he perceived it as a danger to society. He was not informed of his crime until the deed had been done.” Twilight had a slightly smug smile on her face. “Further, we have received no eyewitness accounts of the slaying of the manticore. We do not have due process until we receive an eyewitness testimony.”

Marwolaeth leaned down to Shield Line. “I was, actually, told by the guards who accosted me that what I had planned was illegal. Applejack was there with the guards, as was Fluttershy.”

“Objection, Your Highness.” Shield Line stomped his hoof. “We have had an eyewitness testimony from Applejack, as she was present on the scene of the crime. In addition, Pydredd had been accosted and informed of the illegality of killing the manticore before he had done so.”

Celestia frowned. “Is that so? Applejack, approach. Did you witness the act take place?”

“Ah- Ah did, Yer Hahness. Th’ guards’d told ‘im ta stop b’fore he-” Applejack gulped and shivered. “Killed th’ manticore.”

Twilight nudged Applejack. “Applejack, what are you doing?” She whispered.

“Ah- she asked! What d’you expect me t’ do?” Applejack hissed to Twilight out of the side of her mouth.

“I... I don’t know! Support him?”

“Um… T’ be fair, Yer Hahness, th’ guards only told ‘im t’ stop b’fore he killed th’ manticore.”

“I see. Return to your place, Applejack. This new information has given me pause.” Celestia furrowed her brow and put her hoof up to her chin. Twilight had a nervous grin plastered to her face while Marwolaeth and Shield Line stood stoic. “I have reached a verdict. Twilight, while your motions have cast Pydredd into a more sympathetic light…”

Twilight’s grin grew into a smug smirk.

“I cannot say, without a doubt, that Pydredd is innocent in this matter.”

Twilight’s face fell and her mouth gaped open.

“I find Marwolaeth Pydredd guilty of unnecessarily killing a female manticore under the Everfree Conservation Act of 647. I sentence him to three days of jail time, and will assign a guard to escort him at the time of his release. In addition, as I am unsure of his guilt, I shall demand of Marwolaeth Pydredd that he cannot kill any creature of this plane while he is under my command to ensure that this does not happen again. Dismissed.”

Marwolaeth’s hands curled into fists. “Question.”

“Ask.”

“Under what conditions would I be allowed to kill an opponent?”

“None. If combat is initiated, you are to incapacitate your opponent. You shall not take the life of any creature here.”

Marwolaeth ground his teeth together. “Very well. As you command.”

“Dismissed.”

Shield Line turned and led Marwolaeth from the courtroom as the Elements of Harmony huddled together to hold a whispered discussion. Shield Line turned to speak to Marwolaeth as he escorted the man into the dungeons.

“So the runner you sent said that you would be plying for the company of a guard. Historically, being found guilty of poaching is not the first option many would go to.”

Marwolaeth shrugged. “Perhaps, but it was the first opportunity that arose. After all, I didn’t kill the manticore to be placed under guard; I had not known that it was illegal. But, as the saying goes: Instead of marking one path to take, ensure that all paths lead to victory. I merely made do with my situation.”

“Hm. I suppose that you’ll work being jailed into a victory as well?”

“Aye. I’ll see how many guards I can convince about the jail remodels. Perhaps one of my guards will be the one assigned to me as well. Better to know him sooner than later.”

The pair stepped into the dungeons, Marwolaeth walking to a new cell and Shield Line sitting at the table near the entrance. Marwolaeth, to his delight, found that this new cell was left in the condition that he had left it in: Spartan and dark.

Shield Line looked at Marwolaeth. “So what do you plan on doing with my guard?”

“Send him to places that I cannot go. I may send him to live with Sparkle or Pie, seeing as how I must live with Jack, as her barn is the only building large enough to let me enter.”

Shield Line nodded. “Fair enough. I know that you haven’t seen too many guards, but if you had to choose, which would you prefer to have assigned?”

“Ideally? You. Captain of the guard pulls a lot of weight, with experience and training to compliment his demeanor. Realistically? The leader of the group that brought me in. He took charge and commanded with authority, and he already is stationed near my place of residence as it is.”

“Fair enough. You’ll be here for a few days, as today will count as your first day of incarceration. I can muster the candidates for your guardianship and introduce them all to you tomorrow.”

“Sounds good. Perhaps I’ll find a good candidate among them.”

“Perhaps.”

Another guard stallion trotted into the dungeons and took Shield Line’s place at the table.

“I must return to my duties. This is Lock. He’ll be your guard for today. His brother, Key will be replacing him for the night shift.”

