• Published 27th Mar 2012
  • 1,286 Views, 199 Comments

Blank - GameMakingOtaku



Inn has lived longer than she should have. Why? How? Who could of done this? How will she react?

  • ...
3
 199
 1,286

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 12: Lines of Tex

Chapter 12
Lines of Tex

Inn woke up to yet another new day. This morning, she felt happy as she got to her hooves. Inn had found some nice ponies and had lots of fun over the last three days. The possibility of having friends was what excited her the most. After her tea, she left to fulfill her duties to the doctor.

Inn flew for a few hours, looking for ponies to spy on, instead, she found a large open clearing. A small gap in the clouds allowed little glimmers of light fall on the trees that circled the clearing, causing them to cast wonderful shadows onto the grass. In laid down in the center of the clearing to enjoy the atmosphere and watch the shadows of the trees as they shifted in the breeze.

After a short while Inn saw an out of place shadow moving between the trees. It was solid, and not moving very fast, so Inn started to make her way toward the... thing. She did not know what to expect, so just in case, she turned into a manticore as she got closer to whatever it was.

When Inn got close enough to see the thing's back, she saw that it was covered in familiar black metal armor. It turned suddenly to attack, and in jumped back to avoid it. “Agh! Wait... Tex?” Inn changed back to her normal form. “You are Tex, right?”

Tex took a step back. “How do you know my name, and how did you change like that?” her voice was mellow, but her words had a hard edge.

“I'm a spy for Doctor Specter like you. He told me he had finished making you some time ago. I've been dying to meet you.”

“You work for him?”

“Yes, he's a nice old stallion, and he's helped me a lot over the years. There are... a few odd things about him, but it's the same for me, so I can't judge him for it.”

“You trust him?” Tex asked, walking a little closer.

“Yes I do, w-why?”

“Are you a creation of his or something?” Some anger was beginning to creep into her tone...

“Ah, yeah sure,” Inn answered, not sure how to answer the question.

Tex started to circle Inn, “Oh, so is that why you ignore his flaws? He made you as dumb as a rock. You're his faithful servant or something, and you don't give a buck about anything, do you? The only thing you can do is what he says, or lay under a rock and die. Am I right?”

Inn thought about these words, coming from somepony she had wished to see for so long cut deep and rang somewhat true. She had done things on her own, but most of what she had done and was still doing now was for Moonstone. If it wasn't for the doctor, she would be dead now.

“I-I-I ah-” Inn started, but she was losing focus, and Tex saw the fear.

“Face it, all you will ever do is work for that horrid doctor and that's it, because that's all you're good for.”

=============

Inn was laying down with her back to a cliff side somewhere in the woods. A few tears slowly ran down Inn's face as she thought.

It seemed as if nothing could distract her from her thoughts, She was wondering where her life was heading. She did not mind living in the forest, but working for somepony she rarely sees, and having this run her normal everyday activity wasn't her idea of a nice peaceful life.

Inn became aware of muted shouting from beyond the trees, but she ignored it. Her thoughts turned to the time she had lost control because of the sudden appearance of the sun. If she could lose such a simple form merely by being distracted, then has she really mastered her talent? Was there really no way that she could have saved herself? If so then why...

“Oh dear, Angel where are you?”

The muted shouting finally got to her. Why was this 'Angel' missing? Who was calling out? Inn did not have to wait long to see who it was, as a yellow and pink pony came out from behind the trees looking frantic.

The pony looked at Inn and winced, making a squeaking sound as she did. She quickly snapped back into position, “Oh, dear. I'm sorry. I didn't mean too... anyway, I'm looking for a white bunny named Angel. Have you seen him?” The pegasus, keeping her head low much the same way Inn does, walked toward the white pony.

“N-no.”

“Oh, well, ah, thanks for your help.” The mare began to leave, but then looked around at her surroundings. The ponies where both in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the Everfree forest. “Why are you laying down here? Aren't you afraid of the monsters?”

“N-n-no I'm not. I think I-I've killed one of each, and I o-only had a h-hard time with the dragon. E-e-even that went pretty f-fast. Now I'm just here th-thinking,” answered Inn with her head lowered.

