• Published 27th Mar 2012
  • 1,286 Views, 199 Comments

Blank - GameMakingOtaku



Inn has lived longer than she should have. Why? How? Who could of done this? How will she react?

  • ...
3
 199
 1,286

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 23: Coat

Chapter 23

Coat

It's now a week sense Inn won the race with Rainbow and a few days after Inn’s much awaited victory, night eerily lingered on a days. Inn has repeated the idea of practicing over friends. Seeing the lingering night though, she checks up on Inn inn, to see how the many confused and scared travelers are doing. She could not help but think this was all her fault somehow, that somehow Luna turned into Nightmare Moon.

On Inn's travel around thee forest's tree tops, she got an idea. With the night lasting for so long, it was cold outside, and getting colder. Inn thought that she could use a coat. With that thought, Inn makes a dive.

=============

Three knocks at a door. Slowly, the door is cracked open and Rarity looks around cautiously. Seeing nothing there, Rarity opens the door some more, giving the knocks and the outside a more typical response. She looks down, and sees hoof prints. The tracks seem to only lead from the boutique, to glowed white and purple, and had Rarity's cutie mark embedded on every hoof print, which was glowing purple.

“What is this?” Rarity asked nopony in particular.

“Follow,” answered a voice, that seemed to have no origin, or a singular voice, making an echoing sound as it spoke.

Hesitantly, Rarity obeyed the voice. She looked around trying to see if she could find the source of the voice and hoof prints, but finding nothing. Eventually, Rarity was in the Everfree Forest, and she was now scared about what would happen. With the trail ending, Rarity looks for her guide, but finds something else instead. A massive manticore was in a ready position, teeth showing, and eyes wide open.

Rarity gave a loud scream as she moved her face away from its face. The manticore did not move though, instead there was laughter. This chuckle was coming from Rarity's side, not the motionless manticore. Rarity looks to see what was laughing at a time like this.

“Oh~, that's too... too g-great!” laughed Inn. She was laughing so hard she fell over on her side.

“Oh my dear Inn, this is no time for laughing! There is a...” she turns to look at the manticore, “there's a... a... Why is he not moving?”

Inn tried to calm down. “Th-that's why I brought you h-here. I'm l-looking for a c-coat. Can y-you make one from his f-fur?” Inn was still laughing a little. Rarity looked at the manticore in horror, and back at Inn, seeing that she was not joking. Inn stopped laughing, and whimpered, “If y-you c-can't handle sk-skining.. then I-I'll do it f-for you, n-no problem.”

Rarity still looked shocked. “Oh darling, that's not what I'm mortified by. Did you kill an innocent creature for clothing? Why didn't you just come to me sooner?”

Inn curled up, and began to cry. “Oh n-no, I'm d-doing it a-again!”

Rarity rushed to Inn's side and she rubbed Inn's back to make her relax. “It's okay. I understand that you lived in the forest for some time now.” Inn seemed to cry a little louder despite Rarity’s attempt to the contrary. “Hush now. Calm down.” She lifts Inn’s head up to have them both looking at each other. “If you want me to make you a coat,” she looks to the motionless beast, and grimaces, “from... that... then I will. Just don't make it a habit, okay?” Rarity finished, trying to give her best hopeful smile.

=============

Later that day, Inn was still crying. Just, she had calmed down some after having time alone. Nothing Rarity said would make Inn feel at ease. Inn was getting ready for the skinning of the manticore. She had, after all, not wanted his death to go in vain. He was killed so that Inn could have a coat, and she could, so she will not waste the death.

Inn had done this so often, and had gotten so good at magic, that she did not even need to think about what to do. She just created seems along the legs and the belly. With one quick movement, the hide was all perfectly removed from the body. So well done that there is no further preparation other than drying.

But, for Inn, there was more to do. She had read that dead bodies produce nutrients for the ground and plants. So she normally takes the various body parts to many other location that may need it. Inn continues to magically hold the carcass high in the air, as her magic rips of one part like it was just sliced by the sharpest sword in the world.

When Inn was done with spreading out all hundred plus parts and organs, she found herself more than splattered in blood. She looks for a stream of water to wash up in, finding a small river next to a waterfall. She slowly walks into the flowing water. Inn looks on with a frown at the red dye that flows of her and into the water's current.

She continues on into the water, it reaching neck level when she stops. She takes a few deep breaths. She took a long exhale and put her head under the water. She stays under for several seconds, letting the blood flow off her head. She continues to stay under when she starts to feel a little compression in her chest. She tries to wade deeper.

As she had just gotten her hoof locked with a misplaced tree root, her thoughts went to Fluttershy. She would be sad about Inn's death. Last time, it was Fluttershy who pulled Inn out of suicidal behavior. Inn opens her eyes, frees her hoof, swims to where she can stand once more, and raises her head above the water. She coughs up some water, and gasps for air. “No!” she said to herself. Inn watched the shining dark red stain of death continue its staining of the water for a few more seconds. She went from having a sad depressed face, to one with an almost evil smile. A large twisted smile, that would give any pony that had seen it nightmares for years.

“No... I still have something to do...” said Inn, almost like she was holding back a laugh.

=============

On Inn's way back to the tree holding the fur, she saw a familiar face. She sneaked up behind the caped pony and grabbed her hat. Inn danced around with the starry hat on her head.

“Who dares to take Trixie's hat?” said Trixie.