Marwolaeth chuckled. “You have me under Lock and Key, eh?”

Shield Line and Lock both rolled their eyes. “Yes, because I’ve never heard that one before.” Lock murmured.

“Blame your parents.” Marwolaeth chuckled.

“I do.” Lock grumbled before turning his back. Shield Line sighed and walked out of the dungeons.

After Marwolaeth lounged on his cot for a few minutes, he sat up and went to the cell door. “Hey, Lock.”

“Mm?”

“If you’re so sensitive about your name, why not change it?”

“Change it? It’s my cutie mark, there’s not a lot that I can do about my name.”

“Cutie mark?”

“Ugh, that’s right, you’re not from around here. A cutie mark is a representation of a pony’s special talent that magically appears on their flank when they find out what it is. Pony parents are struck with a very narrow form of divination that suggests what their children’s talents will likely be. The majority of parents give their foals names according to that glimpse.”

“Bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy, isn’t it?”

“Sometimes. Key’s a good example of when it’s not. His full name’s Key Lime Pie.”

“Heh. So a cutie mark is like a magical tattoo that is a physical representation of a talent, mm? What’s yours look like?”

Lock lifted the barding over his flank, showing off his cutie mark. It was a standard keyhole shape.

“So that’s what those are.”

“Yeah. Anyway, as you can see, it is obviously a lock. And before you ask, no I won’t change my name to Keyhole. My brother’s already named Key; we don’t need to be mixed up even more than we already are.”

“Twins?”

“Yeah.”

“Hm. Can’t help you there.”

“Guess not.”

The pair sat in silence for a few minutes.

“Lock?”

“Yes?”

“Are you and your brother related to a Pinkamena Diane Pie?”

“…No. Why do you ask?”

“Your brother has the same last name as her.”

“Ah, you’re getting the naming conventions wrong.”

“Mm. Explain.”

Lock sighed and leaned into his chair. “Alright, well, there’s this whole history behind the different pony tribe’s names that I can’t recall, but it boils down to something like this: Earth ponies have clan names, like the Pies and Apples, Pegasi have familial theme naming, so two brothers might be Thunder and Lightning or Squall and Gust, and Unicorns have an addendum name that belongs to their family. Like the Sparkles, there’s Twilight Sparkle and Star Sparkle and Twilight Velvet Sparkle.”

“I see. What’s your family name, then?”

“Door.”

“Lock Door and Key Door, eh?”

“Yeah, that’s us.”

“What’re your parents’ names?”

Lock shifted to look at Marwolaeth. “Why do you care?”

Marwolaeth shrugged. “Always good to have friends in high places. Questions about family tend to foster trust, I find.”

Lock sighed. “Fair enough. My mother’s name is Bar, she makes house structures, and my father is More. He collects objects.”

“Does any of your family have a middle name to make the name roll better?”

“Some. My mother and I do: ‘The.’ Lock The Door and Bar The Door. My father doesn’t, though, and neither does my brother. More The Door and Key The Door sound odd. Key Lime Pie The Door even more so.”

“I see.”

Marwolaeth and Lock continue to make small talk as the day wore on, and Marwolaeth repeated the process with Key.

The next day found Shield Line pacing in front of a line of five unarmoured ponies that were standing in a line inside the dungeons.

“These are the mares and stallions that are easy enough to fill in for or replace that they can be assigned to be your guard, Pydredd.”

“Excellent. If you could get the door?”

“Why?”

“Because I’d rather not break down another one.”

Shield Line sighed. “Very well.” He slid the deadbolt from the door and opened it.

Marwolaeth stepped out of his cell and a few of the standing ponies drew a sharp breath. Shield Line himself took a deep breath before yelling at the assembled ponies.

“Ten hut! Present yourselves, fillies!”

The mare on the far left stepped forward, followed by the stallion next to her, and so on.

“Barrel, sir! Demolitions expert, sir!”

“Uncharted, sir! Preliminary Scouting and terrain inspection, sir!”

“Mess Hall, sir! Grub cooking and serving, sir!”

“Camouflage, sir! Stealth and sabotage, sir!

“Gearbox, sir! Communications and mechanics, sir!”

“At ease.”

Marwolaeth walked down the line twice before coming to a rest before Mess Hall, who held his gaze level.

“I remember you.”

“Yes, sir. I made you eat your food, sir.”

Marwolaeth smirked and chuckled. “Don’t call me sir. I am not your superior.”