The Yellow Pegasus looked at Inn in complete horror for a long moment before she finally spoke. “Ahh, so, um, why are you thinking right here and, ah, not at your home or someplace safer?” the yellow pegasus took a tentative step closer.

“W-w-while I think, I'm waiting f-for that boulder up there to fall d-down this way,” she replied, pointing with her head, revealing her suicidal intentions.

The pegasus's eyes widened. She raced to the earth pony's side. “Oh no no no no no! There's no need to die because you've killed a few monsters,” said the soft voiced pony, misinterpreting the earth pony's reason for contemplating death.

“No, i-it's not that. I met somepony, and s-she said that I was o-o-only good for t-t-two things. We had only just m-met, and she had judged me s-so well u-up to that point, so what was to s-stop her from being wr-wrong about this. I-I should lay under a r-rock to die.”

The yellow mare had to take a moment to let this sink in. She then asked, “What about the other thing?”

“Well, I-I ah, work as a spy for a lonely and curious s-stallion. H-he stays in his house m-most of the time, but likes to learn all he can about other p-ponies. He was nice to me after I was b-banished from my home t-town, and he is one of the f-few who know what I can do, a-and why it is s-so easy for me to spy and k-k-kill.” Inn did not know why she was saying all this, but something about the Yellow Pegasus made Inn feel that she could trust her.

The yellow mare seemed to be thinking of topic as fast as she could. “Oh my, who do you work for?”

Inn just laid there. She did not want to answer this question.

“Oh, okay, ah... what is your talent that makes it so easy to spy... and ah...” she turned her head away, “other things.”

Inn did not respond.

“What's your name?”

No answer.

“Oh, my... ah... Do you live in the forest?”

“Ah, ah, y-yes.”

“Oh, an answer. So um, what kinds of plants and trees did you make it out of?” asked the pony happy to have gotten another response.

Looking down, Inn answers, “M-manticore, ch-chimera, Timber wolf, and d-d-dragon.”

“Oh, oooh...you didn't think it would be easier to make it with wood?” the pegasus sounded shocked and confused.

“H-how? I would need a s-saw to cut down the t-trees for wood, Then some n-nails to hold it all together, and a hammer to h-hammer in the nails. It's not like I-I could h-have-” Inn had a brief moment of realization. “I-I could of d-done it. I-I didn't need to k-k-kill for my hut! I am useless! I do d-deserve to die!”

“No your not useless! You just made bad choices!” the yellow pegasus said as she stood in front of the sulking white pony.

“But I made those bad choices because I'm useless.”

“Okay, if you still think that just try to remember one thing for me...”

Inn looked up. “W-what is it?”

“Always look on the bright side of life.”

Inn was at first happy to hear these words again. The same words that gave her hope before, but did she deserve them now? “W-what bright side? How is there a b-bright side to d-dieing in vain? I've k-killed all those monsters for n-n-nothing. Th-the fear in the dragon's eyes as I-I was-” Inn stopped herself there.

The pegasus stood there for a few seconds thinking, “You did all that for survival, you have an excuse. You did not think things through fully, and made a mistake, but that mistake still saved your life and that was the intent, right?”

“Yeah, but-”

“But nothing, I will not take suicide for an answer!” the yellow pegasus said, stomping a hoof. Immediately she lowered her head and added softly “That is, I mean, Please don't. If you wouldn't mind.”

Inn thought about how a pony she had just met was being so kind. The pegasus was determined to see Inn live even though Inn was looking for death. Now Inn had regained some of her will to live. She stood up, “O-okay, you win.” Inn made her way to the other pony, who was happily waiting for Inn to come to safety.

As they started to walk, a pink and blue butterfly flew over to the rock above where Inn had been laying down. Suddenly, the rock shifted, startling the butterfly, which flew off as the large hunk of stone crashed to the ground, making it shake.

The two looked at the big boulder as it lay in Inn's former place.

“Always look on the bright side of life,” the yellow and pink pony repeated nervously, “if you don't mind”

“Yeah, y-you bet.”

“Wait... a dragon looked at you in fear?”

PreviousChapters Next