Inn gets into Trixies pose, “I, Inn Cog Neato, The Great Unknown!” she said with Trixie's speech pattern, but Luna's voice.

“Wait, are you a fan of The Great And Powerful Trixie?” asked Trixie, still as arrogantly boastful as always.

“Yes, in a way. I'm a fan in how I keep beating you.” Inn got back to all four hooves, and look more serious.

The Greatly and Easily Offended Trixie looked so very offended. “Just what do you mean you've beaten Trixie?”

“Oh did you forget? Well are you up for another round? I sure am.”

“Trixie will challenge any pony! The Great And Powerful Trixie does not require you to lie about having had won a challenge before. Let us see what you can do!”

Inn made a horn grow from her head slowly, which made The Scared And Regretful Trixie back up. When the horn was at full size, it started to glow, along with Inn and then Trixie. Both went shooting off into the sky, Trixie went straight into the sky while Inn orbited her. Trixie was scared as buck right now.

As Inn made an obtuse turn along the direction Trixie's back was facing, Inn changes her flying pattern, her ‘orbit,’ so that it isn’t as simple as before. Trixie was too preoccupied to notice that they were going down, and not up. Now Inn is popping in and out of the corners of Trixie’s vision, going from one corner to the opposite; such as top left to lower right.

Inn was going faster and faster, to a point it was hard for Trixie to follow Inn's movements at all. As they approach the tree line, the two split up into opposite directions and Inn still had some speed and acrobatics as she broke off.

Trixie started to spin widely, as if there was something she was spinning around. Inn's patterns were much more complex this time around. She was darting up and down above and below and around Trixie, in an exaggerated oval shape. As she was doing this, she was twirling around and flying backwards, as if there was a fine pole marking a path around Trixie, and Inn had to not touch it. On about the fourth or fifth pass by, Trixie noticed the set of wings on Inn's back.

After they had gotten to the clouds, They both started to go back down in a spiral, that grew and shrank, repeatedly. Trixie was stunned as she saw Inn with a blue coat, then a lighter blue mane and tail, then a crescent moon and magic wound cutie mark.

The entire light show could be seen in the far off distance. One particular observer was in fact watching from far away, where she had sat on the rooftop of a bakery watching the night sky. Her pink curls were standing on end at the fantastic sight.

Seconds after an alicorn Trixie was formed, they touched down. Safety, was all Trixie could think as she sat there shaking.

“So... can you top that my dear little Trixie? I think it was simple enough, but it is for you to decide not me,” said Inn, looking very prideful.

Trixie tried to stand, but her legs were too wobbly and she was too dizzy to do more than sit. Watching her wobble, it was clear that even that was hard for her to do at the moment. “You, you're a monster!”

“Ohh, deja vu! Didn’t one of us say that last time?” Inn takes of the hat and gives it back to Trixie. “Nice to see you again oh Frightened And Weak Trixie. Hope you get better, it will make things fun next time.”

With that, Inn skipped off leaving Trixie shakin and dizzy in Inn's victory.

=============

Inn went to the inn first, where there was only a few customers in at the moment. Inn help them with their various needs, and thought of anything else she needed to do. Coming to a conclusion that there was nothing, she grabbed the large thing of fur and bounced to Rarity's shop. After making her way to Rarity's boutique, Inn knocks gently. The door cracks open. After Rarity peaks out, and sees Inn, the door swings open.

Rarity’s face lit up, she didn’t inspect Inn to be back so soon. “Oh, Inn darling, it's you. What brings you by again so soon?”

“I-I have the f-f-fur ready.” Inn wasn’t shaking as much as normal, possibly only shaking because of the cold air. She stuttered, but her voice carried varied levels of happiness so rapidly and naturally. Most noticeable of all, was Inn’s smile. It seemed as if it was a nice day that didn’t have anything go wrong. She seemed, almost at peace.

Rarity was confused by how Inn was acting now. It was only a few hours ago that Inn was crying. “Oh, that was fast. There's not a drop of blood on your fabulous white coat ether! Oh dear, you are good at that aren't you?” Rarity’s voice had a hint of concern in it.

“Yeah, w-well I have m-made two huts... doing this before,” said Inn blushing.

“I see you are feeling better. Come in, come in. It's too cold outside to just stand around.” Rarity ushered in Inn.

“Well, ah, do you h-have any ideas?”

Rarity looked at the large thing of fur taking up her entire floor. “I think I might. Keep in mind though, this is my first time.. ah, using animal skins. If it isn't fantastic, I do apologize in advance.” Rarity looks back at the fur, and grimaces once again.

“I understand. I chose this f-fur because it is so w-warm. At a t-time like now, that's a g-good thing.” Inn continues her posture even now.

“Oh, ah... I see. Well then, let me get to work with this... coat.” She shivers after finishing that sentence.

“When do you t-think it will b-be done by?”

“It may be a week do to my schedule,” started Rarity, giving an answer quickly so that she could move on to a question of her own, “darling, if it wouldn’t be so rude of me to ask, is there something that you would like to talk about? You seem to be acting a bit peculiarly.”

Inn's posture breaks down a little. “No. I-I'm just fine. A-as I was g-getting the fur r-ready and my-myself cleaned u-up... I r-realized I-I was o-overreacting a l-little bit,” lied Inn.

Rarity did not trust that this was true, but it was clear that Inn did not want to talk about it. “Okay... Just remember, you always have six good friends to count on, if anything is hard or troubling.”

PreviousChapters Next