“With all due respect, sir, you are intimidating enough to warrant the title of ‘sir,’ sir.”

“Hmph.”

Marwolaeth walked to the mare at the end. “Barrel, what is your opinion of my redecoration?”

“All due respect, I wouldn’t want my worst enemy to live there.”

“I am to assume that you would also object to my proposed inmate diet?”

“Mess Hall informed Lock, Key, Stock, Gearbox and I of your suggestion. Wouldn’t feed it to a dog.”

“No indeed.”

Marwolaeth stalked to Gearbox.

“Communications and mechanics, mm?”

“Yes, sir. If it contains moving parts, I can fix it.”

“Indeed? Have you seen some of my weaponry?”

“I assume that you are referring to your collapsible, automated clip loading crossbow with three settings, sir?”

“Aye.”

“Give me three hours and a wrench and I can take it apart, clean it, and put it back together again, sir.”

“Impressive.”

“I try my best, sir.”

Marwolaeth stifled a chuckle as he passed Camouflage for the fifth time, stopping in front of Uncharted.

“So, I’m to understand that your talent lies in reconnaissance?”

“No, sir.”

“No? Your description earlier sounded suspiciously like reconnaissance.”

“Sir, reconnaissance surveys a situation for information relay. I only map the lay of the land, sir.”

“Mm.”

Marwolaeth walked back to his cell. “That will be all. Thank you, Shield Line.”

“Dismissed.” The five ponies shuffled out of the dungeons, Camouflage looking far dourer than the others. “Thoughts?”

“I like that Mess Hall fellow. He seems interesting. And Gearbox impressed me. Barrel was… less open to change than I would prefer, and Uncharted’s skills seem of little use to me.”

“And Camouflage?”

“Who?”

“Middle of the line. Stealth expert?”

“Huh. Didn’t even notice her.”

A faint sound could be heard in the dungeon from the hall outside. It almost seemed like a scream of frustration.

“Tell her to keep up the good work.”

Shield Line chuckled. “She has that problem frequently. I’ll have Gearbox, Mess Hall and Camouflage guard you for the remainder of your stay in the dungeons.”

“Sure thing.”

Another sound could be heard approaching the dungeons, the sound of galloping hooves. A disheveled mare burst into the dungeon with bags under her eyes.

“Am I late? Is it over?”

“Ah, late as usual, Foreign Tongue. Pydredd, this is our international relations translator, Foreign Tongue. Foreign Tongue, the prisoner, Marwolaeth Pydredd.”

“Ah, yes. You prefer Pydredd, right?”

“That is correct.”

“Right. Ooh, we have so much to learn from one another!”

“Do we?”

“Oh yes, I can teach you about our customs and the cultures of our neighbors, and you can teach me about your people!”

“No.”

“Wonderful, I have a pencil right- No?”

“No.”

“But… But Princess Twilight Sparkle had told me of the prerequisites of being taught extraplanar culture, and I meet them all!”

“I have no desire to spread the knowledge of my people.”

“But… But why not?”

“Reasons that do not concern you.”

“Well- Well what if I buy the knowledge from you?”

“With?”

“Bits, of course.”

“What need have I of bits? I will complete my contract here soon, and then your bits will be absolutely worthless to me, and while I am here, everything that I need is provided for.”

“Well, what about trade?”

“Again, what need have I for anything that you have?”

“I- I… I’ll think of something!”

“You do that. Run along now.”

Foreign Tongue huffed and trotted out of the dungeons muttering to herself.

Shield Line turned to Marwolaeth as he settled onto his wooden cot. “You know that she won’t stop pestering you until you teach her, right?”

“Nothing I can’t handle.”

“Such a thing has been said before, but she can make even the secretive caribou spill their secrets. Rumour has it that she’s a bit of a xenophile.”

“Hmph. Let her try. Collectors better than her have tried before and met with the same result.”

“If you say so.”

Soon after Foreign Tongues departure, Camouflage arrived in her guard armour to replace Shield Line. Marwolaeth quickly forgot that she was in the room, and occasionally would turn to object to the lack of guard, until he caught sight of Camouflage again, and turned back to his cell.

That night, Mess Hall was assigned to guard Marwolaeth. He jumped when Camouflage hailed him as she passed, having missed her as well.

“Hey Pydredd.”

“Hello Mess Hall.”

“I just, um… About yesterday. I feel kinda bad about yelling at you like that.”

Marwolaeth chuckled. “Don’t. You did as a prison guard should, putting the inmates in their place. You should spread that sentiment to the rest of these guards.”

