• Published 24th Dec 2013
  • 6,966 Views, 308 Comments

As It Should Be - JackobolTrades



(Not a Dark Souls crossover, cover image coincidental.) A hero is sent to Equestria at Celestia's behest. What could possibly warrant the summoning of such a powerful warrior during times of peace, and why do these Ponies keep bothering him?

  • ...
33
 308
 6,966

Interlude 1: When the Man is Away, Discord will Play, or: As She Wants It To Be

"Ah... Ah cain't trayne with y'alls anymore, Pyd'ed" Applejack exclaimed in her horribly butchered accent.

Marmalade raised one of his eyebrows, unseen through his helmet. "And why not?" He asked.

Applejack doffed her cowpony hat and pressed it to her barrel. "Ah... Whenevah y'all get neah me, Ah get these... urges. Ah just cain't help mahself!" The orange pony sniffled.

Marvalegait crossed his arms, preparing to spew another piece of obvious wisdom. "That is okay." The shining knight said. "Just let the urges out, Jack. Let them guide you. Instinct is the basest of all intelligence after all." He nodded.

Applejack nodded once before she jumped up and mashed her mouth against Marvlemate's faceplate. After a few seconds of feeling no reception from the cold and unfeeling metal, the lithe apple bucker backed off, looking sheepish.

"A-Ah'm sahrry, Ah ovarstepped mah place. Ah'll jus' go an' exahle mahself from y'alls." Applejack turned to leave, hot tears sliding deliciously down her face.

"Wait, Jack." Mamalamadingdong put a hand on Applejack's finely toned flank. "Do not jump to conclusions. After all..." Marwolaeth's face took on his lecturing pose underneath his helmet. "The cold metal of my armor cannot kiss you back like I would like to."

Applejack's lime green eyes lit up in ecstasy as Marwololo removed his helmet and leaned down to embrace her lips, one hand resting lightly on the curve of the Apple mare's jaw. After a few seconds, they pulled apart, breathing heavily. The pony's inexperienced eyes travelled downwards as she heard a sharp ping noise originating from-

"What're you writing?" Fluttershy asked, trotting up to the typewriter.

I slammed the typewriter shut like a book, hiding my work from Fluttershy, my first true friend. "Oh, ah, nothing, dearest Fluttershy. Merely some light musings."

"Ooh, that sounds interesting." Fluttershy cooed. "I've always wanted to know what you might be thinking. Do you mind if I take a peek?"

"Erm, well, I don't think-" Fluttershy was using the doe eyes on me. I took a look into those shining, hopeful orbs of kindness and sighed. "Oh, fine." Fluttershy doesn't play fair.

Then again, neither do I.

"Yay!" Fluttershy cheered softly as I snapped my griffon talons and willed the first pages of my own idle wanderings down the path of what the spa sisters called 'shipping' into the room from where they had been stored.

"Here. It's a bit of a rough draft, but it should be readable." I sighed.

"Oh, I'm sure you did a wonderful job." Fluttershy laid herself down in my lap and flipped over the first couple of pages in the manuscript, conveniently to the part that I had the most wonderful time writing.

I gulped, for I knew retribution was about to be wrought upon me.

The butter yellow mare's pink hair cascaded across the bed, her chest rising and falling quickly with her panting. She tried to keep her excitement at bay, but it was an uphill climb.

Marvalaus gave Fluttershy a gentle stroke of the inner thigh, and she moaned an nigh imperceptibly high squeal of pleasure.

"Just... be gentle, if you don't mind. I- It's my f-first t-time..." Fluttershy stuttered, quivering in anticipation.

Marvoloriddle nodded his head and positioned himself in between Fluttershy's thighs, aligning his-

I snatched the transcript from Fluttershy's hooves. "Ah ha ha, yes, I think that that's enough of that!" I laughed nervously.

"Oh- Oh my." Fluttershy purred, a blush adorning her muzzle and her wings extended across my knees.

"Yes. Um. Well." I cleared my throat.

"I... Um... What was-"

"Just-" I interrupted. "Just a bit of speculative fiction. Fantasy, you know, ridiculous musings... Eh he..." I rubbed behind my goat horn with my lion paw.

"Well, um, maybe it's not so ridiculous..." Fluttershy twirled a hoof on my knobby deer knee.

"Ahem, what? I think I misheard you." I shoved my claw into one ear and withdrew a small mouse. "It almost sounded like you... Eh... Liked it?"

"Oh, well, it certainly wasn't what I had, um, expected." Fluttershy swiveled around onto her back so that she could look me in the face. "But it certainly wasn't... bad."

"I- Really?" I grinned nervously, my one fang pulling at my lips.

"Um, it's just... I am a little bit curious as to how we... got there. And, um... Where it goes from there?" Fluttershy tucked her forehooves to her chest and blushed lightly.

"Well, um. I suppose that I could use and editor..."

"Ooh, I can do that!" Fluttershy exclaimed.

"Well, alright. But you have to Pinkie Promise to not tell anypony, anygriff, anytaur, anycat, anydog, or anycritter else about this!"

Fluttershy did the appropriate gestures and intonations. "Author-Editor confidentiality."

"Oh, thank you, dearest Fluttershy!" I squeezed Fluttershy in the strongest hug that I could muster that wouldn't damage my little friend.

"Now, why don't I go through the rest of this while you write more?" Fluttershy asked, grabbing the rough draft from my claw.

Author's Note:

Forgive me, Bragi, for I have been the tool of Loki.

It's midnight, I'm tired as a dog, I've burnt my brain out on gearing up for a theatre production, and I've got the writing itch, but As It Should Be's next chapter just isn't coming on. Thus, in my addled state of mind, I figured that I might as well cash in my promise to turn this story into a romcom; albeit during interludes when I can't think of anything else to write.

For those of you worrying that this'll bump As It Should Be back into the mature rating, fret not. I'll try to keep things as PG as is possible when you have a mad god of chaos writing fanfiction about his friends and their bodyguard.