Mess Hall snorted. “Yeah, but we’d never use it. I don’t know I you’ve been told, but nopony’s been interred in the dungeons in years. Even if I did spread your prison reforms, they’d die out with us as we wouldn’t get to practice them.”

“Mm. Still would be nice to know that the option is open.”

“Yeah, I guess.”

“I have a personal question.”

“Mm?”

“Your name, Mess Hall. Did your parents name you that, or did you choose it on your own?”

“Ah, I chose it when I joined the guard. Used to be called Serving Spoon, part of the illustrious Spoon clan. Didn’t feel like Serving Spoon really meshed with the guard’s image, though, so I changed it to Mess Hall.”

“Hm. Interesting. So your family is the Spoon clan?”

Mess Hall snorted and adopted a snooty accent. “Oh yes, the illustrious Spoon clan is almost as widespread as the Apple clan. If there is a prosperous town, chances are that there is a Spoon there to partake in the businesses there.” He dropped the accent, chuckling. “Me, I’m from Ponyville. My dad’s Soup Spoon and he runs a few charity organizations, and my mom’s Silver Tongue. She’s a politician in Canterlot. I have a sister, too. She lives down in Ponyville with my dad. Her name’s Silver Spoon.”

“Got anyone in your family named Tea Spoon?”

Mess Hall chuckled again. “Yeah. That’s my great grandmother, who opened the silverware shop chain Tea Spoon’s Tea Spoons and Other Eating Utensils.”

“Interesting.”

Marwolaeth and Mess Hall continued to discuss the guard and its food and other related topics until Gearbox arrived to relieve Mess Hall. Gearbox was looking extremely proud of himself as he sauntered up to Marwolaeth’s cell.

“Pydredd, guess what?”

“You managed to take apart, clean, and reassemble my automatic crossbow in less than three hours.”

“I- Well, yeah. How’d you know?”

“I recalled the boast that you had made yesterday, and observed your self-sure demeanor, and inferred that you had exceeded your own expectations.”

“Wow. Man, you’re good.”

“I’ve had practice.”

“So, yeah, that crossbow of yours is ingenious! That spring system for loading the bolts into place is so simple; I started wondering why Equestria hadn’t thought of it yet! And then I realized that it was because we haven’t had cause or need for an improved crossbow in decades, so it’s stayed relatively the same.”

“Interesting. Did you test-fire it after reassembly?”

“Well, no. My hooves won’t fit into the trigger guard.”

“Ah, good point.”

“So where’d you get something like that?”

“Well, I acquired one designed to shoot wooden stakes from an odd fellow a long time ago in a land plagued by vampires. A few simple modifications allowed it to fire regular bolts as well.”

“Wow. That sounds fascinating! Can you tell me about it?”

“No.”

Gearbox pouted. “Aw. Guess I should have expected that one. Everypony heard Princess Twilight Sparkle and Foreign Tongue complaining about your lack of cooperation with their studies. Rumour has it that they’ve begun plotting to weasel the information out of you. I’d be on my guard, if I were you.”

“They’re welcome to try. It’s very unlikely that they’d try anything that I haven’t seen before.”

“If what they said about how long you’ve been alive is true, I believe you.”

“Hm. Say, Gearbox. You’re a unicorn. Lock explained the Unicorn naming traditions, and I wondered if your family name was Box.”

“That’s right. You certainly catch on quick. Yeah, my name’s supposed to be Gear Box, but that pause in the middle makes it sound… I dunno, dissociative. So I say Gearbox.”

“Interesting. Family?”

“Yeah, I have my dad Tackle Box. He fishes for a hobby, but he’s a pro hoofball player. Then there’s my mom Music Box. She makes those music box contraptions from scratch. It’s where I got my affinity for mechanics from, they say.”

“Only child?”

“Yeah, unfortunately. Always wanted a little sister like Mess Hall has.”

“Marry someone with a little sister. It’ll be like having your own.”

“Eh, too little too late. I’m not going to base my entire relationship endeavors around if she’s got a little sister.”

“Good point. So what do you do in the guard?”

Marwolaeth and Gearbox spent the rest of the day comparing blueprints for odd machines and contraptions, explaining their uses and materials until morning.

As the sun rose, Gearbox stifled a yawn. “Wow, and I’d been told that you’d keep quiet by Camouflage. And here we are, staying up all night talking.”

“Indeed, you’ve done rather well. Only Shield Line has been as attentive as you.”

“Heh. Say, I don’t think Camouflage ever mentioned that you slept. How long has it been since you got some shuteye?”

“Mm, going on two days now, I think. Yes, I caught a few hours of rest just before my trial.”

“Man, aren’t you tired?”

“No. I’ve been doing nothing but sit and talk. Nothing to sap my energy. Give me a good day’s work, I might sleep that night. I’ve got enough reserve energy to go two, maybe three days without sleep normally. If I do absolutely nothing, I can go an entire week.”

“Jeeze. You would make a killer watchpony.”

Marwolaeth smirked. “That I do.”

Shield Line trotted into the dungeons. “Alright Pydredd, your sentence is up. You’ll be escorted to the train station by the Elements of Harmony, where you’ll meet up with your assigned guard. I’ve been told to remind you of the no killing command issued by Princess Celestia, and to pass on her hopes that she doesn’t see you in jail again.”

“I appreciate the sentiment. Gearbox, you should probably go get some sleep.”

“Yahuh. Requesting permission for leave, sir.”

“Permission granted. Go get some rest, you’ll need it.”

As Gearbox exited the dungeons, Marwolaeth turned to Shield Line.

“I’ve been assigned Gearbox, haven’t I?”

“Mm. How’d you know?”

“I’m not due for release for a few hours yet, and you told Gearbox to get as much rest as he could, because he’ll need it. Either he’ll be back on the patrols as soon as his shift rolls around, or he’ll need to meet me at the train station.”

“Heh. You’re too good at this, Pydredd. I might miss you when you leave.”

“The feeling is mutual.”

Shield Line stuck his hoof into Marwolaeth’s hand and shook it firmly before opening a door into a side chamber where Twilight Sparkle and her friends were.

“Pydredd!” Twilight roared. “You broke your own code!”

“Did I?”

“You told Shield Line about your people even though he probably isn’t as close to meeting your prerequisites as I am!”

“Ah, you seem to have a misconception here. Shield Line, what did I swap stories with you about?”

“Ah… Creatures you’ve slain and the journeys to find them, I believe.”

“Correct. Hardly a discussion on my people, is it?”

“I- It’s more than you’ll tell me, though!”

Marwolaeth and Shield Line snorted in unison. “Do you really want me to tell you how I tore the still-beating heart from an afanc?”

“Well… No. But still, it’s the principle of the thing! You’ll talk to Captain Shield Line about your travels, but you won’t talk to me?”

“Sounds about right.”

“I- But-” Twilight made a frustrated screeching noise. “You’re impossible!”

“So I’ve been told. Now, I’d like to give my assigned guard as much time to prepare as possible, and I do not know this city. Can you all show me around?”

“I… Fine, but this isn’t over!”

“You might think so. Now, show me the sights, if you would. Shield Line, it’s been an honour meeting you.”

“Likewise. Good luck.”

“Be safe, be healthy.”

As Marwolaeth and his charges left the room, Marwolaeth could hear Foreign Tongue begin questioning Shield Line on all that Marwolaeth had told him. He smirked. Marwolaeth had not told Shield Line about the circumstances behind his battles, only of the creatures and how he fought them. She would glean little of Marwolaeth’s culture from Shield Line.

As the Elements of Harmony led Marwolaeth on a tour of Canterlot, he could hear the gossip being passed around as he walked. All of it concerned his lack of decorum and respect for the princess, and how he ate meat.

Such scandal over being a primarily carnivorous creature. At least they weren’t running him out of town.

Finally, after two or three hours of wandering, Marwolaeth and his charges arrived at the Canterlot train station where Gearbox was waiting for them looking slightly tired toting a large crate. He waved at Marwolaeth.

“Pydredd! Over here! We’ve stockpiled all of your weapons so far, and you’re allowed to have them back now that your prison sentence is over.”

“Very good. How long until the train arrives?”

“Anywhere between five minutes and half an hour from now.”

“Perfect.”

Marwolaeth began strapping his extensive amount of weaponry onto his armour, and had clasped the last sheath into place when the train pulled into the station forty five minutes later.

Everypony and Marwolaeth filed onto the train car and sat down, Marwolaeth feeling much more secure with the reassuring weight of his arsenal attached to his armour.

Applejack scooted over to Marwolaeth’s side.

“Well, we’re finally on our way back t’ Ponyville. Maybe this time we’ll actually git ta’ settle ye’ in.”

Marwolaeth chuckled. “Yep. Home sweet home for however long Celestia needs me. Who knows how long that’ll be?”